A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Exhibition Park emerges as possible location for new 25,000-seat Canberra Stadium

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2019, 2:50 pm Let’s bite the bullet. Build it smack bang on top of Commonwealth Park. Create some more manicured gardens and ponds and stuff and a site for Floriade a bit further up, along the lake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll tell you where there is a fair bit of space - up around Jerrabomberra wetlands. Very short walk from Kingston Foreshore, a cheap Uber from the City and fairly central. Probably not smack bang on some endangered spotted turtle swamp land but around the causeway or over near the Capital brewery. There is miles of space around there close to stuff.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Exhibition Park emerges as possible location for new 25,000-seat Canberra Stadium

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: October 17, 2019, 4:09 pm
zim wrote: October 17, 2019, 3:57 pm Sorry mate. You should just do what I do and only use avatars of yourself.
Yeah, it was a rookie error. You hate to see it.
The ball, your net, you know what to do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In the Burley Griffin Plan... where was the sports stadium located?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2019, 2:50 pm Let’s bite the bullet. Build it smack bang on top of Commonwealth Park. Create some more manicured gardens and ponds and stuff and a site for Floriade a bit further up, along the lake.

I’ll tell you where there is a fair bit of space - up around Jerrabomberra wetlands. Very short walk from Kingston Foreshore, a cheap Uber from the City and fairly central. Probably not smack bang on some endangered spotted turtle swamp land but around the causeway or over near the Capital brewery. There is miles of space around there close to stuff.
I know where has space,.. Cooma

Build it there

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So dumb. The cynic in me thinks that Barr doesn't want it to be as successful as it could be. It needs to be in the city. It is such a no-brainer.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: October 17, 2019, 4:57 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

I know where has space,.. Cooma

Build it there

That’s just silly TW - Cooma is too cold!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Civic still preferred stadium option for Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders believe Civic is still the best place to build a new Canberra Stadium.

"[Building at Exhibition Park] wouldn't be ideal at all. It'd be similar to Bruce - it would be too far away," Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Civic still preferred stadium option for Canberra Raiders

Post by reptar »

What's here? Legless lizards?Image
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

ANU north oval

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So we are all in agreement? Cooma?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: October 17, 2019, 8:02 pm ANU north oval

Pretty hard to build a major stadium there... over the top of a creek... not sure about the alignment.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Molonglo, near the wetlands?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s either Civic or stay at Bruce. These other areas don’t resolve the existing problems of the Bruce location.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: October 18, 2019, 10:37 am It’s either Civic or stay at Bruce. These other areas don’t resolve the existing problems of the Bruce location.
but EPIC has the tram?!?!? :lol:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Matt wrote:
BJ wrote: October 18, 2019, 10:37 am It’s either Civic or stay at Bruce. These other areas don’t resolve the existing problems of the Bruce location.
but EPIC has the tram?!?!? Image
EPIC brah!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Matt wrote:
A tram without the capacity to move a stadium crowd.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EPIC is difficult to get to from much of Canberra and Queanbeyan. Bruce would be better than EPIC. Civic would be far superior to both of them. This is deflection, so that when it is rebuilt at Bruce, the punters are satisfied that it wasn't built at EPIC rather than angry that it wasn't built in Civic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

EPIC stadium a bad idea: Opposition

The opposition says building a new stadium at Exhibition Park, instead of the city or Bruce, would make no sense and miss an opportunity to revitalise Civic.

"For a long time we've been told that one of the problems with the stadium at Bruce is that it's not in the city and it's not activating an area.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: October 18, 2019, 2:02 pm
Matt wrote:
Think he was being sarcastic
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
BJ wrote: October 18, 2019, 2:02 pm
Matt wrote:
Think he was being sarcastic
I’m too slow.

Slower than a Tuggeranong Bus.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2019, 2:08 pm EPIC is difficult to get to from much of Canberra and Queanbeyan. Bruce would be better than EPIC. Civic would be far superior to both of them. This is deflection, so that when it is rebuilt at Bruce, the punters are satisfied that it wasn't built at EPIC rather than angry that it wasn't built in Civic.
EPIC would have been great when I lived in Watson...

Now it's just garbage.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Why does the Civic site need to be East-West? Just do this:

That's Bankwest stadium at the same zoom level. Doesn't even look like Parkes Way needs to be moved.

All that extra space closer to the roundabout could be the precinct, and the open-air CIT carpark on the other side of Coranderk St could become a parking structure. If Calvary hospital is deserving of a 5-level carpark, they could easily match or exceed that for this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sterlk wrote: October 19, 2019, 7:27 am Why does the Civic site need to be East-West? Just do this:

That's Bankwest stadium at the same zoom level. Doesn't even look like Parkes Way needs to be moved.

All that extra space closer to the roundabout could be the precinct, and the open-air CIT carpark on the other side of Coranderk St could become a parking structure. If Calvary hospital is deserving of a 5-level carpark, they could easily match or exceed that for this.
Can you do it again while aligning it in the traditional north-south fashion? Ie the sidelines are east and west?

Good fields need to be aligned that way for the best spectator experience. And it seems that if it is indoor... it needs to be that way if the grass is to grow properly.
Heisenberg
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Heisenberg »

Nicely done Sterlk. It’s a buzz even seeing that!

I’d imagine they’d want a plaza on the side you’ve placed the stadium and the actual stadium closer to Coranderk St?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If they could take over that block between London Circuit and Allara St... and close that part of Allara St... problem solved!

BTW... I’d be happy to have no roof... so long as it was a roof like Western Sydney... just add heating! Or a roof that opens and closes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the issue with the site... this map view is aligned so north is at the top... west at the left. You would want your western sideline running from the top to bottom of the map.

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

To be fair, the zoom on Google maps isn't the most accurate thing in the world. I just tried to do it again and somehow the stadium is like 20% bigger, which would indeed require Parkes Way to be moved.

It's not as though that's as big a deal as everybody is making out, though - you wouldn't even need to close the road. There's a giant, honking median strip in the middle:

Building a few hundred metres of road would certainly be a hell of a lot cheaper than the government repossessing the land to Allara St and demolishing a bunch of buildings.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

greeneyed wrote: October 19, 2019, 8:10 am This is the issue with the site... this map view is aligned so north is at the top... west at the left. You would want your western sideline running from the top to bottom of the map.
Yes, but you'll hard-pressed to find too many stadiums that are perfect North-South - you have to make concessions to the orientation of the site.

The way I placed the Civic stadium in the image above is roughly equivalent to the current stadium in Bruce:

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This shows why my idea of building it in Commonwealth Park is the best idea... by far! Put it in the top, left corner. It doesn’t even disturb a lot of the actual manicured parkland.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Image

This shows why my idea of building it in Commonwealth Park is the best idea... by far! Put it in the top, left corner. It doesn’t even disturb a lot of the actual manicured parkland.

There or Glebe park would be far better options than Epic or Bruce. Like I said earlier, it's a no-brainer. Imagine 20,000 spectators going into the city for pre/post-game drinks or food - would be a massive boost for local businesses and the economy. That many people moving between the public transport hub and the stadium would be great for business in that corridor.

For a govt that looks specifically at this sort of stuff (benefits to the economy) when attempting to justify the money spent on GWS, it is absurd that they would ignore it for 3 other teams that are genuine Canberra teams - and also the potential of a 4th team (A-league) who would no doubt have a stronger 'bid' position with this stadium in the city.

Epic.... I would be absolutely livid if that were to go ahead.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2019, 2:08 pm EPIC is difficult to get to from much of Canberra and Queanbeyan. Bruce would be better than EPIC. Civic would be far superior to both of them. This is deflection, so that when it is rebuilt at Bruce, the punters are satisfied that it wasn't built at EPIC rather than angry that it wasn't built in Civic.

Now it's just garbage.
EPIC was epic. Now it's Meh-pic
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:

Now it's just garbage.
EPIC was epic. Now it's Meh-pic
Get off the stage!!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sterlk wrote:To be fair, the zoom on Google maps isn't the most accurate thing in the world. I just tried to do it again and somehow the stadium is like 20% bigger, which would indeed require Parkes Way to be moved.

It's not as though that's as big a deal as everybody is making out, though - you wouldn't even need to close the road. There's a giant, honking median strip in the middle:

Building a few hundred metres of road would certainly be a hell of a lot cheaper than the government repossessing the land to Allara St and demolishing a bunch of buildings.
Would it make enough room? If so, it really is baffling why it hasn't been proposed.

Edit: looks like it might be a metre or two short. It would need either a realignment of Parkes Way into Commonwealth Park, or a realignment of Constitution Ave
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not enough room at Glebe Park

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:Not enough room at Glebe Park

I thought it was a bigger site than civic pool area?