Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner calls for new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says the capital needs a new stadium in the city.

"The city is a very modern city and it’s got some great facilities, but Townsville are getting one soon, Parramatta is even going to get one, every major city will have a better stadium than us. There is a big push to have stadia back in the city where there is already key infrastructure for transport and parking. Most cities around Australia are doing that, and it would be fantastic if somebody could come up with a financial model that allows that to happen."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zf44.html
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner calls for new Canberra Stadium

Post by Bay53 »

It quite simply has to happen over the next 10 years or we will be miles behind the rest of the competition.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Bay53 wrote:It quite simply has to happen over the next 10 years or we will be miles behind the rest of the competition.
Sooner I'd say...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Definitely needed, but I don’t think it passes the pub test in Canberra. Budget spend in Canberra is all about schools, hospitals and maintaining gov. Jobs unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Doesn’t help that the Brumbies are fading away to irrelevance and that there’s no A-League bid of any note.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Donny should be putting more effort into addressing the disgraceful state of the onfield performances rather than such trivialities.
This place is woke.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Brumbies could be gone in 5 years and the Raiders are the least successful side of the modern era. Not much of a business case.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Unless it comes with a roof and beach, no one will go.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I want a new stadium... but has anyone visited Brookvale Oval, Shark Park, Leichhardt Oval, Kogarah Jubilee Oval, Belmore Oval, Campbelltown Stadium, Penrith Stadium, Wollongong Stadium, Townsville Stadium lately? Realistically, Canberra Stadium is clearly better or at least no worse than any of those grounds. I personally think the comfort of the stadium is not a whole lot worse than a newer stadium like Robina or Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. There's going to be a few stadiums well in front... Lang Park, the completely rebuilt SFS and Parramatta Stadium... maybe Townsville, but even their new stadium isn't an all seater stadium. I'll reserve judgement on Sydney Olympic Park until I see what they do to "refurbish" it... though realistically it is superior to Canberra Stadium, even in it's current state... apart from the face the grandstands are too far from the sidelines.

So, I'd like to see something done... but I'm not sure there's a burning platform, that's the problem.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As much as I love this club and would love us to play in a state of the art stadium I think the govt has bigger priorities, like fixing the debacle of an ACT health system

Unless a private consortium gets involved, I don't think a brand new stadium will be considered in the next decade
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:37 pm As much as I love this club and would love us to play in a state of the art stadium I think the govt has bigger priorities, like fixing the debacle of an ACT health system

Unless a private consortium gets involved, I don't think a brand new stadium will be considered in the next decade
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner calls for new Canberra Stadium

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says the capital needs a new stadium in the city.

"The city is a very modern city and it’s got some great facilities, but Townsville are getting one soon, Parramatta is even going to get one, every major city will have a better stadium than us. There is a big push to have stadia back in the city where there is already key infrastructure for transport and parking. Most cities around Australia are doing that, and it would be fantastic if somebody could come up with a financial model that allows that to happen."

Fill the current one to capacity first EDIT.

Nothing wrong with Bruce "GIO" Stadium.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GE has it right, there is no appetite to do this anytime soon

firstly the stadium isnt derelict.
It's not great but as GE rightly points out, it's better than at least a few others.

Secondly some other poster (i cant be **** scrolling) rightly pointed out, the Brumbies, and Rugby union in general is on the cusp of NBL territory. And rightly so. Absolute **** of a sport. And the Aleague looks dead and burried, both as an ACT entity and as a sleeping giant. The sooner people understand domestic soccer in this country isnt a sleeping giant, it's just a **** domestic sport that doesnt capture the interest of the general public. We all love the socceroo's but otherwise, meh. Soccer's ceiling is being the #3 sport, taking over RU and well behind RL and AFL. Come at me "He told us so" Johnny Warren Bro's. You know it's true deep in your heart.

Why would the ACT GOV shell out for a stadium for one tenant, and one who struggles to get solid turn out as is?

The best hope is that Australia bribe their way into WC hosting and CS gets a major upgrade as a result of that. Short of that, i think a new stadium is a pipe dream given the other issues in the territory and im not sure i disagree with that. We have bigger fish to fry.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

If 'football' is ever to be the dominant sport in Australia we need to basically give humanitarian visas to the entire populations of Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Until then it is, and always will be, an also ran.

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Even if we did that, half of them would just carve our a comfortable career being a good a-league player and never develop. I have a super sneaky hot take that the A-League being a super ****, barely relevant league is hurting the socceroos

the a-league is just good enough for a player to earn a very nice living and be a minor celebrity, i think for player development it'd be better to send anyone with an ounce of talent OS ASAP, so they can actually get developed by people who know what they are doing

A ****, low quality domestic league is a sedative for the "sleeping giant"
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pigman wrote:Even if we did that, half of them would just carve our a comfortable career being a good a-league player and never develop. I have a super sneaky hot take that the A-League being a super ****, barely relevant league is hurting the socceroos

the a-league is just good enough for a player to earn a very nice living and be a minor celebrity, i think for player development it'd be better to send anyone with an ounce of talent OS ASAP, so they can actually get developed by people who know what they are doing

It's why 3/4 of the team plays in Europe, the aleague is a piss take, where big names come for one last massive pay day ala Matt Orford at the Raiders
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah but i think they go over too late, the major development to reach elite level happens 17-20, they're being managed at that point by the mariners or blues or who ever

Anyone who can kick a ball with both feet should be shipped OS at the age of 15 before any of our local idiots get their paw on them

I dont think there is any chance Neil, Cahill, Kewell, Vidka, Swargoalkeeper or any of our legitimate studs end up the players they become if the option of a really good earning via a **** domestic league. Cahill just ends up being a Archie **** Thompson or something if he came through in this set up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:05 pm GE has it right, there is no appetite to do this anytime soon

firstly the stadium isnt derelict.
It's not great but as GE rightly points out, it's better than at least a few others.
I've been to almost all the stadiums now. The bottom line is that Canberra Stadium has spectator comfort that is in advance of MOST of the other stadiums. I would love a brand spanking new stadium. I think Canberra should have one and we should be able to afford it. We should get ahead of the curve and get a new one. I do think that if we don't act now, in 10 years we will be well behind. But I can understand why there's reluctance to move too fast. Newcastle, Wollongong, Townsville... all are or will be (even after redevelopment) non all seater stadiums. Every ground in Sydney apart from the SFS, Olympic Stadium and Parramatta Stadium are non all seater stadiums. Canberra Stadium is better than Mt Smart in Auckland.

On my reckoning these stadiums are superior:

Lang Park
Sydney Olympic Stadium
Sydney Football Stadium
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

We will probably see...

Parramatta Stadium added to that list once built.

I'm not convinced the new Townsville Stadium will be.

Robina is probably equivalent, even though it is newer. Same with Central Coast Stadium. Newcastle is no better. Wollongong is no better.

So that's the issue. We would like a competitive advantage, I hope we get it. But it'll take a bit longer I suspect.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Robina is a far better stadium than Canberra Stadium
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

New stadium wont' help if we continue to be a daft AF rugby league side that takes stupid 5th tackle options and get 4 repeat sets a year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:54 pm Robina is a far better stadium than Canberra Stadium
Have been to both... can't agree.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Love soccer and wish we had an a-league team but the afl-centric govt will never help. I reckon Bruce is rubbish for sightlines but not that uncomfortable, parking is easy and food is ok. Don't want a roof because we need every frozen home ground advantage we can get.

That said something our idiot govt never remember is you can't host a world cup soccer game without 40 thousand seats. So that won't be happening unless we have a comfy indoor stadium that fits 38 thousand happy Raiders or Brumbies fans. And still wouldn't happen anyway given, well, reality. And since there aren't more that 8 thousand Brumbies fans (no argument entered into) Raiders are the only viable tenant. No wonder Barr pours money into his tram instead.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:54 pm Robina is a far better stadium than Canberra Stadium
Have been to both... can't agree.
Robbina is better than Canberra Stadium. It's equal to CS in one factor and that's location. It much like CS is in a rubbish location.

Yes it is better than most sydney grounds. I feel Townsville will be better. Not sure why one factor of superior stadiums is that it has to be an all seater. The are a number of stadiums with areas of grass that I think are amazing.

And if there is a group putting this forward I think it could get up. No idea why GWS could get a developer interested in Manuka but the a Raiders/Brumbies/ACT Gov can't get the same sort of plan together.... it's the naming rights all over again.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't know of any professional stadium in the world that has a "hill" and "grass". The idea of grass and hills signifies a local yokel competition. And unfortunately, that is the vision of many in NRL circles.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Would be too hard to convert a league ground into a cricket ground and try and entice a big bash team to form in Canberra to help push for a new stadium?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'd love to see a new start of the art stadium in Canberra.

But what I'd love more is a new start of the art footy side.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Robina is better than CS IMO.

All suburban Sydney grounds are relics in need of a total makeover.

The fans in Sydney love the old grounds because of nostalgia, and the tribalism.

14000 at WIN, Brookvale, Leichardt, Kogarah looks and sounds amazing, you're closer to the action and it's more enjoyable than going to Homebush, sitting in a 80000 seat stadium that's mostly empty and lacking atmosphere.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Besides, our playing surface is unquestionably the best in the competition.

I also disagree with the description of Canberra Stadium as "derelict". Furner wants to see derelict? He should come visit the rink at Phillip some time. At least the people who are looking after CS give a **** about it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

In what was is CS better than Robina GE. Robina is closer to the action, has better sight lines isn't a wind tunnel and has better facilities.
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Personally I love Wollongong Stadium. Great to watch footy on the hill, ocean backdrop and great location. And only a short walk to the magnificent Glasshouse.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 15, 2018, 8:38 am In what was is CS better than Robina GE. Robina is closer to the action, has better sight lines isn't a wind tunnel and has better facilities.
I think the walk from the train is a bit annoying, and the sun absolutely roasts you on one side, but all that is bloody trivial if I'm being honest.

Robina is superior to CS in almost every way. Undeniable.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

One of Donny's biggest problems between the new stadium and the Raiders HP and Community facility at Braddon is we're not a marginal electorate. It's either a private consortium or the broke ACT Govt that we need to push these things over the line, and even a lot of federal govt sports infrastructure funding requires co-contributions from the Govt by the state of territory Govt these days. Take Townsville for example, they got $100m in federal funding for that one but that was because prior to the last election Labor promised $100m for it so the Libs made the same promise as that electorate was a major battleground. As per my comment above, the QLD Govt is putting in $140m to see it through.

If you have a look at a lot of the stadiums and suburban grounds around the league, and high performance centres for NRL clubs, the federal govt has contributed to virtually every single club, some of them multiple times. Anyone want to have a quick guess which club has missed the boat each time despite making submissions to the correct authorities? There is nothing in it for the Government of the day giving anything to Canberra when they have battlegrounds elsewhere, and ironcially if you look at the electorate Queanbeyan is in (Eden-Monaro) that place is awash with money being the traditional bellwether seat! We probably have a better chance of getting a new stadium on that site considering in recent years Federal funding for upgrades to Seiffert have been received through both the Community Development Grants Fund and the Stronger Communities Fund! :lol:

On another note, Lui_Bon was right, even hosting a World Cup won't help us because for the group matches you need all stadiums to be 40,000 minimum capacity.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:27 pm Even if we did that, half of them would just carve our a comfortable career being a good a-league player and never develop. I have a super sneaky hot take that the A-League being a super ****, barely relevant league is hurting the socceroos

I've been through this with you before Pigman, you've missed the point of what it is.

No one...NO ONE is delusional enough to say it is a top league. It isn't. The amount of money in the game means that anyone with any real ability at all is off overseas where you can forge a proper career, make a stack and then get a job with SBS for life :D . It exists to be a stepping stone to an overseas career, and because each state and territory has high participation at all levels (look up ACT mens comps if you want an example) so you need some domestic product to aspire to. You can't have the NSW Premier League in Sydney as the pinnacle of the sport in the country, even you'd have to admit it's a bigger sport than that in Australia.

A big thing killing the domestic product is not so much that it's complete trash, it's that the top leagues are full of all the superstars and the access to those games is available 24/7. I recall a good mate's Father telling me that back in the 70's and 80's in Canberra, Monaro vs Canberra City in the ACT 1st grade comp used to pull 30,000 people to watch it! I asked him what he thought the difference was nowadays and he said back then, all you got on TV was the FA Cup Final every May at midnight and a few World Cup games every 4 years. So if you liked the game you went out and watched it, now that's been completely obliterated.

The A League might be hurting the Socceroos, you could argue points for and against, but if you look at our players doing well in say the UK region - Mooy, Ryan, Jedinak (to an extent), in Scotland - Rogic, McLaren - these are all blokes that were playing A League and got picked up through that method. You have others sprinkled throughout Europe who went through that pathway as well. So the purpose is served to a point. Where I would agree with you would be that back when the NSL was it, players went overseas and had to fight tooth and nail to have a career over there to make a living, and if they failed they came back to a gig in the NSL that wouldn't even afford you a salary without getting a part-time job on the side. Now the players failing overseas can use the A League as a safety net somewhat.

Overall though, talking about the actual topic i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the topic at hand. A Canberra A League franchise would be a fail. Whilst the sport is popular in Canberra I used to have a season ticket to the Cosmos and I recognise in my heart of hearts you'd get 3 games of novelty that we have a team, and then 2,000 people out there every week like we used to get.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The only two issues I have with Bruce Stadium are:

1. that spectators in the grandstands are so far away from the action (it’s an atmosphere killer and reduces the live viewing experience)

2. it tunnels cold wind around the stadium (except for the Meninga and high in the eastern stand). This makes it a poor and cold experience for the interested observer fan (but not the hard core fan).

A Civic covered stadium has to happen at some point, but the ACT government has chosen other priorities.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Sossman wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:51 pm
greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner calls for new Canberra Stadium

Fill the current one to capacity first EDIT.

Nothing wrong with Bruce "GIO" Stadium.

What now?

Nothing wrong with Bruce Stadium? Oh my hat.