Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Blake Austin set to leave Raiders

Post by Coastalraider »

It just really grinds my gears the language used in these articles - he isn't going to quit the raiders, we have not got an offer on the table. They talk like he is a superstar, but he has been dropped to reserve grade in a side that includes Sezer and Williams. That is not a superstar level player.

I had such high hopes he was going to be a Daley like legend of the club after 2016, but he really isn't first grade standard in anyones team anymore.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I guess it depends on who you listen to and what you hear...

TR has suggested Austin told the club 18 months ago he wouldnt stay here.
He had a very large deal on the table and knocked it back, and we’ve not tabled an offer since… i guess you could take him knocking back our offer as electing to leave the club, but it'd be fair to say, and the club has made it quite clear they're not remotely interested in having him back either given the current state of play and im sure if we put that original offer back on the table, or even something close to it, Austin would jump to sign it.

So that really doesnt seem like a situation where he's quit this club
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

True, but it sounds like the reason he knocked back the initial offer wasn't because he wanted to move on, it was because he thought he was worth more, and wanted a chance to prove that with his performances. If that is indeed the case, it one of the biggest blunders Ive seen.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

irrespective of his reasons, it's a catastrophic financial decision. Assuming he signs some 2-3 year deal with Warrington for 800k... basically Austin bet on himself and lost to the tune of around 2.2 million bucks

Thats... i mean... not great, Bob.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

Can you really include representing Portugal as an achievement???
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter Mulholland has said he was offered two contracts and turned them both down. It’s been reported the second offer was reduced. Raiders then said... no more offers.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Turning down 2 offers would certainly burn a few bridges. Esp, when the reason was, 'watch me earn my new inflated contract', then in 13 games, proceeds to miss 31 tackles, with a 77% efficiency rating, have 14 try causes (which means every 2nd miss is a try BTW), 16 line break causes, 13 errors, 8 penalties, incl. a trip to the sin bin.

In his favour, he has 3 tries, 7 assists, 6 line breaks, 9 line break assists, 9 offloads, 32 tackle busts and 718m run.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: July 6, 2018, 1:18 pm Turning down 2 offers would certainly burn a few bridges. Esp, when the reason was, 'watch me earn my new inflated contract', then in 13 games, proceeds to miss 31 tackles, with a 77% efficiency rating, have 14 try causes (which means every 2nd miss is a try BTW), 16 line break causes, 13 errors, 8 penalties, incl. a trip to the sin bin.

In his favour, he has 3 tries, 7 assists, 6 line breaks, 9 line break assists, 9 offloads, 32 tackle busts and 718m run.
Well thats bloody depressing reading Matt.

I know stats can be used to tell any story, but thats damning.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: July 6, 2018, 1:28 pm
Matt wrote: July 6, 2018, 1:18 pm Turning down 2 offers would certainly burn a few bridges. Esp, when the reason was, 'watch me earn my new inflated contract', then in 13 games, proceeds to miss 31 tackles, with a 77% efficiency rating, have 14 try causes (which means every 2nd miss is a try BTW), 16 line break causes, 13 errors, 8 penalties, incl. a trip to the sin bin.

Would you pick this bloke in your 17?
Coz I wouldn't.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: July 6, 2018, 1:54 pm

Coz I wouldn't.
I would have dropped him last year, never to be seen again, he was consistently putting in performances at least as bad as his performance against Brisbane almost on a weekly basis in 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: July 6, 2018, 1:57 pm

Coz I wouldn't.
I would have dropped him last year, never to be seen again, he was consistently putting in performances at least as bad as his performance against Brisbane almost on a weekly basis in 2017
After 4 games this yr, I was ready to pack his bags and pay his plane ticket. So, I agree.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: July 6, 2018, 2:04 pm
kiwi raider wrote: July 6, 2018, 1:57 pm

Coz I wouldn't.
After 4 games this yr, I was ready to pack his bags and pay his plane ticket. So, I agree.
Theres no room in a first grade 17 for stats like that.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Yet we wont go out and recruit a half decent half
Perth Based Raiders Fan
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Classy Raiders five eighth Break Austin.. :lol:

If he was a classy superstar we'd be keeping him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

As an aside, have you seen the latest NRL match stats? They are starting to get pretty good, they have average PTB speed, split errors into categories and have the stint times for each player. Nothing consolidated yet unfortunately, it's all match by match.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

How does Paul Vaughan rate?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I was pretty sceptical about Austin following up on his form after his breakout season in 2015. It's pretty common to see older players who have a sensational season out of nowhere struggle to regain that form, especially when their defence is more than a bit suspect. (Reece Robinson was another in the same category.)

In saying that, his fall from the heights of 2015 has been a bit more spectacular that I expected.

His last two seasons have been bitterly disappointing.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't remember Reece having an injury? I just remember him refusing to tackle
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who mentioned injury?
Um Jammer Lammy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: David Milne

Post by Um Jammer Lammy »

I think the most baffling thing is we offered him a big fat contract after his poor 2017 before seeing how he'd go this year. It is just good fortune that he turned us down, doesn't fill me with much confidence in our coaching/management.
Golden Boogs 2006: McLinden Award
Golden Boogs 2007: Personality of the Year
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:Who mentioned injury?
Swear I saw something about an injury, maybe I just can't read
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Um Jammer Lammy wrote:I think the most baffling thing is we offered him a big fat contract after his poor 2017 before seeing how he'd go this year. It is just good fortune that he turned us down, doesn't fill me with much confidence in our coaching/management.
He was one of Sticky’s best mates back then.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: July 6, 2018, 4:46 pm

As an aside, have you seen the latest NRL match stats? They are starting to get pretty good, they have average PTB speed, split errors into categories and have the stint times for each player. Nothing consolidated yet unfortunately, it's all match by match.
I didnt. But wow!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Blake Austin set to announce new deal

Blake Austin admits it was a tough week leading into his side's meeting with Canterbury at Belmore but hopes the next seven days will be more enjoyable after his turbo-charged match-winning stint off the bench, with an announcement on his future imminent.

"In my head yeah, I'm probably closer than close [to knowing]. I know what's going on but we'll have to sit back and wait and see what's going to happen. It will be this week sometime, we'll make an announcement and I'm really excited for it," he said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/08/bla ... a-raiders/

Brent Read saying on The Sunday Footy Show Blake Austin is set to go to Warrington Wolves.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What Break gave us for 15mins last night was just sensational. I've never questioned his attack even though it has also gone off the boil the past couple of years. Last night showed us what he is capable of. But let's not paper over the cracks here. His defence is terrible and no club can afford to carry a player without shoulders.

We offered him two deals, he declined both. See ya Break...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The guy is a fantastic ball runner. If that is all we needed him to do he would be worth a million bucks. Last night all he had to do was run the ball. We barely had to defend while he was on the field
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: July 8, 2018, 1:10 pm What Break gave us for 15mins last night was just sensational. I've never questioned his attack even though it has also gone off the boil the past couple of years. Last night showed us what he is capable of. But let's not paper over the cracks here. His defence is terrible and no club can afford to carry a player without shoulders.

We offered him two deals, he declined both. See ya Break...
100% my thoughts too.
We all know he can do what he did last night.
We also know that he has the Broncos game in him too.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

We all know he is a great ball runner and support player, that is why I always believed his best position is a super sub off the bench to do just that. Follow the play, support and run.

He will kill it in England. Don’t know how he will go moving his family of 4 over there but good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Blake Austin should be re-signed to the club for one reason only.

He is a better player and a bigger threat than Aidan Sezer.

This club is going nowhere why that horrible excuse for a first grader plays for us.

Austin isn't amazing - but he's better than the other guy.

Stupidity at it's highest level. Furner and co need to go.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He can't defend at NRL level, there is nothing stupid about not keeping him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's not the NFL where he can be dragged for defence. He's an absolute liability
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Could he defend in '15 and '16 or was he just not targeted?
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Love4Noa wrote:Blake Austin should be re-signed to the club for one reason only.

He is a better player and a bigger threat than Aidan Sezer.

This club is going nowhere why that horrible excuse for a first grader plays for us.

Austin isn't amazing - but he's better than the other guy.

Stupidity at it's highest level. Furner and co need to go.
Nah.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

edwahu wrote: July 8, 2018, 2:53 pm Could he defend in '15 and '16 or was he just not targeted?
He has always had a rep as a bad defender. 2016 the entire edge just clicked and all the bad decision makers were making good calls.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

we were going nowhere Last night till Blake got on and won us the game Another reason the Club should keep him he proved he's a Match winner