Melbourne Storm turn to Canberra Raiders Aidan Sezer for Cooper Cronk replacement

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Melbourne Storm turn to Canberra Raiders Aidan Sezer for Cooper Cronk replacement

Post by edwahu »

I don't think it's a NRL thing as much as we are viewed as a soft club with soft players by many in the league. The Bulldogs for example have the whole "dogs of war" thing. Most of the selectors are not traditionally the most impartial bunch so I am sure that sort of thing influences them.

There are also some selections which imo have been to benefit clubs linked to selectors (*cough* Dylan Walker *cough*)
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: Melbourne Storm turn to Canberra Raiders Aidan Sezer for Cooper Cronk replacement

Post by magoo »

I don't believe there is bias against raiders players by nsw. I just think our team has been average for a long time and that affects them being noticed by selectors
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Brew wrote: May 9, 2018, 4:39 pm Monaghan only made Origin and Australia when he came back to the Raiders

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I stand corrected on Mona's. Thought he was still a Rooster then.

Where was he in 2006? Seems he didn't play that year. Injured?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

magoo wrote: May 9, 2018, 4:45 pm I don't believe there is bias against raiders players by nsw. I just think our team has been average for a long time and that affects them being noticed by selectors
Maybe not a bias against us, more a bias towards other clubs.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Finchy wrote:
Brew wrote: May 9, 2018, 4:39 pm Monaghan only made Origin and Australia when he came back to the Raiders

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I stand corrected on Mona's. Thought he was still a Rooster then.

Where was he in 2006? Seems he didn't play that year. Injured?
Thought he did an ACL?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

About an hour ago I saw a Craig Bellamy interview from Storm training.

There was no mention from the media ref Sezer.

I did notice a lot of speedboats on trailers in the background though.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

magoo wrote: May 9, 2018, 4:45 pm I don't believe there is bias against raiders players by nsw. I just think our team has been average for a long time and that affects them being noticed by selectors
Shhhh, magoo. Don't put facts in the story. I'm enjoying all the hysteria and carry-on in this thread.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Storm are considering launching a bid to sign talented Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer for 2019.
First line of the short article. Sounds to me like a 'scoop' for the Player Manager so I'm not buying it. Would Melbourne give up so quickly on Croft and Jacks after half dozen games each and sign a guy who realistically hasn't reached any great heights over his 130 game career?

Player manager trying to drive up his client's perceived value is all this is.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:13 pm
Shhhh, magoo. Don't put facts in the story. I'm enjoying all the hysteria and carry-on in this thread.
:D
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:37 pm
The Storm are considering launching a bid to sign talented Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer for 2019.
First line of the short article. Sounds to me like a 'scoop' for the Player Manager so I'm not buying it. Would Melbourne give up so quickly on Croft and Jacks after half dozen games each and sign a guy who realistically hasn't reached any great heights over his 130 game career?

You’re probably right, a poor choice of clubs by the player manager though as i’d Imagine with Stuart and Bellamy being good mates that They’d be pretty honest with each other if there were incorrect reports floating about
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I can't believe how delusion some fans get when they judge their own players.

Tongue, Croker, Bateman, Sezer - not one of them is, was or ever will be rep material. God knows who else I've forgotten, there's definitely more.

That's not hating on them, that's just pure fact.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Melbourne Storm turn to Canberra Raiders Aidan Sezer for Cooper Cronk replacement

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:I can't believe how delusion some fans get when they judge their own players.

Tongue, Croker, Bateman, Sezer - not one of them is, was or ever will be rep material. God knows who else I've forgotten, there's definitely more.

Well certainly not NSW material, but both Alan Tongue and Jarrod Croker would’ve played Origin for Queensland if they’d been born north of the border.

Tongue would’ve played about twenty origins, would’ve made a perfect Queenslander.

Definitely not suitable for NSW though. You guys keep your Dugans, Creaghs and Fergusons.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Adam Mogg played Origin for QLD

In a position he never played in at the Raiders.

Croker and Fensom would have been a great chance of playing origin by now if they were a QLD.

Instead NSW have ended up with Anthony Quinn getting games..
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Schifty wrote:Adam Mogg played Origin for QLD

In a position he never played in at the Raiders.

Croker and Fensom would have been a great chance of playing origin by now if they were a QLD.

Instead NSW have ended up with Anthony Quinn getting games..
Cripes! Croker would be huge if he was a QLD! Wouldn't fit on the field
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

**** I had a pure hatred for Anthony Quinn. Grub of the highest order.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I forgot about Fensom. He would’ve played for Queensland by now if he was born north of the border too.

I said it all along back in the days when Ben Creagh was lining up for NSW every game to run away from fights: if Alan Tongue were a Queenslander he’d have twenty origins by now, it Ben Creagh were one he’d have none
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

edwahu wrote: May 9, 2018, 4:47 pm
Maybe not a bias against us, more a bias towards other clubs.
Agree with that. And it’d mostly be unintentional. They just have their brains geared towards certain teams and certain players. You hear it all the time in commentary, particularly on Nine. The same play can be lauded for a whole half or go totally unacknowledged depending who did it. The big Sydney team wins and it was due to their brilliance, the Raiders win in the same fashion and it was due to the big Sydney club not playing well.

Plus, I swear Laurie only watched one or two free-to-air games a week. And we ain’t on free-to-air.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I find all of that to be garbage, to be honest. The Raiders get their credit when they deserve it, and get treated with disdain when they don’t. Unfortunately for us, for the better part of the last two decades, the latter has been true

Interestingly though, last season we were hot garbage, but were constantly talked up by the media “experts”. Because we had a good team and played like crap

Even the game last weekend the commentators were saying we could win the comp if we just got our heads right

The respect is there, when we deserve it. Unfortunately we rarely do
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Other than Campo I don't think our players have been treated harshly. As I said that's not the point been made.

I do think people forget the rubbish players who have been selected over the years when they declare players to not be "rep material". There are are plenty of worse players than Tongue and Croker who played for the blues.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

afgtnk wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:47 pm I can't believe how delusion some fans get when they judge their own players.

Very normal to overrate the players you support week in, week out.

But I agree, not one of them are true Origin material. And yeah they probably would’ve all played for QLD, because they can cope with picking average players like Chris McQueen, Ashley Harrison and Tim Glasby around the likes of Cam Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Inglis etc
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Not origin material like Nathan Merrit, Kade Snowden, Jamie Buhrer, Phil Bailey and Anthony Quinn?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

edwahu wrote: May 9, 2018, 11:06 pm Not origin material like Nathan Merrit, Kade Snowden, Jamie Buhrer, Phil Bailey and Anthony Quinn?
Yep all average too, all very lucky to get a run.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Blake Austin was Dally M five-eighth of the year, not seriously considered for origin. Leilua centre of the year, not seriously considered.

I've looked at the last 10 years for Dally M team of the year, and the only other recipients not to play origin are James Roberts (Titans, also maligned/forgotten) and Segeyaro (competing with Cam Smith).
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Meanwhile, watch Euan Aitken waltz into the team this year after a few good rounds and a career of ball hogging

The selectors all like to talk up "big game experience", "finals experience", but Jack de Belin will get picked despite his team falling short of the finals last year
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I thought Aiden Sezer left the Titans to be closer to family in Sydney. Going to Melbourne would blow a hole in that theory.

As for Origin selection - well all the selectors should do is pick players who are in the best form. There have been some real head shakers from NSW though. Apart from the players listed above how on Earth did Phil Sigsworth get 3 Origin matches or how did Kurt Gidley continue to get picked.

I don't think the Raiders fans are alone in wondering why their 'work ethic' players have not been picked. I will throw Aiden Tolman into the mix in the period after 2010. Long minute workers do not get much of a look in for NSW. Instead we go for 'superstars' such as Phil Duke, Ziggy Niszczot, Tony Melrose, Brett Finch, Jarrod Mullen.... Oh the pain. Origin is now less than 4 weeks away.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:21 am
Seiffert82 wrote:Any halfback that goes down there now has missed the boat by about 10 seasons.
Ah yes, that’s right, because the Storm are just about to miss the finals... any... season... now, right Seiff?
Dunno if I've ever tipped them to miss the finals (maybe I have), however they'll be competitive while Cameron Smith is wearing boots.

The clock's definitely ticking in Stormtown.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 10, 2018, 7:11 am
The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:21 am
Seiffert82 wrote:Any halfback that goes down there now has missed the boat by about 10 seasons.
Ah yes, that’s right, because the Storm are just about to miss the finals... any... season... now, right Seiff?
Dunno if I've ever tipped them to miss the finals (maybe I have), however they'll be competitive while Cameron Smith is wearing boots.

The clock's definitely ticking in Stormtown.
Haha you used to say it was while they had the "Big 4". Then once Inglis left is was as long as they had the "Big 3". Then, when Slater got injured for two seasons and they were still dominant (made the grand final even), it was because of Cronk and Smith.

Now it's just Smith? Still don't want to give any credit to Bellamy? Fair enough.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The thing that gives this credence, is that while the NSW experts cant find places for the Raiders, the QLD ones can.

Pretty sure Mal and Wally were particularly vocal on the likes of Tongue, Fenno and Croker.

BTW, I have no quarms about Freddie picking a very Dragons flavor to his side this yr. They are good players in form, in a team winning the comp.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Munster is either leaving or moving into the fullback permanently at Storm.

I would think it’s more likely Storm don’t think that 2 rookies in the halves is the best option and want Sezer to balance out with some experience.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote: May 10, 2018, 12:01 pm The thing that gives this credence, is that while the NSW experts cant find places for the Raiders, the QLD ones can.

Pretty sure Mal and Wally were particularly vocal on the likes of Tongue, Fenno and Croker.

BTW, I have no quarms about Freddie picking a very Dragons flavor to his side this yr. They are good players in form, in a team winning the comp.
It's just a bit of lip service from QLDers. Nickman has piped up to make this claim - who do you omit from the sides Nickman? Would you leave out Inglis, Gagai, Morgan, Holmes, O'Neill, Milford for Croker.

Who loses out to Fenno and Tongue in the QLD sides?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote:The thing that gives this credence, is that while the NSW experts cant find places for the Raiders, the QLD ones can.

NSW for so long have picked teams based on reputation and media hype. The form of the Dragons players stand out this year so they can do a lot worse than loading the Blues with those guys.

The only problem for them is the guys who are the driving force behind the Dragons are Hunt and Widdop. Neither will be representing NSW.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

scotchberry wrote: May 10, 2018, 12:07 pm

Munster is either leaving or moving into the fullback permanently at Storm.

I would think it’s more likely Storm don’t think that 2 rookies in the halves is the best option and want Sezer to balance out with some experience.
Yes, potentially as a replacement for Munster in the halves but that's not what the article suggested.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

That's true NR, but I'm hoping Maloney can stay fit. He has proved he has what it takes for Origin. I am hoping young Cleary can convince the selectors of his fitness in time. It will be interesting to see how the ST.George contingent go at the next level. They are in form and should be full of confidence. But then again so was Mitchell Pearce year after year. Matches in Melboure, Sydney and Brisbane this year.

How did this thread about Aiden Sezer get turned into an Origin discussion. Possible link?? I've seen worse in the sky blue.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RedRaider wrote: May 10, 2018, 1:22 pm That's true NR about NSW, but I'm hoping Maloney can stay fit. He has proved he has what it takes for Origin. I am hoping young Cleary can convince the selectors of his fitness in time. It will be interesting to see how the ST.George contingent go at the next level. They are in form and should be full of confidence. But then again so was Mitchell Pearce year after year. Matches in Melboure, Sydney and Brisbane this year.

How did this thread about Aiden Sezer get turned into an Origin discussion. Possible link?? I've seen worse in the sky blue.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2018, 9:43 pm I forgot about Fensom. He would’ve played for Queensland by now if he was born north of the border too.

I said it all along back in the days when Ben Creagh was lining up for NSW every game to run away from fights: if Alan Tongue were a Queenslander he’d have twenty origins by now, it Ben Creagh were one he’d have none
Since when does being born north of the border have anything to do with it ? :hmmm