Canberra Raiders sign Ryan Sutton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Ryan Sutton

Post by greeneyed »

Sutton a bench prop, clearly. Bateman is really best as a backrower, but he's not shifting Whitehead or Tapine... and I don't think he's better than Papalii at lock either. But for the team, it might be that Papalii has to play prop and Bateman at lock.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Considering Sutton is still working back from a long injury/declined fitness then that sounds like a big effort in a crunch game. Not sure how he's going to make any yards in the middle in Oz though...

Papa, Guler, Sia, Lui/Sutton (fight it out) for our props then. Guler will be a very big unit by next year and if Papa plays prop we'll be ok for size and two other mobile options. Needs more LUKE PAGE and I'm honestly not sure Sutton will adapt but fingers crossed.

If Papa doesn't play prop and we don't sign one I can't see how we can stop a Souths style pack from just rampaging through the middle...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Unlike our departing props at least Sutton runs on to the ball, so if he follows Hodgo he should get meters. I do agree he might struggle with post contact metres though, hopefully he can find his knees regularly regardless.

Horsburgh is the other player who will be in the rotation imo. We shouldn't make another TPJ mistake with him.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

edwahu wrote:Unlike our departing props at least Sutton runs on to the ball, so if he follows Hodgo he should get meters. I do agree he might struggle with post contact metres though, hopefully he can find his knees regularly regardless.

Horsburgh is the other player who will be in the rotation imo. We shouldn't make another TPJ mistake with him.
Re: Horsburgh... I agree, he’s up to it and we definitely don’t want the TPJ result with him.

8. Lui
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Sutton
17. Horsburgh/Guler/Knight

Those 3 can hopefully get 8-10 games each covering that spot in the bench and injuries

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I was impressed with Guler, I think by next year he'll be ready to push Lui, Sutton or Sia out. I think we're too small otherwise.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sutton only early 20s isn't he? Props usually hit their best form mid 20s onward. Plenty of upside if so.

After initial concern I'm now OK with our prop rotation. Proven players with Paps and Sia. Young blokes like Sutton and Guler coming through. Liu a capable back up. Think I prefer this more mobile pack that the 'giants' we've trotted out previously.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I don’t see Guler as a big forward... I thought he might’ve looked bigger in the 20s game.

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Dusty wrote: October 14, 2018, 3:56 pm I don’t see Guler as a big forward... I thought he might’ve looked bigger in the 20s game.

He's 191cm and already looking strong at only 20, not gangly height. At that age, from what I saw last year, with 6 months more weights and filling out, I'd say he will count as a big body. I am speaking in comparison to props like Sia, Lui, Kaufusi or similar.

Sure, not a whopper like Boyd or a cannonball like Paulo but they were cumbersome. He'll be 112-115kg easy by next season and that's big enough. Put it this way, he's bigger than any other prop on our books right now.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Sutton and Bateman both had a great work rate. Should take a lot of work of Whitehead and Hodgo in defence if they can adapt to the pace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm assuming Bateman played 80 minutes but interested to know how many minutes Sutton played? GE, did you take note?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Dusty wrote: October 14, 2018, 3:10 pm
edwahu wrote:Unlike our departing props at least Sutton runs on to the ball, so if he follows Hodgo he should get meters. I do agree he might struggle with post contact metres though, hopefully he can find his knees regularly regardless.

Re: Horsburgh... I agree, he’s up to it and we definitely don’t want the TPJ result with him.

8. Lui
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Sutton
17. Horsburgh/Guler/Knight

Those 3 can hopefully get 8-10 games each covering that spot in the bench and injuries

If Lui is our starting prop I think we'll be in for another long season. I'm hoping Soliola, Sutton or Guler start with Papa.
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

Went to the Super League final last night and watched our guys closely all game, thought both looked good. Was sold on J Bateman already despite not knowing how he really fits into the team (4 international backrowers is a nice problem to have I guess), but I’m now confident Sutton can contribute something here too.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

gergreg wrote:I'm assuming Bateman played 80 minutes but interested to know how many minutes Sutton played? GE, did you take note?

More than 40 less then 80.

Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Longer term I’m confident.

Guler,horsburgh,Murchie,cotric,roache, Hala all either junior kangaroos/kiwis. We just need to hold them. Combined with Bateman/Papa/Hodgson bring on 3 years time!

Will be a long 2-3 years in between though.
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hopefully Sutton brings it every week. That's the difference between the NRL and ESL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: October 14, 2018, 9:01 pm
gergreg wrote:I'm assuming Bateman played 80 minutes but interested to know how many minutes Sutton played? GE, did you take note?

More than 40 less then 80.

The Super League stats don’t report that: http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... port/95449
David
Ken Nagas

Post by David »

Kermit wrote: October 14, 2018, 10:32 pm Longer term I’m confident.

Guler,horsburgh,Murchie,cotric,roache, Hala all either junior kangaroos/kiwis. We just need to hold them. Combined with Bateman/Papa/Hodgson bring on 3 years time!

Will be a long 2-3 years in between though.
Agreed. Cant see us making the 8 next year but as these young kids come through i can definitely see us making a dent :)
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I have made a point of watching the last few Wigan games including the final.
Bateman has been really impressive.
Such a competitor.
Sutton on the other hand hasn't really stood out.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Roy Rover wrote: October 15, 2018, 10:23 am I have made a point of watching the last few Wigan games including the final.
Bateman has been really impressive.
Such a competitor.
Sutton on the other hand hasn't really stood out.
Sutton was out for 2 months injured. Puts him way behind
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 15, 2018, 6:29 am Hopefully Sutton brings it every week. That's the difference between the NRL and ESL.
Exactly.

He'll play in no bigger or better quality game in the NRL than Wigan v Saints over here. The difference is the lack of a 'free pass' easy game before or after.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

MrPosh wrote: October 16, 2018, 12:28 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 15, 2018, 6:29 am Hopefully Sutton brings it every week. That's the difference between the NRL and ESL.
Exactly.

He'll play in no bigger or better quality game in the NRL than Wigan v Saints over here. The difference is the lack of a 'free pass' easy game before or after.
It's a good sign that he can deliver in big games and he wants to test himself. I am worried though, that our coaching staff has been less than impressive in getting our current squad to consistently play at a high level.

Hopefully it works out for both Sutton and the Raiders. I'm far less concerned about Bateman. I think he'll come in with the same attitude as Hodgson did.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:
Dusty wrote: October 14, 2018, 3:56 pm I don’t see Guler as a big forward... I thought he might’ve looked bigger in the 20s game.

He's 191cm and already looking strong at only 20, not gangly height. At that age, from what I saw last year, with 6 months more weights and filling out, I'd say he will count as a big body. I am speaking in comparison to props like Sia, Lui, Kaufusi or similar.

Sure, not a whopper like Boyd or a cannonball like Paulo but they were cumbersome. He'll be 112-115kg easy by next season and that's big enough. Put it this way, he's bigger than any other prop on our books right now.
I didn't pick Guler as that tall, with him at 6'3 112kg'ish and Horsburgh 6'2 100kg+ that's handy enough. Add in Murchie who I thought looked good and if 2 of those 3 go on I reckon that's solid return on investment

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: October 16, 2018, 6:14 am
BadnMean wrote:

I didn't pick Guler as that tall, with him at 6'3 112kg'ish and Horsburgh 6'2 100kg+ that's handy enough. Add in Murchie who I thought looked good and if 2 of those 3 go on I reckon that's solid return on investment

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Boyd was 6'4" and 120kg odd. So if Guler is 6'3" and 115kg, he is a massive human.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Guler looks like an athlete. Boyd just looks like a big cumbersome human.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im not that confident in Sutton, but my head keeps telling you dont play the games he has as a middle in any professional level without some talent and ability.
It's rather alarming how much we are dependant on Sutton and Guler as middles next year. Guler im confident in, he'll be a really good FG for a long time imo, with rep potential... Sutton... who knows
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 16, 2018, 4:44 pm Guler looks like an athlete. Boyd just looks like a big cumbersome human.
Yes. The size of Boyd's big bony melon alone though is intimidating. I find it hard to image a punch actually doing any damage to it. He'd just glower a bit more.

Guler looks a bit more in the P Vaughan mould of more an athletic build player than just a brute. Remains to be seen whether he has the power and agility Vaughan has displayed at times though. I hope does!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like Ryan Sutton is on the plane to Canberra. Guess he starts on Monday.
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

greeneyed wrote:Looks like Ryan Sutton is on the plane to Canberra. Guess he starts on Monday.
Some good news

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryan Sutton begins training with Canberra Raiders

Many clubs in Australia are already entering their second week of pre-season training but yesterday saw Ryan Sutton train for the first time with Canberra Raiders in the nation's capital. He will be followed to Canberra by John Bateman after Christmas after Ricky Stuart told the back-rower to spend the holiday season in the UK.

Read more: https://www.totalrl.com/sutton-begins-t ... -canberra/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

My take on Sutton is:
1. At 23 he has over 100 ESL games. Must have some ability.
2. Has played England A, English Knights. Id say some experts think he has ability, and remember the last 2 blokes we signed off this A squad?!?
3. In the ESL GF this yr he played 60mins for 150m and 40 odd tackles. (These are off the top of my head, but im sure GE posted them on here somewhere)
4. He is known his uncompromising style of play. Something the more successful Poms in the NRL are known for.

I reckon he will be more than serviceable as an NRL middle forward. Probably starts from the bench, but has starting upside.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Prop Ryan Sutton vows to seize NRL chance after starting Canberra Raiders adventure

Ryan Sutton has cut short his off-season break and flown to Australia to give himself every chance of cracking the NRL.

"I think having a change in lifestyle can help you by getting out of your comfort zone," he said. "I think the actual challenge excites me. They say it’s the best competition in the world, and it is a great competition, and I’m looking forward to challenging myself. But the work starts in the off-season now. If I didn’t think I could do it, I wouldn’t [sign for the Raiders]. Backing yourself is the first battle.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9441613
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: New Canberra Raiders English recruit Ryan Sutton: I want to cement my place in this team

Ryan Sutton spoke for the first time as a Canberra Raiders player and admits that he's here to cement his place in the team.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/11 ... this-team/
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Yeah well we have no one else.. Your already in the team mate

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New English recruit Ryan Sutton starts early in search of Canberra Raiders NRL debut

Canberra Raiders recruit Ryan Sutton has come back from holidays two weeks early to stake his claim for an NRL debut. .

"When you win a few things, which I've been lucky to win a few things over there, you want to try and go that one step further and this is that opportunity I've got," he said. "I'm not going to just lie down I'm going to proper take it with my hands. I just need to show the coaches I'm good enough to get in the team. I'm not taking anything for granted.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50fzx.html

VIDEO: Ryan Sutton began training with the club this week - ready to embrace life down under, WIN News Canberra reports: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1987987 ... 505261169/

VIDEO: New Canberra Raiders English recruit Ryan Sutton: I want to cement my place in this team: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/11 ... this-team/

VIDEO: English prop Ryan Sutton says he’s going to give the NRL everything he has: https://www.facebook.com/TheGHRaiders/p ... and__tn__=-R