A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Civic still preferred stadium option for Canberra Raiders

Post by gerg »

The Epic proposal sounds like a Billy Walker idea.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

EPIC is a ridiculous idea. No other business would survive out there. Nobody is going to EPIC outside of the 20-25 days a year that a football match is being played at the stadium. Commercial suicide for any restaurant or bar.

There is plenty of room to build a decent sized football stadium at the Civic pool site, even if it requires a minor realignment of Parkes Way.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: October 29, 2019, 7:31 pm The Epic proposal sounds like a Billy Walker idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Liberals refuse to commit to a new Canberra Stadium

The Canberra Liberals say they have a 10-year plan to turn the city into the amateur sporting capital of Australia, but are reluctant to declare whether they would build a new Canberra Stadium.

“I'm waiting to see what the Commonwealth decides to do with the AIS, and seeking feedback from the public.”

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... g-capital/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The public would like a new Stadium in Civic, quickly. The inaction of our politicians is a sight to behold.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If they committed it would probably win them the election.

Considering how handy it would be for the Fed libs to have act under a liberal govt I'm surprised they haven't committed some funds

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Has anyone heard if there has been a second TV Screen installed at GIO stadium for this year? I swear it was promised from Andrew (afl) Barr that a new screen would be in stalled by the start of this year's football season. Latest??
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

bayraider wrote:Has anyone heard if there has been a second TV Screen installed at GIO stadium for this year? I swear it was promised from Andrew (afl) Barr that a new screen would be in stalled by the start of this year's football season. Latest??
Instead it was installed at Andrew Barr’s house so he can watch AFL.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bayraider wrote:Has anyone heard if there has been a second TV Screen installed at GIO stadium for this year? I swear it was promised from Andrew (afl) Barr that a new screen would be in stalled by the start of this year's football season. Latest??
I'll tell you tomorrow

bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Thanks. Going to the brumbies game?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah I'll go for a look

bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

So I rang up Canberra stadium to see if there was a new TV screen in stalled and I got told that a 2nd screen was under construction and would be finished very soon. I asked if it would be ready for the raiders first game and he was pretty confident it would be. Then I asked him if it was going to be bigger, smaller or the same size as the existing one and he was overly confident that it was going to be at least 2 to 3 times the size of the existing one. So bloody good news as I have season tickets in the meninga stand in bay 10 which is slightly over to that side if the stadium where the new screen will be.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They've been delayed due to the total fire bans

It's to go at the southern end

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:They've been delayed due to the total fire bans

It's to go at the southern end

Total fire ban level clearly states they are Not able to show the Raiders on fire by screening replays of last years best tries.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Anyone see the Brumbies crowd on Friday? We won’t be getting a new stadium anytime soon with those numbers.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Riaan wrote:Anyone see the Brumbies crowd on Friday? We won’t be getting a new stadium anytime soon with those numbers.
Very sparse crowd. So many empty bays.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Imagine going to sit in 38 degree heat to watch a super rugby game. That’s some sort of torture I couldn’t even conjure up for a 2am game of would you rather.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It was absolutely ****, and that was in the shade

There were people sitting on the eastern side in the sun when it was still 40 degrees

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's beyond belief that they started their comp this early. Kicking off in mid summer for a winter sport is madness.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Everything is mad. Like traveling between South Africa, Australia, Japan and South America
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The sooner that code fizzles out and dies, the better.
Wont bode well for a new stadium but that's a small price to pay to see that **** sport get it's life snuffed out
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Rugby has shot itself in the foot with the importance placed on the World Cup. The 4 years in between feel like preparation rather than anything meaningful.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Botman wrote: February 4, 2020, 11:02 am The sooner that code fizzles out and dies, the better.
Wont bode well for a new stadium but that's a small price to pay to see that **** sport get it's life snuffed out
They need to survive long enough to justify a new stadium. The way Rugby Australia has been managing things, it's a wonder that code is still going at an elite level.

As for crowd numbers for the Brumbies game last Friday, a lot of people down Tuggeranong way wouldn't have risked leaving their home in case of embers coming down on their property. I watched the game in AC comfort with my wife keeping an eye on alert updates.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It could get even worse for union. Foxtel cutting back rugby union programming... and threatening to cut ties altogether after 2020...

Foxtel withdraws offer for the five-year rights to the Super Rugby competition, the National Rugby Championships and Wallabies Tests: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 53dlt.html

Rugby union programming cut: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 53tyi.html

They're saying rugby league, AFL and cricket departments to be cut back too.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

yurithe1 wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:16 pm
Botman wrote: February 4, 2020, 11:02 am The sooner that code fizzles out and dies, the better.
They need to survive long enough to justify a new stadium. The way Rugby Australia has been managing things, it's a wonder that code is still going at an elite level.

As for crowd numbers for the Brumbies game last Friday, a lot of people down Tuggeranong way wouldn't have risked leaving their home in case of embers coming down on their property. I watched the game in AC comfort with my wife keeping an eye on alert updates.
It's not that surprising given the key skills are gaining <1m per run and <15 metres per kick.

I used to love playing rugby growing up. You were guaranteed a break every 90 seconds with either a kick for touch or knock on.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:58 pm

It's not that surprising given the key skills are gaining <1m per run and <15 metres per kick.

I used to love playing rugby growing up. You were guaranteed a break every 90 seconds with either a kick for touch or knock on.
Do they place more emphasis on backline movement to score a try

OR

Kicking for touch and goal?

Seriously boring game, have a mate that played at a decent level and he always tells me, yeah but you have to understand the game Johno.

I dont understand NFL but was great to watch yesterday.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Johno wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 4, 2020, 1:58 pm

Do they place more emphasis on backline movement to score a try

OR

Kicking for touch and goal?

Seriously boring game, have a mate that played at a decent level and he always tells me, yeah but you have to understand the game Johno.

I dont understand NFL but was great to watch yesterday.
I played ruggers for 7 years and understand it quite well. It was always a good game to play but **** to watch. Even when I was playing I was watching rugby league more often than union.

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Progress!

ACT government to invest in stadium feasibility study in Civic and at EPIC

The ACT government will spend $200,000 on a feasibility study, to report by June-July, to determine the best location of a new Canberra Stadium. The site of the Civic pool is still the preferred location, but concerns about the cost or realigning Parkes Way and the orientation of the venue has led to Exhibition Park or Bruce as fallbacks.

"Everybody knows the beating heart of the city is where a lot of the great sporting stadiums are now. It'd be fantastic for us," said Raiders boss Don Furner.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

EPIC is the absolute worst option... by a long way. The ACT Government is besotted with a tram line that serves very few people. Mitchell is a far worse location than Bruce. If it can’t be Civic, find a location in Woden or stay at Bruce. Both are far more central. EPIC is in the middle of nothing.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Civic is the best location. Can I have 200k now?

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

greeneyed wrote: February 7, 2020, 7:04 am EPIC is the absolute worst option... by a long way. The ACT Government is besotted with a tram line that serves very few people. Mitchell is a far worse location than Bruce. If it can’t be Civic, find a location in Woden or stay at Bruce. Both are far more central. EPIC is in the middle of nothing.
Couldn't agree more with this. EPIC would be the worst choice by far. They would get the biggest return for their investment if it was placed in the city. It wouldn't just be used for sport. Major concerts and acts could play at a large venue in the CBD. It's a no brainer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ve said this before... if it doesn’t fit on the pool site... build it on the other side of Parkes Way, in Commonwealth Park. There’s plenty of room on top of the car park and close to Commonwealth Avenue, put it on top of Stage 88 if need be... and build a new outdoor concert venue on the pool site. Build new manicured gardens further along the north side of the lake shore.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Forget it. We're stuck with Bruce for at least another 15-20 seasons.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Great way to waste $200k. EPIC over Civic would be the dumbest decision ever made in Chief Minister history.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Word is that the government want EPIC and Thoroughbred Park (Race course) moved out to Majura Valley, near the airport. This would allow major residential/commercial and stadium development close to existing light rail. A Civic Stadium is a pipe dream people.