Is Croker the right captain for the team

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Pete Cash »

I would change the captaincy but the coach and the board is a bigger problem. I think we need a culture change here. Croker is a good lad but we are just losers. The refs treat him like a joke.

All the potential choices have pros and cons as an aside. We just need to put a line through this era and start fresh. Croker again I like and I don't think he has done heaps wrong (although the refs clearly dont respect him imo) but yeah we can't keep this culture
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

He is a **** looser . It’s that simple

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Oh going on this again... Yeah because Croker told Stuart "na mate, we don't want to use the full bench today, just have Knight sit there for 80 minutes, we got this"

He also keeps picking Austin even though the guy is starting to make Williams look like an Origin player in defence and between him and BJ that entire wing is brain explosion central...
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Rick wrote: July 1, 2018, 1:33 am He is a **** looser . It’s that simple

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
**** is with people always misspelling loser....
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Pete Cash wrote:I would change the captaincy but the coach and the board is a bigger problem. I think we need a culture change here. Croker is a good lad but we are just losers. The refs treat him like a joke.

All the potential choices have pros and cons as an aside. We just need to put a line through this era and start fresh. Croker again I like and I don't think he has done heaps wrong (although the refs clearly dont respect him imo) but yeah we can't keep this culture
Yeah unfortunately CEO, Coach and Captain need to go to start work on a new culture and era

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

It should have been hodgson from the start as captain, he is the leader of the team, jarrod is a nice guy and a good clubman but he isnt a captain......also mad on betting too, like problem gambling mad on betting but thats neither here nor there really
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Oh of course it should be Hodgson. He wouldn’t have let that garbage happen again while he was on the field... oh

Fix the priority problem people. Coach.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I truly love that people actually think changing captains will impact performances of the team
Like it’s some Hollywood film. We just need leadership! Haha

It’s great. Really **** great.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

It was funny the first time someone made a thread, but now 20 threads later it's just a joke that has gone on way too **** long.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sounds like the sidemouth gag that was never funny
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Does anyone truly and honestly believe that Croker will ever be a premiership captain for the raiders?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:Does anyone truly and honestly believe that Croker will ever be a premiership captain for the raiders?
Nope, he won’t be a premiership player either.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If all of the current Raiders players names are on a sheet of paper together with their playing attributes and an eye test on leadership and who other players look/listen too, would JC be the top candidate for the (c)? the answer for me would be no. Would Sticky make such a change? the answer again would be no. So until there is change at the top there will be no change in Captaincy imo.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

LastRaider wrote: July 1, 2018, 10:17 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Does anyone truly and honestly believe that Croker will ever be a premiership captain for the raiders?
Nope, he won’t be a premiership player either.

So why are we treading water by playing this average joe let alone putting the (c) beside his name? A clean out of dead wood worked well for NSW this year. I'd like to see a ruler over all players through the lens of 'is this guy ever going to be a premiership player'.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote:I truly love that people actually think changing captains will impact performances of the team

Some people simply don't understand the role of the 'captain' in a professional football team.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

i just want a line put through this era. croker is collateral damage
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: July 1, 2018, 8:14 pm I truly love that people actually think changing captains will impact performances of the team

You don't think Cam Smith has ever influenced the result of a game?
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Pigman wrote:I truly love that people actually think changing captains will impact performances of the team

Hear hear!

Crokes is as good as any other current raider would be wearing the (c).

Let it be.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Pigman wrote: July 1, 2018, 8:14 pm I truly love that people actually think changing captains will impact performances of the team

Cam has that sway because his team is good. They earn the right.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 2, 2018, 11:00 am

Cam smith has influenced every game h a ever played. Not because of a c next to his name, but because he’s the best player to ever lace a boot
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Croker is an emblem of mediocrity.

But agree it doesn’t matter who the captain is whilst Ricky is coaching us.

Even a coach instituting the most basic of gameplans and structure, plus the willingness to use the bench on game day and more of the squad on Selection Tuesday would have us in the Top 4. We’ve had the softest draw imaginable!
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

For anyone who thinks that Croker shouldn’t be the Captain due to his skill set can I suggest reading this book:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... 812987072/

It is a great read that talks about all the different attributes a successful captain shows.

Now I am not arguing that Croker possesses these skills but you may learn that their is a lot more to picking a captain.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Ricky’s self-assigned #1 attribute as a coach is to reflect back on his career and say that he’s still friends with the majority of people he has coached. If he drops Croker or revokes the captaincy, he’s likely burning a bridge. So that’s not going to happen while he coaches us.

But like I said earlier in this thread, despite all his flaws and his stubbornness, Ricky prioritised engaging Mal Meninga to mentor Croker to become a better captain.

That speaks volumes to me, it proves the leadership gaps that we’re continually seeing on the field and clearly goes against this mythical arguement that the captain really doesn’t matter.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RTW wrote: July 2, 2018, 2:05 pm For anyone who thinks that Croker shouldn’t be the Captain due to his skill set can I suggest reading this book:

It is a great read that talks about all the different attributes a successful captain shows.

Now I am not arguing that Croker possesses these skills but you may learn that their is a lot more to picking a captain.
Save me the time and quote me the bit that defines success. We have a very low bar if we think Croker has captained a successful team. If we are saying he has successfully lead a team of losers then that's even more reason to punt him. He's been an honest toiler who was never going to be a rep star and it's time for him to make way before he overstays his welcome and damages the legacy he has built.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2018, 3:01 pm
RTW wrote: July 2, 2018, 2:05 pm For anyone who thinks that Croker shouldn’t be the Captain due to his skill set can I suggest reading this book:

Save me the time and quote me the bit that defines success. We have a very low bar if we think Croker has captained a successful team. If we are saying he has successfully lead a team of losers then that's even more reason to punt him. He's been an honest toiler who was never going to be a rep star and it's time for him to make way before he overstays his welcome and damages the legacy he has built.
Making Hodgson or anyone else captain isn't going to magically cause us to start winning games. Give it a **** rest already. Croker is our captain and will be for the foreseeable future whether you like it or not, our problems are way deeper than who has the C next to their name, and making 800 threads calling for Croker to be dropped as captain isn't doing a **** thing.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Croker should have demanded change by this point and resigned the captaincy if it wasn't forthcoming.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Croker is not the the problem here, miss managing the salary cap, coaching and mental preparedness, recruitment, retention, game managemnt and the use of the forward rotation ect, ect, ect all points to the CEO, board and head coach, it would not matter if Croker, Cam Smith or Kermit the Frog were captain, the above issues all lead down the long winding riad of failiure
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Croker should have demanded change by this point and resigned the captaincy if it wasn't forthcoming.
So many people voluntarily throw away large sums of money and prestige for footballing honour Image

Particularly when it’s only at the call of clowns on the internet who think it’s actually an issue.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote:Ricky’s self-assigned #1 attribute as a coach is to reflect back on his career and say that he’s still friends with the majority of people he has coached. If he drops Croker or revokes the captaincy, he’s likely burning a bridge. So that’s not going to happen while he coaches us.

But like I said earlier in this thread, despite all his flaws and his stubbornness, Ricky prioritised engaging Mal Meninga to mentor Croker to become a better captain.

That speaks volumes to me, it proves the leadership gaps that we’re continually seeing on the field and clearly goes against this mythical arguement that the captain really doesn’t matter.
Yeh raiders logic:
This person is doing a terrible job, but I agree with him on this one point, so I’ll use that as the basis of an argument.

ImageImageImage
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 2, 2018, 11:00 am

And you have rocks in your head if you think that Croker's never influenced a game. I can think of multiple where he picked up the team and dragged them forward, even if the win didn't quite come off.

Croker can't win. A year or two ago it was that he didn't deserve to be captain because he looked upset at press conferences. Now apparently he's not upset enough.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Do people REALLY honestly think that with a different captain we'd see a change in the W-L loss column? Really?
We can **** still be here in 2018 can we?

Cam Smith can influence officials, we get that. He's a great captain because of it... but he's a great captain because he's a **** elite player! Ever heard the term "superstar call", thats what it is! The best in the world at their chosen sport get the BOTD! That's sport.

Cam Smith can influence referees because he's the best player to ever lace a boot, and he's given the BOTD due to a man of his stature. Inglis is a bumbling idiot who cant string 5 words together, possesses no real geniuine leadership and was a perfectly fine captain because.... HE'S A SUPERSTAR! haha.
Paul Gallen ****, who is objectively a terrible, selfish leader, got calls! Because he has a reputation as an elite footballer.

We dont have a superstar, not in the true sense of the word. If we had one, then by all means he should be captain.
Hodgson is our best player but he is a Pom who doesnt play origin, who isnt visible on a code wide sense. Croker's got a more public profile than Hodgson, Croker would get recognised in the street more than Hodgson.

What has made Croker a bad captain today and in 2015 as opposed to 2016 when he was voted Captain of the Year in the Dally M's? Wins and Losses is all. Asinine analysis. Wins means the captain is fine, losses means he's trash. Please.

Croker has the respect and backing of his player group, his coaching staff and isn't likely to do something that requires him to be stood down. Importance for captaincy is in THAT order. If the players took a poll on who they'd want as captain, it would be near anonymous that Croker would retain the role. That's what captaincy is, setting a standard for the club, and having the ultimate respect from you peers.

Anyone who thinks that we'd have more wins than we do now with a different captain has watched too many god damn movies, haha. It's so god damn ridiculous.

My only issue with our leadership is that they've taken on Stuart's persona of complaining about everything too much. But that's clearly a product of a culture of unaccountability more than anything else
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Word for word what pig said. Killed it like our 2018 hopes
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by gangrenous »

Also agree with pigman. Except on his autocorrect use of anonymous

You all know what that means when pigman and gangers agree. It’s that tiny slice of the Venn diagram which is labelled “Without doubt this is correct”.

Since we can throw in Archer as well it’s the even smaller slice labelled “Why is this still a discussion?”
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: July 2, 2018, 8:47 pm Also agree with pigman. Except on his autocorrect use of anonymous Image

You all know what that means when pigman and gangers agree. It’s that tiny slice of the Venn diagram which is labelled “Without doubt this is correct”.

Since we can throw in Archer as well it’s the even smaller slice labelled “Why is this still a discussion?”
I look forward to Croker leading the team to future premiership success then....
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Was ET a good captain?
How about Wiki?
Thoughts on James Graham as a captain?
What about Wayne Pearce?
Dean Lance, was he any good? (yes he won a comp, but not as a captain!!!!!)
John Sutton a legendary captain thanks to 2014?
Jamie Lyon, the dude who is notoriously flakey, a great captain and leader?
Ben Hornby is a hellova leader now?
Matt Orford... MATT ORFORD! Captain of a 40-0 drubbing in a GF. Legendary leader!!!!
Stacy Jones - Trash.
Nathan Hindmarsh -Trash.

Should i **** continue, can GE take over and regale us of the legends of this game who didnt win a comp who were incredible footballers and leaders of men, or can i just pat you on the head, and put you to bed, son?