Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner calls for new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner calls for new Canberra Stadium

Post by -TW- »

Other than the entire structure being ****..
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Stadium in civic would be good but at the same time I like being a drunken stumble away from our home ground so therefore it should stay in Bruce.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Where does the idiot thinks the money will come from?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Question wrote: May 14, 2018, 6:34 pm Donny should be putting more effort into addressing the disgraceful state of the onfield performances rather than such trivialities.
Agree Q. DFJ can't talk about FG footy or coaching or much else Raiders so let's bring out the shiny bauble. He did it on the day the FG squad was named. Nothing to see here.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Parra's new stadium is going to the best in the country. I can't wait for it. Only a short drive from me too.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

A new stadium with a roof in Civic could have the flexibility to host AFL and international cricket as part of an evolving plan to transform the city centre with a sports venue, convention centre and hotel.

Canberra Airport chief executive Stephen Byron has backed the vision to reinvigorate the city landscape to help sell the capital to domestic and international travellers.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...b ... 4zg2y.html

'Super Stadium' nonsense again. I find it shocking how Barr keeps trying to find money for oval-field sports when the cities only two full-time teams both play rugby codes.

Manuka is absolutely fine for the odd cricket international, potential BBL side (in any case - I will bet a large sum of money that the first two places that it expands to will be Geelong and the GC) and the handful of games the Giants play there. There is virtually zero chance of Canberra getting its own full-time AFL team any time in the next 25 years.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Schifty wrote: May 15, 2018, 3:33 pm Stadium in civic would be good but at the same time I like being a drunken stumble away from our home ground so therefore it should stay in Bruce.
You'll be able to get the tram home!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

So harsh on the A-League. I think some people are stuck into this "EPL/Europe level or the highway" attitude in which they think anything below that level is beneath their dignity.

If you watch the A-League properly without writing it off you can see that, even if it is slow, year on year it is always trending upwards in terms of quality. In the first years of the competition 15 years ago you would get legit 40-year old has beens such as Romario who were literally here for a holiday. It cheapened the competition. These blokes wouldn't cut it here today.

The irony is many Australians I think would watch Championship football, even though I believe A-League teams would be able to compete in that comp. For example, I support Leeds United (the Raiders of English football) and I doubt we would be able to beat Sydney FC this year.
Up The Milk
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

The few times I've driven down to Canberra in the past few years, I've actually really liked the stadium.

What is it you guys dislike about it?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

nacho wrote: May 21, 2018, 4:10 pm The few times I've driven down to Canberra in the past few years, I've actually really liked the stadium.

It is the coldest place on earth in the middle of winter. Absolute wind tunnel of hell. It’s ok for an able bodied young lad but for a family or elderly person it is just straight up uncomfortable.
Up The Milk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Can’t believe their now pushing for an Aussie Rules Oval/ adjustable Rectangular Stadium. These compromises on stadium design never ever work for Rugby/Soccer as you sit miles from the action and the atmosphere is crap.

What a waste of money that would be. Just build a proper rectangular covered stadium in the city when voters and politicians think we have the money and the priority.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 21, 2018, 4:19 pm
nacho wrote: May 21, 2018, 4:10 pm The few times I've driven down to Canberra in the past few years, I've actually really liked the stadium.

It is the coldest place on earth in the middle of winter. Absolute wind tunnel of hell. It’s ok for an able bodied young lad but for a family or elderly person it is just straight up uncomfortable.
Ah yes ok that makes sense. To be fair I just hung out in the members bar looking out the window the entire time heh <3
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

greeneyed wrote: May 14, 2018, 11:55 pm I don't know of any professional stadium in the world that has a "hill" and "grass". The idea of grass and hills signifies a local yokel competition. And unfortunately, that is the vision of many in NRL circles.
I have to say that the Adelaide Oval would be exception there. That's an excellent venue. Though I can't argue for the residents of Adelaide not being yokels, that's for sure.