Canberra Raiders sign Ryan Sutton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Ryan Sutton

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I never understand the term “all but...” if it’s “all but..”, then it isn’t.

The deal is all but done, so it’s not done. Like “near miss”, so, it’s a hit?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Matt wrote: June 2, 2018, 4:56 pm
sprintman wrote: June 1, 2018, 4:01 pm New Bateman very doubtful according to ESL forums
And Mulholland saying its all but done. Who do i believe?
Who knows. Poms want to keep their players obviously and make up stuff same as here
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 2, 2018, 5:01 pm I never understand the term “all but...” if it’s “all but..”, then it isn’t.

The deal is all but done, so it’s not done. Like “near miss”, so, it’s a hit?

U r correct.
However in this instance its more likely because Mulholland cant confirm anything legally
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

edwahu wrote: May 30, 2018, 7:22 pm
kiwi raider wrote: May 30, 2018, 7:19 pm
El_Capitano wrote: May 30, 2018, 7:07 pm Do we have any stats? Minutes per game, meters per game etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... info/20668
To summarise

Avg Tackles 24
Avg Missed 1.4
Avg Tackle Breaks 0.9
Avg Hit Ups 13
Avg Meters 90
Avg Gain 6.8
Tries 4
Linbreaks 2
Offloads 3
Penalties 6
Errors 6
I'm guessing the MT is missed tackles yeah? How do the stats provided there equate to 1.4 miss tackles a game? He missed 10 in 1 game and 8 in another.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Ahh that's marker tackles. How does MI stand for missrd tackles? Bizarre
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Sutto has just gone off with a knee injury v Warrington. Kept an eye on him when he was on, looks to be a defensive fennoesque workhorse type player.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Coastalraider wrote: June 1, 2018, 2:08 pm
Sid wrote: June 1, 2018, 1:29 pm Where do people expect Sutton will be in the prop pecking order, reckon he'll have to work hard to fight with the likes of Gubb and Knight for a spot?
I think people are underestimating him a bit - I know he is not James Graham or anything, but he has just finished a WC tour with England. 2 of our better players also played that tour with him, so have very good knowledge of his abilities.

I think he is coming here to play in the rotation, no question. As it stands, Sia is our leading prop next year (presuming he signs up). If Pappali moves forward and we sign the new Bateman as a backrower, i can see a rotation of Pappali and Sia to start, and Sutton and the best of Lui/Knight/Gubb. I really think that a current rep prop should be well above that trio of bench players.But it will be good depth, just really only 1 star in Paps.
Sutton wasn't in that England squad. He'd have been nowhere near it.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hazza wrote: June 3, 2018, 12:54 am Sutto has just gone off with a knee injury v Warrington. Kept an eye on him when he was on, looks to be a defensive fennoesque workhorse type player.
Doesn't sound great from the media reports. Hopefully it's not his year.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

edwahu wrote:
Hazza wrote: June 3, 2018, 12:54 am Sutto has just gone off with a knee injury v Warrington. Kept an eye on him when he was on, looks to be a defensive fennoesque workhorse type player.
I was watching. To me he reminded me of Josh Miller in attack and Fensom in defence. I am not too impressed to be honest. Hopefully he can land here and find another cog.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Captain Punish wrote: June 3, 2018, 9:07 pm
edwahu wrote:
I was watching. To me he reminded me of Josh Miller in attack and Fensom in defence. I am not too impressed to be honest. Hopefully he can land here and find another cog.

Id settle for that
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: June 3, 2018, 1:04 pm
First, I hope the injury is not as bad as first suspected. If he is a Fensom type defender then good. He will get through a lot of work in the center of the park. If the injury does prove to be serious, then I hope that any corrective action is taken as soon as possible. From a selfish Raider fans point of view, I hope he doesn't try to tough it out and then require corrective action/surgery later in the year.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Out 6-8 weeks
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

sprintman wrote: June 7, 2018, 9:51 am Out 6-8 weeks
Not too bad, I was worried the ACL curse had struck again.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Did we fly overseas to get his signature, or did he fly here?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

reptar wrote:Did we fly overseas to get his signature, or did he fly here?
We were going to send Tevita Pen-guy Jnr to get it done, but he changed clubs. Hence why Papalii remains unsigned.

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Captain Punish wrote: June 7, 2018, 11:17 am
reptar wrote:Did we fly overseas to get his signature, or did he fly here?
We were going to send Tevita Pen-guy Jnr to get it done, but he changed clubs. Hence why Papalii remains unsigned.

Surely Joey Tar-pen-ay can get it done instead? Or should be buy Pen-i Terepo? Actually, anyone from Pen-rith would do.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

scotchberry wrote: May 30, 2018, 6:33 pm If he can move laterally, not give away stupid ruck penalties and averages at least 40 minutes he is already an upgrade for our team - good stuff
:thumbsup
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Johno wrote: June 4, 2018, 12:30 am
Captain Punish wrote: June 3, 2018, 9:07 pm
edwahu wrote:

Id settle for that
Yeah, I'd be OK landing a player who is a combination of a previous 2x player of the year and a bloke who can chug through 50 tackles a game!

**** I loved Josh Miller. And Sean Fensom for that matter. The grief those two blokes got on this forum at times was appalling. When they were in the team you knew at least one or two players would turn up and give it absolutely everything they had. Give me that attitude any day.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

When did Josh Miller get grief? That dude was amazing.

I once heard he had a Brown Bear Rug in his bedroom. It wasn’t even dead, just too scared to move

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Josh Miller slander will not be tolerated

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

It takes a brave man to slander Josh.
The last person to do that was the Boogeyman. Now every night before he goes to bed, he checks his wardrobe for Josh

Nickman's love of NSW
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Josh Miller was a poor man's Martin Lang. A hard man but he is/was a walking, talking brain injury.

Josh Miller is the creator of the HIA. But without him I would never have been able to pen (see what you can do with one of these Papa) a cracker of a nickname like Luke Bateman.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Woah, woah, woah!

So Bateman now auto's to his proper name?

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

That's incredible.

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Interesting to see Sutton had an operation overnight, saw it on his Instagram page, looks to be a knee op.
Hopefully it won’t hamper his pre season with us, he will need a full pre season, the toughest ever

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wigan forward Ryan Sutton ruled out for up to two months

Wigan front-rower Ryan Sutton has been ruled out for six to eight weeks after suffering a knee injury. The 22-year-old picked up the knee injury in Wigan’s 23-0 Challenge Cup quarter-final defeat to Warrington Wolves on Saturday afternoon.

As a reward for his performances, Sutton was selected in Paul Anderson’s England Knights Performance squad.

Read more: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... wo-months/

Latest I could find from 6 June. Saw it on his Instagram Stories too... gone under the knife, knee in a brace.
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

greeneyed wrote:Wigan forward Ryan Sutton ruled out for up to two months

Wigan front-rower Ryan Sutton has been ruled out for six to eight weeks after suffering a knee injury. The 22-year-old picked up the knee injury in Wigan’s 23-0 Challenge Cup quarter-final defeat to Warrington Wolves on Saturday afternoon.

As a reward for his performances, Sutton was selected in Paul Anderson’s England Knights Performance squad.

Read more: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... wo-months/

Latest I could find from 6 June. Saw it on his Instagram Stories too... gone under the knife, knee in a brace.
We just can’t catch a break

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm not too fussed what the poms say. They didn't talk up Hodgo, EW or Sia, and they've all been great.

Hodgo has gone to a new level and is now an elite level player, EW is one of the most underrated players in the game who has impressed with his all round game while Sia is our unofficial leader and inspiration

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Emotions ran high: New Canberra Raiders recruit Ryan Sutton

Ryan Sutton admitted the emotions of winning another Super League Grand Final with Wigan got the better of him at Old Trafford on Saturday night. The prop is set to leave for Canberra Raiders but after lifting a second league trophy in three years, Sutton heaped praise and thanked the Warriors for his time at the Club.

He said: “It surpasses anything I thought. I cried my eyes out at the end, I’m not going to lie. The emotions got to me straight away and the first thing I wanted to do was just cry.

“It’s a special Club (Wigan) and I’m going to miss it but at the same time I’m going to look forward to the future with Canberra and I’m going to enjoy these next few days.

Read more at https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018 ... DsAhUMz.99

Vote for Wigan Warriors Player of the Year: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018 ... year-award

Wigan Warriors win Super League grand final: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/14/wig ... and-final/
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

From what I’ve seen post-injury, I think he’ll be very good for us.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching my recording of the game from overnight... They call "Jerusalem" the rugby league hymn in England... and what a moment it was to hear and see it sung... whole crowd joining in. This was it two years ago... same two teams!

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Anyone watch the grand final? He and Bateman both put up great numbers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watching it now.

Ryan Sutton. 43 tackles, three missed tackles, 124 metres from 20 carries, 6.2 metres per carry, one error. Second highest tackle count for Wigan.
John Bateman. 34 tackles, one missed tackle, 164 metres from 18 carries, 9.1 metres per carry, one error, two offloads. Highest metres gained for Wigan.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Having now seen the game... I'm feeling more confident about both signings, but in particular Sutton. I had a fair idea of what Bateman can do, but that was the best I've seen Sutton play.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:Having now seen the game... I'm feeling more confident about both signings, but in particular Sutton. I had a fair idea of what Bateman can do, but that was the best I've seen Sutton play.
Based on that performance from Sutton and Bateman where do you see them in the 17?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh