Josh Papalii selected for Maroons in Origin I

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Josh Papalii selected for Maroons in Origin I

Post by greeneyed »

Blake Austin hopes age shall not weary Canberra Raiders Nick Cotric's Origin dream

Nick Cotric's dreamt of State of Origin since he was a little kid and teammate Blake Austin hopes the Canberra Raiders young gun's potential to represent NSW 30 times doesn't count against him on Monday.

"Oh definitely, it's been a dream of mine to play for the Blues ever since I was little," Cotric said. "I remember watching it on TV with my family and friends. Definitely, definitely a big dream of mine."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zhp3.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

raiderskater wrote:I'll be stunned if he's not, but if he's not I might just take Fittler a touch more seriously.

Only a touch, mind.
Ching Ching..
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

TPJ's not even discussed in the lead up but I would rather him in the 17 instead of Crighton and Cordner.
Overall it's a decent NSW side.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: May 28, 2018, 7:02 pm TPJ's not even discussed in the lead up but I would rather him in the 17 instead of Crighton and Cordner.
He declared for Tonga. He was discussed plenty before he did that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Taste of Origin will only make NSW Blues prospect Nick Cotric better

He has lit up the rugby league world in his first two seasons in the top grade - but Ricky Stuart says the scary thing is Nick Cotric is only going to get better.

"Personally I believe he should be in the team, but that’s not my decision," Stuart said. "Origin does it for you. Whether it’s your first game or your 20th game, Origin makes you a better player. It’s probably one of the toughest arenas to play a game of football in and I believe it just does it to you naturally.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zi06.html
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

raiderskater wrote: May 28, 2018, 6:47 pm *annoyed sniff* it's a classic NSW move to pick a fullback out of position on the wing rather than pick the form winger of the competition.

Still, that's a somewhat more intelligent selection than past years. Dare we hope NSW won't just get steamrollered this year?

EDIT:

Rothfield and Kent just stated that they thought that Cotric was very unlucky.
Queensland have been picking fullbacks on the wing/in the centers for years...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Think QLD pretty much nailed their team but i'd have probably gone Friend over McCullough myself, even though he's a bit past his prime. I still think he's the best available for QLD. Otherwise they got it pretty spot on

For NSW i would have picked Tommy T in the centres over Roberts and Cotric on the wing. Other than that, just a couple of cosmetic changes, RCG and Vaughan swapping places, and i'd have Jakey T starting and JDB off the bench.
But that's neither here nor there really.

Both really good teams and for the first time in a long time i dont feel like QLD are overwhelming favourites. Nice to see some fresh faces on both sides, should be a good, competitive series.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: May 28, 2018, 8:07 pm Think QLD pretty much nailed their team but i'd have probably gone Friend over McCullough myself, even though he's a bit past his prime. I still think he's the best available for QLD. Otherwise they got it pretty spot on

For NSW i would have picked Tommy T in the centres over Roberts and Cotric on the wing. Other than that, just a couple of cosmetic changes, RCG and Vaughan swapping places, and i'd have Jakey T starting and JDB off the bench.
But that's neither here nor there really.

Both really good teams and for the first time in a long time i dont feel like QLD are overwhelming favourites. Nice to see some fresh faces on both sides, should be a good, competitive series.
NSW are overwhelming favourites.

Origin I NSW $1.58 QLD $2.45
Series NSW $1.54 QLD $2.50
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's massive overs for QLD. NSW probably deserve to be slight favourites, maybe 1.5-2.5 points.
+4.5 looks a good bet to me.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote: May 28, 2018, 7:16 pm
gergreg wrote: May 28, 2018, 7:02 pm TPJ's not even discussed in the lead up but I would rather him in the 17 instead of Crighton and Cordner.
He declared for Tonga. He was discussed plenty before he did that.
Ta. I missed that.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Re: Josh Papalii selected for Maroons in Origin

Post by scotchberry »

I don’t think anyone here, let alone any NSW selector could explain to me in any convincing arguement that Tom Turbo posseses, displays or demonstrated any greater attributes as a winger than Cotric does ? .

Addo Carr, Roberts, Mitchell aren’t Origin quality and a Cotric will be there by the end of this series,

Tom Turbo will be in the immortal discussion in 10years time with Ponga but will always be a winger in Origin
Last edited by scotchberry on May 29, 2018, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

scotchberry wrote: May 28, 2018, 9:20 pm I don’t think anyone here, let alone any NSW selector could explain to me in any convincing arguement that Tom Turbo posseses, displays or demonstrated any greater attributes as a winger than Cotric does ? .

Addo Carr, Roberts, Mitchell aren’t Origin quality and a Cotric will be there tby the end of this series,

Tom Turbo will be in the immortal discussion in 10years time with Ponga but will always be a wi her in Origin
The Immortal discussion?! Wow. I can’t see how Cotric doesn’t get selected for NSW... he’s their best winger... but I guess that’s up to the Blues.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Well he doesn’t have a **** haircut or nickname
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Papilii should be starting at 13, with McGuire coming off the bench. McGuire is coming back from a long lay off due to injury. Bold move by QLD not picking Scott, I would prefer Hess to start at 11 and swap Cooper for Scott. Cooper struggles without Thurston by his side
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2018, 9:43 pm
scotchberry wrote: May 28, 2018, 9:20 pm I don’t think anyone here, let alone any NSW selector could explain to me in any convincing arguement that Tom Turbo posseses, displays or demonstrated any greater attributes as a winger than Cotric does ? .

Addo Carr, Roberts, Mitchell aren’t Origin quality and a Cotric will be there tby the end of this series,

Tom Turbo will be in the immortal discussion in 10years time with Ponga but will always be a wi her in Origin
The Immortal discussion?! Wow. I can’t see how Cotric doesn’t get selected for NSW... he’s their best winger... but I guess that’s up to the Blues.
Yeah - I know it’s early in their careers and the wrong thread and time to discuss but I just think they are **** superstars.

Tedesco is just another Josh Dugan imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin 2018: Restricted training for James Roberts - Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric on standby

NSW rookie James Roberts was restricted to light duties during the Blues’ first training session under Brad Fittler in Coogee on Tuesday. The Blues insist he will be fine to play at the MCG but will monitor his condition throughout the early parts of the week.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... n-standby/