Luke Bateman re-signs

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Luke Bateman re-signs

Post by boydy80 »

As long as he's cheap enough, fine. That is all.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Not a fan of this signing. Yep he fills a hole in the Raiders pack but he's never going to be a premiership player. He would never crack the current St George pack or the 2017 Melbourne pack. We need to be signing players who are either top class or have potential to become top class. Bateman is a plodder.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Pigman wrote: May 7, 2018, 8:53 pm
BJ wrote: May 7, 2018, 8:19 pm He will be in big demand next year........ if he develops a passing game, late offload, sidestep and hole running ability.
Or if Paulo, Boyd and Papalii leave and he plays 50+ minutes a game and by virtue of sheer minutes and possessions, he averages 100+ metres, and 30 odd tackles, which is not beyond him at all. His impact is limited, his motor is not. The old Shaun Fensom method rings true.

If he gets the minutes he probably thinks he will, his deal in 12 months time will trump this one by some margin.
I agree with this but it's not uncommon these days for players to upgrade and extend their contracts mid way through their contract when they are playing well. Think maloney, Cody walker, even hodgo I believe. Its almost as though the football club carries all the downside. I'm very pleased it's only for 1 year and I hope bateman evolves into a player who demands much more $. I guess the other pleasing aspect is that we are clearly not paying him overs based on potential which is a club killer just ask hasler
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

raiderskater wrote: May 7, 2018, 10:02 pm I'm so pleased. I know there are a few knockers, but I like him; he puts in 100% every week, and while he's not the biggest forward he always tries to play like one, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. He's a good bench forward and he definitely has the ticker. Add to that he's a cheap buy and I think he's very good value for the club.
I agree with you raiderskater I think he is good value for the club. He is now thinking more about his positioning off the ball too. He has the mobility to cover a lot of ground and the ability to play long minutes should that be required. Now that the interchange is down to 8 per match with the prospect of it being lowered again (not that long ago it was 12), players like Bateman with their big motors will become more in demand.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Old mate NRL Whispers says there is a option for 2020. I’ve asked if the option is in favour of the player or the club, let’s see what he makes up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Billy Walker wrote:Not a fan of this signing. Yep he fills a hole in the Raiders pack but he's never going to be a premiership player. He would never crack the current St George pack or the 2017 Melbourne pack. We need to be signing players who are either top class or have potential to become top class. Bateman is a plodder.
Melbourne are well known for taking average players like Bateman and having them play a perfect role in their team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I'm happy enough with the signing. Ay times this year I thought he offered nothing and should be dropped, at other times I think he's been solid.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bateman has improved the past month. Just as Papalii has.

Time to give this guy a break.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I don’t understand why some people don’t like him.

Here is a guy that has come through our system, been captain of our under 20s and has developed into a very consistent first grader. He puts in 100% each week and very rarely makes a mistake. He is not a superstar but has never pretended to be. There has never been a hint of issues off field and he has never played the Queensland homesick card.

What I don’t get is people like Josh Miller, Alan Tongue and Shaun Fensom were fan favourites. This guy is the modern version of that and he is derided by many.

Makes no sense.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Bay53 wrote: May 8, 2018, 8:20 am I don’t understand why some people don’t like him.

Here is a guy that has come through our system, been captain of our under 20s and has developed into a very consistent first grader. He puts in 100% each week and very rarely makes a mistake. He is not a superstar but has never pretended to be. There has never been a hint of issues off field and he has never played the Queensland homesick card.

What I don’t get is people like Josh Miller, Alan Tongue and Shaun Fensom were fan favourites. This guy is the modern version of that and he is derided by many.

Makes no sense.
With respect to Bateman, he is not as good as those guys.

I'm also happy with the re-signing though, at the right price. I like the way he's been used recently, second half spells to freshen up the middle.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't get it either Bay.

I'm not a massive fan of Bateman, but he doesn't deserve the criticism he gets sometimes.

I think it's just a group perception. Add you've pointed out, similar style players gain mass fan appeal and support. I think it's because we tend to love an underdog, a player who tries his guts out and puts in 100% every time he plays. This player isn't always the biggest, best, fastest or fanciest but players love him and fans admire him. That's all those players you mention.

With Bateman, I think it's a sign of frustration. He came in with Pangai, Barnett who are players with more ability. They left. He stayed. It looks like we got "the dud", so he gets a lot of crap.

Fact is, he didn't bail like Pangai when uncle Wayne called, he didn't cause havoc off field like Barnett..... he just did his job.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Bay, I feel we have a turned the corner since those days. We had a period where we had 100% heart and 25% talent across the board and these players were the fan favourites. They were because they were work horses. Because the "talent" was either always injured, suspended, being sacked or just not there. And that era although a massively passionate period of our lives, one that delivered ZERO of the spoils.

We are now in a different era. An era where we have an abundance of talent, an era where we feel the tide is turning and the spoils are or were not too far away. Every club needs toilers, but a one dimensional player like Bateman who's ability lands him in the HIA bin more often than not is not a player you can get behind anymore. It reminds me of an era I'd rather move on from. And I speak for myself here of course, but I see no growth or change in his game being possible. I even said he was a poor man's Josh Miller in my post above. Runs straight, barely bends the line, has no step, no offload no variance and regulalry ends up dead.

When you have a coach that cannot develop players, you need players than can develop themselves. Players that can add more to their game. Bateman to me is just another Wighton in the "Ricky's favourite" stable where he can do no wrong regardless of having never developed into the player everyone expected him to be and gets a run regardless. It infuriates me. I want players that can offer something, and in my depth I want juniors that aren't still there on "potential" 6 season later, or are not a risk of permanent head injury because they have heart but no technique, talent or ability. We need toilers, but toilers with an extra dimension. Toilers with the ability to make the oppostion question what they will do, not just know they will run straight, get smashed and we will be a man down on the bench from then.

I cannot do the Miller, Tongue, Fensom, Thurling, Jones, Picker, etc life again with Bateman. I just can't. If we were coached by Craig Bellamy, I could. He works players in the right areas and creates talent from nothing. Ricky does not, can not and will not. You simply cannot have Bateman's in Stuart teams.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: May 7, 2018, 6:17 pm Good news. As shown when the team turns up, Luke is not our problem.
This is a very good point. The last fifteen months, when the team has criminally underperformed, there's been much bigger issues with the team than Luke Bateman. In fact, if the rest of the team put in like Bateman every week, we would've played finals last season and be entrenched in the 8 now.

Over the past month, when the collective team gets their heads in the game, Luke Bateman has shown to fit into a solidly performing side quite well.

I'm happy with this re-signing. Every team needs Luke Batemans on their books. They cant all be Tapines in a salary cap world.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Last couple of weeks has shown where Bateman is most effective. Coming on for the final quarter of the game to provide a bit of energy and high work rate when the other forwards are starting to fatigue. His defensive efforts in the last 20 mind against the Cowboys went a long way to helping us win that game.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Were people this stoked when we re-signed Terry Martin? Because this is what this is.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: May 8, 2018, 10:17 am Were people this stoked when we re-signed Terry Martin? Because this is what this is.
Terry Martin with a dash of Darren Porter about him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Luke Bateman re-signs

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote: May 7, 2018, 6:17 pm Good news. As shown when the team turns up, Luke is not our problem.
This is a very good point. The last fifteen months, when the team has criminally underperformed, there's been much bigger issues with the team than Luke Bateman. In fact, if the rest of the team put in like Bateman every week, we would've played finals last season and be entrenched in the 8 now.

Over the past month, when the collective team gets their heads in the game, Luke Bateman has shown to fit into a solidly performing side quite well.

I'm happy with this re-signing. Every team needs Luke Batemans on their books. They cant all be Tapines in a salary cap world.
I agree there have bigger issues with the team. I also agree every team does need Luke Bateman’s... but as depth. He wouldn’t be top 17 at most clubs. He no doubt works hard and puts in and seems like a very nice young bloke. I’m sure he’s a good influence in the club and at training. Does a lot of tackles but not enough impact in attack or defence for mine.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I disagree he wouldn’t be top 17 at most clubs.

I think there are plenty of players of his ilk in the NRL. The question of course is what are they getting paid? If Bateo is on big money then that would be a mistake but as someone who plays nearly every week he deserves more than minimum.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 8, 2018, 10:32 am
edwahu wrote: May 8, 2018, 10:17 am Were people this stoked when we re-signed Terry Martin? Because this is what this is.
I reckon he will be a 10 year player at the level Trevor Thurling was for 2-3 years.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2018, 10:45 am
The Nickman wrote:

I agree there have bigger issues with the team. I also agree every team does need Luke Bateman’s... but as depth. He wouldn’t be top 17 at most clubs. He no doubt works hard and puts in and seems like a very nice young bloke. I’m sure he’s a good influence in the club and at training. Does a lot of tackles but not enough impact in attack or defence for mine.

I am endlessly fascinated in GE's long held and continued hatred of Luke Bateman
I've never see him openly trash a player so consistently like this. Even Buttriss and McCrone were never subjected to the level of consistent passive aggressive **** canning that Bateman cops from GE.
Genuinely it's great :lol:
Last edited by Botman on May 8, 2018, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote:I disagree he wouldn’t be top 17 at most clubs.

I think there are plenty of players of his ilk in the NRL. The question of course is what are they getting paid? If Bateo is on big money then that would be a mistake but as someone who plays nearly every week he deserves more than minimum.
But that’s the issue, we should have better options for top 17.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Pigman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2018, 10:45 am
The Nickman wrote:

I am endlessly fascinated in GE's long held and continued hatred of Luke Bateman
I've never see him openly trash a player so consistently like this. Even Buttriss and McCrone were never subjected to the level of consistent passive aggressive **** canning that Bateman cops from GE.
Genuinely it's great Image
I enjoy his invective toward Bateman.

It's a refreshing change to mine against Jack and Ricky.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2018, 11:30 am

I'm with Sean on this one. Bateman would make the 17 at plenty of clubs, he has a role to play. If you expect everyone in your 17 to be better than Bateman, your'e being completely unrealistic and you're going to have a bad time.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I honestly don't understand this thread.

You don't ever get to have a whole team to superstars. Bateman is an honest toiler and as I think he displayed by accepting only a one year deal, there's no way he's making big money with us.

You have to fill a certain number of spots on the roster and I can't see any rising talent that he's stopping from making the team.

I just can't see how we've lost anything here.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 8, 2018, 11:56 am I honestly don't understand this thread.

You don't ever get to have a whole team to superstars. Bateman is an honest toiler and as I think he displayed by accepting only a one year deal, there's no way he's making big money with us.

You have to fill a certain number of spots on the roster and I can't see any rising talent that he's stopping from making the team.

I just can't see how we've lost anything here.
Haha it's absolute madness that people can have this opinion on someone who gives his all everytime he's on the field.

I'm surprised at you most of all, Fergus. All I can assume is he stole your carpark behind the Meninga Stand once.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Confirmed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote: May 8, 2018, 11:10 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 8, 2018, 10:32 am
I reckon he will be a 10 year player at the level Trevor Thurling was for 2-3 years.
Thurling was a very underrated player imo, retired way too early. Bateman has a long way to go to reach his level before you can start the clock on that 10 years.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 8, 2018, 12:09 pm Image

Confirmed.
Great work, TR. :roll:

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Classic TR

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Captain Punish wrote: May 8, 2018, 11:33 am I enjoy his invective...
I think you better look up the meaning of the word invective... you engage in it regularly, whereas I do not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Luke Bateman: I didn't want to go anywhere else

Luke Bateman was delighted to extend his stay with the Club until the end of 2019 and admitted to the media at Raiders HQ that he told his manager that he didn't want to go anywhere.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... here-else/
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

This signing is clearly a stop gap for a year until better forwards become available. There are some better options after 2019 for the raiders to sign.

This also give bateman a year to prove he should be signed post 2019. He is an ok player, but doesn't have the X-factor that other do. He reminds me of J.Thompson, good, solid, but nothing extraordinary.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 8, 2018, 12:27 pm
T_R wrote: May 8, 2018, 12:09 pm Image

Confirmed.
Great work, TR. :roll:
Your loss. Mine was very funny.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Relax-init wrote:This signing is clearly a stop gap for a year until better forwards become available. There are some better options after 2019 for the raiders to sign.

This also give bateman a year to prove he should be signed post 2019. He is an ok player, but doesn't have the X-factor that other do. He reminds me of J.Thompson, good, solid, but nothing extraordinary.
Yeah, clearly the Raiders using him as a stop-gap.

You didn't read the bit about how Canberra wanted him long term, and Bateman was the one that went for 1 year, did you?