Sharks 13+
15%

Total votes: 20

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Re: 2018 Rd 10 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Brewdle »

Imagine the outrage! I’ve got one mate that is indignant at the cultural appropriation of the whole Viking thing by the Raiders, he’d blow a gasket if the horn fired up the didg :))

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead wary of Cronulla Sharks threat

Elliott Whitehead was full of praise for Raiders Prop Shannon Boyd as the Cowra Magpies Junior gets set to play his 100th NRL game for the Raiders this weekend against the Cronulla Sharks at GIO Stadium.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... ks-threat/

Video: Raiders v Sharks - Round 10 - Zac Bailey and Matt Elliott preview: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... -v-sharks/

Shannon Boyd to celebrate 100th Match on Mother's Day: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... thers-day/

Coach the Coaches Night: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... hes-night/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brewdle wrote: May 11, 2018, 6:57 pm Imagine the outrage! I’ve got one mate that is indignant at the cultural appropriation of the whole Viking thing by the Raiders, he’d blow a gasket if the horn fired up the didg :))

Sounds like a barrell of laughs.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

But with the (slight) majority crowd as ango-saxon Australians of British descent- who share Saxon heritage ("Germans" who followed Norse gods and were culturally more connected to the Danes than any other part of Europe), Viking (the Northern half of England which was ruled by the Vikings in the Danelaw for decades/centuries? therefore legitimate heirs to Viking culture including dozens if not hundreds of shared words) and then conquered by the Normans (e.g Northmen, or again-Viking descendants ) then maybe your mate should just learn some history or stop being outraged so easily?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Brewdle wrote:Imagine the outrage! I’ve got one mate that is indignant at the cultural appropriation of the whole Viking thing by the Raiders, he’d blow a gasket if the horn fired up the didg :))

Boy I hate this wave of outrage over cultural appropriation.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Everything outrages this dude, the rant he delivered after seeing the last Star Wars movie was glorious in its absurdity

Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

BadnMean wrote: May 11, 2018, 11:54 pm But with the (slight) majority crowd as ango-saxon Australians of British descent- who share Saxon heritage ("Germans" who followed Norse gods and were culturally more connected to the Danes than any other part of Europe), Viking (the Northern half of England which was ruled by the Vikings in the Danelaw for decades/centuries? therefore legitimate heirs to Viking culture including dozens if not hundreds of shared words) and then conquered by the Normans (e.g Northmen, or again-Viking descendants ) then maybe your mate should just learn some history or stop being outraged so easily?
When people are outraged these days, facts are never considered!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Finchy wrote:
Timbo wrote: May 9, 2018, 10:03 am
Humphrey B Flaubert wrote: May 8, 2018, 9:48 pm Old Edrick Scissorhands returns to bruce. My edrick doll that was available from coles back in the day is still on the floor behind my TV from the moment he dropped that ball against the storm in the finals. I suspect he’ll have a blinder :roflmao
My Edrick doll was locked in the microwave after that.
People always mention the "dropped ball" (singular). I'm sure he dropped at least 5 balls in that game.
Eddie dropped 5 balls every game.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

El_Capitano wrote: May 11, 2018, 2:35 pm Stormy Daniels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol:
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

gangrenous wrote: May 12, 2018, 7:46 am
Brewdle wrote:Imagine the outrage! I’ve got one mate that is indignant at the cultural appropriation of the whole Viking thing by the Raiders, he’d blow a gasket if the horn fired up the didg :))

Anything like the wave of colonialism that appropriated those cultures?
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Boomercm wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:02 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2018, 10:09 am
Timbo wrote: May 9, 2018, 10:03 am
Humphrey B Flaubert wrote: May 8, 2018, 9:48 pm Old Edrick Scissorhands returns to bruce. My edrick doll that was available from coles back in the day is still on the floor behind my TV from the moment he dropped that ball against the storm in the finals. I suspect he’ll have a blinder :roflmao
My Edrick doll was locked in the microwave after that.
People always mention the "dropped ball" (singular). I'm sure he dropped at least 5 balls in that game.
the most costly drop of Eddie's in that finals series was his drop early on in the game vs. the sharks (from a Croker pass, which should make it memorable lol). We were towelling them at the time and if he had caught it we win by 20... and get the Sharks dream run through the finals. He dropped it, they got into the grind (and offside) and the rest is history.
Correct. For some reason hardly anyone remembers that though. He catches that we win the comp. Were up 12-0 would've been 18-0, the sharks weren't running us down from there. We would've had the week off then Penrith or Cows in Sydney in the prelim. As opposed to Melb in Melb. Everyone remembers the storm drop but we were absolutley busted by then, had we made the gf we'd have had 4 or 5 out and been pumped.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I get the Papa v Gal thing but i'm glad Gal is probably out. They're obviously a better side with him in it and they'll probably have to bring in Kurt Dillon to replace him. A kid with 2 FG games under his belt.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

El_Capitano wrote: May 11, 2018, 2:35 pm Stormy Daniels?

:lol: :lol: sensational
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

bleedgreen99 wrote:

Honestly not as much. That’s what happened and try as you may it’s not going anywhere. The people responsible are gone. Yep, it sucked. Yes you do what you can to repair entrenched inequality that grew from it.

People whining about inconsequential ****. That is now and it irritates me. I think it actually makes things worse to say people can only participate in, or comment on, things rooted from their genetic culture. I don’t think that promotes understanding or diversity.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders set to be 1-17 for tomorrow’s clash with Cronulla Sharks

The Canberra Raiders are set to be 1-17 for tomorrow’s clash with the Cronulla Sharks after all four reserves, Liam Knight, Michael Oldfield, Craig Garvey and Jack Murchie were included in the Mounties final squad today. Craig Garvey and Jack Murchie were the players omitted by the Raiders on Saturday afternoon, leaving Knight and Oldfield to cover any late issues.

For the Sharks, Jayson Bukuya has been ruled out with illness, with Kyle Flanagan the other player omitted on Saturday afternoon.

Canberra Raiders

1 Jack Wighton, 2 Nick Cotric, 3 Jarrod Croker (c), 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Aidan Sezer, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Siliva Havili, 10 Shannon Boyd, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

Interchange: 14 Ata Hingano, 15 Luke Bateman, 16 Charlie Gubb, 17 Dunamis Lui
Reserves: 18 Liam Knight, 19 Michael Oldfield

Cronulla Sharks

1 Valentine Holmes, 2 Sosaia Feki, 3 Jesse Ramien, 4 Ricky Leutele, 5 Edrick Lee, 6 Matt Moylan, 7 Chad Townsend, 8 Andrew Fifita, 9 Jayden Brailey, 10 Matt Prior, 11 Kurt Capewell, 14 Joseph Paulo, 13 Paul Gallen (c)

Interchange: 15 James Segeyaro, 16 Avagalu Seumanufagai, 17 Jack Williams, 18 Kurt Dillion
Reserves: 19 Braden Uele, 20 Briton Nikora
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mums, Nans and Great Nans for tomorrow. I hope you are all spoiled with love. :thumbsup
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart honours the women behind the Canberra Raiders

There will be some new faces in the change rooms before the Raiders take on the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Mother's Day tomorrow. Wives, partners and mothers have been invited into the rooms and they will play a "big part" in the final part of coach Ricky Stuart's presentation before the Raiders march onto the field.

"I’m very fortunate, I know how important a role it is that mothers, your wife, and your children play in the daily life of being a coach or a player," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zewe.html

Video: Round 10: The Final Word: Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart has previewed tomorrow's clash against the Cronulla Sharks at GIO Stadium: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... inal-word/

Gallery: Round 10 Captain's Run: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... tains-run/

Video: Canberra Raiders show support for RMHC Canberra: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... -canberra/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prepare to see double as Paul Gallen eyes return

Paul Gallen has been named in Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan's 19-man squad but may not survive the final cull with questions hovering over from his fitness as he returns from a knee injury. Stuart says the Raiders are still preparing for the Sharks veteran to play, and if he doesn't there will still be a Gallen running around in the capital.

"I know he is going to be here because he has asked me to help his young bloke out being a ball boy, so I said ‘anything mate, if he wears a Raiders jumper he can do what he wants’," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zexb.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders keeping Kato Ottio's dream alive

The Raiders were rocked when Kato Ottio died of heatstroke in January, two days before he was due to fly to England to join the Super League's Widnes Vikings. Now the club is paying tribute to Ottio through its indigenous round jerseys, which will bear his name on the inside collar when the Raiders face the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

"It’s awesome that the club can promote and take one step further in doing this for Kato and keeping his dream alive, making it more of a reality," Sia Soliola said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zewd.html
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

And Lee will probably catch the final pass of the game to score and beat the Raiders.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

gangrenous wrote: May 12, 2018, 1:13 pm
bleedgreen99 wrote:

Honestly not as much. That’s what happened and try as you may it’s not going anywhere. The people responsible are gone. Yep, it sucked. Yes you do what you can to repair entrenched inequality that grew from it.

People whining about inconsequential ****. That is now and it irritates me. I think it actually makes things worse to say people can only participate in, or comment on, things rooted from their genetic culture. I don’t think that promotes understanding or diversity.
The problem is the people responsible are most definitely NOT gone and the outcome of their actions are definitely still felt, 50 years ago aboriginals were still considered fauna ****. Cultural appropriation is an insult to those cultures that have suffered and are STILL suffering today. You can say it's not our fault but the reality is it's our responsibility to ensure the mistakes of the past are not repeated. And if we continue to treat other "lesser" cultures like a joke, better or worse than our ancestors, then we'll just be having the same conversation in another 50 years
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance

Post by Organised Chaos »

bleedgreen99 wrote:
bleedgreen99 wrote:

The problem is the people responsible are most definitely NOT gone and the outcome of their actions are definitely still felt, 50 years ago aboriginals were still considered fauna ****. Cultural appropriation is an insult to those cultures that have suffered and are STILL suffering today. You can say it's not our fault but the reality is it's our responsibility to ensure the mistakes of the past are not repeated. And if we continue to treat other "lesser" cultures like a joke, better or worse than our ancestors, then we'll just be having the same conversation in another 50 years

Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Goobeeful »

Paul Gallen is out
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

bleedgreen99 wrote: May 13, 2018, 1:29 pm
bleedgreen99 wrote:

Killer Mike was on real time talking about cultural appropriation. He says it is all about respect and acknowledgement. Rolling Stones is appropriate cultural appropriation, Elvis isn't.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2018 Rd 10 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

bleedgreen99 wrote:
bleedgreen99 wrote:

You’re shifting the goalposts. You asked me about the wave of colonialism and when I answered that shifted to indirect consequences from it.

Who said we should treat other cultures as lesser or a joke?