Canberra Raiders sign Ryan Sutton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Ryan Sutton

Post by FROG »

Anyone else concerned that we are looking to extend Austins contract?

If we've let Paulo and Boyd go so we can sign 3rd rate props and resign our underperforming halves then I'll deadset give it away... Surely we are using the $ gained from letting our props go to sign a more accomplished half!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

FROG wrote: May 30, 2018, 8:23 pm Anyone else concerned that we are looking to extend Austins contract?

If we've let Paulo and Boyd go so we can sign 3rd rate props and resign our underperforming halves then I'll deadset give it away... Surely we are using the $ gained from letting our props go to sign a more accomplished half!
Yes, I am concerned. It makes no sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think we just have to accept that our management of the salary cap, combined with inadequate TPAs, has been poor. Our recruitment and retention just isn’t going to win a premiership any time soon. Maybe not in my lifetime.

Clearly we need a top half... and no one in sight on the horizon. We should be shedding at least one or two underperforming halves. And recruiting. I can’t see it happening. As no top halves are on the market this year.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Norman?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:We'll have a team full of soap dodgers the way we're going. Not such a bad thing judging from the other two. Hope it works out.
Racist!!! Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Norman is being served to us on a platter. He is light years better than both Austin and sezer. I'd rather we lose both our halves if it meant we could get him. It could pay off or it could fail. I don't know how sticking with a proven failed combination is a better option. It's almost as though they're resigned to being mediocre. We are not the first club to make the wrong call on players. It happens at every club. But we must be the only club who so obviously gets it wrong and then continues to stick with them. It's pure insanity.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I'm not sure Norman is a huge fan of Ricky Stuart from what I've heard..
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders666 wrote:I'm not sure Norman is a huge fan of Ricky Stuart from what I've heard..
Ricky signed him to parra and has been linked to bring him here for how long???

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Norman is a better half than Austin, but they're both inconsistent.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I wouldn't be opposed to making Norman an offer but nothing over the top considering his current form and off field indiscretions.

I'd also be happy to see the club sit on the money and wait until someone better comes along, even if that means Williams and Sezer or even Wighton in the halves.

At the moment anything is better than the chalk and cheese pairing we have now.
PhilY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by PhilY »

dubby wrote:
gergreg wrote:We'll have a team full of soap dodgers the way we're going. Not such a bad thing judging from the other two. Hope it works out.
Racist!!! Image

Being a true blue pommie up to his ears in politically correct racism, all I can say is keep it up! Love that description, had me cackling in my cupa tea ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

He will fit in well here. Glad this one is finally official.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: May 30, 2018, 7:17 pm He's not in the top group of props in SL and probably not in the second group, either.

Although the same would have been said about Hodgson and hookers when he left and that turned out OK.

Sutton certainly has all the tools and has age on his side. Wigan like their props big - so he'll undoubtedly drops a few kgs during his toughest preseason ever (see, I'm getting the hang of this cynicism) and that should improve his game no end.

He's big, tough and will be incredibly cheap. Even if he doesn't make it, you won't have wasted a lot and if he does, you've replaced Shannon Boyd and saved $400k a year.
Thanks for the insights Mr Posh. I suspect replacing Boyd and saving 400k is exactly what we are after.

I'm going to trust the recruitment on this one. Hodgo and Whitehead turned out good footballers (two of the smarter footy brains in the team too just quietly). Turner was a bust but at least this bloke knows what position he plays and is on an upward curve.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seems our strategy is to have the cheapest front row in the comp.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

that's a good strategy... if you have a decent spine to make up for it.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote: May 31, 2018, 10:46 am that's a good strategy... if you have a decent spine to make up for it.
If you look at the current ladder its seems like a very risk strategy.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

We need a quality controlling halfback. How many are there in the NRL today?
Not enough to go around that's for sure.

We need to make do. We made do in 2016. Sezer's game needs to be simplified down even more so he can complete the key things we need him to do well. Obviously Hodgson will help a lot.
Then we need another half that can actually defend, and can create opportunities with their running and put on some nice passes to our outside men. I think that person is Wighton. So that just means we need a top shelf fullback. If only there was one running around in absolute peak form and currently without an NRL contract.. :hmmm if only... *cough*barba*cough

Also, Ryan Sutton, looks like a good kid.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: May 31, 2018, 9:45 am
MrPosh wrote: May 30, 2018, 7:17 pm He's not in the top group of props in SL and probably not in the second group, either.

Although the same would have been said about Hodgson and hookers when he left and that turned out OK.

Sutton certainly has all the tools and has age on his side. Wigan like their props big - so he'll undoubtedly drops a few kgs during his toughest preseason ever (see, I'm getting the hang of this cynicism) and that should improve his game no end.

He's big, tough and will be incredibly cheap. Even if he doesn't make it, you won't have wasted a lot and if he does, you've replaced Shannon Boyd and saved $400k a year.
Thanks for the insights Mr Posh. I suspect replacing Boyd and saving 400k is exactly what we are after.

I'm going to trust the recruitment on this one. Hodgo and Whitehead turned out good footballers (two of the smarter footy brains in the team too just quietly). Turner was a bust but at least this bloke knows what position he plays and is on an upward curve.
I think we are catching up cap wise... slowly... very slowly. If you are shelling out big coin for Props, they better be delivering in spades. Ours weren't, so we have gone the 'moneyball' cheap option.

Like others have said, the kid is 22 and has 102 games in the ESL, and all at Wigan, who are usually contenders. So, he must have some ability, and with props, aging is a good thing. So, with any luck we are going to get his best years.

I still really hope we are seriously considering a similar notion to try and poach Max King from Titans. Turned 21 in May. 105kgs. 6'2". Only 27 NRL games, but debuted at 19, in Rd 3 last yr and played 17 games last yr.

My other target would be Peni Terepo. 26yrs old. 106kgs. 6'1". 90 NRL games + 8 for Tonga. He has looked really good this year, and is probably coming into his best career form, and prime age for props.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Forget it. Best we'll do is bring Peter Penaia out of retirement.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: May 31, 2018, 11:23 am

I think we are catching up cap wise... slowly... very slowly. If you are shelling out big coin for Props, they better be delivering in spades. Ours weren't, so we have gone the 'moneyball' cheap option.

Like others have said, the kid is 22 and has 102 games in the ESL, and all at Wigan, who are usually contenders. So, he must have some ability, and with props, aging is a good thing. So, with any luck we are going to get his best years.

I still really hope we are seriously considering a similar notion to try and poach Max King from Titans. Turned 21 in May. 105kgs. 6'2". Only 27 NRL games, but debuted at 19, in Rd 3 last yr and played 17 games last yr.

My other target would be Peni Terepo. 26yrs old. 106kgs. 6'1". 90 NRL games + 8 for Tonga. He has looked really good this year, and is probably coming into his best career form, and prime age for props.
Yeah if we're going to lose Paulo too, I'd one more FG quality proven recruit. I don't watch enough other teams to scout myself. With Papa in the middle and Guler coming up and Knight a pretty big unit who will still fill out I think we have size covered. I actually think a bowling ball style prop would suit the pack to round it out (Paulo, Lazzo, Webcke, Webb shape, Gubb is trying but I think he's just a normal guy who is too fat). A low to the ground or low centre of gravity type.

Or if Fritzy or Scott Logan have any kids- bring em on down!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-GD- wrote: May 30, 2018, 7:43 pm As long as he empties the tank weekly I’ll be happy.
No more Todd Carney's GD.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Hopefully Ryan Sutton will get more than half a trial match in pre-season to adjust to the pace of the game.
His stats say he is a solid performer and with low missed tackles is ok for the middle third position we want him to fill.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Well, at the very least we can all relax knowing that when the club folds we will immediately be accepted as the next Super League franchise.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL move too early for Canberra Raiders recruit Ryan Sutton: Wigan coach Shaun Wane

Wigan coach Shaun Wane suggests Ryan Sutton's move to Australia may be too soon for the 22-year-old prop forward.

"I really hope he makes it a success but it's going to be tough. Personally I'd have liked him to stay a few more years, win a few more things here then he's ready, but he sees himself as ready now and I'll support him on that and give him everything he needs.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/05/31/17/ ... igan-coach

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9186749
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Matt wrote: May 31, 2018, 11:23 am

If you are shelling out big coin for Props, they better be delivering in spades. Ours weren't, so we have gone the 'moneyball' cheap option
I’m in the exact opposite boat to what the club is doing.

The fact is that our club had offers on the table for both Boyd and Paulo, and without knowing exactly the offers I believe they were somewhere in the vacinity of $500-$600k pa ?

That is still significant money for your front row, the club openly stated that they wanted them to stay. Rightly they didn’t up there offer - but the fact remains they were willing to go into the next few seasons with them both as our leading front rowers on some good coin.

Now that they have rejected us Stuart, Mullholland etc are just in immediate damage control and the Canberra times are putting puff pieces out there saying we are thinking of the reduced interchange to try to hide our retention failure.

I’m not saying I’m not liking signing Sutton or don’t agree with this new direction, but if the club had their way both Paulo and Boyd would be long term extended - there is a lot of damage control going on here.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mr Posh, are you David Beckham?

Looking at his size and stats he may well be an Aiden Tolman type player. Gets through a lot of work in the middle of the park, gives away few penalties and has a low error rate. He is not going to steam roll opposition players but he will always be there to take the next run if required. Only 22 so has a lot of growth as a footballer.

We have lost 2 props and gained one, so if our mix going into this year was correct, we will probably be in the market for another prop unless Guler is now considered ready for FG. If he is considered ready I hope he gets a crack this year to prove it.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We need at least a couple more imo and at least one who is an above average NRL prop. At the moment we have none on the books and thats crazy.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

RedRaider wrote:Mr Posh, are you David Beckham?

Looking at his size and stats he may well be an Aiden Tolman type player. Gets through a lot of work in the middle of the park, gives away few penalties and has a low error rate. He is not going to steam roll opposition players but he will always be there to take the next run if required. Only 22 so has a lot of growth as a footballer.

We have lost 2 props and gained one, so if our mix going into this year was correct, we will probably be in the market for another prop unless Guler is now considered ready for FG. If he is considered ready I hope he gets a crack this year to prove it.
Seriously that Guler looks the goods. I think I've seen only one game where he didn't make over 100 metres this year.

Coupled with the fact that he has been doing long minutes in the front row/lock position plus his metres per carry have been over 9, I think we have a winner on our hands.

He just needs to be given a chance this year, especially if finals are out of the question.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Where do people expect Sutton will be in the prop pecking order, reckon he'll have to work hard to fight with the likes of Gubb and Knight for a spot?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Sid wrote: June 1, 2018, 1:29 pm Where do people expect Sutton will be in the prop pecking order, reckon he'll have to work hard to fight with the likes of Gubb and Knight for a spot?
I think people are underestimating him a bit - I know he is not James Graham or anything, but he has just finished a WC tour with England. 2 of our better players also played that tour with him, so have very good knowledge of his abilities.

I think he is coming here to play in the rotation, no question. As it stands, Sia is our leading prop next year (presuming he signs up). If Pappali moves forward and we sign the new Bateman as a backrower, i can see a rotation of Pappali and Sia to start, and Sutton and the best of Lui/Knight/Gubb. I really think that a current rep prop should be well above that trio of bench players.But it will be good depth, just really only 1 star in Paps.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:Where do people expect Sutton will be in the prop pecking order, reckon he'll have to work hard to fight with the likes of Gubb and Knight for a spot?
yeah you'd think Sia, Papa and Lui first 3 then Sutton, Gubb, Knight, Guler, Bateman, Horsburgh around that middle group

Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

New Bateman very doubtful according to ESL forums
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Coastalraider wrote: June 1, 2018, 2:08 pm
Sid wrote: June 1, 2018, 1:29 pm Where do people expect Sutton will be in the prop pecking order, reckon he'll have to work hard to fight with the likes of Gubb and Knight for a spot?
I think people are underestimating him a bit - I know he is not James Graham or anything, but he has just finished a WC tour with England. 2 of our better players also played that tour with him, so have very good knowledge of his abilities.

I think he is coming here to play in the rotation, no question. As it stands, Sia is our leading prop next year (presuming he signs up). If Pappali moves forward and we sign the new Bateman as a backrower, i can see a rotation of Pappali and Sia to start, and Sutton and the best of Lui/Knight/Gubb. I really think that a current rep prop should be well above that trio of bench players.But it will be good depth, just really only 1 star in Paps.
He didn't go to the WC though, he isn't really a rep prop. He has only made England Knights/A.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: June 1, 2018, 4:22 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 1, 2018, 2:08 pm

He didn't go to the WC though, he isn't really a rep prop. He has only made England Knights/A.
Ah ok, my mistake. I thought I'd read he had played in the WC.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

sprintman wrote: June 1, 2018, 4:01 pm New Bateman very doubtful according to ESL forums
And Mulholland saying its all but done. Who do i believe?