A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:16 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 21, 2020, 2:23 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:This is a pretty cool concept for a multi use space that Adelaide are considering

https://twitter.com/JohnCasey2880/statu ... 50753?s=20
Playing out of Adelaide would be a lot better for the visiting fans too, as the weather isn’t uninhabitable eleven and a half months of the year
Pussy
You really shouldn't have to dress like you're on the ice planet of Hoth in the second month of Summer.
You've obviously never been to Canberra in January
I have, plenty of times, and it's like a nice winter's day in Rocky.

40 degrees and zero percent humidity? Get out of here, that's not hot at all.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We had guys from the Melbourne office come to Canberra in Feb wearing ski jackets. It was 42 degrees and they said they’d brought them because they heard Canberra was cold. They learnt their lesson and copped it for years (even from fellow Melburnians).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Civic pool site preferred by both major ACT political parties for new stadium

Replacing the Civic Olympic pool with a purpose-built stadium as a future home for the Raiders appears certain to be part of Canberra's long-term infrastructure plans, with both major political parties agreeing the site remained their preferred option.

The existing site is too small for a 25,000-seat so-called boutique stadium, meaning the government would need to secure Commonwealth support for a realignment of Parkes Way, or send the dual carriageway underneath the development site, to free up more space.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So why did they spend further money to consider Natex and the existing Bruce site?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: October 11, 2020, 7:15 pm So why did they spend further money to consider Natex and the existing Bruce site?

Pushes it further onto the back burner I guess.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Apparently theres money in the federal budget for Parkes Way

"The federal government earmarked money in Tuesday's budget for work related to the Parkes Way realignment, Mr Barr said."

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

heavs
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by heavs »

Civic would obviously be better from a game day experience. But it would be such a compromised stadium (either capacity or viewing experience) if it went that way. Unless there was big dollars spent on Parkes Way. Then you'd need the NCA to approve it as well (any stadium there would be about two times as high as their current limits allow). Hope it can work out.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Old poster Raidersfan promised us the Civic Stadium would be built by now if Andrew Barr wins the 2016 election.

A few of us had some doubts........

What a surprise it comes up again with Andrew Barr talking positively about a Civic stadium close to election time.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Old poster Raidersfan promised us the Civic Stadium would be built by now if Andrew Barr wins the 2016 election.

What a surprise it comes up again with Andrew Barr talking positively about a Civic stadium close to election time.
It's the new version of the very fast train, not to be mistaken for the tram.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: October 14, 2020, 3:51 pm
BJ wrote:Old poster Raidersfan promised us the Civic Stadium would be built by now if Andrew Barr wins the 2016 election.

It's the new version of the very fast train, not to be mistaken for the tram.

Which is a very slow train?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Given this isn't on the election agenda for any party, I suspect this isn't gonna be in the pipeline for quite a while.

I would've thought Coe and the Liberals would go for the Hail Mary on a big ticket item like this to try and induce a large swing, but I guess it's just not viewed as feasible or worthy.
heavs
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by heavs »

Never understood why old mate Barra didn't push the NSW Government/QPRC to build one over the border.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BJ wrote: October 14, 2020, 2:41 pm Old poster Raidersfan promised us the Civic Stadium would be built by now if Andrew Barr wins the 2016 election.

Oh yes, but Barr announced our ice rink...to be built by a company who was supposed to build a rink in Adelaide a few years ago but never came through...

(I'm sure they'll start building it right before the next election.)
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

raiderskater wrote: October 14, 2020, 7:09 pm
BJ wrote: October 14, 2020, 2:41 pm Old poster Raidersfan promised us the Civic Stadium would be built by now if Andrew Barr wins the 2016 election.

Oh yes, but Barr announced our ice rink...to be built by a company who was supposed to build a rink in Adelaide a few years ago but never came through...

(I'm sure they'll start building it right before the next election.)
Fair go, the water won't freeze for months now...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Andrew Barr has promised an Ice Rink for Tuggeranong?

Makes perfect sense. The ice age was the last time his party spent any money on Tuggeranong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Sports Minister Yvette Berry calls on Commonwealth to chip in for Civic Stadium

ACT Sports Minister Yvette Berry has called on the federal government to invest in a new Canberra Stadium. Berry said significant work would need to be done, considering the realignment of Parkes Way and other traffic arrangements.

The study looked at four seating-bowl options for a stadium with a capacity of at least 25,000 at the Civic Olympic pool site. For a 2032 finish, it would cost between $560 million and $707 million depending on the roof type and facade.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

A Civic stadium could be built in six years: ACT government-commissioned study

A government-commissioned study shows the government's preferred option of a city stadium seating 25,000 people would be feasible and slightly cheaper than building at EPIC.

A civic stadium opening in 2027 would cost about $582 million, but if it opened by 2032 the cost would be closer to $645 million.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... rs-report/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are some positive parts to those stories. First, the Civic site is feasible, and judged to deliver the best benefits. If decisions were taken quickly, it could be built in six years (2027 at the earliest). The other positive is that the preferred design seems to have general public (premium) seating on the western side, as well as corporate suites. It seems like they'd be very steep stands.

The less positive... it probably won't be built until 2032, if then.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If we build it slowly, it will cost more. Let's build it slowly. Governments.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BJ wrote: October 14, 2020, 8:46 pm Andrew Barr has promised an Ice Rink for Tuggeranong?

Makes perfect sense. The ice age was the last time his party spent any money on Tuggeranong.
Pfft, if you actually think anything on that will happen before the next election I've a bridge to sell you.

A new rink has supposedly been coming for 20 years.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I predict we'll have at least two more feasibility studies before we get even close to a new stadium. How much are the feasibility studies by the way?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The ACT Government has been loosely promising this stadium for a decade and changing the story each year. One minute it’s the Light Rail that delays it, then it’s Covid, now we need Federal funding.
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

raiderskater wrote:
BJ wrote: October 14, 2020, 8:46 pm Andrew Barr has promised an Ice Rink for Tuggeranong?

Pfft, if you actually think anything on that will happen before the next election I've a bridge to sell you.

A new rink has supposedly been coming for 20 years.
Yes I noticed the Ice Rink for Tuggeranong didn’t end up getting a guernsey in last months ACT Budget. Nothing like election year promises.
greeneyed
Don Furner

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:I predict we'll have at least two more feasibility studies before we get even close to a new stadium. How much are the feasibility studies by the way?

This one cost $200,000. That’s a cheap feasibility study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote:I predict we'll have at least two more feasibility studies before we get even close to a new stadium. How much are the feasibility studies by the way?

This one cost $200,000. That’s a cheap feasibility study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That $200k is to cover the costs of the big sign they will install in the area “We are building you a new stadium”.

Sort of like the “We are duplicating Athlonn Drive” sign they installed half a decade ago. Or the “We are improving your bus services” stuck to the post of a bus stop that is no longer serviced.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL chief Andrew Abdo throws support behind a new Canberra Stadium in Civic

The NRL has thrown its support behind a proposed new stadium in Civic, and flagged the potential development as a site for future representative matches.

"If there was investment in a new stadium, we would look to bring NRL content here too, not just the Raiders - Test matches, All Stars, preseason games and the likes."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo supports new stadium for Canberra

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo visited the Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence to tour the new facility and meet with members of the Canberra Raiders board along with CEO Don Furner. Abdo spoke about the NRL's targets for the Canberra region as well as plans for a new stadium.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -canberra/

ACT senator Zed Seselja says new Canberra stadium could underpin the life of the city

A new Canberra stadium could "underpin the life" of the city as ACT senator Zed Seselja joins calls for federal government support to breathe life into the project.

A government-commissioned study has detailed the territory government's preferred option for an "infinity bowl" design in Civic, with ACT Sports Minister Yvette Berry calling for federal government investment.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

the nrl should be saying the act gov has until 2023 to have signed off on a new civic stadium or canberra will no longer host finals games.
Dont delete this GE
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:35 am NRL CEO Andrew Abdo supports new stadium for Canberra

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo visited the Canberra Raiders Centre of Excellence to tour the new facility and meet with members of the Canberra Raiders board along with CEO Don Furner. Abdo spoke about the NRL's targets for the Canberra region as well as plans for a new stadium.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -canberra/
He is hardly going to come here and say, no don't build it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:46 am the nrl should be saying the act gov has until 2023 to have signed off on a new civic stadium or canberra will no longer host finals games.
I doubt such a threat would even register on the ACT GOV radar.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:26 pm
simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:46 am the nrl should be saying the act gov has until 2023 to have signed off on a new civic stadium or canberra will no longer host finals games.
i disagree. that finals time atmoshpere around canberra was the absolute best. another couple of those and people will be crying out to make it continue
Dont delete this GE
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What is an infinity bowl?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 17, 2021, 7:08 pm What is an infinity bowl?
I think it means it’s a very steep stadium. The design is in a post above from earlier this week.

Meanwhile this is what Andrew Barr told The CT... link above:

"[There] is just not room in the next four years, either fiscally, or in terms of industry capacity - so that is the second half of this decade. Everyone cool your jets, it will happen but it's not going to happen in the next four years."
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:30 pm
Botman wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:26 pm
i disagree. that finals time atmoshpere around canberra was the absolute best. another couple of those and people will be crying out to make it continue
That **** only matters when the sitting governement is at risk of actually losing power. Canberra arent going to vote in a LNP party anytime soon. So they'll do it on their terms and their terms only, they're not losing enough votes on this for it to even remotely matter.

Barr as per above has already said forget about until 2025, thats the carrot at the end of the stick. I'd be stunned if we have a new stadium committed to and in progress before 2027-28, and absolutely nothing the NRL threaten the Raiders with will change that. Other factors might change that timeline, but not threats from the NRL
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Perhaps the promise of additional rep games (NRL, union, soccer, whatever) would help, but yeah, there is no political imperative for the government to invest in this.

The only thing that may resonate with the Government is some sort of economic benefit beyond what maintaining the current stadium provides.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

IF australia won the Soccer WC, i could see this gov prioritising that.
But short of RU bouncing back and starting to rate an pull well, and frankly, why would it, that code is absolutely dreadful, AND an a-league team... those situations could alter the time line

but if things stay as they are...i'd be stunned if Raiders are sitting in a new stadium before 2030. I think the most likely scenario at this stage is a cheap "make over" of Bruce
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yet the government won't allow a private consortium to fund it either..

I'm pretty sure a group of Super funds would line up to fund it, with a deal to sell it back to the government in 20 years or so, Etihad Stadium style

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk