10%

Total votes: 10

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2018 Rd 12 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -PJ- »

Papa back on the edge..

Lui gets a well earned start..he's been good.

Sia to lock..same same from him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And Sezer again.

He might be up for this !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Re: 2018 Rd 12 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews

Post by Green Taipan »

I see that Ricky has given this week's team selection the usual rigorous assessment and come up with the same side that continually loses to any half-competent opposition. The definition of insanity is ..... I'll probably drag myself away from Fri drinks at the Belco Labor Club but only out of loyalty to the core of players who give it all every week. It's also fascinating to see live how the team manages to find new ways to lose each week!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The absolute best news out of this team is Guler is in the top 30. Great news as he will be key next year and can play a role this year.

Also Schif is blowing the big horn and he is Papas manager. I'd say if a deal is done it will be over this weekend while he is in town. If it isn't done by friday he should lose horn blowing privileges.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I see that Ricky has given this week's team selection the usual rigorous assessment and came up with the same side that continually loses to any half-competent opposition. The definition of insanity is ..... I'll probably drag myself away from Fri drinks at the Belco Labor Club but only out of loyalty to the core of players who give it all every week. It's also fascinating to see live how the team manages to find new ways to lose each week!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

**** i'd love to beat Manly, not just as payback for Round 4 but just because....**** i'd love to beat Manly!

Not sure about Papa back to the edge but I thought that would be how he'd go. Makes me even more annoyed with Tapine for that stupidity, if Boyd was on the bench instead we'd be a good chance at really busting them open in that middle period with Boyd and Gubb. Not to be.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

This is getting ridiculous
Perth Based Raiders Fan
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 12 V Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

Lets just pencil the loss in now. We will then need 11 wins from 13 games after this to make the top 8.

No idea how Sezer gets a start after the last couple of game’s. I’m not a fan of Williams, but Sezer should have been dropped to reserve grade.
Last edited by LastRaider on May 22, 2018, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

edwahu wrote: May 22, 2018, 4:18 pm The absolute best news out of this team is Guler is in the top 30. Great news as he will be key next year and can play a role this year.

Also Schif is blowing the big horn and he is Papas manager. I'd say if a deal is done it will be over this weekend while he is in town. If it isn't done by friday he should lose horn blowing privileges.
Completely agree !!
Guler is a awesome prospect for the future, hopefully he can get some first grade minutes under his belt before the seasons out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola emerges as Canberra Raiders' prop prototype

Sia Soliola has defied his status as the oldest player on Canberra's books to emerge as the prototype for the modern day front-rower.

"It’s definitely one of those things, especially in the position I’m at, with my age and the experience I have it just naturally goes that way," Soliola said. "Whatever happens I’m going to be here helping the boys out as much as I can. Especially over the last couple of years, we have definitely gained a lot of experience with a lot of the playing group.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgpb.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Joe Tapine banned for two games

Ricky Stuart won't ask fiery back-rower Joe Tapine to tone down his aggressive style but concedes his suspension will put "a lot of pressure" on his teammates.

"Joey plays very close to the edge all the time and it’s always high risk," Stuart said. "It’s what we love about Joey, because he is such a very aggressive player and that’s a big part of his make-up, it’s a big part of his game. It’s important that we don’t cross the line too much."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgp9.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' silent achiever Dunamis Lui earns start

Dunamis Lui has been the silent achiever for the Canberra Raiders this season and now he has a chance to put his name up in lights.

"[Lui] has been playing really well for us actually. It’s probably understated what a good job he has been doing for us, and it will be a good opportunity for him to step up and hopefully make an impact," Luke Bateman said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgpx.html
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Cool.

Jesus wept, I just don’t know anymore.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

yurithe1 wrote: May 22, 2018, 9:54 am Reading the Canberra Times article at https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgk0.html, Tapine mentions that the reason they lose focus is "I don’t really know [what the problem is], I think it’s a bit of fatigue and miscommunication in the game. It just lets us down a bit."

Maybe if Ricky used the bench more effectively than simply going by the clock to rotate his props and actually had someone monitoring fatigue levels, we might see some close games going our way.

For that matter, what's the point of him sitting on the sideline and having a runner if he doesn't get him out on the field to say, "we're down a man, the scores are tied, take the field goal"? IIRC, Ricky says it helps him get a better feel for the game and the players enjoy seeing there.

Mate, if that's the feel for the game you're getting, volunteer to be the goal kicking tee this week. You sure as **** aren't picking up enough from where you are sitting now if you can't see someone as big as Papalii needs a rest.
As far as our trainer goes, I’m a big believer in having someone who:
1) the players respect and has authority
and
2) is smart and can read a game and offer/direct advice when needed.

Brett White while I’m sure the players respect him, most of them were previous teammates who still see him as a mate. And all due respect his primary role was anything but game management or been smart.

Follow some leads of other teams who have the likes the Allan Langers and Stacey Jones running the water and barking orders.

We would have heaps of choices but ones of the top of my head could be either Wiki or Jason Croker. Players would be **** scared not to listen to these guys

In all honesty I’d be happy with Stuart been our runner and barking orders -
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola keen to stay with Canberra Raiders

Junior Paulo and Shannon Boyd might be leaving Canberra but fellow star forward Sia Soliola is determined to stay.

"This club's been a great club to me and I'd like to repay them as much as I can," Soliola said on Tuesday. "It's one of those things my manager and the club will work towards and hopefully we can get a good agreement and move on from it."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/05/22/16/ ... ra-raiders
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

-PJ- wrote: May 22, 2018, 4:05 pm Papa back on the edge..

Lui gets a well earned start..he's been good.

Sia to lock..same same from him.
Yay hopefully Lui doesn't let in any soft tries this week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric could pass Daley's mark

BOOM teenager Nick Cotric can surpass Canberra Raiders legend Laurie Daley as the club’s youngest-ever player to be selected for NSW.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c754444d75
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

whilst I'm keen to see Guler get a go I don't think manly is a pack I'd chuck him in against, the chances of Tapau, Fonua Blake or Joel Thompson whacking him legally or otherwise is not going to help his development.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2018, 6:35 pm Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric could pass Daley's mark

BOOM teenager Nick Cotric can surpass Canberra Raiders legend Laurie Daley as the club’s youngest-ever player to be selected for NSW.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c754444d75
I didn't think Cotric was having a great year a few weeks back. He has come back very strongly the past three weeks though. The errors are down and he is looking much more threatening.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah he turned it around quite well.
Has started running straighter too.
Hugh Myron
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by Hugh Myron »

Long time lurker and only posted a couple of times here,

I wanted to be accepting of hingano and see what he offered us and was excited about the prospect of him at first, yet every single game he just offers nothing,

Know it’s been said here before numerous times, but every game I’ve seen garvey play he’s showed spark and promise, hope he can get a run soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Hugh Myron wrote: May 23, 2018, 2:01 pm Long time lurker and only posted a couple of times here,

I wanted to be accepting of hingano and see what he offered us and was excited about the prospect of him at first, yet every single game he just offers nothing,

Know it’s been said here before numerous times, but every game I’ve seen garvey play he’s showed spark and promise, hope he can get a run soon

You're not Robinson Crusoe as far as Hingano and Garvey are concerned. The only plausible reason I can come up with for Hingano getting named on the bench each week is that he can cover the halves if they get injured. Then again, so can Whitehead.

Hingano's service from dummy half isn't as bad as Travis Waddel's was (he was more suited to being a Union halfback). However, he offers nothing in attack. His one attempt to do something on the weekend was a short kick through the line when putting through the hands was the correct option.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Hugh Myron
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by Hugh Myron »

yurithe1 wrote:
Hugh Myron wrote: May 23, 2018, 2:01 pm Long time lurker and only posted a couple of times here,

You're not Robinson Crusoe as far as Hingano and Garvey are concerned. The only plausible reason I can come up with for Hingano getting named on the bench each week is that he can cover the halves if they get injured. Then again, so can Whitehead.

Hingano's service from dummy half isn't as bad as Travis Waddel's was (he was more suited to being a Union halfback). However, he offers nothing in attack. His one attempt to do something on the weekend was a short kick through the line when putting through the hands was the correct option.
Completely agree with you there, from what I’ve seen of Hingano at Mounties level playing in the halves he actually looks good, hopefully if sticky persists with him he can find some form and create some magic haha.

Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

edwahu wrote:The absolute best news out of this team is Guler is in the top 30. Great news as he will be key next year and can play a role this year.

Schif on the horn?

Get him to throw the boots on and play FB. Wighton to centre and beej into the 2nd row.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola wants to lead Canberra Raiders pack into the future

Raiders forward Sia Soliola is without a home next season but he has put his hand up to be the veteran leader of the club's forward pack if they are forced to add youth over experience in 2019.

"We've definitely gained a lot of experience and with the forwards we have a lot of the guys that are coming through have gained a lot of knowledge from the guys we have," Soliola said. "Charlie Gubb made his debut at starting front row (last weekend) and Liam Knight is always knocking on the door.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... he-future/

Video: Soliola: Tapine has been one of our best, he's a big loss: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... -big-loss/

Video: Bateman fired up for Friday's clash: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... ays-clash/

Video: Out and about: Indigenous Round highlights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... ighlights/

Local women to play at GIO Stadium this Friday: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... is-friday/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dunamis Lui looks to run-on debut to lock in Canberra Raiders contract extension

Prop Dunamis Lui admits his first start for the Canberra Raiders could be a big chance to establish himself in the nation's capital as he gets closer to agreeing to a new deal.

"It's going to be a massive challenge for myself, but I'm just happy to be in the team. With 'Taps' being out I'm pushed into the starting line up," he said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity, but it's a massive job for whoever's in there to start the game well. It's going to be a really good challenge.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgxz.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All-Stars v Forever Green

This week's halftime entertainment is set to feature almost 1000 games of NRL experience, when the ActewAGL All-Stars take on the Raiders Forever Green team in a touch football match to raise money for match day charity PCYC.

ActewAGL All Stars

Jason Croker
Charlie Woolford
Lilly Croker
Alan Tongue
Carly Wilson
Paul Walshe

Forever Green

Ruben Wiki
David Howell
Wayne Stonham
Adrian Purtell
Jasmine Tooth (Tarsha Gale Cup player)
Zoe Podmore (Tarsha Gale Cup player)

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... ver-green/
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Watch those hamstrings!
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

MOM.... Ruben Wiki
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The sliding door moment the 'Josh Hodgson rule' would've prevented

The NRL is set to introduce salary cap relief for players injured while playing representative football, with the NRL stating on Tuesday up to $350,000 in relief would be afforded to clubs for players who miss at least 12 weeks due to an injury.

"After the Hodgson stuff they've changed that rule ... it's a good rule because you are disadvantaged," Raiders CEO Don Furner said on Wednesday. "Unfortunately, it's not retrospective, so we're a bit unlucky there, but I think Hodgo's injury highlighted how hard it is for clubs.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgzg.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Be fascinating to see how the Broncos and Roosters rort this new rule.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like we’ve missed a Leeson Au Mau, close to re-signing Sezer for two years, Havili two to three year deal, Ryan Sutton a three year deal.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2018, 7:51 pm Looks like we’ve missed a Leeson Au Mau, close to re-signing Sezer for two years, Havili two to three year deal, Ryan Sutton a three year deal.
Shame we missed out on Au Mau but at least they put an offer forward. Starting props of Au Mau and Papalii would have been solid.
I think 2 years is a good idea if we're re-signing Sezer. No way you'd be able to get him to sign a 1 year deal and you definitely don't want to be locked in for 3 years.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2018, 7:45 pm The sliding door moment the 'Josh Hodgson rule' would've prevented

The NRL is set to introduce salary cap relief for players injured while playing representative football, with the NRL stating on Tuesday up to $350,000 in relief would be afforded to clubs for players who miss at least 12 weeks due to an injury.

"After the Hodgson stuff they've changed that rule ... it's a good rule because you are disadvantaged," Raiders CEO Don Furner said on Wednesday. "Unfortunately, it's not retrospective, so we're a bit unlucky there, but I think Hodgo's injury highlighted how hard it is for clubs.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zgzg.html
Good move by the League and well done to DFJ for supporting it. Other than Origin there are to be more Test matches played. Samoa V Tonga coming up and that game being taken to the USA. We will likely have players in both of these matches. Should anything happen it is at least possible to look for players and not bust the cap.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker speaks about the clash with the Sea Eagles

Captain Jarrod Croker addressed the media this morning at GIO Stadium as the team prepares for tomorrow's crucial clash against the Sea Eagles.

"The team are good, we've had a short week although we have recovered really well and we're all really excited," Croker said. "This week is a massive game with the bye going into next week so we need to put in a good performance."

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... inal-word/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Sea Eagles: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... ea-eagles/

Video: Preview: Raiders v Sea Eagles - Round 12: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... -round-12/

Gallery: Rd 12 Captain's Run: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... tains-run/