All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by dubby »

I wasn't aware fairies had a gender!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

You know the conversation has gone well off the tracks when you wind up wondering if androgynous fairies could even be homosexual or heterosexual!?

and even more confusing now I've gone down this obscure road... if their neither are they allowed to get married?

:shock: Had to edit my own post as the 'auto swear cover' (which I didn't even swear or make a slur) made my post look terrible.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Guys, guys, guys... this has all gone a fair bit off topic, so let me get this back on topic and clear it up once and for all.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my handshake. Been judged by quality peers in the top 10 percentile of handshakes.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

Great, now we're back on track..

What were the criteria measured for the quality of the handshake Nickman?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Firmness, Eye Contact, Moistness, Smoothness.

He was let down in the Moistness category.

"Did you just wash your hands."
"No."
"But you just walked out of the bathroom... stop smiling."
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

zim wrote: May 1, 2018, 10:49 am Firmness, Eye Contact, Moistness, Smoothness.

He was let down in the Moistness category.

"Did you just wash your hands."
"No."
"But you just walked out of the bathroom... stop smiling."
Must be a quality handshake to still be in the top 10 percentile of handshakes after the faux pah.

Congratulations Nickman, quality indeed!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:Guys, guys, guys... this has all gone a fair bit off topic, so let me get this back on topic and clear it up once and for all.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my handshake. Been judged by quality peers in the top 10 percentile of handshakes.
aspiring to the great heights of the GH's own Marco Schifty

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

HOW ABOUT THAT SPORTBALL TEAM?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote: May 1, 2018, 12:35 pm
The Nickman wrote:Guys, guys, guys... this has all gone a fair bit off topic, so let me get this back on topic and clear it up once and for all.

aspiring to the great heights of the GH's own Marco Schifty

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quality handshake. No limp-wrists here!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:26 pm
Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:21 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:01 pm
Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2018, 7:34 pm I'm just here for the banter. **** the raiders. Cant wait to meet you one day Nickman, I reckon you'd have a handshake like a fairy
If you mean Tinkerbell... well maybe that's fine. She's a very nice Disney character but probably doesn't even shake hands. If you are making a homophobic slur... then that isn't acceptable on our site. So just keep that in mind. We don't accept posts that denigrate people because of their sexual orientation. People who post homophobic slurs... they get banned.

Pretty sure your being heterophobic in that assumption. That is an idiotic thing to say GE, I expected better from you, are you sure your not a Nickman troll account ? I mean between the two of you, you only post 6500 times per day ****
I didn't assume anything. But just keep in mind... homophobic slurs get edited... and then if you don't cut that out of your posting... you won't be posting. We don't accept any posts that denigrate people because of their sex, sexual orientation etc etc. Maybe read the forum guidelines.
It's pretty obvious that given Neeeegz's penchant for the old school, etc. that it was a homophobic slur. He can't back away from it now.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

hrundi89 wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:06 pm
Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2018, 7:34 pm I'm just here for the banter. **** the raiders. Cant wait to meet you one day Nickman, I reckon you'd have a handshake like a fairy
If you mean Tinkerbell... well maybe that's fine. She's a very nice Disney character but probably doesn't even shake hands. If you are making a homophobic slur... then that isn't acceptable on our site. So just keep that in mind. We don't accept posts that denigrate people because of their sexual orientation. People who post homophobic slurs... they get banned.

Pretty sure your being heterophobic in that assumption. That is an idiotic thing to say GE, I expected better from you, are you sure your not a Nickman troll account ? I mean between the two of you, you only post 6500 times per day ****
I didn't assume anything. But just keep in mind... homophobic slurs get edited... and then if you don't cut that out of your posting... you won't be posting. We don't accept any posts that denigrate people because of their sex, sexual orientation etc etc. Maybe read the forum guidelines.
It's pretty obvious that given Neeeegz's penchant for the old school, etc. that it was a homophobic slur. He can't back away from it now.
How is it homophobic exactly? Is Nickman gay? Or does comparing one's handshake to a tiny female mythological creature have some sort of "sexual orientation discrimination" attached to it? What if he said "you shake hands like an elf?"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha while this debate is enthralling, I'd just like to point out I wasn't offended by Neeeeegz comparing my handshake to that of a fairy at all. And I think he probably meant as a strength reference, not due to my sexual preference. It certainly didn't come across as overly homophobic to me either way, just another **** call in a long line of **** calls.

Anyway, there's been MUCH more serious homophobic remarks over the years on this forum by MUCH more "senior" forum members than Neeeeegz which have gone virtually unpunished, so lets not haul this guy over the coals for this one, shall we??
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

Are we talking a woodland elf in the Lord of the Rings style or are we talking Santa's helper elf kinda deal?
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Supershamrock wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:51 pm Are we talking a woodland elf in the Lord of the Rings style or are we talking Santa's helper elf kinda deal?
I was thinking Will Ferrell's character
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Finchy wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:22 pm

How is it homophobic exactly? Is Nickman gay? Or does comparing one's handshake to a tiny female mythological creature have some sort of "sexual orientation discrimination" attached to it? What if he said "you shake hands like an elf?"
You're completely ignorant of the use of the word "fairy" in such a way? Stop being obtuse...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Supershamrock wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:51 pm Are we talking a woodland elf in the Lord of the Rings style or are we talking Santa's helper elf kinda deal?
Or Will Farrell in leggings? He looked like he'd have a hell of a handshake...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

A very enthusiastic handshake for sure, can't beat enthusiasm!
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Could be a Discworld Elf, in which case you don't want to shake their hand.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

hrundi89 wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:54 pm

You're completely ignorant of the use of the word "fairy" in such a way? Stop being obtuse...
Personally I think he was being quite a-cute
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford

Post by Supershamrock »

Oooo, definitely not. Avoid that handshake. The Discworld Elf that is.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I've always found Nickman's handshakes disconcertingly moist.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 1, 2018, 4:52 pm I've always found Nickman's handshakes disconcertingly moist.

Yeah, but it's not my hand you're talking about, is it??
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

hrundi89 wrote: May 1, 2018, 2:54 pm

Obtuse? I honestly have never heard the term "fairy" used in a homophobic way. I don't get it? Are homosexuals tiny, female, and make-believe?

It's like saying "settle down princess". Is that homophobic, sexist, or just banter? I think everyone's getting a little carried away with what's "offensive" in this day and age.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Here's some news for you then Finchy. The term "fairy" is a homophobic slur. So it is a good plan to avoid insulting someone with the term in the 21st century.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:40 pm Here's some news for you then Finchy. The term "fairy" is a homophobic slur. So it is a good plan to avoid insulting someone with the term in the 21st century.
Boy, there's a lot more for men than there are for women, aren't there??
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

T_R wrote: May 1, 2018, 4:52 pm I've always found Nickman's handshakes disconcertingly moist.

Hmmm so it was nickman that was on the receiving end of Papa’s moisturiser?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kiwi raider wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:45 pm

Wasn't me that was moist in TR's scenario, I'll give you the tip.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:50 pm

Leakage is not uncommon at TR’s age
Last edited by kiwi raider on May 1, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

kiwi raider wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:58 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:50 pm

Leakage is not uncommon at TR’s age
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 5:40 pm Here's some news for you then Finchy. The term "fairy" is a homophobic slur. So it is a good plan to avoid insulting someone with the term in the 21st century.
If that's the case, I was unaware.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:
Going out on a limb here, are you Gen Y Finchy?

A few people on here might be getting overly antsy at people not knowing slurs that are probably much less prevalent these days.

Might be that it should be avoided more studiously in the 20th century GE?
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
Finchy wrote:

A few people on here might be getting overly antsy at people not knowing slurs that are probably much less prevalent these days.

Gen Y indeed... :(
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
Finchy wrote:

This is ridiculous. It is widely known... and to pretend that it is not known stretches credibility beyond breaking point.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Supershamrock wrote:Oooo, definitely not. Avoid that handshake. The Discworld Elf that is.
Just avoid them in general. This should absolutely be part of our game plan for this weekend.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:

Just the tip?