Panthers 13+
25%

Total votes: 8

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: 2018 Rd 14 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Raider Azz »

RedRaider wrote:
-GD- wrote: June 9, 2018, 7:35 am In Crokers defence, as soon as we got the penalty Brett White was sprinting out with two fingers in air telling them to take the two.
I missed that GD, but if there is ever a vote of 'No Confidence' in the ability of the Captain to make the correct on field decisions then that is it. The Coach having to tell the Captain what to do after nearly 5 years in the role. The Coach has just let the world know what he thinks of his Captains decision making ability. Time to move him on Sticky. By your actions you don't have a Captain on the park, you have a rubber stamp.
Lol wat. This is the dumbest **** I've ever read

Every coach does that every week. Hell, in State of Origin a call came from the bench to take two points at obe point...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Splade
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Splade »

To be honest, I can see the logic in putting Hingano on the wing rather than shifting Croker or cotric over.
Having two makeshift edges is potentially more damaging than one poor one.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Splade wrote:To be honest, I can see the logic in putting Hingano on the wing rather than shifting Croker or cotric over.
Having two makeshift edges is potentially more damaging than one poor one.
One poor one that got targeted repeatedly..
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

2018 Rd 14 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by RTW »

A number of weeks ago Stuart openly criticised Sezer for not taking a field goal shot late in the game ( I can’t remember which game and the fact we lost after holding a lead doesn’t exactly narrow it down). With time running out Sezer decides to run it on the fourth. He had a forward inside and outside of him but went himself. The defence held off him and he actually got a very quick play the ball. Which is the perfect time to kick a field goal. Would people be complaining as much if it shaved the upright and missed?

For mine it was the right idea off a quick play the ball and only one marker but the execution was very poor which makes it look even worse!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Charlie Gubb faces 1-2 week suspension for Cleary tackle

Gubb was hit with a grade two dangerous contact charge over a 47th-minute tackle on Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary and faces a one-match ban if he pleads guilty or a two-match suspension if he is found guilty at the judiciary.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/09/cha ... spensions/

Cleary still getting used to his Origin state: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zkit.html
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Tapine is back this week so Gubb going will eliminate the need to drop anyone. Excellent news.
ronkiew
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by ronkiew »

Fair dinkum! Some people on this forum have been posting for weeks about how we haven’t beaten anyone higher than us on the table and how we were going to be beaten by 30 by the top teams. Then we play the team on top of the ladder. We lose by a field goal in the end (always a lottery) with 44% possession, still without Tapine and Paulo, then losing Joey in the first couple of minutes and then Rapa – and these people still complain! Yes Penrith had players backing up but those individuals had the adrenalin boost of coming off a win - they all played well and didn’t look like running out of gas. Yes Penrith do have a long list of injured players but they already made it to the top of the ladder without them.

There are 16 teams in the competition, 8 lose every week and 15 of them, including us, won’t be winning the GF this year. Since some of you obviously have such a poor opinion of several players in our team not to mention the coach, why are you so upset when we lose. I too get frustrated and disappointed when we lose, but my frustration is because I believe we do have a good side and I am always hopeful of/ expecting a win. After a loss, small or big, I’m usually down for a while especially when we have shot ourselves in the foot, but I recognise the effort put in by the players and that the other team is trying to win too. I also like to watch a replay before making too many judgements.

I am always unhappy about our errors – we do make a lot of them – and those penalties that are deserved. But at least some of the errors seem to come from trying too hard and I find that preferable to not trying.

It must be awful for the players, especially the ones who cop so much bagging. Poor Hingano. It was hard seeing his face when he came off the field after the game – he was crushed. He hasn’t been a shining light so far but he is young and he tries. I’m not sure any different bench selections would have made a whole lot of difference last night with the positions we had to cover, unless Oldfield had been on the bench.

I have followed rugby league for many years, but I’m certainly not an expert. I joined this forum because there would be people on it that know a lot about rugby league from experience and who could give positive criticisms and explanations of what happens in games and the issues that arise. It’s a shame so many posts are focussed on rubbishing individual players and the coach, or wishing we had some other player in our team. It’s really a waste of breath and time since Ricky isn’t going anywhere, and this is the roster we have for this year.

As for Jarrod not having a good year (2nd highest point scorer in the league and 2nd highest try scorer for the team) or not being a good captain – every day I am so thankful that he is in our team!

And finally so pleased for the guy who won the $50000 at halftime and spoke about the trials and commitment of being a Raiders supporter – now there’s a fan!
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Well said mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And all of that would mean something if it wasn’t something like loss 20 by less than 6 points in two years, with the team leading probably half of those into the final few minutes.

The effort would mean something if the players and coaches didn’t endlessly make the same mistakes and refuse to even acknowledge there’s a problem.

They might as well not try if they are not going to address the giant **** elephant in the room which will result in a perfectly capable team enjoying another round of September holidays.

There’s only so much stupidity a fan can take. It doesn’t matter how much glitter you throw on the stupid.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s a good post Ron... but it is the NRL. Trying hard and putting in effort isn’t enough. The Raiders have had a set up that is not up to NRL standard for far too long. Our board and owners have accepted mediocre results for far too long. The Raiders have one of the worst records in the NRL over the past 25 years. I could dig out the relative results... I can’t be bothered now. But grand final appearances and premierships... there are few worse teams than the Raiders for decades.

Some shake up has to happen. I’m not sure what it is. But the results we are seeing right now should not be acceptable for the club. Or fans IMO.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

ronkiew wrote: June 9, 2018, 6:23 pm Fair dinkum! Some people on this forum have been posting for weeks about how we haven’t beaten anyone higher than us on the table and how we were going to be beaten by 30 by the top teams. Then we play the team on top of the ladder. We lose by a field goal in the end (always a lottery) with 44% possession, still without Tapine and Paulo, then losing Joey in the first couple of minutes and then Rapa – and these people still complain! Yes Penrith had players backing up but those individuals had the adrenalin boost of coming off a win - they all played well and didn’t look like running out of gas. Yes Penrith do have a long list of injured players but they already made it to the top of the ladder without them.

There are 16 teams in the competition, 8 lose every week and 15 of them, including us, won’t be winning the GF this year. Since some of you obviously have such a poor opinion of several players in our team not to mention the coach, why are you so upset when we lose. I too get frustrated and disappointed when we lose, but my frustration is because I believe we do have a good side and I am always hopeful of/ expecting a win. After a loss, small or big, I’m usually down for a while especially when we have shot ourselves in the foot, but I recognise the effort put in by the players and that the other team is trying to win too. I also like to watch a replay before making too many judgements.

I am always unhappy about our errors – we do make a lot of them – and those penalties that are deserved. But at least some of the errors seem to come from trying too hard and I find that preferable to not trying.

It must be awful for the players, especially the ones who cop so much bagging. Poor Hingano. It was hard seeing his face when he came off the field after the game – he was crushed. He hasn’t been a shining light so far but he is young and he tries. I’m not sure any different bench selections would have made a whole lot of difference last night with the positions we had to cover, unless Oldfield had been on the bench.

I have followed rugby league for many years, but I’m certainly not an expert. I joined this forum because there would be people on it that know a lot about rugby league from experience and who could give positive criticisms and explanations of what happens in games and the issues that arise. It’s a shame so many posts are focussed on rubbishing individual players and the coach, or wishing we had some other player in our team. It’s really a waste of breath and time since Ricky isn’t going anywhere, and this is the roster we have for this year.

As for Jarrod not having a good year (2nd highest point scorer in the league and 2nd highest try scorer for the team) or not being a good captain – every day I am so thankful that he is in our team!

And finally so pleased for the guy who won the $50000 at halftime and spoke about the trials and commitment of being a Raiders supporter – now there’s a fan!
Most posters feel for the players as well. Hingano is not being done any favours being sat on a bench and having to play a mr fix-it role he is ill-equipped to be playing.

I also feel for Papa, Wighton, Cotric and Whitehead who continue to give their all until the 80th minute. This week Papa and Cotric on the back of a week in origin camp (while their teammates had a week off) and Wighton who has more reasons than most to be off his game is in career best form at the moment.
thesquid
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by thesquid »

LastRaider wrote: June 9, 2018, 10:24 am
yurithe1 wrote:
LP Raider wrote: June 9, 2018, 9:07 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 8, 2018, 9:45 pm People have been tossing up playing Hodgeson at 7 to keep Hingano in the team. Not sure I support that but I wouldn't be against thowing Whitehead to the centres and putting Havilli in the second row. Whitehead was great tonight and BJ hasn't been brilliant this year. Not sure how Havali would go running a line. Seems to do his best work out of dummy half
No body wants Hodgson at 7 to keep Hingano. People want Hodgson at 7 to kick Sezer out and bring in Garvey at 14.
Who the Hell would want to keep Hingano in the side?

Once Hodgeson is back, Hingano will cause Mounties fans aggravation for the rest of the season because it will be the Hodgeson and Havilii show at hooker. At worst, Hingano will be named on the extended bench and then dropped closer to game day. For whatever reason, Garvey is doomed to never play NRL this season.

Stuart believes that Sezar is over-playing his hand and that's why stuff ups occur. He's pretty safe. Austin has learned to tackle and his deficiencies are being covered by Whitehead and he's running again.

The only bloke I feel sorry for in this whole sa mess is Williams. Comes back for the third time, has a good game and does his knee, gets stuck in NSW Cup. I'd be looking for a big money contract alongside McCrone at the Wolfpack if I was him. Wave the cheque in Ricky's face on the last day and vow never to return.
Austin’s defense cost us 2 tries last night. I haven’t seen any improvement except for that one good game. He panic’s all the time, makes bad decisions and struggles with a one on one tackle close to our try line. Have you ever seen him get his body in front?? I haven’t

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Thank god you didnt get the job of resident expert.

What lost the game was just dumb mistakes. Penalties. Just dumb footballing. You could go 5 minutes and watch how this team could play and be close to matching it with any side.

Then you could watch penalty, mistake, mistake, penalty. 5 minutes of good footy.

The whole team got let down by a handful of penalty junkies and just dumb footballers on the night.
Not_Easy_Being_Green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Not_Easy_Being_Green »

ronkiew wrote: June 9, 2018, 6:23 pm Fair dinkum! Some people on this forum have been posting for weeks about how we haven’t beaten anyone higher than us on the table and how we were going to be beaten by 30 by the top teams. Then we play the team on top of the ladder. We lose by a field goal in the end (always a lottery) with 44% possession, still without Tapine and Paulo, then losing Joey in the first couple of minutes and then Rapa – and these people still complain! Yes Penrith had players backing up but those individuals had the adrenalin boost of coming off a win - they all played well and didn’t look like running out of gas. Yes Penrith do have a long list of injured players but they already made it to the top of the ladder without them.

Now thats optimism if i've ever come across it. Unfortunately this club needs a lynch mob at the gates of HQ before anything is done.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

RTW wrote: June 9, 2018, 1:48 pm A number of weeks ago Stuart openly criticised Sezer for not taking a field goal shot late in the game ( I can’t remember which game and the fact we lost after holding a lead doesn’t exactly narrow it down). With time running out Sezer decides to run it on the fourth. He had a forward inside and outside of him but went himself. The defence held off him and he actually got a very quick play the ball. Which is the perfect time to kick a field goal. Would people be complaining as much if it shaved the upright and missed?

For mine it was the right idea off a quick play the ball and only one marker but the execution was very poor which makes it look even worse!
The problem with the FG attempt was that it was not planned. Despite having played in more tight endings to games than any other team in the last few yrs there still does not appear that the Raiders have been drilled in setting up for a FG. Sezer, the dedicated FG kicker, should not have neutralised himself by taking the ball on the 4 th tackle. Contrast out bumbling effort(s) to Penrith's professional set-up for a FG.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Green Taipan wrote:
RTW wrote: June 9, 2018, 1:48 pm A number of weeks ago Stuart openly criticised Sezer for not taking a field goal shot late in the game ( I can’t remember which game and the fact we lost after holding a lead doesn’t exactly narrow it down). With time running out Sezer decides to run it on the fourth. He had a forward inside and outside of him but went himself. The defence held off him and he actually got a very quick play the ball. Which is the perfect time to kick a field goal. Would people be complaining as much if it shaved the upright and missed?

The problem with the FG attempt was that it was not planned. Despite having played in more tight endings to games than any other team in the last few yrs there still does not appear that the Raiders have been drilled in setting up for a FG. Sezer, the dedicated FG kicker, should not have neutralised himself by taking the ball on the 4 th tackle. Contrast out bumbling effort(s) to Penrith's professional set-up for a FG.

Agree 100% you see it not only in the fact that Sezer ran it on the 4th but in the tackles leading up to it. I think it may have been Papalii who got us back towards the post on the 3rd. The rest of us had no idea what the plan was.

My point though was off a quick play the ball 35 out one marker who chased leaving Havili to have a crack in the moment it wasn’t a poor decision just terrible execution.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yes the lack of an obvious coherent plan is really bad.

However I care more about the players making the right decisions than sticking rigidly to plans. If Sezer thought he was a good chance of scoring a try because the opponent overprotected the field goal then I’m all for it.

Havili had a good opportunity and took it. As long as he is reasonably practiced at drop goals I’m absolutely fine with that aspect.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We look lost just attempting to set up for a field goal, let alone actually taking one. How hard is it to take a bunch of hit ups through the middle and have your 6 and 7 either side of the ruck?

If works or not is one thing, but the set up needs to be there. We have players taking it to the edges in that situation, and this is where poor game management and poor on field leadership from the halves is plain for all to see.

We are the laughing stock of the NRL. Just keep taking the 2 boys, it's working....
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Toovs was on the Footy Show this morning blowing up deluxe about our dumb mistakes. What's he doing these days? Get him up here!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 10, 2018, 12:21 pm Toovs was on the Footy Show this morning blowing up deluxe about our dumb mistakes. What's he doing these days? Get him up here!
Would be a great signing imo. The complete opposite of an old boy. He had great results at Manly as well, his worst year is the sort that gets an extension at our club.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

1992 wrote:We look lost just attempting to set up for a field goal, let alone actually taking one. How hard is it to take a bunch of hit ups through the middle and have your 6 and 7 either side of the ruck?

If works or not is one thing, but the set up needs to be there. We have players taking it to the edges in that situation, and this is where poor game management and poor on field leadership from the halves is plain for all to see.

We are the laughing stock of the NRL. Just keep taking the 2 boys, it's working....

It isn’t as simple as taking 4 hit ups through the middle of the field. You need to create a quick play the ball and take it off the back of that. 4 forwards lumbering through the middle and getting put on their back will result in the kicker having no time to set and kick.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

edwahu wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 10, 2018, 12:21 pm Toovs was on the Footy Show this morning blowing up deluxe about our dumb mistakes. What's he doing these days? Get him up here!
Would be a great signing imo. The complete opposite of an old boy. He had great results at Manly as well, his worst year is the sort that gets an extension at our club.
His hard arsed approach is exactly what this club needs.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

What about Brock Lamb....
I’m not sure he’s the answer but here are some thoughts...

- Austin is probably on 300K more than we could get him for
- Lamb would see a good opportunity to start here which he doesn’t have at Newcastle
- Lamb is probably better than Williams??
- Signing Lamb would see the end of Austin, see us keep Williams and have an extra $300K to spend elsewhere
- there are f all other options

Team could look something like this:
1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Sezer
7. Lamb
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Murchie
16. Soliola
17. Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Austin would be on more than that, he was extended before the end of his first season and I'd say upgraded
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

-TW- wrote:Austin would be on more than that, he was extended before the end of his first season and I'd say upgraded
Further fuel to my point

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rd 14 Gallery: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/06 ... -panthers/

Round 14 play of the week: Jordan Rapana: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/06 ... an-rapana/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rd 14 by the numbers: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/06 ... -panthers/

Vote Now: Man of the Match Round 14: http://greenroomdigital.snapforms.com.a ... ek-round14
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trent Merrin believes Canberra Raiders forward Charlie Gubb should have been sent off for his tackle on Nathan Cleary

PENRITH prop Trent Merrin says Canberra’s Charlie Gubb should have been sent off for his “disgusting” tackle on teammate Nathan Cleary.

Gubb entered an early guilty plea, which will keep the Raiders forward’s punishment at a one-week suspension but Merrin felt his carelessness had put Cleary in danger while in a vulnerable position.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/trent ... 551b791435

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 551b791435

Todd Greenberg and the NRL have announced changes to protect kickers from late hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4c87c19197
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hard to disagree with Merrin on that.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

gangrenous wrote:Hard to disagree with Merrin on that.
Agreed, he is lucky to get one week suspension.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, lucky to get one week.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It was no send off. I see head highs off similar stupidity with no send off, just report every week.

No problem at all if that kind of late hit or reckless (not careless) head high become new 10 in the bins though either. Although I do think they should bring back a 5 or 6 in the bin for those. 10 for deliberate fouls play or repeat offending.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t think it was a send off either.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote:It was no send off. I see head highs off similar stupidity with no send off, just report every week.

No problem at all if that kind of late hit or reckless (not careless) head high become new 10 in the bins though either. Although I do think they should bring back a 5 or 6 in the bin for those. 10 for deliberate fouls play or repeat offending.
I’d like to see send offs for all dangerous offences like this one. Agree it’s not standard now. But it should be.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He should of got 6 weeks for being a ****