Titans 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: 2018 Rd 9 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by magoo »

Now that Gus has said it publicly Sticky will never do it. I think it's a great idea. 1.Cotric 2.Croker 3.Wighton is worth exploring.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: April 29, 2018, 4:21 pm Titans again?

God we've had a piss easy schedule this season. Disgusting that we're not in the top 4
Our run home isn’t that great
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:56 am
PrimetimeRaider wrote: April 29, 2018, 4:21 pm Titans again?

God we've had a piss easy schedule this season. Disgusting that we're not in the top 4
Our run home isn’t that great

Its all good, we will peak for the finals as per the supercoaches master plan
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Putting my tips in... Which Raiders side is going to turn up next week? :hmmm
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Are we all thinking Supercoach will pick the same team?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

LastRaider wrote: May 1, 2018, 9:45 am Are we all thinking Supercoach will pick the same team?

I'm guessing he'll pick the team that lost against Souths, rather than the one that won against the Cowboys.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think if Boyd doesn’t start, it will be a clear indication he is out the door...

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

LastRaider wrote:I think if Boyd doesn’t start, it will be a clear indication he is out the door...

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

LastRaider wrote: May 1, 2018, 10:30 am I think if Boyd doesn’t start, it will be a clear indication he is out the door...
He hasn't started for 4 weeks now. Austin and Papalii were in reserve grade. Paulo wasn't starting for the first 4 weeks.
Seems to me it's just an indication of who Stick thinks is playing better. It's certainly not a clear indication of them leaving.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

I've given up on trying to guess at what Stick is thinking with selections, bench use etc. unfathomable!
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

It certainly wouldn't be a detailed game plan based on meticulous review of the strengths and weaknesses of both squads?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 11:11 am It certainly wouldn't be a detailed game plan based on meticulous review of the strengths and weaknesses of both squads?
You'd expect that to be the case of a professional NRL level coach yes, do I think that is the case with Stick... repeat Unfathomable.

I know I should flip back to loving the coach for getting the guys up for a win, but I just can't do it after one win and the inconsistent application from the start of the season.

Happy to eat my words (probably made from alphaghetti) at mid season if we're consistent from last week onwards... Again I just don't see it.

Just to qualify consistent, it doesn't mean we win every game (that's the wish), I define it as we show up each week with the same application as last week from the coach and players for the full 80 minutes.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Supershamrock wrote: May 1, 2018, 12:33 pm
reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 11:11 am It certainly wouldn't be a detailed game plan based on meticulous review of the strengths and weaknesses of both squads?
You'd expect that to be the case of a professional NRL level coach yes, do I think that is the case with Stick... repeat Unfathomable.

I know I should flip back to loving the coach for getting the guys up for a win, but I just can't do it after one win and the inconsistent application from the start of the season.

Happy to eat my words (probably made from alphaghetti) at mid season if we're consistent from last week onwards... Again I just don't see it.

Just to qualify consistent, it doesn't mean we win every game (that's the wish), I define it as we show up each week with the same application as last week from the coach and players for the full 80 minutes.
Well, yes. I'm not expecting that consistency either. It seems it comes either when they're the complete underdog, or just intermittently to prove a point.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

All I ask, is a better defensive effort than Rd 1.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Matt wrote: May 1, 2018, 1:01 pm All I ask, is a better defensive effort than Rd 1.
Either that, or continue scoring at a higher rate. I'd take a good defensive effort by preference, though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 1:40 pm
Matt wrote: May 1, 2018, 1:01 pm All I ask, is a better defensive effort than Rd 1.
Either that, or continue scoring at a higher rate. I'd take a good defensive effort by preference, though.
Haha, I realise you're probably joking, but I'd only accept the second one. Scoring points doesn't win you competitions, defence does. Everyone loves having the ball, but defence shows commitment, attitude and teamwork. And if you defend well, points invariably come.

I'd much rather win like against the Cowboys than win a game 42-36.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:33 am
Timbo wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:25 am
1992 wrote: April 29, 2018, 9:18 am Just thinking of how we lost the first 3, and especially game 1 makes me mad.

Anyway, if the boys show up (50/50) we can put a big score on them. Happy for the side to stick with their defensive mentality because against the Tits we can score a lot of points.
How different a lot of views on this season would be if we'd held on through those first three.
How different would the first three have been if we'd showed up with the attitude and commitment in defence as we did in three of the last four weeks.
Sticky denies it but the Raiders weren't NRL fit early in the season. To be run down three weeks in a row with the main squad only playing half a trial match was poor preparation for the season imo. It repeated the mistakes of 2017. But if there is one thing actually playing matches does is that it improves the fitness of the squad and against poorly performing sides allows us to compete for 80 minutes. Our wins have been against the bottom three sides in the NRL. I accept you can only beat what is put in front of you, but if we had have been able to play out the full 80 during those first 3 games our ladder position would look a lot healthier imo.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think they at last have the match fitness to play out 80 minutes Matt. My expectation is for a win, but side will have to each perform well to get up. If Hurrell is playing he will again be a problem for JC. I hope you have them opposite one another for your match ups.
Are you getting much sleep?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 1:51 pm
Haha, I realise you're probably joking, but I'd only accept the second one. Scoring points doesn't win you competitions, defence does. Everyone loves having the ball, but defence shows commitment, attitude and teamwork. And if you defend well, points invariably come.

Welcome to the 'defence-o-philes' Nickman. There are a number on here who get that we are often a top 8 attacking side but can't get our defensive act together to be regularly in the 8 or challenge for a title. It really comes down to the poor defensive performances year in year out. It is the toughest thing to get consistently right imo because opposition coaches are looking at new ways to break you down. But it is so vital to get right each and every match.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

RedRaider wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:25 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 1:51 pm

Welcome to the 'defence-o-philes' Nickman. There are a number on here who get that we are often a top 8 attacking side but can't get our defensive act together to be regularly in the 8 or challenge for a title. It really comes down to the poor defensive performances year in year out. It is the toughest thing to get consistently right imo because opposition coaches are looking at new ways to break you down. But it is so vital to get right each and every match.
Nicko was right, I was actually joking. I would much rather a good defensive win, not worried about being almost certainly being run down. I _WOULD_ accept both, though, winning 42-6 seems like a pretty darn good outcome.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I dont know what you're all on about - I would rather win 50-2.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

Self edit.
Was going for humour but just came out bleak as all get out, removed original post.
Last edited by Supershamrock on May 1, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Big Jack wrote: April 30, 2018, 10:58 pm Gus Gould on 100% Footy Tonight is saying he'd like to see Jack Wighton at left centre for NSW, but only if he was playing centre for Canberra. He must have been reading the Greenhouse
I saw this.
What I would try ... Rapana at fullback with Cotric on the wing partnering Leilua. Rapana loves to get involved and would love to see him backing up forward. He would make 200m+ every game. It is unbelievable how many times he just follows play in the middle of the park. Huge Rapana fan.

Also, Wighton is a pure athlete and would trouble most defenders on the line for sure. He isnt creative enough to play fullback.

Alternatively Croker to wing and Cotric to FB.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Titans

Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Saturday 5 May 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Raiders have named their team for the round nine match against the Gold Coast Titans at GIO Stadium.

The Raiders are unchanged from their win against the Cowboys in round eight.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Junior Paulo
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ata Hingano
15. Shannon Boyd
16. Luke Bateman
17. Dunamis Lui
18. Liam Knight
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Brad Abbey
21. Jack Murchie

Gold Coast Titans

1. Michael Gordon
2. Anthony Don
3. Brendan Elliot
4. Konrad Hurrell
5. Phillip Sami
6. Bryce Cartwright
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Ryan James ©
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Will Matthews
13. Jai Arrow

14. Max King
15. Jack Stockwell
16. Keegan Hipgrave
17. Ryan Simpkins
18. Leilani Latu
19. Moeaki Fotuaika
20. Brenko Lee
21. Kane Elgey

Officials:

Referees: Gavin Reynolds, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Jarrod Cole
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersTitans

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Coming

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Konrad Hurrell is excited...scores tries on Croker for fun...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: 2018 Rd 9 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

RedRaider wrote:
I think they at last have the match fitness to play out 80 minutes Matt. My expectation is for a win, but side will have to each perform well to get up. If Hurrell is playing he will again be a problem for JC. I hope you have them opposite one another for your match ups.
JC just needs to tackle around the legs. For some reason he tries for a first contact hit into the opposite players chest and that is where he goes wrong. He is to small for that and lacks physicality needed. It’s frustrating to watch. If he tries to do this against Hurrell he will get caught out... again!

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think you'll find Croker won't be isolated anywhere near as much defending next to Aidan Sezer.

How many times do you remember him being run over the top of in the last four weeks? It's like he's an entirely different person when defending next to Sezer rather than Austin/Williams.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The sooner Croker moves to the wing, the better.

He’s not utilised for his attacking game, doesn’t bother trying to make metres around the ruck as he’s not in the caliber of Cotric, BJ or Raps and there is a constant question mark on his defence.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Agreed regarding Croker’s defense nickman, he’s a really solid defender when he’s not trying to cover for a bad defensive half.
He’s looked bad in defense when he’s had busted campo, Williams and Austin next to him.
All others he’s been fine with.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hodgson's shadow is looming large for Canberra Raiders hooker Siliva Havili

It was the big question asked during Canberra's off-season - who would replace the injured Josh Hodgson? Enter Siliva Havili.

"Josh is back training now with us....it is good to have him around," Havili said of Hodgson's return. "I know he's going to come straight back into the team, so I just need to keep playing some good footy, so I can take a bench role.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/01/jos ... va-havili/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

CJ42 wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:53 pm Agreed regarding Croker’s defense nickman, he’s a really solid defender when he’s not trying to cover for a bad defensive half.
He’s looked bad in defense when he’s had busted campo, Williams and Austin next to him.
All others he’s been fine with.
Yup, it's noticeably different the whole left side of the field when Sezer defends there. Just no leaks at all.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Bryce Cartwright defending on the edge makes me happy in the pants.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

LastRaider wrote: May 1, 2018, 4:36 pm
RedRaider wrote:
JC just needs to tackle around the legs. For some reason he tries for a first contact hit into the opposite players chest and that is where he goes wrong. He is to small for that and lacks physicality needed. It’s frustrating to watch. If he tries to do this against Hurrell he will get caught out... again!

JC went for a HIA after a clash with Hurrell in the first match against the Titans this year. It has happened a number of times over the years. I will be interested see how JC goes this week. He looks bluffed by Hurrell. I think EW will be moving to his left, fast and often.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I think if we score more points we will win this game.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk