25%

Total votes: 12

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: 2018 Rd 12 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by magoo »

T_R wrote: May 26, 2018, 9:22 am
Question wrote:I've never been so pissed off the morning after a win, I may punch anyone that looks at me sideways today.
Shaving should prove interesting this morning

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
:roflmao
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I have become so accustomed to us finding ways to loose. That I really did think that when the kickoff wasn’t going to go 10m after the Sezer field goal that we would grab the ball and Manly would then kick the resulting penalty to win.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Lucky Austin with last play of the game!!!
Under the knock on and forward pass section of rugby league rules it states; A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That would have been peak Raiders if he got penalised, and they kicked the 2 from 51m to win
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

I still cant get over the fact we kicked a firld goal...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LP Raider wrote:Lucky Austin with last play of the game!!!
Under the knock on and forward pass section of rugby league rules it states; A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.
The issue with the intentional knock on or forward pass rule is that it’s never actually applied by refs.

And as for people rightly pointing out the forward pass for Wighton’s try, Joel Thomson got a slightly forward pass for his try and Manly’s second half try featured a clearly forward pass a few plays before.

It was a forward passathon all night last night, particularly from dummy half. But Cameron Smith rarely gets called for his regular forward passes. Even Cotric’s first try was from a slightly forward ball from Croker.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Just letting people know the rules, should have been a penalty to Manly.

The same player threw the ball at Tapow early on in the game. Sort of sums up Blake Austin and our halves situation.
WorkChoice
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

BJ wrote: May 26, 2018, 1:48 pm
The issue with the intentional knock on or forward pass rule is that it’s never actually applied by refs.
Can you imagine this place if Austin was penalised for that last intentional knock on and Manly slotted over a 50m penalty after the hooter? Every now and then Refs blow up penalties that are rarely enforced. I can remember an occasion back last century when a team, I think the Broncos, were penalised right on full time for an incorrect 20m tap and then lost the game.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

That knock on thing frustrated me, still trying to be "so clever and fancy"

Tap it and kick it into the frigging carpark
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

kona_dream wrote: May 26, 2018, 1:11 pm I have become so accustomed to us finding ways to loose. That I really did think that when the kickoff wasn’t going to go 10m after the Sezer field goal that we would grab the ball and Manly would then kick the resulting penalty to win.
I was also hoping none of our players would try pick up the ball and run 40 metres to score :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Begbie wrote:
BJ wrote: May 26, 2018, 1:48 pm
Can you imagine this place if Austin was penalised for that last intentional knock on and Manly slotted over a 50m penalty after the hooter? Every now and then Refs blow up penalties that are rarely enforced. I can remember an occasion back last century when a team, I think the Broncos, were penalised right on full time for an incorrect 20m tap and then lost the game.

Yes Broncos v Roosters. It was a compulsory tap which meant you had to put the ball on the ground and tap it forward with your foot before passing. The blow up led to a rule change meaning you only had to touch the ball with your foot.

However, all the teams used to play 20m taps correctly to that rule at the time (older fans will recall Steve Walters always putting the ball on the ground before tapping it), it was a stuff up by the Bronco player not an unusual call for the interpretation of the day.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 26, 2018, 7:13 am Some of you lot would boo Santa Claus. A win is a win, have a beer and enjoy it, we might not get too many more this year. Sometimes you gotta win ugly. This team lacks confidence in tight games. Hopefully they got some last night.
You’re telling us to have a beer at 7am? Very irresponsible :nooo
It's midday somewhere
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Begbie wrote: May 25, 2018, 6:51 pm That rule about being penalised for a high shot on a slipping player will change when it happens to an important and media backed team
in Golden Point.
Fixed
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Does anyone know if Uate got charged for his shoulder charge on Cotric? Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Billy Walker wrote:
Rick wrote: May 26, 2018, 8:51 am How good was BJ last night! His defence was awesome, including taking Kelly out twice.

His dummy half runs really continue to get us on the front foot. Good to see him going well again

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
He consistently turns over possession once or twice a game trying for an offload that isn on. I've noticed if he receives the ball from a good offload in the tackle he feels he also must offload in the tackle when more often the smarter option is take the extra 10 meters and get a quick play the ball. Similarly if Rapana takes a dummy half scoot, BJ also rushes in to do the same. I find him quite frustrating and although he did some good things last night I feel there are a lot more rocks than diamonds in his game.
This isn’t personal BW, because I see this sort of comment on here all the time. And it’s just idiotic. Yes he makes a mistake here and there pushing plays, but that’s part and parcel of his creativity. That’s how we play well. Part of the reason we played poorly last year was because he was instructed to put the offload away after a couple of games where he made too many mistakes and we lost all our attacking threat.

And last nite he made one error where he was carrying the ball a bit loosely. I think there’s a lot of assumptions it’s him doing the wrong thing every time a ball’s dropped on that side of the field. Even the commentators were blaming “those two” (leipana) when in fact it was Smell pushing the pass.

His defence with Austo’s the issue - not him making a couple of errors a game. Scoring from long range is what got us to 2nd on the ladder in 2016 and we can’t nullify our best attaching weapons for mere field position. Particularly given how poor we can be inside the 10.

scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

LP Raider wrote: May 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 25, 2018, 7:06 pm Havilli is a good footballer- he needs to stay in the team when Hodgson returns
Hodgson needs to play 7 and Havili should stay where he is.
It would be pretty stupid to waste close to $1mil a season on a bloke to play halfback who has never played halfback before
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

scotchberry wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: May 25, 2018, 7:06 pm Havilli is a good footballer- he needs to stay in the team when Hodgson returns
It would be pretty stupid to waste close to $1mil a season on a bloke to play halfback who has never played halfback before
He played halfback plenty of times in the superleague
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

-TW- wrote: May 26, 2018, 4:20 pm
scotchberry wrote:
He played halfback plenty of times in the superleague
Cheers - I wasn’t aware of that.

Unless he is Thurston/Cronk/Cleary level I stand by my comment that it would be stupid to pay someone that amount of money to play that position though. (Ben Hunt references aside).

On a side note I have no idea what he is actually on but I would guess in the vicinity of $800K pa which if your going to play him at halfback he would want to be a **** world beater
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

If Hodgson can play half back I’d give him a go there. I think Sezer is a terrific bloke but I don’t think he has that xfactor and leadership required. Too hot and cold for my liking.

While I’m happy we won, I’m still concerned. Our attack is soo one dimensional. We do not have an array of set plays. At times we don’t even look sure about our passes. We purely rely on individual brilliance to score.

Rapana must get a chance at fullback!!! He would be the games most dangerous fullback if he settled there. Absolutely love that guy.

Wighton replaces Croker
Croker replaces Cotric
Cotric replace Rapana
Rapana at fullback.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Teams should really be able to shut us down, we have one set play which is the sweep to the left

I don't know why we don't use that same formation on the right
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote: May 26, 2018, 4:16 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Rick wrote: May 26, 2018, 8:51 am How good was BJ last night! His defence was awesome, including taking Kelly out twice.

His dummy half runs really continue to get us on the front foot. Good to see him going well again

He consistently turns over possession once or twice a game trying for an offload that isn on. I've noticed if he receives the ball from a good offload in the tackle he feels he also must offload in the tackle when more often the smarter option is take the extra 10 meters and get a quick play the ball. Similarly if Rapana takes a dummy half scoot, BJ also rushes in to do the same. I find him quite frustrating and although he did some good things last night I feel there are a lot more rocks than diamonds in his game.
This isn’t personal BW, because I see this sort of comment on here all the time. And it’s just idiotic. Yes he makes a mistake here and there pushing plays, but that’s part and parcel of his creativity. That’s how we play well. Part of the reason we played poorly last year was because he was instructed to put the offload away after a couple of games where he made too many mistakes and we lost all our attacking threat.

And last nite he made one error where he was carrying the ball a bit loosely. I think there’s a lot of assumptions it’s him doing the wrong thing every time a ball’s dropped on that side of the field. Even the commentators were blaming “those two” (leipana) when in fact it was Smell pushing the pass.

His defence with Austo’s the issue - not him making a couple of errors a game. Scoring from long range is what got us to 2nd on the ladder in 2016 and we can’t nullify our best attaching weapons for mere field position. Particularly given how poor we can be inside the 10.

I wouldn't take it personally, and always welcome everyone's views. I take your point and don't get me wrong I'm cheering hard when his offloads do come off. There's no doubt he is an exciting player when things are sticking!

I look at the Melbourne team of last year as an example of a well drilled disciplined side that did the percentage things that produced results. I'm not sure there is room for a rocks and diamonds player in a set up like that.

I hope he proves me wrong and gets back to 2016 form where he was knocking on the door for blues selection.

I also agree he does a massive load in rumbling out of our half.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

So Gubb played so little minutes last night he is allowed to play NSW today along with Hingano who had zero..

In a match where we spent most of the time spluttering all over the place that is another appalling use of the bench, nothing done to try change things up.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

scotchberry wrote: May 26, 2018, 4:17 pm
As has been mentioned he has played half, its about getting the best 13 on the park.

Havili at 9 is better than Austin and Sezer in 6 and 7, Hodgson can have a similar effect on the team at 7 as he would in 9 in my humble opinion.
WorkChoice
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

LP Raider wrote: May 26, 2018, 5:22 pm
scotchberry wrote: May 26, 2018, 4:17 pm
As has been mentioned he has played half, its about getting the best 13 on the park.

Havili at 9 is better than Austin and Sezer in 6 and 7, Hodgson can have a similar effect on the team at 7 as he would in 9 in my humble opinion.
No that’s fair enough and I agree with you regarding a Hodgson and Havili combo being better than a Sezer/Austin combo. I also think Hodgson could possibly play a decent halfbacks game.

But my position centers around that if you are going to use the amount of salary cap on a player that we are on Hodgson then you damn better be hoping to get that amount of performance out of him.

Hodgson is being payed as an elite hooker, unless he can play halfback to match anywhere near that amount it’s just bad cap and squad management yet again.

Especially considering that he is currently the only one we are talking about under contract for next season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders boast never-say-die crowd

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart put down his team's record membership and strong crowds in tough time slots to their never-say-die attitude.

"From a coach's point of view, from our courage and the will to win, the never say die, that's what's in the green jumper," Stuart said. "We're getting those crowds because of these blokes. You've got a captain there that knocks the ball over, under pressure, that to me, I never ever take what Jarrod does for granted."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zhq6.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If only you could figure out why the team dies in the **** repeatedly then we might actually be half decent
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half Aidan Sezer gets field-goal monkey off his back

It wasn't pretty, but it was a field goal that could help Canberra Raiders general Aidan Sezer take his game to the next level. He’s not kicked a field goal in his time with Canberra.

"I kicked a few goals in my time with the Titans and coming down here we haven't been all that successful in doing so," Sezer said. "It's been something that's really sat with me the last couple of years and to get the monkey off the back and kick one, albeit an ugly one, I think it will do me the world of good.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zhp0.html
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Schifty wrote: May 26, 2018, 5:02 pm So Gubb played so little minutes last night he is allowed to play NSW today along with Hingano who had zero..

In a match where we spent most of the time spluttering all over the place that is another appalling use of the bench, nothing done to try change things up.
I’d say it was good coaching, Hingano’s a rubbish hooker and Gubb is pretty awful. Our middle was going ok and holding there own against a very good Manly Middle
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: May 26, 2018, 6:26 pm Canberra Raiders boast never-say-die crowd

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart put down his team's record membership and strong crowds in tough time slots to their never-say-die attitude.

"From a coach's point of view, from our courage and the will to win, the never say die, that's what's in the green jumper," Stuart said. "We're getting those crowds because of these blokes. You've got a captain there that knocks the ball over, under pressure, that to me, I never ever take what Jarrod does for granted."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zhq6.html
You're gonna kill the **** crowd Ricky if they keep being like this. Can we get a few nice 50-point wins under our belt to just steady everyone's heart rates?

He is right in one respect though - I never had a doubt Croker would kick that goal. I was too busy panicking over what might happen after that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Always good to get a win over Manly, and to finally nab a close one was a nice change. Watching it on Friday morning here is the UK definitely put a spring in the step to start the weekend!

That said, Stuart's press conference really annoyed me when I watched it this morn. The reality is we made ALL of the same errors that have been costing us games and were very fortunate to win. Defensive errors by Blake and BJ, awful discipline gifting the opposition field position and points, pushing passes and handling errors at the wrong times, awful last tackle options and game management. None of the things that let us down week after week were any better last night, I would have liked to hear the coach say as much (Croker at least eluded to it briefly).

The reality is that our five wins have come over the bottom 5 teams on the ladder, and are zero wins from 4 against teams in the top 8. That tells you all you need to know about this team. We have enough individual brilliance to beat the bottom teams but are absolutely nowhere near the good teams in this comp. For Stuart to say that the return of Hodgson makes us a premiership threat is laughable, particularly when he played every game last year and we didn't even make the 8.

It's not bad luck, we're just not very good. And we haven't addressed any of the areas that have lost us games for the last year and a half.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dynamic Lui, how good was he

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I've mulled it over a few beers today, and the win is still a **** show, dead set gronks.
This place is woke.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I have rewatched the game twice today, and took deliberate note of Sezer due to the criticism on here and in the commentary. In the first half (where we had approx 1/3 rd of the ball he was criticised for a kick into the ingoal which "nobody" chased. It was pretty obvious to me that Soliola who was right on his left hip called for the kick ingoal, but he was immediately held off the ball leaving it to run over the dead ball line. I can forgive Sezer for that one in hindsight. In the second half we had much more possession albeit in spurts and Sezer was quite good at getting the ball distributed , especially on the spread. Until we came to the fatefull period when Trent was binned and we lost composure. Sezers big error here was the forward pass, an inexplicable and unforgivable error, but one I have seen from better credentialed players this year. His next error was the dropped ball in the tackle when being tackled from behind. The commentators were very vocal in their criticism of this error, but it commonly happens to other players in the same circumstances.
In summary I think most of the criticism was unwarranted, he made just the one unforgiveable error while doing many good things, and his defence was solid. I would give him a B+.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

PabloKang2620 wrote: May 26, 2018, 4:15 pm Does anyone know if Uate got charged for his shoulder charge on Cotric? Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Uates left arm is clearly around Cotric..

That horn in the background is an extension of the arm.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

LP Raider wrote: May 26, 2018, 1:36 pm Lucky Austin with last play of the game!!!
It's a great point LPR. Austin should have been penalised. When I watched it I immediately thought 'oh no, here's a new way to lose'. We were lucky that the two Refs on the field were the two blokes most wanting to get off the park. Imo they knew they had a 'Shocker-athon' with poor decisions going both ways. Eg the moratorium on calling forward passes.

The most obvious play was to tap the ball and then get tackled. Alternatively, tap the ball and immediately kick it into touch. But Austin has not been able to kick the ball since injuring his ankle. So why on earth did he end up with the ball in that situation? Captain, please explain?