Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence officially opened

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:11 pm How does it compare to other teams infrastructure?
There are some pretty impressive facilities being developed, if you read the article... some are spending a lot more cash... probably in part as they have more government support. $19m was on the low end, but some include grandstands and more fields. The Eels are going to have four fields and a stand for their junior grade home ground, for example. The Raiders already own West Belconnen as well, of course, which can be used for that. The Sea Eagles are getting a new stand at the northern end of Brookvale with high performance facility built in. The Roosters are spending just $12m, but I think that integrates into the new SFS.

These are the spends:

Wests Tigers ($30 million), Canberra ($19 million), Cronulla ($23 million), Parramatta ($40 million), Manly ($33 million), South Sydney ($25 million), Sydney Roosters ($12 million), North Queensland ($40 million), St George Illawarra ($30 million)
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence

Post by sprintman »

The Nickman wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:24 pm
sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:11 pm How does it compare to other teams infrastructure?
In regards to trees?
No, not ‘trees’
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:54 pm
There are some pretty impressive facilities being developed, if you read the article... some are spending a lot more cash... probably in part as they have more government support. $19m was on the low end, but some include grandstands and more fields. The Eels are going to have four fields and a stand for their junior grade home ground, for example. The Raiders already own West Belconnen as well, of course, which can be used for that. The Sea Eagles are getting a new stand at the northern end of Brookvale with high performance facility built in. The Roosters are spending just $12m, but I think that integrates into the new SFS.
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

sprintman wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:57 pm
In regards to trees?
No, not ‘trees’
Shrubbery??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers, Concord

Parramatta Eels

Sea Eagles, Brookvale

Rabbitohs

Cowboys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Right... so they all have **** trees do they??

This is an outrage!! Just another example of the NRL treating us like garbage!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, just as I suspected...

And people. Heaps of frikken people.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

That cowboys stadium looks good and maybe a design we could copy for Canberra. GE - was the cost (cows) comparable to the Eels stadium?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:58 pm
In regards to trees?
No, not ‘trees’
Shrubbery??
Ni
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 5, 2019, 6:21 pm
The Nickman wrote: December 5, 2019, 4:58 pm
In regards to trees?
No, not ‘trees’
Shrubbery??
Ni
Its just a flesh wound
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: December 5, 2019, 6:12 pm That cowboys stadium looks good and maybe a design we could copy for Canberra. GE - was the cost (cows) comparable to the Eels stadium?

Cost was initially estimated at $250 million, blown out to something closer to $300 million. Latest official estimate I could see was $290 million.

I’d want four sides on a stadium myself.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: December 5, 2019, 6:38 pm
gergreg wrote: December 5, 2019, 6:12 pm That cowboys stadium looks good and maybe a design we could copy for Canberra. GE - was the cost (cows) comparable to the Eels stadium?

Cost was initially estimated at $250 million, blown out to something closer to $300 million. Latest official estimate I could see was $290 million.

Especially in Canberra. Roof too thanks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

unconscious bias against trees

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

found

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:

So that big gap at one end is intentional? I thought it was just incomplete.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

"I'll tell the children there'll be no 4th grandstand"

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: December 5, 2019, 8:39 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Yes, apparently it is intended to let the breeze blow in from the waters. And a supposed nod to the old “hills”.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Machine gets back to grassroots

The Canberra Raiders have put their staff and families to work laying the turf at their new centre of excellence on Tuesday. Raiders chief executive Don Furner and coach Ricky Stuart both put in shifts to covering the 17,000 square metres of grass. It will be finished Friday and take about six to eight weeks to be ready for use. Furner said they would officially open the centre on March 6 at their 2020 season launch.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre of excellence about to be opened

It will be a few weeks before they can use the training paddock, but Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson is excited about opening their centre of excellence with all it's bells and whistles on Friday.

"It's a fantastic joint, we're a very lucky bunch. It's got absolutely everything you need. You name it, it's got it," he said. "We're very spoilt. Once the pictures come out of the place, I'm sure everyone will be blown away by how good it actually is."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

We will hopefully have some pictures tomorrow from the 2020 season launch at the new centre.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I can't fathom how 'Centre of Excellence' has become the generic term for training ground or facility in the NRL. From memory it started with the Titans and that failed development near when they first started.

It's as if we haven't stopped for a moment to think about how stupid using the term 'Centre of Excellence' is to describe the place where every club trains.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The center for kids who cant footy good and want to learn how to do other stuff good too.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: March 5, 2020, 7:06 pm I can't fathom how 'Centre of Excellence' has become the generic term for training ground or facility in the NRL. From memory it started with the Titans and that failed development near when they first started.

It's as if we haven't stopped for a moment to think about how stupid using the term 'Centre of Excellence' is to describe the place where every club trains.
Michael Searle has a lot to answer for re: Centre's of Excellence
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Images of the opening of the Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence from Brent Ford on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/BrentFord26/status/ ... 5321294848
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Images of the opening of the Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence from Brent Ford on Twitter:

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Click show the thread for all the pics! Some highlights:

Opening: https://twitter.com/BrentFord26/status/ ... 0560603136

Change rooms: https://twitter.com/BrentFord26/status/ ... 9335666688

Recovery pool: https://twitter.com/BrentFord26/status/ ... 7632513024

Gym: https://twitter.com/BrentFord26/status/ ... 4610960385
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That looks fantastic.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence at Braddon officially opened

The Canberra Raiders have officially opened the Huawei Raiders Centre in Braddon today, which signifies a new era for the club as they move into the new state-of-the-art facility.

ACT Deputy Chief Minister Yvette Berry and NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro had the honours of cutting the ribbon this morning, which shows the cross-border support from both governments to make the project a reality. ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr also attended the opening today and spoke on behalf of the ACT government.

Almost half of the projects budget was funded due to the wonderful support of both governments, with the ACT government contributing $5 million and the NSW government $4 million of the $19 million facility.

The Huawei Raiders centre is one of the largest and impressive high-performance facilities in Australian sport and is fitted out with several features, including a modern and expansive gym, hydrotherapy facilities, theatre, filming studio and modern facilities throughout.

Huawei not only features as the naming rights partner of the centre, they also feature throughout the facility, with Huawei technology at the forefront of infrastructure including the IT equipment and phone systems.

Today’s opening also coincided with the naming of the facilities Boardroom, which will be now known as the McIntrye Boardroom, to reflect the contribution of the McIntyre family, led by club founding father Les McIntyre and former Chairman and current Club Patron John McIntyre.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the project was something that had taken a number of years of planning and preparation and something that could not have been achieved without the support of both the ACT and NSW governments.

“12 months ago, we stood out on the oval with the NSW Deputy Premier and ACT Deputy Chief Minister and we turned the first sod on this unique project," Mr Furner said. "It’s unique because it brings us back to where we were 21 years ago.

“It’s in a brilliant setting, it’s an historically listed oval. Sport and Rugby League has been played here since 1925. It was also unique because of the unique partnerships between both governments. The governments no-border policy is played out here for all to see. It offers young kids in these areas the facilities that they would get in the bigger cities.”

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr congratulated the Raiders on the project coming to life and said it was a huge boost for the Raiders and region to have this new facility in Canberra.

“To Don, the Raiders board and Don’s team, congratulations on years and years of passion and commitment,” Mr Barr said “To see this project come to fruition is fantastic for Rugby League in this region. As part of the renewal of Canberra’s CBD this is a great initiative for the Raiders to come back to their spiritual home in Braddon.”

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro said this was a wonderful achievement for the entire region and congratulated the Raiders on their continued commitment to the entire region in and around Canberra.

“We see the Raiders as more than the Canberra Raiders,” Mr Barilaro said. “A few weeks ago, the Raiders visited Bateman’s Bay and areas affected by the recent bushfires in the South Coast and gave hope to kids because they are a symbol of who we are as a region beyond the ACT, and that is important.”

“It’s been an absolute pleasure to be a part of this project. We’re passionate about what the Raiders mean to the region, but this is also about the kids across the South East.”

Canberra Raiders media

Huawei shows it’s ‘here to stay’ with new Raiders deal: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... ders-deal/

Players have their first gym session at new Centre of Excellence: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03/06/a-new-era/

VIDEO: Furner, Barr and Barilaro officially unveil Raiders Huawei Centre: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/03 ... ei-centre/
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Re: Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence officially opened

Post by rolhai »

My company was involved with the desking. Very chuffed

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Thanks for your support Mr Barr.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Piss weak from Barr not to show up.
Nothing
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Nothing »

If you zoom in on the board in the second player "chill-out room" posted by Brent Ford, you can see a pretty clear list of every first grade Raiders player, current and former. This list contains their number, games played, year of debut and last year with the Raiders.

It's interesting to note that Seb Kris had his last year filled out already as 2019, hope is all going well in his life if he has decided to give up on footy once and for all.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Wow, that looks fantastic. I wonder if fans will be given an opportunity to tour the facility? I'd love to have a stickybeak.

I love that nice little touch with the glass panel on the players' personal lockers.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: March 6, 2020, 4:26 pm Thanks for your support Mr Barr.

Sent his apologies for tonight... as always. I believe he did turn up this morning, but did not cut the ribbon.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

raiderskater wrote: March 6, 2020, 8:41 pm Wow, that looks fantastic. I wonder if fans will be given an opportunity to tour the facility? I'd love to have a stickybeak.

I love that nice little touch with the glass panel on the players' personal lockers.
Yes, an inspection tour in conjunction with a "meet the players" day would be tremendous.