All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Siliva Havili set to sign two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by RTW »

Northern Raider wrote:
scotchberry wrote: June 17, 2018, 10:07 pm Tonight’s match shows exactly why we shouldn’t be spending anymore than close to minimum $ for the guy.

As much as he has shown and yes - he is a 1st grade standard hooker. We have a Superstar at 9 and 3 international 80 minute backrowers on the books.

I really like the man and want him in our 14 - but going forward he really isn’t getting more than 10 odd minutes a match.
Yeah, as good as Havili has been we saw in that game the difference a top class hooker makes. I think his value at 14 could be more than just a few cameos at dummy half. He's quite a capable middle forward and could easily come into that rotation. No reason he can't play 30-40 mins in the middle and slot into dummy half if Hodgo needs a spell.
If Hodgo needs a spell that is 10min
If Papalii needs a spell another ten.

No way are you playing him at prop. His time on the field going forward will be limited but that is the role of a number 14 if he is happy to play that role and stay for minimum dollars you keep him.

If he gets a better offer somewhere else with a promise of more minutes you let him go with your best wishes and find the next bloke who can give you ten quality minutes off the bench.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Siliva Havili set to sign two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Northern Raider »

RTW wrote: June 18, 2018, 9:17 am
Northern Raider wrote:
scotchberry wrote: June 17, 2018, 10:07 pm Tonight’s match shows exactly why we shouldn’t be spending anymore than close to minimum $ for the guy.

As much as he has shown and yes - he is a 1st grade standard hooker. We have a Superstar at 9 and 3 international 80 minute backrowers on the books.

I really like the man and want him in our 14 - but going forward he really isn’t getting more than 10 odd minutes a match.
Yeah, as good as Havili has been we saw in that game the difference a top class hooker makes. I think his value at 14 could be more than just a few cameos at dummy half. He's quite a capable middle forward and could easily come into that rotation. No reason he can't play 30-40 mins in the middle and slot into dummy half if Hodgo needs a spell.
If Hodgo needs a spell that is 10min
If Papalii needs a spell another ten.

No way are you playing him at prop. His time on the field going forward will be limited but that is the role of a number 14 if he is happy to play that role and stay for minimum dollars you keep him.

If he gets a better offer somewhere else with a promise of more minutes you let him go with your best wishes and find the next bloke who can give you ten quality minutes off the bench.
I would say if he gets a "better offer" somewhere else then they can all wait till his contract has ended after the 2020 season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I mean he can play lock pushing papalii into front row.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Paps played prop yesterday when Bateman came on didn't he? Theres a very blurry line between them but I'm basing this on the kickoff set up when Paps was in the first hit up position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2018, 12:07 pm Paps played prop yesterday when Bateman came on didn't he? Theres a very blurry line between them but I'm basing this on the kickoff set up when Paps was in the first hit up position.
I dunno, I can't stop looking at Jamie Buhrer go flying. That IS Buhrer, yeah?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2018, 12:07 pm Paps played prop yesterday when Bateman came on didn't he? Theres a very blurry line between them but I'm basing this on the kickoff set up when Paps was in the first hit up position.
crash test buhrer

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Have we missed Junior?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Johno wrote:Have we missed Junior?
Definitely his offloads. A distinct lack of second phase play since his injury.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

reptar wrote:
I’m not sure, I guess it’s like seeing the bottom of a plane at 30,000ft, can’t quite identify who’s plane it is.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

I guess with the forward rotation going forward might bring Havili’s value up. Luke Bateman is looking likely to be 1st cab off the bench next season at this stage which is worrying - Havili could possibly be better than him.

I think next season we are going to miss Junior a lot more than we will miss Boyd.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2018, 9:43 am "better offer" somewhere else then they can all wait till his contract has ended after the 2020 season.
Havili is not someone who moves the needle, he's a solid player and one we can use but one we could also fairly easily replace.
Why would you risk alienating yourself to other prospective depth players, and keep a potential malcontent in the locker room? To what end? What would you trying to achieve with that?

If some club wants to pay Havili substancially more money, with the promise of a bigger role and he wants to leave. Letting him leave is exactly the easy, simple "we're good guys who look after our players" move we should make

The moment you start standing in the way of guys like Havili getting bigger and better opportunities when you dont have a great need for them, is the moment you stop being an attractive place for guys like Havili coming here and rounding out your squad.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Siliva Havili set to sign two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by LastRaider »

scotchberry wrote:Tonight’s match shows exactly why we shouldn’t be spending anymore than close to minimum $ for the guy.

I agree. If we are paying more than minimal wage it just isn’t worth it. It can be filled by an up and coming u20’s player who could be a future first grader or our next prodigy. Hodgson needs to be playing most of the 80 mins in the future

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

We have the luxury of carrying someone like havili on the bench and him not getting any minutes. And skilled/mobile middle third forwards are increasing in value. We’d have been screwed without him this year I doubt we’d let him go. He brings a lot to a footy team
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

CJ42 wrote: June 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
reptar wrote:
I’m not sure, I guess it’s like seeing the bottom of a plane at 30,000ft, can’t quite identify who’s plane it is.
Yep, definitely Buhrer. I'll need to change it by next year as Paulo won't be here any more.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Northern Raider wrote:
CJ42 wrote: June 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
reptar wrote:
Yep, definitely Buhrer. I'll need to change it by next year as Paulo won't be here any more.
Haha I know it was him, you can just change it to the time papa smoked him.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Siliva sure has silky passing skills and is a very good defender. With a little work on his kicking game I wonder how he would go at 5/8. We have used EW in the position. I know he is a FG level No9 and will be a handy back up back rower. I just wonder if his utility value could be further increased if he proved to be capable with a 6 on his back. Should this season become mathematically impossible to make the 8, I hope we will test a lot of potential options for 2019.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:Siliva sure has silky passing skills and is a very good defender. With a little work on his kicking game I wonder how he would go at 5/8. We have used EW in the position. I know he is a FG level No9 and will be a handy back up back rower. I just wonder if his utility value could be further increased if he proved to be capable with a 6 on his back. Should this season become mathematically impossible to make the 8, I hope we will test a lot of potential options for 2019.
poor Red, his rubber band has finally snapped too.

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: July 4, 2018, 6:14 pm
RedRaider wrote:Siliva sure has silky passing skills and is a very good defender. With a little work on his kicking game I wonder how he would go at 5/8. We have used EW in the position. I know he is a FG level No9 and will be a handy back up back rower. I just wonder if his utility value could be further increased if he proved to be capable with a 6 on his back. Should this season become mathematically impossible to make the 8, I hope we will test a lot of potential options for 2019.
poor Red, his rubber band has finally snapped too.

:D And the Hamster in the Hamster wheel is sick..