Raiders Stadium in Las Vegas provides a blueprint for Canberra

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders Stadium in Las Vegas provides a blueprint for new stadium for Canberra Raiders

Finally, the Raiders are set to play in a brand new stadium in the heart of the city. No, not the Canberra Raiders. The Oakland Raiders, who are set to relocate to Las Vegas for the 2020 NFL season and play out of a brand new, 65,000 seat, $1.84 billion stadium with a retractable roof a short walk away from the strip.

"There’s no doubt that it is very close to the Las Vegas strip," Aguero said. "The expectation is the stadium itself will have a significant impact on the community, both in terms of construction of the project - it’s a $1.84 billion project.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zke6.html
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders Stadium in Las Vegas provides a blueprint for Canberra

Post by Walter »

Seriously a $1.84 billion blueprint? I watched the Socceroos at Groupama Arena in Budapest on Saturday and it was brilliant. Capacity of approximately 24,000, all undercover, brilliant views and close to the pitch and it cost less than AUD $65 million and took less than 18 months to build. Perhaps out blueprint should be a little more achievable.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Walter wrote:Seriously a $1.84 billion blueprint? I watched the Socceroos at Groupama Arena in Budapest on Saturday and it was brilliant. Capacity of approximately 24,000, all undercover, brilliant views and close to the pitch and it cost less than AUD $65 million and took less than 18 months to build. Perhaps out blueprint should be a little more achievable.
Problem is Canberra has some of the most expensive construction costs in the world.

Shenzhen can build a 12km Light Rail (much more complex and twice the stops) for $200 million, we do it for five times the cost at a $billion.

New Budapest apartment for $80k and we build one for $400k.

Erindale got a bus interchange upgrade for a million bucks. Looked to me like about $50k worth of cement and a $20 dollar mural from the local primary school.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:
Walter wrote:Seriously a $1.84 billion blueprint? I watched the Socceroos at Groupama Arena in Budapest on Saturday and it was brilliant. Capacity of approximately 24,000, all undercover, brilliant views and close to the pitch and it cost less than AUD $65 million and took less than 18 months to build. Perhaps out blueprint should be a little more achievable.
Problem is Canberra has some of the most expensive construction costs in the world.

Shenzhen can build a 12km Light Rail (much more complex and twice the stops) for $200 million, we do it for five times the cost at a $billion.

New Budapest apartment for $80k and we build one for $400k.

Erindale got a bus interchange upgrade for a million bucks. Looked to me like about $50k worth of cement and a $20 dollar mural from the local primary school.
You could spend a billion in Erindale and it would still look like that.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fair point Reptar
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I saw that Stadium in Budapest the other day and thought that is exactly what we need.

I take the point on things being so much cheaper in Budapest. I have been there and everything was very cheap. It is a great city or in fact two cities Buda and Pest, which came together despite being on either side of the Danube.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Latest news is the new stadium construction will begin immediately after the high speed rail is completed.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

We should get a discount if we put the CFMEU back on our jerseys
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I hope the new Stadium is built with the future growth of Canberra in mind. Also possible events. Should the Raiders again make the finals then the current capacity at GIO stadium is tested. Same with the Brumbies. Should the A-League and W-League expand into Canberra then the Stadium could be used all year round. One off events like visiting Football teams and Rugby League and Rugby test matches would also need a larger stadium. The smallest stadiums in Russia for the Fifa World Cup have a 35,000 seat capacity. I hope the ACT Government is looking at a similar size covered venue. The old 'if you build it they will come' has some validity imo.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

You can add concerts to the list of things utilise the stadium for Red. Phil Kearns is on the board for Homebush and Moore Park, and said their biggest revenue raiser this year so far has been Ed Sheeran.

People have to stop looking at these as simply stadiums, and treat them as entertainment venues

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Who went to see Dire Straits at Bruce Stadium and are they still drying out?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 14, 2018, 7:28 am You can add concerts to the list of things utilise the stadium for Red. Phil Kearns is on the board for Homebush and Moore Park, and said their biggest revenue raiser this year so far has been Ed Sheeran.

People have to stop looking at these as simply stadiums, and treat them as entertainment venues

How many concerts pull 30,000 people in Canberra? I dont follow the scene much anymore but what was the last big act to come to Canberra? It is too risky for any promoter to try and sell 30,000 tickets as opposed to up the road in Sydney.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 14, 2018, 7:28 am You can add concerts to the list of things utilise the stadium for Red. Phil Kearns is on the board for Homebush and Moore Park, and said their biggest revenue raiser this year so far has been Ed Sheeran.

How many concerts pull 30,000 people in Canberra? I dont follow the scene much anymore but what was the last big act to come to Canberra? It is too risky for any promoter to try and sell 30,000 tickets as opposed to up the road in Sydney.
I think the last two big acts at CS were Keith Urban and Elton John. Both got big crowds.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

They're pretty good, but they aren't no justice crew..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What are the actual figures? I tried to find numbers for Groovin the Moo because I thought that would be a decent attendance but couldn't find an actual number and I don't know that a festival is suited to a stadium.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:

WIN Stadium was sold out for Elton John... WIN stadium... in Wollongong ****.

People will travel if they’re big enough. I know people from down home (Bega) who would travel to Canberra for gigs. They say Sydney’s too far for them.

I cant imagine Bruce working well for a stadium concert, but I’ve never been to one to judge. For it to work, you’d need a proper enclosed stadium closer to the CBD.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

With the right act under the right circumstances I guess it could work. But for it to work it would have to be a weekend concert and historically Canberra and/or regional centres get midweek gigs because Sydney could sell out several shows of a much larger capacity than Canberra. I guess with the right management they could make it work.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

No way would I be making the stadium bigger than 25k-30k. Why would you build a stadium that big if 90% of the time it would be less than a third full.

Build a replica of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_Barr_Stadium . This suits the needs of many with its ability to move around seating to host other events.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

reptar wrote: June 14, 2018, 8:55 am Who went to see Dire Straits at Bruce Stadium and are they still drying out?
We did. We’re still damp but getting there
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:With the right act under the right circumstances I guess it could work. But for it to work it would have to be a weekend concert and historically Canberra and/or regional centres get midweek gigs because Sydney could sell out several shows of a much larger capacity than Canberra. I guess with the right management they could make it work.
Yeah for sure weekend concerts would work better. Take Ed Sheeran for example, his Sydney shows sold out in minutes. Sydney people would travel to Canberra to see him 100%. Then add Canberra locals, plus the regional areas south of Sydney.

They just need the right people working for the stadium to selling the hell out of it for these promoters. I reckon the kind of proposals being talked about here would be a lot easier to sell than Bruce

Nickman's love of NSW
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

sprintman wrote: June 14, 2018, 4:00 pm
reptar wrote: June 14, 2018, 8:55 am Who went to see Dire Straits at Bruce Stadium and are they still drying out?
We did. We’re still damp but getting there
Likewise! I still remember the evening before was absolutely perfect!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Was he going for the World shearing record, currently held by NZer Matt Smith with 731 Ewes over 9 hours. He must be well known to only use his first name. It is said during the World record attempt that Mahe Fonua popped his head in for a look and got in the way.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Stick with the original plan to build similar to the Glasshouse at Dunedin.

This will be a suitable solution for canberra. Building multi purpose for large ground AFL, rectangle League and smaller is a recipe for unsuitable League watching and poor cost benefit return.

This is an excellent podcast about the success of purpose built stadiums and why the world has moved away from multipurpose disasters.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ ... -ballpark/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: June 15, 2018, 4:37 pm Stick with the original plan to build similar to the Glasshouse at Dunedin.

This will be a suitable solution for canberra. Building multi purpose for large ground AFL, rectangle League and smaller is a recipe for unsuitable League watching and poor cost benefit return.

This is an excellent podcast about the success of purpose built stadiums and why the world has moved away from multipurpose disasters.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ ... -ballpark/
That’s a really good podcast. Interesting that the architects who built these ball parks also built Sydney Olympic Park... Eden Park... Etihad Stadium... Lang Park... and Forsyth Barr: https://populous.com/projects/type/stadia/

I’m sure they could do something for Canberra!