Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Sezer close to re-signing

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: May 2, 2018, 11:13 am
The Nickman wrote:
raiderskater wrote: May 1, 2018, 10:10 pm This is really all very simple.

Blake, you can run, step, dummy, take penalty kicks and dropouts. Have some fun. And then when it's time to kick, give the ball to Aidan. Aidan calls the shots. Josh, same to you. You can give your standard service out of dummy half, have a few scoots and runs, but let Aidan call the shots.

Then we could keep all three and it would be fine.
That's some pretty good advice, but I would add that he still needs to pass more and dummy less. The blokes outside him fair dinkum catch a cold most nights.

And dummying less will make it even more effective too.
I've said before, Austin and Leilua need each other. Austin's show and go is so much more effective with BJ as the dummy receiver because he's such a dangerous early ball guy, BJ is more dangerous himself if the opposition know they can't early slide to him due to Austin's show and go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Agreed, but Austin still needs to dummy less. Probably about 50% is the right amount. Right now he dummies about 80% of the time.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

I wonder whether this is the club’s recognition of the game shifting towards more mobile props - In which case conceding Vaughn’s release was a mistake...

Or we literally have no hope of retaining Boyd and Paulo on the coin they’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:Sezer and Bateman are Canberra Raiders re-signing priorities

Of the 13 players off-contract with Canberra this season, half Aidan Sezer and lock Luke Bateman are the club’s priority retentions. Sezer is in advanced talks to sign off on a new two-year-deal. Sia Soliola turns 32 in August but the Raiders are hopeful of extending his stay at least another season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ac706bf762
Exactly what is wrong with this club. We have some big names coming off contract and we are focused on Bateman! Figures, stick probably giving him rediculas money as well

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I think you’ll find he’s probably the easiest to re-sign, and of course they are going to spin it as a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

El_Capitano wrote: May 2, 2018, 2:17 pm I think you’ll find he’s probably the easiest to re-sign, and of course they are going to spin it as a win.

Exactly.

They wont release a presser saying - 'we've likely to lose our x2 best props because other teams are offering them ridiculous money' if they are genuinely still in negotiations. Bateman 'should' be a cost effective bench option with a lot of first grade experience, and relatively easy to re-sign. Just because they have made it a priority doesn't mean they see him as their big money option leading our pack, its just that we have the chance to re-sign an experienced player who busts his **** for us - that great depth right there. Make it a priority to sign him up.

Its not rocket science.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

RedRaider wrote: May 2, 2018, 7:00 am raiderskater, no mention of defence on Blake's 'To Do' list. He is already fulfilling that.
I work with that as a given for everyone. But he was much better on Saturday.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Coastalraider wrote:
El_Capitano wrote: May 2, 2018, 2:17 pm I think you’ll find he’s probably the easiest to re-sign, and of course they are going to spin it as a win.

Exactly.

They wont release a presser saying - 'we've likely to lose our x2 best props because other teams are offering them ridiculous money' if they are genuinely still in negotiations. Bateman 'should' be a cost effective bench option with a lot of first grade experience, and relatively easy to re-sign. Just because they have made it a priority doesn't mean they see him as their big money option leading our pack, its just that we have the chance to re-sign an experienced player who busts his **** for us - that great depth right there. Make it a priority to sign him up.

Its not rocket science.
It just shows the state of the club. You don’t see other clubs talking up there signings of tier 2 players. Only us

Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

The Nickman wrote: May 2, 2018, 9:30 am
raiderskater wrote: May 1, 2018, 10:10 pm This is really all very simple.

Blake, you can run, step, dummy, take penalty kicks and dropouts. Have some fun. And then when it's time to kick, give the ball to Aidan. Aidan calls the shots. Josh, same to you. You can give your standard service out of dummy half, have a few scoots and runs, but let Aidan call the shots.

Then we could keep all three and it would be fine.
That's some pretty good advice, but I would add that he still needs to pass more and dummy less. The blokes outside him fair dinkum catch a cold most nights.

And dummying less will make it even more effective too.

And run to the line before he passes!
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Sezer close to re-signing

Post by El_Capitano »

LastRaider wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

Exactly.

Its not rocket science.
It just shows the state of the club. You don’t see other clubs talking up there signings of tier 2 players. Only us

I think you’ll find every club sprukes every signing...

How soon IS now?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Also that we've already moved at signing those big names. Sezer, Papalii are already reported as "almost there". Boyd and Paulo have had offers made and are looking elsewhere for more.
All that re-signing work happened before this article touting Bateman as our top priority.
Sometimes it seems like people are just looking at something to be angry at rather than sitting back and thinking about it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: May 2, 2018, 9:53 pm
Also that we've already moved at signing those big names. Sezer, Papalii are already reported as "almost there". Boyd and Paulo have had offers made and are looking elsewhere for more.
All that re-signing work happened before this article touting Bateman as our top priority.
Sometimes it seems like people are just looking at something to be angry at rather than sitting back and thinking about it.
Honestly, if I could only choose 2 out of Paulo, Boyd, Sezer and Paps, it'd be the last 2, so I'll be VERY happy if this happens.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

The Nickman wrote:
Honestly, if I could only choose 2 out of Paulo, Boyd, Sezer and Paps, it'd be the last 2, so I'll be VERY happy if this happens.
I’m with you nickman, a big lumbering forward pack hasn’t worked for a year and a bit now, it’s time for something different.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

CJ42 wrote: May 3, 2018, 10:48 am
The Nickman wrote:
I’m with you nickman, a big lumbering forward pack hasn’t worked for a year and a bit now, it’s time for something different.

Yea can't disagree, A massive pack yet the only time we make real metres is when our outside backs do the work for them
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, with the ruck and 10 metres cleaning up a bit and the increase in penalties the refs have really brought the more mobile forwards back into it. The only risk for us is whether they keep it up next year.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Sezer close to re-signing

Post by CJ42 »

kiwi raider wrote:
CJ42 wrote: May 3, 2018, 10:48 am
The Nickman wrote:

Yea can't disagree, A massive pack yet the only time we make real metres is when our outside backs do the work for them
100%, our back five all absolutely munched dirty yards, dummy half runs and kick returns in 2016, big boys rocked up for some hit ups on a retreating defensive line late in the set and were devastating.

Our best go forward sets this year usually have our backline doing 4 dummy half runs Image
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Watching the way Sezer carries himself over recent weeks I feel like he could be turning the corner... he has clearly been given a clear role in the team and that is to run it.
He has ability and is a tough player. Good kicking game and great D! If he could improve his running game he would be a great 7.

He is still young.

I am not 100% sure what the right thing for the club here is... but my guess would be he would be a good gamble.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Is it just me or does sezer look like seth sentry?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

James Hooper reported on Triple M that this should be signed off this week
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Goodie. :? :|
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I’m so torn over him.

Great defender for a half.
Has some pretty good all round skills and decent kicking game.

But just plays so dumb sometimes for a half. Lacks composure and direction at key moments almost always.

How old is he?
Maybe he grows into that older head style play maker ...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

to me sezer is a good hard nsw cup player. Deep down we all know it.

You need one quality player in your halves and we do not have it.

Our spine is the most garbage in the nrl by a decent margin.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I don't understand how anyone could be torn. Seriously, this guy's good games are just an average performance from any other half in the comp.
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

If he doesn’t get a stint in Mounties after his past two weeks, we must be readying a 10-year deal.
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

magoo wrote: May 11, 2018, 7:33 pm Is it just me or does sezer look like seth sentry?
Sezer would come back on stage for the encore and forget the lyrics to his biggest songs.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The only thing torn is the hair on my head, having to watch him play for us.

Marc Herbert, McCrone, Orford, Campese, Sezer.

We can pick a good halfback can’t we!

How can Ricky possibly have any confidence that Sezer is going to steer us to a premiership, from what we’ve seen in the last 2 seasons.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

One point I want to make is that it's a massive cop out to blame Stuart for Sezer's form. Debate his record with halves all you want, that's fine. In fact I would blame a lot of Austin's form on Stuart using him the wrong way from 2016 onwards and not playing to his strengths.

This is not the case for Sezer though. He does not have the skill or talent for it. He has had countless opportunities to step up and guide us to victory in his time here, yet he fails over and over again. He's isn't being used the wrong way, this is the way he plays. You can only coach a guy so much who has no feel for the game, or vision, and who doesn't have the instincts of a proper halfback.

He looks like a half because it looks pretty when he kicks and passes, that's it. Textbook technique, I'll give him that. That doesn't make you a decent footballer though. Unfortunately that seems to deceive a helluva lot of people.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ill go on record here.

Sezer is worth another contract.

I believe he's worth the investment.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Not a contradiction at all. The coaching side of it and management side of it are two different things.

If he re-signs him, it's piss poor management as he's basically disregarding one of his biggest problem areas/unable to identify upgrades.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I meant strictly hands on coaching in my original post, because whenever the topic of Stuart and halves is raised it's inevitable that people make implications that he coaches halves to be worse players. To me the fact that Sezer is playing garbage/is garbage is wholly on himself and his lack of ability, not Stuart.

What is on Stuart is his decision to sign him, his decision to persist with him, and it'll be his fault if he re-sign him. The fact that he doesn't seem to be able to address the issue properly is alarming - it killed us last season and it's killing us again this season. It's almost just as alarming that a number of our fans still seem to think that isn't a major problem on the field.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hope its for about 300k.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Our #9 is the best #7 we've had in a generation.

That's so depressing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It really is a giant #2
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

kris-ko wrote: May 20, 2018, 4:24 pm
magoo wrote: May 11, 2018, 7:33 pm Is it just me or does sezer look like seth sentry?
Sezer would come back on stage for the encore and forget the lyrics to his biggest songs.
Agreed. But he does look like him
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

At this stage of the Stuart era it's hard to fathom how anyone isnt fully supportive of ditching our coach and BOTH halves.
At absolute best you'd sack the coach and make the replacement pound the table for one of them if he really feels strongly about salvaging them, but they'd REALLY had to sell. But i cant see any reason why a coach would saddle up with either of them, unless he was bringing an absolute superstar half with him and you're going to run the play entirely through that player, and need a cheap jersey filler

But boy i got a great laugh when i read asksdfjasja is comfortable with chalking up Austin's abysmal level of play (though today was probably his best defensive performance in his career. Made 3-4 perfect 1 on 1 tackles, shame he offered nothing else) down to misuse by the coach, but for Sezer it's just a lack of talent and ability. I mean he didnt stick the landing but you gotta give him points for the level of difficulty in those logical gymnastics.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

I would throw the absolute bank at Cleary. He is the only half I can see turning this club around. I don’t care what he costs give him 1.8million and tell Sezer he is playing next to him for 200k per year and quite frankly he should be thanking us for the opportunity.