Is Croker the right captain for the team

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Beejay »

I think we should change to a new Captain. Someone like Cameron Smith or Cooper Cronk would be good. K thx bye
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Croker came up with a few try saving efforts and was rucking it out of our line for the tired forwards after taking a smashing earlier on. Nailing conversions from the sideline. What more do you need for inspiration?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

zim wrote:Croker came up with a few try saving efforts and was rucking it out of our line for the tired forwards after taking a smashing earlier on. Nailing conversions from the sideline. What more do you need for inspiration?
Well the team didn’t go with him. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2018, 11:38 am
zim wrote:Croker came up with a few try saving efforts and was rucking it out of our line for the tired forwards after taking a smashing earlier on. Nailing conversions from the sideline. What more do you need for inspiration?

:roflmao
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2018, 11:38 am
If you're at a point where you agree that he couldn't do any more to inspire them, at what point do you look at a player for their own poor performance?

Nothing Croker does is going to make Sezer not kick it out on the full or drop a simple offload.
Nothing Croker does is going to stop Boyd from the occasional lay down in the play the ball.

Those things are on those players to be able to execute their job properly. Simplify your game to make sure you finish the set. Give away a penalty if you've been beaten all ends up in a tackle and left with no markers.

Swapping any player in as captain does nothing to stop those issues.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If a player goes poorly because of who the team captain is then problem is not the captain.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

We need a James Grahame type player.

Croker SHOULD remain captain and will end up getting respect when he hits 30 odd and has every record at the Raiders.
I like the boy and he represents the club well as being a decent bloke who loves the green jumper.

We just need more leadership in the club - Soliola doesn't give it in spades on the field, regardless of how much the media want to spruik him as being the 'inspiration'.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Well I'll give this topic the credit it deserves and go straight to Godwin's law.

The captain doesn't matter if the coach doesn't allow the players any freedom anyway. Which we can only assume that's what Stuart does, how else would he be able to kill players talents so effectively?

It's like the Nazi's in WW2, they were on the front foot to win the whole thing (unfortunately), but then the coach (Hitler) came in and started telling them to not play their natural game and focused on the wrong areas (Russia, securing land they couldn't hold) and instead they lost it all.

So in summary, Stuart = Hitler, Croker = Rommel?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What a ridiculous comment, seeing he has said in the past he lets players control training etc.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

-TW- wrote: May 16, 2018, 10:52 am What a ridiculous comment, seeing he has said in the past he lets players control training etc.
Ignoring it was obviously meant to be ridiculous, that's even worse.... So he lets them do whatever the **** they want all week then tries to force them into some poorly thought out game plan for when it counts? Genius....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Love4Noa wrote: May 15, 2018, 2:41 pm We need a James Grahame type player.
I assume by that you mean somebody who is ultra competitive, busts a nut putting in 100% every game and occasionally goes over the top. I think we have one in Rapana. Only so much you can do from the wing though.

I agree we need somebody like that in the pack.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

You know who was a good captain?

*kisses fingers* That Jarrod Croker bloke in 2016.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think you mean Jarrod Crocker, Jarrod Croker is rubbish..
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

luke wrote: May 16, 2018, 11:13 am You know who was a good captain?

*kisses fingers* That Jarrod Croker bloke in 2016.
I will never, ever, ever forget the look on Cameron Smith's face when they called Croker's name for Captain of the Year. It was a sweet, sweet moment.

Mind you, as he hobbled up the stairs in his knee brace, I will always wish when they'd said "how's the knee" he'd replied, "It's doing all right, no thanks to Cameron".
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green1982
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Nick cotric

Post by Green1982 »

Wouldn't be in my 17 oldfield onto the wing cotric to the centres Hodgson captain
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Green1982 wrote:Wouldn't be in my 17 oldfield onto the wing cotric to the centres Hodgson captain
I agree

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I was watching Fox Sport last night and Corey Parker was talking about Cameron Smiths captaincy. They had a clip of the QLD team in a huddle with Smith talking and everyone listening. The Qld side were leading by 30 at the time but Smith didn 't want the side to shut up shop or go stupid. Parker said he was inspired by his words and intent.
So Captaincy is not simply and 'old school' concept. It is a vital part of a team when done well.

Sticky thinks enough of the role to have Mal come to assist our current Captain. I don't expect Sticky will replace him. He stubbornly sticks to every decision.

The side is crying out for strong onfield leadership. We don't currently have it so either the incumbent is developed (hence Mal) or he is replaced. EW is an 80 minute player who I think would lay down the law in a way JC doesn't appear capable of doing. Being a good bloke is a good human trait but it doesn't always translate into being a good Captain.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RedRaider wrote:I was watching Fox Sport last night and Corey Parker was talking about Cameron Smiths captaincy. They had a clip of the QLD team in a huddle with Smith talking and everyone listening. The Qld side were leading by 30 at the time but Smith didn 't want the side to shut up shop or go stupid. Parker said he was inspired by his words and intent.
So Captaincy is not simply and 'old school' concept. It is a vital part of a team when done well.

Sticky thinks enough of the role to have Mal come to assist our current Captain. I don't expect Sticky will replace him. He stubbornly sticks to every decision.

The side is crying out for strong onfield leadership. We don't currently have it so either the incumbent is developed (hence Mal) or he is replaced. EW is an 80 minute player who I think would lay down the law in a way JC doesn't appear capable of doing. Being a good bloke is a good human trait but it doesn't always translate into being a good Captain.
Well said.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Croker really needs to stand up this weekend with the team. I hope he does!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

RedRaider wrote: May 17, 2018, 9:41 am I was watching Fox Sport last night and Corey Parker was talking about Cameron Smiths captaincy. They had a clip of the QLD team in a huddle with Smith talking and everyone listening. The Qld side were leading by 30 at the time but Smith didn 't want the side to shut up shop or go stupid. Parker said he was inspired by his words and intent.

I remember when the Mal connection was first mentioned I was really happy. The guy is one of the best leaders in history, even in a coaching role he has been able to motivate Queensland and Australia through 2 dominant periods.

But I was concerned that Croker wasn't actually taking it as seriously as he should, I remember the below article where he seemed a bit blasé about it, and thought, 'gee Toots, you should be taking every second you can here'.

I get the feeling Mal is the type of character who would give an immense amount of time to someone who chases it, but won't go chasing you.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e6b37c461a
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

I don't think Croker is the right Captain for this team moving forward anymore. I wouldn't even be disappointed if he left the club. I don't think he'll ever be much more then your average centre. I think we have 2 better centers in Wighton and Cotric that will never get a run there while Croker is in the team.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

BigPapa wrote:I don't think Croker is the right Captain for this team moving forward anymore. I wouldn't even be disappointed if he left the club. I don't think he'll ever be much more then your average centre. I think we have 2 better centers in Wighton and Cotric that will never get a run there while Croker is in the team.
I think your right. I struggle with him in the team at the moment. Can’t lead us through the tight games to victory, and I think now he is to light as a centre and has lost a step in pace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Croker isn't doing his job as captain. He has an obligation to the squad members playing well to challenge the performances and the selections of those who aren't. He also has an obligation to the fans to ensure the best 17 take to the field each week and play in a manner befitting the jersey.

If Ricky won't listen than Croker needs to be a man and either stand-down as captain or take the issue to the CEO and the board.

Campo and Brett White reportedly went to the board when Furner was on tilt and damaging the club and AFAIAC a similar intervention is needed to address Ricky's absurd actions and behaviour.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Captain’s job to lead the coup d’etat. :hmmm
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BigPapa wrote: June 9, 2018, 6:49 am I don't think Croker is the right Captain for this team moving forward anymore. I wouldn't even be disappointed if he left the club. I don't think he'll ever be much more then your average centre. I think we have 2 better centers in Wighton and Cotric that will never get a run there while Croker is in the team.
Imagine being such an idiot that you post something like this after a night when his general ball play was outstanding, when his defence was solid, when his kicking was perfect, and when he continued to challenge the absolute garbage ref even as the ref told him not to bother.

Croker did not make Hingano a butterfingers. Croker did not make Havili decide to take that shot when Austin was standing ready. Croker was not the one standing there with the whistle refusing to blow a penalty when the shot clock had expired and the Panthers still hadn't fed the scrum. What did you want him to do, exactly?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Northern Raider wrote: June 9, 2018, 7:47 am Captain’s job to lead the coup d’etat. :hmmm
It is incumbent on all leaders in all organisations to step up when others shirk their obligations. Ricky isn't a strong or effective leader and the evidence is of that is everywhere if people care to look beyond his passion and commitment (neither of which I doubt BTW). He blames refs and bad luck for his failure to manage his bench, his squad and address under-performance. He blames the location and the facilities for the clubs inability to attract talent when it is 20 years of relentless under-performance with no light at the end of the tunnel that acts as the greatest deterrent for potential recruits.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I thought Croker had a good captains knock last night

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

raiderskater wrote: June 9, 2018, 10:38 am
BigPapa wrote: June 9, 2018, 6:49 am I don't think Croker is the right Captain for this team moving forward anymore. I wouldn't even be disappointed if he left the club. I don't think he'll ever be much more then your average centre. I think we have 2 better centers in Wighton and Cotric that will never get a run there while Croker is in the team.
Imagine being such an idiot that you post something like this after a night when his general ball play was outstanding, when his defence was solid, when his kicking was perfect, and when he continued to challenge the absolute garbage ref even as the ref told him not to bother.

Croker did not make Hingano a butterfingers. Croker did not make Havili decide to take that shot when Austin was standing ready. Croker was not the one standing there with the whistle refusing to blow a penalty when the shot clock had expired and the Panthers still hadn't fed the scrum. What did you want him to do, exactly?
General ball playing outstanding thank God we have a captain who can pass to his winger. Defence was solid OMG make him captain for life. And his kicking was perfect why the **** is he even kicking but your right give him the C for life because results don't mean **** hey idiot.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

BigPapa wrote:

General ball playing outstanding thank God we have a captain who can pass to his winger. Defence was solid OMG make him captain for life. And his kicking was perfect why the **** is he even kicking but your right give him the C for life because results don't mean **** hey idiot.
BigPapa, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Original azizi, very original.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: June 9, 2018, 11:50 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 9, 2018, 7:47 am Captain’s job to lead the coup d’etat. :hmmm
It is incumbent on all leaders in all organisations to step up when others shirk their obligations. Ricky isn't a strong or effective leader and the evidence is of that is everywhere if people care to look beyond his passion and commitment (neither of which I doubt BTW). He blames refs and bad luck for his failure to manage his bench, his squad and address under-performance. He blames the location and the facilities for the clubs inability to attract talent when it is 20 years of relentless under-performance with no light at the end of the tunnel that acts as the greatest deterrent for potential recruits.
I'd like to see Sticky put in charge of the Refs. Less than 12 months in he would become attached and none would be sacked. He would be commenting about self interested coaches and fan complaints would be answered by saying 'I know more than you do.' It would be a hoot.

As for the Captain, the Refs don't respond to him or his arm waving (neither do his players), I've never seen where his arm waving has caused a ref to stop the match to listen to him or to change a decision they've made. So why do it? Brett White is sent onto the park to tell him what to do (last night it was to take two points when the Panthers were down to 12 men and out on their feet). That is a vote of 'no confidence' in the Captains ability to make a correct decision from the coaches point of view. Does it ever happen to Thurston, Smith, Maloney, Cordner, Gallen etc.?

He is a wonderful goal kicker. He has improved many aspects of his game although his decision making can be suspect in defence and in passing the ball. Last night he went ok in defence but the Cotric try came when Austin cut him out. A subsequent hospital pass from JC to Cotric put him in a shocker of a position and he was left with no room but to be taken over the side line. I met him a couple of years ago to do the match coin toss on my birthday. He is a friendly and affable young bloke who is a credit to the game and the club. But that doesn't make him the best person to be Captain of a FG rugby league side. You have to have it in you to be able to rally the players and call the shots a few plays in advance - like set up for the field goal last night. Like 90% of Rugby League players who are not captains, he just doesn't seem to have it in him.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Great post RR.

He's a model professional and a true clubman, but he's just not up to leading a team in my eyes.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Raider Azz wrote: June 9, 2018, 12:15 pm
BigPapa wrote:

BigPapa, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
You're the **** that believes in God and can think Croker can drag us out of this predicament may big pens have mercy EDIT.