Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

Post by greeneyed »

Some mornings in Canberra, when the cold settles into your bones, it can be easy to let yourself think about beach life. Or even just a climate that stays above freezing overnight. So why would a young man choose to go to the dance with the homely Canberra Raiders when there are far more conventionally attractive options out there?

Unfortunately, many NRL players must be asking themselves that question because they haven't really been coming to the capital for the past decade.

Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-04/c ... in/9829302

AUDIO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart talks about opening of Emma Ruby respite care house at Cook: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/pr ... se/9830900
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

Post by Sid »

The Raiders' biggest splash in the free-agent market in recent times was probably Blake Austin in 2014, but even his signing was on the back of two massive disappointments.

I wouldn't consider Blake Austin to be a big signing at the time given that he hadn't been a consistent starting position player.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

Post by Rick »

So our biggest splash was a bench player in 2014

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

What a stupid article.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Way to perpetuate the cycle ABC
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote: June 4, 2018, 11:27 am The Raiders' biggest splash in the free-agent market in recent times was probably Blake Austin in 2014, but even his signing was on the back of two massive disappointments.

I wouldn't consider Blake Austin to be a big signing at the time given that he hadn't been a consistent starting position player.
I think that's kind of the point of the article.

I'd rate Junior higher though as he would've had more interest on the open market.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Oh dear..

We are in dire straits.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's not a recent thing either. Our recruitment of elite players died when Brisbane entered the comp, it was just masked by retention until 2000.

We arguably punch above our weight considering the handicap.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:It's not a recent thing either. Our recruitment of elite players died when Brisbane entered the comp, it was just masked by retention until 2000.

We arguably punch above our weight considering the handicap.
This. I have no doubt we wouldn’t have got Meninga, Belcher, Walters etc if Brisbane were in the comp at the same time as us
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I am much more concerned with our apparent focus shift away from juniors/younger talent than I am with our inability to attract superstars.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

TongueFTW wrote: June 4, 2018, 12:40 pm I am much more concerned with our apparent focus shift away from juniors/younger talent than I am with our inability to attract superstars.
I'm not sure how this ever changed in practice. I feel like a lot of that was posturing.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who was the last "name" we signed?

FPN?
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Sezer and Paulo were pretty big signings for us. They were both wanted by other clubs.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

This again, really!?!

I live in Sydneys South East. Not suggesting the mornings are as cold as the act, but to suggest that it's singlets and thongs the whole year round would be complete garbage. I rug up on my 1 hour 15 minute journey to work each day. How's that for a consideration on where to live. Doubt there would be anyone in the act who'd spend half the amount of time I do sitting on a bus to get to work each day (I live 14kms from the city).

This cold weather nonsense is a crock of sh1t! It's this defeatist attitude that is Canberras only set back.

The reason for our current predicament has nothing to do with our inability to sign players. We signed Paulo, sezer, leilua, Austin, tapine, waqa, FPN in the past few years... At the same time we let go Vaughan, TPJ, fensom, Barnett. This has had a far more profound affect on where we are. But alas, let's not accept that we could have contributed to the current situation. It must be the cold!!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think this article is out of date now. It’s all changed dramatically with the amount of money in the game at the moment. Players are now seeking big pay days and will travel and live where ever they need to be now to earn the dollars. Canberra issue is we don’t have the purse at the moment to compete due to a badly managed cap.
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

I'm interested as to why the journalist felt that now was the time to write such an article? And what his interests are in Canberra or rugby league? I've never heard of the guy. Mulholland was quoted in the story so perhaps he's the one prompting this kind of attention. Not quite sure why though.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Is Canberra REALLY that much colder than Sydney or Melbourne?
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Outside of the Roosters and Broncos what teams actually sign superstars on a regular basis?

When was the last time the Storm signed one? Kasiano doesn't count.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raider dos wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:52 pm I'm interested as to why the journalist felt that now was the time to write such an article? And what his interests are in Canberra or rugby league? I've never heard of the guy. Mulholland was quoted in the story so perhaps he's the one prompting this kind of attention. Not quite sure why though.
I suspect it’s because the fans don’t understand what’s happening with the management of the salary cap... in particular how we are losing players yet have no cap space. I do believe the club thinks that as the only club located inland, “in the country”, we have to pay overs to get players to come.

And I agree with the point made... if the club believes this, it clearly has been the wrong move to disinvest in juniors.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Jake wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:57 pm Is Canberra REALLY that much colder than Sydney or Melbourne?
RAAF Laverton outside Melbourne parade ground breaking ice winter mornings early to mid 70’s. Then add the wind and it was bloody cold!
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2018, 2:14 pm
raider dos wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:52 pm I'm interested as to why the journalist felt that now was the time to write such an article? And what his interests are in Canberra or rugby league? I've never heard of the guy. Mulholland was quoted in the story so perhaps he's the one prompting this kind of attention. Not quite sure why though.
I suspect it’s because the fans don’t understand what’s happening with the management of the salary cap... in particular how we are losing players yet have no cap space. I do believe the club thinks that as the only club located inland, “in the country”, we have to pay overs to get players to come.

And I agree with the point made... if the club believes this, it clearly has been the wrong move to disinvest in juniors.
Fair enough, I still don't think the journo really explained the issues though. It seemed like a fairly general history lesson and wasn't critical of the club's move away from junior development. It just seemed like a weird article really.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Ive lived in Canberra, and Windsor at the foot of the Blue Mountains. I have no stats to back me up, but there was bugger all difference. I remember seeing Freddy Fittler during a night game at Bruce last year talking about how it was a 'freezing 2 degrees on field'. That is standard Penrith weather, but nobody comments on that.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

a. Lots of people live in places that are cold in Winter, like all over the southern tablelands and the foothills of the ranges. But no matter what, Canberra will always be perceived to be that cold miserable place where the pollies live. It does not matter that there are plenty of other cold places or that the pollies don't actually live here. Its the perception and thats all that counts.

b. what is the point of an article that is not going to be read by anyone but Canberrans and we already well know anyway?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We're like the owners of the run down house with the over-grown yard blaming the property manager for the lack of interest from renters.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

We assembled a squad for the 2017 season that went through an entire pre-season and almost half the regular season as premiership favourites - not just from the bookies but from many an expert league analysis.

Now granted I understand it was on the back of no International/Origin players being recruited, and on the back of some great individual performances.

But my point stands that we were indeed able to esemble a squad good enough to go deep into the season,

But yep - that’s right, it was the cold weather.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Are we doing this again.
WorkChoice
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

LP Raider wrote: June 4, 2018, 5:14 pm Are we doing this again.
Same story for 20 years now.

You know why you hire managers? To address problems. If they can't, you get new managers.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Yes, how could the refuse Questacon, the mint, Parliament house, the lovely weather an last but not least the stunning architecture nothing at all sterile about it.
This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LP Raider wrote: June 4, 2018, 5:14 pm Are we doing this again.
Apparently so. Did the article mention the wonderful cycling options in the National capital?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Jake wrote:Is Canberra REALLY that much colder than Sydney or Melbourne?
Yes. Yes it is.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

Yes, our lows are about on average 10 degrees lower than Sydney and Melbourne, which is huge. Canberra winters are hard, I’ve lived here 7 years and they get harder every year, I honestly think I’ve developed a slight case of seasonal affective disorder, god I hate the winters, so much so I think it’s a large reason why I’m looking to move away atm.
Last year against the Cowboys it was -7 !! Our biggest signing this century has been...Maaaaatty Orford cooome on down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Jake wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:57 pm Is Canberra REALLY that much colder than Sydney or Melbourne?
Have you ever BEEN here in winter?

Yes. Yes. Much, much colder. I have to stop watching weather reports in winter because my eyes roll so hard whenever Sydney whines that it might be a shockingly cold 5 degrees overnight! (That's positive 5, mind you. Not minus 5.)
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

EVH wrote: June 4, 2018, 6:18 pm
Yes, our lows are about on average 10 degrees lower than Sydney and Melbourne, which is huge. Canberra winters are hard, I’ve lived here 7 years and they get harder every year, I honestly think I’ve developed a slight case of seasonal affective disorder, god I hate the winters, so much so I think it’s a large reason why I’m looking to move away atm.
Last year against the Cowboys it was -7 !! Our biggest signing this century has been...Maaaaatty Orford cooome on down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra has an average July minimum of 0 degrees. Melbourne is 6, Sydney is 7. In the Western suburbs it is a few degrees below that.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on June 4, 2018, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Ricky Stuart ices the final 3°, GEM.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Noosa's winters are very pleasant, if anyone is concerned.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.