Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:Noosa's winters are very pleasant, if anyone is concerned.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
16.8° currently in God's Country.

Delicious.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

Post by woppadingo »

Captain Punish wrote: June 4, 2018, 7:36 pm
T_R wrote:Noosa's winters are very pleasant, if anyone is concerned.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
16.8° currently in God's Country.

Delicious.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
T_R wrote: June 4, 2018, 7:15 pm Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
**** the both of you.

Actually, I work in Canberra, live in Merimbula. Merimbula rarely gets below about 7c in the dead of Winter and the days usually get up to about 16-18 no problem. Its great.
But I grew up in Canberra and hated the Winter. Now my wife wants to move to Canberra cause she doesn't like me being away 5 days a week. She grew up in La Paz Bolivia which believe it or not is colder than Canberra.

Dont know where this is going but in any case I dont think its the weather solely that keeps the guys away. If we could string two or three years together somewhere in the middle of the top eight we would find it a lot easier to recruit marquee players. We did, after all, manage to recruit Paulo and Tapine, which you have to admit were both well regarded before we targeted them. Had we gone better last year Im sure we could have set our sights a bit higher, salary cap not withstanding.

Oh and 6 or 7 c is a lot, expecially when it quite often goes below 0, where as Sydney, Melbourne will never go that low because they're too close to the sea.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There's no such thing as cold, just inadequately dressed. Buy some decent clothing and the cold is irrelevant.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I live in north-west Sydney, where it can get down -5C a few times each winter. Quite a few mornings my car windscreen is frozen over.

You can drive 50km west of here and still be in Sydney.

It's not as cold as Canberra but it does get pretty cold in many areas of Sydney.
Vintagecrop
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Vintagecrop »

FROG wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:02 pm This again, really!?!

I live in Sydneys South East. Not suggesting the mornings are as cold as the act, but to suggest that it's singlets and thongs the whole year round would be complete garbage. I rug up on my 1 hour 15 minute journey to work each day. How's that for a consideration on where to live. Doubt there would be anyone in the act who'd spend half the amount of time I do sitting on a bus to get to work each day (I live 14kms from the city).

This cold weather nonsense is a crock of sh1t! It's this defeatist attitude that is Canberras only set back.

The reason for our current predicament has nothing to do with our inability to sign players. We signed Paulo, sezer, leilua, Austin, tapine, waqa, FPN in the past few years... At the same time we let go Vaughan, TPJ, fensom, Barnett. This has had a far more profound affect on where we are. But alas, let's not accept that we could have contributed to the current situation. It must be the cold!!
Whilst I agree that the whole weather thing has been overdone, not many first graders doing 1.15 hours on a bus to training, anywhere. And no, SE Sydney is not worse than Canberra in the winter. That being said, my mate and I were out there in -5 four mornings a week last year. But we're old and buggered. It's a perception thing. The young ones want anything but the perception of this town...

I like the weather in winter. And if some young gun wanted to join us and give it a lash, then hats off. And, as the OP said, quite a few have. So no, it's not the weather...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

sprintman wrote: June 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
Jake wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:57 pm Is Canberra REALLY that much colder than Sydney or Melbourne?
RAAF Laverton outside Melbourne parade ground breaking ice winter mornings early to mid 70’s. Then add the wind and it was bloody cold!
Cerberus is bloody freezing, and Richmond NSW is bloody cold too. Amberley hits zero as well.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

I live in south east Victoria, moved here from Canberra a few years ago but I still travel to Canberra about once a month to see family and I honestly enjoy the beautiful clear, crisp autumn/winter mornings in Canberra. I especially miss them as it rains here almost constantly. The weather in Victoria sucks, so don't bother comparing Canberra to most of Victoria at least.

Also, went to Boston recently. That is a damn cold part of the world and the pats have won plenty of Superbowls. Weather ain't everything
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

We are having a cold snap here in Darwin at the moment, got down to 19 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:There's no such thing as cold, just inadequately dressed. Buy some decent clothing and the cold is irrelevant.
Thoughts on summer when the world is melting outside?

Canberra has the worst climate, it's one end of the spectrum to the other
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

raider dos wrote: June 4, 2018, 10:06 pm I live in south east Victoria, moved here from Canberra a few years ago but I still travel to Canberra about once a month to see family and I honestly enjoy the beautiful clear, crisp autumn/winter mornings in Canberra. I especially miss them as it rains here almost constantly. The weather in Victoria sucks, so don't bother comparing Canberra to most of Victoria at least.

Also, went to Boston recently. That is a damn cold part of the world and the pats have won plenty of Superbowls. Weather ain't everything
NFL has a draft
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

-TW- wrote: June 4, 2018, 11:04 pm
gergreg wrote:There's no such thing as cold, just inadequately dressed. Buy some decent clothing and the cold is irrelevant.
Thoughts on summer when the world is melting outside?

Canberra has the worst climate, it's one end of the spectrum to the other
Having lived and worked around the world the climate is the best part of Canberra living. Not too cold and no **** humidity in the summer...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Vintagecrop wrote: I like the weather in winter. And if some young gun wanted to join us and give it a lash, then hats off. And, as the OP said, quite a few have. So no, it's not the weather...
By that logic it’s not going to war that stops people joining the army.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's cold today.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

woppadingo wrote: June 4, 2018, 11:43 pm
raider dos wrote: June 4, 2018, 10:06 pm I live in south east Victoria, moved here from Canberra a few years ago but I still travel to Canberra about once a month to see family and I honestly enjoy the beautiful clear, crisp autumn/winter mornings in Canberra. I especially miss them as it rains here almost constantly. The weather in Victoria sucks, so don't bother comparing Canberra to most of Victoria at least.

NFL has a draft
NRL needs one then
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

This has been obvious to most people for a long time now. There are plenty of reasons and the cold weather is only a part of it, but Canberra just is not the place most 18-30 year olds would choose to live. Obviously for the right price people will come, but given our apparent lack of ability to secure 3rd party deals that means when we do manage to put a decent squad together we will struggle to keep it (what a shock that we are in cap trouble right now).

That said though, a lot of people who grow up in Canberra will like the place for obvious reasons and it's still better than living in a country town in NSW so like GE said why we aren't investing hard in juniors is mind boggling
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It's cold everywhere. Yeah places like Canberra are colder than most but let's face it winter is winter.

I've been to places like Wellington, Parkes, Lithgow, Singleton and even Cessnock is cold.

Up in the Hunter Valley/New England it gets damn nippy. Murrurundi, Tamworth, Armidale.

It's 8* right now in Woodrising..sure it's not cold enough to be hugging strangers but it's cold.

Put on another jumper and sign with the Canberra Raiders ****.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Because coach doesn't know how to develop a player.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:20 am It's cold everywhere. Yeah places like Canberra are colder than most but let's face it winter is winter.

I've been to places like Wellington, Parkes, Lithgow, Singleton and even Cessnock is cold.

Up in the Hunter Valley/New England it gets damn nippy. Murrurundi, Tamworth, Armidale.

It's 8* right now in Woodrising..sure it's not cold enough to be hugging strangers but it's cold.

Spend a winter or two in parts of Europe or America and Canberra's winters are glorious in comparison. I went to a Giants game and they were shovelling over a foot of snow off the field before the game.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Rick wrote: June 4, 2018, 10:45 pm We are having a cold snap here in Darwin at the moment, got down to 19 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
At midnight !!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Okay I've got it sorted.

Lets recruit players from Oymyakon, Russia.

And tell them to bring their shorts.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

hobbsy wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:12 am This has been obvious to most people for a long time now. There are plenty of reasons and the cold weather is only a part of it, but Canberra just is not the place most 18-30 year olds would choose to live. Obviously for the right price people will come, but given our apparent lack of ability to secure 3rd party deals that means when we do manage to put a decent squad together we will struggle to keep it (what a shock that we are in cap trouble right now).

That said though, a lot of people who grow up in Canberra will like the place for obvious reasons and it's still better than living in a country town in NSW so like GE said why we aren't investing hard in juniors is mind boggling
I think you will find that as a percentage of the population, Canberra has more 18-30 year olds than most places.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-PJ- wrote:It's cold everywhere. Yeah places like Canberra are colder than most but let's face it winter is winter.

Lots of NRL teams in those places too I’ve noticed.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... num=&view=

•People aged 20 to 34 years accounted for 25% of the territory's population, compared with 22% of Australia's population.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gergreg wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:29 am
-PJ- wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:20 am It's cold everywhere. Yeah places like Canberra are colder than most but let's face it winter is winter.

Spend a winter or two in parts of Europe or America and Canberra's winters are glorious in comparison. I went to a Giants game and they were shovelling over a foot of snow off the field before the game.
I wish I was in the European summer now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:51 am
-PJ- wrote:It's cold everywhere. Yeah places like Canberra are colder than most but let's face it winter is winter.

Lots of NRL teams in those places too I’ve noticed.
It's not part of the criteria when the NRL is establishing new franchises I hope.

And there is a side in Melbourne yes ? Gets cold there I've heard...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders in unique position in NRL as they struggle to attract superstars

Post by gangrenous »

Gets cold there in a large capital city with plenty of business for TPAs and boats, best players and coach in the game and 20 years of success.

We’ll see how their recruitment goes post golden era when they’re down to only TPAs on that list.

Still 14 other destinations to compete with.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It gets down to -58 in Oymyakon, Russia during winter.

I bet their CEO is smart enough to ask for 7-30pm kick off for home games.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

dubby wrote: June 4, 2018, 9:56 pm
sprintman wrote: June 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
Jake wrote: June 4, 2018, 1:57 pm Is Canberra REALLY that much colder than Sydney or Melbourne?
RAAF Laverton outside Melbourne parade ground breaking ice winter mornings early to mid 70’s. Then add the wind and it was bloody cold!
Cerberus is bloody freezing, and Richmond NSW is bloody cold too. Amberley hits zero as well.
I grew up in Richmond, people should add a spoonful of cement to their weetbix every morning. Honestly harden up.
WorkChoice
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Bay53 wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:49 am
hobbsy wrote: June 5, 2018, 7:12 am This has been obvious to most people for a long time now. There are plenty of reasons and the cold weather is only a part of it, but Canberra just is not the place most 18-30 year olds would choose to live. Obviously for the right price people will come, but given our apparent lack of ability to secure 3rd party deals that means when we do manage to put a decent squad together we will struggle to keep it (what a shock that we are in cap trouble right now).

I think you will find that as a percentage of the population, Canberra has more 18-30 year olds than most places.
And? If they all had the opportunity to live in Sydney, Brisbane, the Gold Coast Melbourne etc with the same job and pay you are kidding yourself if you think most would choose to stay.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 4, 2018, 12:38 pm
edwahu wrote:It's not a recent thing either. Our recruitment of elite players died when Brisbane entered the comp, it was just masked by retention until 2000.

We arguably punch above our weight considering the handicap.
This. I have no doubt we wouldn’t have got Meninga, Belcher, Walters etc if Brisbane were in the comp at the same time as us
Well clearly. Meninga stated he joined the Raiders after knocking back Manly. He wanted to test himself in the NSWRL given he'd already had success in the QLD and English League.

If the Broncos were around - Meninga would not have come to Canberra. Belcher, Walters etc followed Meninga down.

The reality is though - the Broncos weren't around. And we still managed to recruit some of the best talent of the time to a town that barely had an airport. Canberra is surely much more inviting than it was in 1986. Surely.

I don't buy the arguments that we can't recruit players.

Meninga could have been on the north shore. But chose to come here.

We can still do that. We just need a board thats serious about winning premierships - and they aren't.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Love4Noa wrote: June 5, 2018, 11:33 am
Well clearly. Meninga stated he joined the Raiders after knocking back Manly. He wanted to test himself in the NSWRL given he'd already had success in the QLD and English League.

If the Broncos were around - Meninga would not have come to Canberra. Belcher, Walters etc followed Meninga down.

The reality is though - the Broncos weren't around. And we still managed to recruit some of the best talent of the time to a town that barely had an airport. Canberra is surely much more inviting than it was in 1986. Surely.

We can still do that. We just need a board thats serious about winning premierships - and they aren't.
I Agree.
Losers make excuses. Find a way
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Love4Noa wrote: June 5, 2018, 11:33 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 4, 2018, 12:38 pm
edwahu wrote:It's not a recent thing either. Our recruitment of elite players died when Brisbane entered the comp, it was just masked by retention until 2000.

We arguably punch above our weight considering the handicap.
This. I have no doubt we wouldn’t have got Meninga, Belcher, Walters etc if Brisbane were in the comp at the same time as us

Meninga could have been on the north shore. But chose to come here.

There was no cap pre 1990, no doubt cash helped. Seems we were happy to spend more of it then most considering what happened when the cap was introduced.

It's shouldn't be an argument anymore. It's just a fact we are the weakest team in the market over 30 years, with possibly the Tigers the only weaker side over that period. Location is part of that, as are results and the opportunities off the field that come with other clubs.

That doesn't mean we couldn't do better, but we will always be at a significant disadvantage to certain clubs and some disadvantage to nearly all of them. To be successful we need to work out realistic strategies which work for us with those constraints, not just expect that we should compete for every player like its an even playing field because that's what winners do.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

No cap in 1990, and oh boy did we cop it in 1991.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I believe the salary cap in 1991 was $1.5mil

We had Belcher, Clyde,Coyne, Croker, Daley, Lazarus, Meninga, Mullins, Stuart, Todd and Walters in our squad..

They must have been on $100k each.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: June 5, 2018, 12:32 pm I believe the salary cap in 1991 was $1.5mil

We had Belcher, Clyde,Coyne, Croker, Daley, Lazarus, Meninga, Mullins, Stuart, Todd and Walters in our squad..

They must have been on $100k each.
They probably were on a lot less by the end of it. We were going to smash the 1.5m by some huge amount at the start of the season.

I do remember Mal was one something like 130k officially, which proportionally is close to a million on todays cap.
Last edited by edwahu on June 5, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.