Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

Post by greeneyed »

Melbourne Storm looking to add Blake Austin for 2019

MELBOURNE are set to launch a bid to sign Raiders playmaker Blake Austin for 2019. Still looking for a long-term replacement for Cooper Cronk, the Storm have joined Parramatta in the battle to sign Austin.

He wants to return to his home town of Sydney but the lure of playing under super coach Craig Bellamy may tip the scales in Melbourne’s favour.

Meanwhile, English club Castleford are desperate for a fullback - and have targeted Raiders back-up Brad Abbey.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/19/07/ ... ake-austin
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Melbourne Storm looking to add Blake Austin for 2019

Post by Coastalraider »

Basically every li e in that article contradicts reality.

He won't leave, he hasn't been offered a contract.

He isnt back in form, we just won a game, and he scored a try.

He isn't in demand, both Melbourne and Parra can understand he is running out of options so they can get a versatile, experienced back up on low coin.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bulldust...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Man, that contract he knocked back.... wooooof

anyways, id love to see him under Bellemy, the talent is all there to be a superstar, albeit a limited one given his kicking and passing game... not sure he'll ever have it all together though
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seems like a manager article to me, I don't see Melbourne having halves of Munster and Austin
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

-TW- wrote: June 19, 2018, 12:45 pm Seems like a manager article to me, I don't see Melbourne having halves of Munster and Austin
Munster will be fullback soon enough, but yeah, it's hard to see Bellamy accepting the downsides of Austin's play.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Thanks for your time at canberra blake...... but its time to move on
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Beejay wrote: June 19, 2018, 1:08 pm
-TW- wrote: June 19, 2018, 12:45 pm Seems like a manager article to me, I don't see Melbourne having halves of Munster and Austin
Munster will be fullback soon enough, but yeah, it's hard to see Bellamy accepting the downsides of Austin's play.
Definitely an article from his agent. If he goes to another NRL club it will be as a back up half.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Isn't that the same story from a couple of months ago? Just replaced the name Sezer with Austin.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

He showed glimpses of what he's capable of against the Tiges, but there was also way too much of why we need to find a replacement on display. That contract he knocked back will surely haunt him.

The million dollar question is - should he go, will we be able to find someone to fill his boots? Williams and Hingano are no upgrade.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I wont be sad to see him go.
I also wont be surprised if Bellyache turns him into a world beater. However, that will be more on the coach than the player.

Where does he fit though?
Surely you cant have Munster and Austin in the halves. Surely 2 ball runners with average kicking games wont work. Though Smith is carrying them ATM.
If Munster goes to fullback, what do they do with Hughes? He is also highly rated there.
Not to mention Jacks and Croft. I know Croft got dropped, but they put a hell of a lot of time and effort into him not to give him a second shot.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: June 19, 2018, 1:58 pm He showed glimpses of what he's capable of against the Tiges, but there was also way too much of why we need to find a replacement on display. That contract he knocked back will surely haunt him.

The million dollar question is - should he go, will we be able to find someone to fill his boots? Williams and Hingano are no upgrade.
I don't think Williams is a downgrade really. Creates as many points and lets just as many in. At least he is way cheaper.

If we fall out of contention for the 8 by the end of the month and assuming he isn't sacked I'd be handing Jack the spot for the rest of the year. I reckon he is much better equipped to it now and we have some good fullback options, and an exciting wing option in Ravalawa.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

This continues my belief that Austin is worth the effort.

Sezer should not have been re-signed.

Any time the Storm look at a player and genuinely want to sign him, the current club should make every effort to keep that player on their books.

The view held by people that he isn't worth keeping just seems absurd to me.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

More likely to go to Eels
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I would not be letting him go unless we've got a clear upgrade in the bag.

Sezer/Williams or Sezer/Hingano misses the 8.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Love4Noa wrote: June 19, 2018, 2:19 pm This continues my belief that Austin is worth the effort.

Any time the Storm look at a player and genuinely want to sign him, the current club should make every effort to keep that player on their books.

I don't think it's absurd to look at letting a player go who hasn't defended at a first grade level for a long period. What do you think of his defense?

The Storm also sign plenty of duds, especially lately. I mean I don't think we should've thrown the bank at TLL, Nicholls, Hawkins and Troy Thompson when they got interested.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Love4Noa wrote: June 19, 2018, 2:19 pm This continues my belief that Austin is worth the effort.

well the storm were chasing sezer....
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Where does the idea come from that we now have any say of whether he stays or not? He's knocked back 2 contracts. Pretty sure that shows our say in this is over.

Change is required and the club picked Sezer so time to move on.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

If the option were to keep one, I would take Austin over Sezer any day of the week. Austin has at least shown his potential at the Raiders in 2015 while Sezer is yet to put more than one/two games together with any consistency.

However, as this decision has already been made with Sezer's re-signing and considering it looks like his position is cemented in for the near future, we need to find someone who can complement his style.

???
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Shows flashes and can score a try but lets as many points in and im not so sure hes a team player at all.

Can we do a swap with a Storm player?
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Ill be sad to see Austin go but from what ive heard from a female raiders players, his public persona is a but different from his private persona, i dont want norman, the guy is a loose unit and only a slight upgrade on austin in my opinion. I think we need to go after a good halfback either from the uk or from the melbourne system, brodie croft or such.....if our spine next year contains williams then all will be lost
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Happy to see Austin go and I'd prefer we set our targets on an elite half, even if that means having to use Williams or Wighton next year.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I'm happy with Hodgson running the show and Sezer basically doing what he's told.

He can alleviate some pressure off of Hodgo by just kicking into the corners and basically just shuffling the ball out wide and let the rest of the team do the work. Don't miss any tackles and his role should be very simple and would benefit as a season progresses.

As for Austin he probably needs to go to a Storm system, wants to be the main man which he isn't cut out for and probably needs to brought back a peg or 2.

Not fussed whether we go after a fullback or 5/8, there's plenty of good fullbacks so I'd probably go after a fullback and with Wighton into 6. Not to sure but earlier Albert Kelly was having a good season over in the EPL at 6 or Ben Barba @ 1. Both may have matured with age or you could make positional changes and bring in a winger. Plenty of options Imo to make things better next year.
WorkChoice
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

pacman wrote: June 19, 2018, 3:26 pm If the option were to keep one, I would take Austin over Sezer any day of the week. Austin has at least shown his potential at the Raiders in 2015 while Sezer is yet to put more than one/two games together with any consistency.

However, as this decision has already been made with Sezer's re-signing and considering it looks like his position is cemented in for the near future, we need to find someone who can complement his style.

???
Really is a tough one deciding between the two. In attack I much prefer Austin. He's in and out of games, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing when you are as erratic as he and Sezer are. Sezer overplays his hand way too much in attack.

Defensively Austin is a nightmare though.

With Hodgson back I guess I prefer Sezer. He won't have to do so much and defensively he is much more sound.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

God I hope this is true... I’m hoping for a miracle where we sign this amazing halve by June 30 and we remove Austin and have a new halve begin from 1 July!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Timbo wrote:I would not be letting him go unless we've got a clear upgrade in the bag.

Sezer/Williams or Sezer/Hingano misses the 8.
Sezer and Austin also misses the 8..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

LP Raider wrote: Not fussed whether we go after a fullback or 5/8, there's plenty of good fullbacks so I'd probably go after a fullback and with Wighton into 6. Not to sure but earlier Albert Kelly was having a good season over in the EPL at 6 or Ben Barba @ 1. Both may have matured with age or you could make positional changes and bring in a winger. Plenty of options Imo to make things better next year.
Don’t buy a fullback until you’ve tried Cotric and Rapana there I reckon.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The way Wighton is playing we don't need a fullback....
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

How about we swap Austin for Croft?
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Matt wrote:How about we swap Austin for Croft?
I wouldn’t be upset at that to be honest. Would still prefer Norman or if Norman went to the Cowboys maybe Martin might be an option?

I saw people on Facebook suggest Kane Elgey, I reckon he is garbage but people seem to think him and Sezer went well at the Titans together, I honestly can’t remember? I don’t remember the Titans being World Beaters.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's a rumour going around that he's toured the facilities
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I don't think Elgey is any better than Sam Williams tbh
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'll tell you now (and probably be wrong but who knows?) that Austin will go and Abbey will be the new 5/8. We will have a big bank set up from losing Austin, Paulo and Boyd, and we will be set up for a play at whatever half comes available sooner or later. who would be walking into a a win-now situation with a ready-made team.

Sezer will do as he's told - 6 or 7, he'll do it.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Isn't Abbey off to England? Also can the kid pass a ball?
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Raiders666 wrote:I don't think Elgey is any better than Sam Williams tbh
Kane Elgey is twice the player Sam Williams is. I am basing that on his form the year he made his debut. Lots of injuries since, plus change of players and coaches around him. Hope we get him cheap and give him a decent shot. His defence is crap but if he captures the form he started with, it wont matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk