Josh Papalii re-signs with Canberra Raiders on four year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Josh Papalii re-signs with Canberra Raiders on four year deal

Post by BJ »

Raiders666 wrote:Done deal....
I got no problem with Punish. This deal just continues to confirm he’s the most ill informed member with the worst contacts in the game.

This is business as usual, every good movie needs a bad guy.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I'm happy with this. Papa has earned the 4 year deal. He has generally been pretty consistently great, and I love that he wants to stick around.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Also, if an admin would kindly clean out all the personal attacks aimed at me that would be great.

We are afterall a family friendly site.

xoxo Gossip Girl

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:35 pm
zim wrote:Nicccceeeeeeee.

Anyone got any hot sources on who's signing next?
Also, who is the next person that "has signed but hasn't" that we need to direct our collective depression at?
dynamic lui?
Ah indeed!
Someone get a manager / pen / remove the cat and mouse. Joke club and so forth.

Also here is some sauce: Fenno is missing canberra. Could be back as a 2nd bench forward for a Lima-ish stint. Discuss.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

BJ wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:44 pm
I got no problem with Punish. This deal just continues to confirm he’s the most ill informed member with the worst contacts in the game.

True...He gave me his fair share though.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Raiders666 wrote:

Let's settle this with a cuddle?

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Captain Punish wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:50 pm
Raiders666 wrote:

Let's settle this with a cuddle?

:hmmm
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe the 'inside goss' he receives while rinsing the conditioner out of Bays butchers mums' hair isn't to be relied upon.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Great news though...Love the bloke
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Captain Punish wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:45 pm Also, if an admin would kindly clean out all the personal attacks aimed at me that would be great.

xoxo Gossip Girl

Looks like your source was as good on this one as they were on Glenn Stewart!
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Raiders666 wrote:Great news though...Love the bloke
All punish aside, it really is great news and what we needed.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Captain Punish wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:58 pm
Raiders666 wrote:Great news though...Love the bloke
All punish aside, it really is great news and what we needed.

We finally agree
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Pete Cash wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:02 pm Great news

im loving the backrow of whitehead, papalii and tarps. its my one joy this year
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

This is fantastic news.
Im loving our backrow at the moment..
Raiden
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Raiden »

Great news. But is anyone wondering for what cost? We have a decorated history of poor cap management (how does Don still have his job) 😂

Half our problem is spending big money on non key positions. Hope a war chest is being prepared to throw at free agent marquee halves to replace Austin and Sezer over the next season or two. While they’re competent, they’re not elite. And we haven’t had an elite half since 94. I’m no genius but that doesn’t sound like just a coincidence to me. Only have to look at the current ladder and the halves that the top of the comp has and their associated kicking games to understand the importance of them.
#hungry
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiden wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:46 pm Great news. But is anyone wondering for what cost? We have a decorated history of poor cap management (how does Don still have his job) 😂

Half our problem is spending big money on non key positions. Hope a war chest is being prepared to throw at free agent marquee halves to replace Austin and Sezer over the next season or two. While they’re competent, they’re not elite. And we haven’t had an elite half since 94. I’m no genius but that doesn’t sound like just a coincidence to me. Only have to look at the current ladder and the halves that the top of the comp has and their associated kicking games to understand the importance of them.
I'd argue Lock is a key position. Especially for us considering how awful the rest of our middle is looking.

I would say we paid huge money to keep him, he really had all the leverage thanks to Boyd and Junior leaving.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:56 pm
Raiden wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:46 pm Great news. But is anyone wondering for what cost? We have a decorated history of poor cap management (how does Don still have his job) 😂

I'd argue Lock is a key position. Especially for us considering how awful the rest of our middle is looking.

I would say we paid huge money to keep him, he really had all the leverage thanks to Boyd and Junior leaving.
Papa is an Origin player, and borderline Australian international. He is big, strong, has a great motor, can tackle, and meter eat. He is worth every penny.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I heard the 4 year contract was for eleventeen million dollarydoos
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

We didn't budge on Paulo and Boyd and to me we kept the right middle forward (the one that actually has rep experience and can string consistently high performances together). Without knowing the exact figure, I'm not worried they spent too much. If it came out we spent a silly figure like a mill a year I'd be extremely surprised. Every team has an elite middle player and we are banking on Papalii being ours for the next 4 years.

If we can't afford a good half I think the money needs to trickle in from an edge rather than Papa.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

zim wrote:
Raiden wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:46 pm Great news. But is anyone wondering for what cost? We have a decorated history of poor cap management (how does Don still have his job) Image

We didn't budge on Paulo and Boyd and to me we kept the right middle forward (the one that actually has rep experience and can string consistently high performances together). Without knowing the exact figure, I'm not worried they spent too much. If it came out we spent a silly figure like a mill a year I'd be extremely surprised. Every team has an elite middle player and we are banking on Papalii being ours for the next 4 years.

If we can't afford a good half I think the money needs to trickle in from an edge rather than Papa.

The major difference and reason why you would pay more for Papalii is the minutes he plays. Whilst Boyd was often churning out 35( I thought he was capable of a lot more) and Paulo 45ish, Papalii and correct me if I’m wrong has played the full 80 at lock a couple of times since returning from Mounties?

At the very least you will get 60 quality minutes from him in the middle.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

RTW wrote: June 15, 2018, 2:28 pm
zim wrote:
Raiden wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:46 pm Great news. But is anyone wondering for what cost? We have a decorated history of poor cap management (how does Don still have his job) Image

The major difference and reason why you would pay more for Papalii is the minutes he plays. Whilst Boyd was often churning out 35( I thought he was capable of a lot more) and Paulo 45ish, Papalii and correct me if I’m wrong has played the full 80 at lock a couple of times since returning from Mounties?

At the very least you will get 60 quality minutes from him in the middle.
Yep he's played either 80 or the low 70s a number of times. Minutes are certainly a big plus when you look at the re-signing.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Sid wrote: June 15, 2018, 2:07 pm I heard the 4 year contract was for eleventeen million dollarydoos
I heard Paps went into a restaurant and ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant. Still, since the restaurant closed he's gotten back to his best and I look forward to him closing many restaurants in the next 4 years.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Captain Punish wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:45 pm Also, if an admin would kindly clean out all the personal attacks aimed at me that would be great.

xoxo Gossip Girl

That wouldn’t be a monumental task
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2018, 1:56 pm

:lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii re-signs with the Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have secured the prized signature of star forward Josh Papalii with the State of Origin enforcer signing a four-year contract extension.

Papalii's retention comes after halfback Aidan Sezer agreed to terms for a two-year contract extension, with the playmaker set to put pen to paper in the coming days. Deputy hooker Siliva Havili and prop Dunamis Lui are close to signing two-year contract extensions in a boost to Canberra's depth, while Sia Soliola is edging closer to a new deal.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zlm8.html

Family big factor in Papalii re-signing at Raiders

Canberra Raiders backrower Josh Papalii said securing his playing future on the field and his family's off it were the big reasons why he put pen to paper on a new four-year deal to stay in the nation's capital until 2022.

"Security was the biggest key behind my contract but like I said from the start of my career, once a Canberra Raider always a Raider," Papalii said. "So, I'm happy to sign again for four years and keep the green jersey on my back. That will be me to 30 and hopefully I'll still be getting better as age goes on, but in saying that it's a long time away and I'm still concentrating on this season."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15/jos ... a-raiders/

VIDEO: Papalii speaks after re-signing until end of 2022: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/06 ... d-of-2022/

Papalii re-signs with Canberra until 2022: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/papalii-re- ... until-2022
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: June 15, 2018, 2:07 pm I heard the 4 year contract was for eleventeen million dollarydoos
That's exactly the amount I'm hearing to.

Well done Sid.

And Papa..you big soft handed cuddle thing..I love you.

Another 4yrs..you are aces.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2018, 3:35 pm Josh Papalii re-signs with the Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have secured the prized signature of star forward Josh Papalii with the State of Origin enforcer signing a four-year contract extension.

Papalii's retention comes after halfback Aidan Sezer agreed to terms for a two-year contract extension, with the playmaker set to put pen to paper in the coming days. Deputy hooker Siliva Havili and prop Dunamis Lui are close to signing two-year contract extensions in a boost to Canberra's depth, while Sia Soliola is edging closer to a new deal.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zlm8.html

Family big factor in Papalii re-signing at Raiders

Canberra Raiders backrower Josh Papalii said securing his playing future on the field and his family's off it were the big reasons why he put pen to paper on a new four-year deal to stay in the nation's capital until 2022.

"Security was the biggest key behind my contract but like I said from the start of my career, once a Canberra Raider always a Raider," Papalii said. "So, I'm happy to sign again for four years and keep the green jersey on my back. That will be me to 30 and hopefully I'll still be getting better as age goes on, but in saying that it's a long time away and I'm still concentrating on this season."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15/jos ... a-raiders/

VIDEO: Papalii speaks after re-signing until end of 2022: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/06 ... d-of-2022/

Papalii re-signs with Canberra until 2022: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/papalii-re- ... until-2022
"Once a Canberra Raider always a Raider"..noice.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Apart from that time he was briefly an Eel.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

I'm glad
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

BigPapa wrote: June 15, 2018, 6:41 pmI'm glad
I can really feel your energy mate......
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Excellent news. I think his 4th year he might be getting some of that long-serving player money.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

zim wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

Also here is some sauce: Fenno is missing canberra. Could be back as a 2nd bench forward for a Lima-ish stint. Discuss.
I figure you're probably joking, but...do that deal. Love Fenno.

I nearly squeaked out of my chair at work today when the email landed in my inbox and said four years. I don't care what we're paying him; he's worth every cent.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

raiderskater wrote: June 15, 2018, 7:29 pm
zim wrote: June 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

I figure you're probably joking, but...do that deal. Love Fenno.

I nearly squeaked out of my chair at work today when the email landed in my inbox and said four years. I don't care what we're paying him; he's worth every cent.
I'm not joking on the Fenno missing Canberra. Cowboys fan who regularly beers with Fenno after home games mentioned it, and that's more solid than anything the mole or lucy has ever come up with.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Like anyone, at the right price, Fenno is fine

the trouble was Fensom when he left was being paid like a SOO rep, rather than a high work rate, low impact bench middle he was. If he's paid in line with his role, i'd have him back.