Pull Sezer’s offer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: Pull Sezer’s offer

Post by papabear »

Sezer single handedly lost us that match.

His kicking was horrid, his input was horrid and worst of all they made a half break which he was involved being a nufty turn style in defence.

Honestly, I am now in camp afgntk, he is a joker.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Can't we put Sammy on the roids? I mean career wise he hasn't got much to lose.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 13, 2018, 8:38 pm
Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 8:12 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 6:05 pm Haha here come the over reactions just waiting for that loss.

And buy who? There is no one better to buy...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Is it really an overreaction though? I have already conceded that he is adequate if you are happy being the 10th-14th best team in the competition. I have no doubt he will have a good game the next time we play the eels or bulldogs or something like that.

But you honestly need much more from
That from a halfback. He will
Not lead us to a premiership.
Do you want a news flash. The Canberra Raiders aren’t winning a premiership any time soon. Sign who you want. No one will live there and we will never compete with clubs like Brisbane and the Roosters.

Which halfback can we realistically buy to live in Canberra that is better then him??

:doubt:

That is absolute garbage. Don’t buy it at all.

On paper, 3 years ago I looked at a Sezer-Austin halves combo as having the ingredients to be successful. On their ostensible trajectory they could have lead us to great things.

For some reason both have regressed. Many have their suspicions as to why they have regressed, but that’s another matter. The fact is they have regressed.

Now, if we aren’t going to overhaul the coaching staff and front office, then the next best thing to do is turn over the players who aren’t performing.

To do neither is the definition of insanity because what we are doing now just is not working.

But back to your original point, I think it is incorrect to pin things on Canberra as a place to live. Players will move for a variety of reasons including club culture, money, personal career enhancement and club success.

At the moment we are offering nothing to prospective signings. But if we created a strong culture where players could sign confidently knowing their careers wouldn’t stall and with a fighting chance of premiership success, then players would sign.

Even if right now we can’t realistically sign a Cronk or Thurston calibre player, it is still insanity to persist with what has failed us. Why not make it number 1 priority to find the best young half in the country and throw some cash at him?
As Josh Reynolds said on NRL 360 the other night, a lot of players don't play with the passion and love of the game like he does, its just a job to them, and he said that is fine as long as they are committed to their job. So if you have a player with a job offer to live in Bondi, or the Nothern Beaches or Canberra, which do you think they will take?
And what is the point of throwing cash at a young gun for them to come good and then sign with the Roosters or Broncos. This is a club who lost a bench hooker in Baptise to a club who signed Cronk and Tedesco.
I think people need to be realistic, its the currently climate the NRL is in and we simply cant compete, we will continue to be a middle of the road club who will punch above our weight on the odd occasion and pay overs to keep players.
I'm just more realistic these days. Maybe people find it hard to accept the current state of affairs.
In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

edwahu wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:44 am Can't we put Sammy on the roids? I mean career wise he hasn't got much to lose.
Yeah why not, its not like he is a human being or anything...
In Ricky We Trust
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brew wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:53 am
edwahu wrote: May 14, 2018, 9:44 am Can't we put Sammy on the roids? I mean career wise he hasn't got much to lose.
Yeah why not, its not like he is a human being or anything...
I may not have been serious.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 13, 2018, 8:38 pm
Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 8:12 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
Brew wrote: May 13, 2018, 6:05 pm Haha here come the over reactions just waiting for that loss.

And buy who? There is no one better to buy...

Is it really an overreaction though? I have already conceded that he is adequate if you are happy being the 10th-14th best team in the competition. I have no doubt he will have a good game the next time we play the eels or bulldogs or something like that.

But you honestly need much more from
That from a halfback. He will
Not lead us to a premiership.
Do you want a news flash. The Canberra Raiders aren’t winning a premiership any time soon. Sign who you want. No one will live there and we will never compete with clubs like Brisbane and the Roosters.

Which halfback can we realistically buy to live in Canberra that is better then him??

:doubt:

That is absolute garbage. Don’t buy it at all.

On paper, 3 years ago I looked at a Sezer-Austin halves combo as having the ingredients to be successful. On their ostensible trajectory they could have lead us to great things.

For some reason both have regressed. Many have their suspicions as to why they have regressed, but that’s another matter. The fact is they have regressed.

Now, if we aren’t going to overhaul the coaching staff and front office, then the next best thing to do is turn over the players who aren’t performing.

To do neither is the definition of insanity because what we are doing now just is not working.

But back to your original point, I think it is incorrect to pin things on Canberra as a place to live. Players will move for a variety of reasons including club culture, money, personal career enhancement and club success.

At the moment we are offering nothing to prospective signings. But if we created a strong culture where players could sign confidently knowing their careers wouldn’t stall and with a fighting chance of premiership success, then players would sign.

Even if right now we can’t realistically sign a Cronk or Thurston calibre player, it is still insanity to persist with what has failed us. Why not make it number 1 priority to find the best young half in the country and throw some cash at him?
Regression.... cough cough 'ricky stuart' cough cough
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Hingano has not been training in the halves.

"I feel sorry for Ata because I've been training him as a utility nine player and he hasn't done a lot of work in the halves with us, it's probably my fault." - Ricky

What the **** Ricky! If Sezer or Austin goes down, as happened, Hingano is supposed to just have a crack without having trained to cover the halves. No wonder we looked disjointed. ****. Hingano is just set up to fail.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

The only real alternative to signing Sezer again (which I'm in favour of FTR), is to go out on a limb and offer too-good-to-refuse money to a young up and coming player like Brodie Croft, Riley Jacks, Broke Lamb, Mason Lino or someone else like that.

Unfortunately, I don't have faith in Stuart to be able to identify the right one, nor do I have faith that he'll actually nurture them into a truly great half back.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

We have to sign Sezer, it’s just the money expectation that needs to be sorted.
He’s a solid defender with a good pass and kicking game. He just had one of the all time shockers of games.
But he just can’t be relied on to steer the team and ice games. Hopefully Hodgson can do that.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

To be truthful I don't think Hodgson did a great job of that last year in a number of close games we had either. My frustration is there is no one out there taking the lead in those close situations and guiding the team home. IMHO it should be Sezer's role but he clearly isn't capable of it... so someone needs to pick up the slack. And no one does. Yesterday was just so predictable.
summitone77
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by summitone77 »

Williams played Mounties last round, so expect him to come straight back into the side next week.
Why Ricky has not been training Hingano at half is beyond me, especially when you have someone like Garvey who should be our hooker on the bench.
Ricky truly confuses me sometimes!!!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I hope we don’t see Williams come in. I would like to see Sezer/Hingano for one game with Garvey of the bench

Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

LastRaider wrote: May 14, 2018, 12:47 pm I hope we don’t see Williams come in. I would like to see Sezer/Hingano for one game with Garvey of the bench

Considering Hingano has been training exclusively at hooker you can work out what will happen.
In Ricky We Trust
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Someone suggested to throw the bank at Cleary Jr / Munster with Ivan as the HC.

I am all for this move.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

papabear wrote:Someone suggested to throw the bank at Cleary Jr / Munster with Ivan as the HC.

I am all for this move.
Second that. $1m each and fill the squad with upcoming juniors mixed with some experience heads like Sia Soliola etc

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: May 14, 2018, 12:30 pm To be truthful I don't think Hodgson did a great job of that last year in a number of close games we had either. My frustration is there is no one out there taking the lead in those close situations and guiding the team home. IMHO it should be Sezer's role but he clearly isn't capable of it... so someone needs to pick up the slack. And no one does. Yesterday was just so predictable.
Sezer is a confidence player. He’s been good when he’s ‘on’. Yesterday he looked well down on confidence. When that’s happens the more he tries the more he stuffs up. It’s those times when he needs help. Unfortunately we don’t have anybody to step into that role, at least while Hodgo is out.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He's a confidence player? Looks like he's been playing without confidence for 2.75 of 3 seasons with us then.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote: May 14, 2018, 12:30 pm To be truthful I don't think Hodgson did a great job of that last year in a number of close games we had either. My frustration is there is no one out there taking the lead in those close situations and guiding the team home. IMHO it should be Sezer's role but he clearly isn't capable of it... so someone needs to pick up the slack. And no one does. Yesterday was just so predictable.
Sezer is a confidence player. He’s been good when he’s ‘on’. Yesterday he looked well down on confidence. When that’s happens the more he tries the more he stuffs up. It’s those times when he needs help. Unfortunately we don’t have anybody to step into that role, at least while Hodgo is out.
Didnt look like a confidence issue to me yesterday. Seemed like his mind was elsewhere. Hope they sort out his contract asap....one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:36 pm
Sezer had the ability to lead this team, just not the mentality to do it consistently.

There was something weird going on yesterday, like Austin started to assert himself more. He was taking the majority of 5th tackle kicks, he was feeding scrums... it seems as soon as Sezer has his dominance challenged he disappears. I thought we had worked out the best way forward was to have Austin as a secondary playmaker, but we went away from that. After Austin went off Sezer kept up his dissapearing act. Andrew Johns was smashing him for his lack of game awareness running to rh short sides on the last when he is a left footed kicker that should be taking control of the match. Wighton kicked in the last because the hooker looked to the open sod and couldn't find his primary kicker. The Cotric try came from a kick from Whitehead, why on earth our second rower ends up with the ball on the last is mind boggling.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:42 pm He's a confidence player? Looks like he's been playing without confidence for 2.75 of 3 seasons with us then.
Sticky has that effect on his halves. It’s a talent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2018, 2:36 pm
Sezer had the ability to lead this team, just not the mentality to do it consistently.

There was something weird going on yesterday, like Austin started to assert himself more. He was taking the majority of 5th tackle kicks, he was feeding scrums... it seems as soon as Sezer has his dominance challenged he disappears. I thought we had worked out the best way forward was to have Austin as a secondary playmaker, but we went away from that. After Austin went off Sezer kept up his dissapearing act. Andrew Johns was smashing him for his lack of game awareness running to rh short sides on the last when he is a left footed kicker that should be taking control of the match. Wighton kicked in the last because the hooker looked to the open sod and couldn't find his primary kicker. The Cotric try came from a kick from Whitehead, why on earth our second rower ends up with the ball on the last is mind boggling.
Disappearing act? He sure as hell didn’t disappear. We all saw him plain as day **** up constanly.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I reckon, after last night I would prefer he kept up with the disappearing act.

Honestly, I think we have more then any other side in the competition, one player just throwing games over and over again, whether thats austin sezer boyd leilua.

So many games you just shake your head.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

We are 4-7.

All of our wins are against bottom 4 teams. Sever has looked OK-good in all of the wins.

Whenever we face reasonable opposition, he is deeply inadequate; and cannot lead us to victory. Why are we re-signing him??
Up The Milk
Go_Greenm@chine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Go_Greenm@chine »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 20, 2018, 4:42 pm We are 4-7.

All of our wins are against bottom 4 teams. Sever has looked OK-good in all of the wins.

Whenever we face reasonable opposition, he is deeply inadequate; and cannot lead us to victory. Why are we re-signing him??
Yep. Sezer's ceiling has been hit - this is as good as he gets.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Please name me someone better that we can buy? I'm yet to see anyone here throw up a better option.
There are no good halves off contract. There is a lack of quality halves in the NRL in general.
I'm all for replacing him but it needs to be an upgrade not just for the sake of replacing him.
In Ricky We Trust
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Brew wrote:

Please name me someone better that we can buy? I'm yet to see anyone here throw up a better option.
There are no good halves off contract. There is a lack of quality halves in the NRL in general.
I'm all for replacing him but it needs to be an upgrade not just for the sake of replacing him.
Throw a kid the keys sure he will be inconsistent but we aren’t doing anything with our current stocks:
AJ Brimson
Jake Clifford
Brodie Croft
Cooper Bambling
Cooper Johns
Sam Scarlett

All young kids playing their trade in the Q cup, do I need honk they are ready to control an NRL team- probably not but we are not going to be successful with what we currently have.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Pull Sezer’s offer

Post by RTW »

Brew wrote:

Throw a kid the keys sure he will be inconsistent but we aren’t doing anything with our current stocks:
AJ Brimson
Jake Clifford
Brodie Croft
Cooper Bambling
Cooper Johns
Sam Scarlett

All young kids plying their trade in the Q cup, do I think they are ready to control an NRL team- probably not but we are not going to be successful with what we currently have.

Alternatively Mason Lino at the Warriors is a better option and may be willing to move if the price is right.

The real answer is to go to Cleary’s manager and tell him to name the price.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Brew wrote: May 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Brew, there are always alternative options, even if they are hard to stomach in the short term. I'm finding the current combo hard to stomach, so I doubt it can get much worse.

It is madness to sign up a proven failure long term (we aren't re-signing him on a Bateman contract).

We need to play the long game for a change. Sign the best young half off contract for next year OR roll with the deeply average WIlliams/Hingano combo. Then in 2020 throw the cash at the best half off contract.
Up The Milk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Cooper Bambling left the club like a fortnight ago, I don't think he will be coming back. Agree Lino would be a good option based on who could be a realistic chance.

I think the best scenario in the circumstances would be to keep Sezer on a 1 year deal with 1 year option in our favour.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

RTW wrote:Throw a kid the keys sure he will be inconsistent but we aren’t doing anything with our current stocks:
AJ Brimson
Jake Clifford
Brodie Croft
Cooper Bambling
Cooper Johns
Sam Scarlett

All young kids playing their trade in the Q cup, do I need honk they are ready to control an NRL team- probably not but we are not going to be successful with what we currently have.
I don’t know what honk is, but I think with the way this season has been, we all need a bit of honk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 22, 2018, 7:30 am
RTW wrote:Throw a kid the keys sure he will be inconsistent but we aren’t doing anything with our current stocks:
AJ Brimson
Jake Clifford
Brodie Croft
Cooper Bambling
Cooper Johns
Sam Scarlett

I don’t know what honk is, but I think with the way this season has been, we all need a bit of honk
Honk is exactly what we've been missing. Finally somebody has cracked the code.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2018, 7:50 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 22, 2018, 7:30 am
AJ Brimson
Jake Clifford
Brodie Croft
Cooper Bambling
Cooper Johns
Sam Scarlett

Honk is exactly what we've been missing. Finally somebody has cracked the code.
I've just looked on NRLstats, I can't find a honk rating anywhere. Does anyone know who is off contract next year with a lot of honk??
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Mason Lino would be good, not a bad defender, very good kicking and passing game.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mason Lino with corey norman imo would be achievable and would a whole bunch better then what we have.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Our club is too short sighted to go after someone like lino

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk