Saturday 28 April 7:30pm
Townsville Stadium
Gates Open: 3:30pm
Defence v Palm Island (Bill Coolburra Shield): 5.10pm
Pre-Match Show: 6.35pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Partly cloudy. Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a light shower. Light winds becoming east to northeasterly 20 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 20 per cent. Min 19 Max 30

Round 7 2018. South Sydney Rabbitohs 42 Canberra Raiders 22. The final score line at Central Coast Stadium flattered the Raiders. Canberra was out-coached and out-played, comprehensively. They were in it for a minute - the first minute. Siliva Havili made a great break up field, but it amounted to nothing. And then the Rabbitohs asserted their dominance and the match was never really in any doubt.

2018 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

More on Round 7: As I saw it

The Raiders have another "road" trip in Round 8, heading to Townsville for a meeting with the North Queensland Cowboys. Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has made just one change to his team, bringing Josh Papalii into the starting team at lock, with Luke Bateman dropping back to the bench. For the Cowboys, former Raider Shaun Fensom comes into the top 17, after coming back from a long injury lay off, with John Asiata out with a pec injury.

Late changes: The Raiders have omitted Jack Murchie and Brad Abbey from their squad of 21 on Friday night, while the Cowboys omitted Jake Clifford and Sam Hoare.

History: Canberra has won 21 of 39 games against the North Queensland Cowboys. However, over the past decade, the Raiders have won just five matches, the Cowboys 12 - and three in the past 10 games. The Raiders lost both contests between the teams in 2017 - 20-16 in golden point in Round 1 at Townsville, and 31-18 in Round 17 at Canberra. The Raiders have won just seven of 19 matches played at "The Willows" in Townsville - and have not won there since the golden point victory of 2006.

2017 Round 17 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

2017 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

In this week's "History Happens" we go back just two years... to one of those few recent Raiders victories over the Cowboys, 26-12 at Canberra Stadium over a North Queensland outfit missing their Origin stars.

2016 Round 18 Canberra Raiders V North Queensland Cowboys

Form: The Raiders have a LLWWL form line in their past five matches, while the Cowboys have a LLLLW record. The Cowboys broke a five game losing streak in their last outing, a 26-14 victory over the Gold Coast Titans in Townsville.

Betting: The Cowboys are warm $1.45 favourites in this match, while the Raiders are paying $2.85. The Raiders have a 7.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a clash between 12th and 15th on the ladder. Both teams have just two wins to their credit in 2018, with the Raiders ahead of the Cowboys on points differential. Canberra has a negative points differential of nine - and frustratingly, their points differential is better than every team on the ladder from the eighth placed Knights down. Both teams have lost three games this year against teams in the top eight.

The Raiders are averaging 22 points scored per match (sixth in the NRL), while the Cowboys have averaged just 17 (12th position). The Raiders have averaged just under four tries scored per match, the Cowboys under three. Both teams are conceding around 24 points per match, fourth and fifth worst in the league.

Most other attacking statistics for the two teams are similar. The Cowboys average 1375 metres gained per match, the Raiders 1367 metres. The Cowboys make 373 kicking metres per game, the Raiders 369 metres. There's not much difference in line breaks (Raiders five, Cowboys four) and offloads (Raiders nine, Cowboys seven). The Cowboys average 12 errors per match, the Raiders 10. The Raiders have conceded an average of 10 penalties per match, the Cowboys eight. The Cowboys complete at 76 per cent, the Raiders at 75 per cent. Extraordinarily, both teams have averaged around 330 tackles per match, and missed around 30.

Our tip: The statistics point to a close match. But to be honest, I can't see it. The Cowboys started to play themselves back into form in their last outing, while the Raiders crashed and burned last Saturday. Canberra is on a nine game losing streak in Townsville. The Raiders have beaten a Cowboys team featuring Johnathan Thurston just four times. He always seems to hand out a footballing lesson to the Green Machine... and I'm expecting this is the game where he'll unleash, after being criticised for his form in the early stages of this season. I won't be surprised if the Cowboys win by a big margin. Cowboys by 12.

What they're saying:

Elliott Whitehead: "We all know our forwards we let ourselves down [last] week and we've got a chance to fix that up. You can't write the Cowboys off if you saw what they did last year when they had all those injuries and they got all the way to the grand final. We know it's going to be a tough test, but we'll be putting everything into getting the two points so that's all that matters."

Luke Bateman on the fragile Raiders' edge defence: "Where the edges get exposed you always look at the middle and every time the edge handles it well you look at the middle and they're putting inside pressure on and really helping the edges out. It's a hard place to defend, the edge, and I don't envy them. When we're not helping them out it just makes it twice as hard for them."

Half Ata Hingano on playing off the bench at dummy half: "I'm still young so just even getting the opportunity to play first grade I'm just biding my time and still just learning the game a bit more here. At the moment my role is a nine, I'm just trying to focus at nine, because I know that will contribute to the team and help them there."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Junior Paulo
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Ata Hingano
15. Shannon Boyd
16. Luke Bateman
17. Dunamis Lui
18. Liam Knight
19. Michael Oldfield

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Justin O'Neill
4. Ben Hampton
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Michael Morgan
7. Johnathan Thurston (c)
8. Matthew Scott (c)
9. Jake Granville
10. Scott Bolton
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Te Maire Martin
15. Shaun Fensom
16. Corey Jensen
17. Ethan Lowe
18. Francis Molo
20. Enari Tuala

Officials:

Referees: Henry Perenara, Jon Stone
Sideline Officials: Nick Morel, Nick Beashel
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLCowboysRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2018 Rd 8 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by reptar »

Bryan Norrie is a video ref?!?!?

I reckon our only chance this game is the Cowboys are secretly on the $2.90.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Cows by more than 30 is what we can all hope for

Cowboys 46
Raiders 0
Perth Based Raiders Fan
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

PerthRaider86 wrote: April 24, 2018, 4:59 pm Cows by more than 30 is what we can all hope for

Cowboys 46
Raiders 0
I don't HOPE for that, but I'm thinking it's pretty likely.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

reptar wrote: April 24, 2018, 5:00 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: April 24, 2018, 4:59 pm Cows by more than 30 is what we can all hope for

Cowboys 46
Raiders 0
Well my thinking on that was it might finally get the ball rolling on a new coach/CEO

Unlikely tho :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:
Perth Based Raiders Fan
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Whoever wrote the article is being generous. Cowboys by 12

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

PerthRaider86 wrote:

Cowboys 46
Raiders 0
Well my thinking on that was it might finally get the ball rolling on a new coach/CEO

Board is in China this weekend, they’ll play dumb when they return so there will be no change

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

LastRaider wrote:
PerthRaider86 wrote:

Cowboys 46
Raiders 0

Board is in China this weekend, they’ll play dumb when they return so there will be no change

play?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

reptar wrote:
LastRaider wrote:
PerthRaider86 wrote:

Cowboys 46
Raiders 0

play?
Hahaha

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote:Whoever wrote the article is being generous. Cowboys by 12

I wrote it.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

I feel really awefull about this game. Literally sick. If we get spanked in Townsvile...... I'm cancelling Christmas.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

$1.42.... should be more like $1.20.... seriously though can anyone remember the last time we beat the cowboys, because i cant. Morgan to score 2 tries in the first 20 mins, taulmololo and te mare martin also guaranteed 4 pointers.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

we have absolutely positively undoubtedly unequivocally unbelievably no chance in this wide world of winning this game. Cowbys by 30+.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Lucky wrote: April 24, 2018, 9:29 pm $1.42.... should be more like $1.20.... seriously though can anyone remember the last time we beat the cowboys, because i cant. Morgan to score 2 tries in the first 20 mins, taulmololo and te mare martin also guaranteed 4 pointers.
2006 apparently Carney was still at the Club.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

I have lost total faith in this team our season is over there’s no doubting that. Stuart is releuctant to make any ‘real’ changes to the team and yet again that’s proven by the team he selected this week. LoLo, Hess and Co are going to run all over Austin.
Honestly I love the Club but the ignorance shown by Stuart and his continual obsession on mummy cuddling the team is a joke.
What we are seeing this year is a mirror of last year unfortunately Stuart made no players accountable to me the team isn’t playing like a team I don’t think they play for Stuart or the Club, some may do but most just turn up.
The fact that we have no defensive Coach and that Stuart thinks he knows all is another issue that this mess has. Many players will leave at seasons end, Paulo to Eels, Austin to Souths, Papalii to Titans and so on and so on. All this is killing me 😞
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:
Lucky wrote: April 24, 2018, 9:29 pm $1.42.... should be more like $1.20.... seriously though can anyone remember the last time we beat the cowboys, because i cant. Morgan to score 2 tries in the first 20 mins, taulmololo and te mare martin also guaranteed 4 pointers.
I dont think weve won up there since carney kicked that 40m field goal

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VictorTheViking wrote: April 25, 2018, 6:26 pm
InFernos_Raiders wrote:
I dont think weve won up there since carney kicked that 40m field goal

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
greeneyed wrote:History: Canberra has won 21 of 39 games against the North Queensland Cowboys. However, over the past decade, the Raiders have won just five matches, the Cowboys 12 - and three in the past 10 games. The Raiders lost both contests between the teams in 2017 - 20-16 in golden point in Round 1 at Townsville, and 31-18 in Round 17 at Canberra. The Raiders have won just seven of 19 matches played at "The Willows" in Townsville - and have not won there since the golden point victory of 2006.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32738#p1584305
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Who will stay and who will go ??

Off Contract 2018: (I believe Austin, Paulo, Pappa, Dakuwaqa, Garvey will probably go)
Blake Austin
Luke Bateman
Shannon Boyd
Masivesi Dakuwaqa
Craig Garvey
Siliva Havili
Dunamis Lui
Michael Oldfield
Josh Papalii
Junior Paulo
Aidan Sezer
Iosia Soliola
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dakuwaqa isn’t with the club in 2018.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think Havilii might get some offers to leave soon. Especially with Hodgson returning and sticky’s clear indication he likes to play with 3 halves. Good on him too, he has played well every game and would make a great number 14 at any club with his ability to play in the forwards

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I dunno.. with Austin out the door you'd say Hingano will play 6, Havili 14 as he can cover lock and hooker
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, Havili will be 14 so he can come on in the last 10 minutes while Hodgo has a spell at lock.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: April 26, 2018, 1:36 am Who will stay and who will go ??

Off Contract 2018: (I believe Austin, Paulo, Pappa, Dakuwaqa, Garvey will probably go)
Blake Austin
Luke Bateman
Shannon Boyd
Masivesi Dakuwaqa
Craig Garvey
Siliva Havili
Dunamis Lui
Michael Oldfield
Josh Papalii
Junior Paulo
Aidan Sezer
Iosia Soliola
Austin has to go. Paulo would want way more than he is worth to stay.

Boyd and Papa have to be our priorities and I would keep Garvey, Sezer, Havili, Oldfield, Lui, Bateman and Sia if the ask is reasonable.

I don't think we are far away from where we need to be. We need a stiffer middle 3rd and a strong defensive half who will do his job outside Sezer.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 8 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

-TW- wrote:I dunno.. with Austin out the door you'd say Hingano will play 6, Havili 14 as he can cover lock and hooker
No you forget his favorite son Sam Williams. Rick would let Havilii go to keep Sam

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 26, 2018, 6:01 pm
InFernos_Raiders wrote: April 26, 2018, 1:36 am Who will stay and who will go ??

Blake Austin
Luke Bateman
Shannon Boyd
Masivesi Dakuwaqa
Craig Garvey
Siliva Havili
Dunamis Lui
Michael Oldfield
Josh Papalii
Junior Paulo
Aidan Sezer
Iosia Soliola

Boyd and Papa have to be our priorities and I would keep Garvey, Sezer, Havili, Oldfield, Lui, Bateman and Sia if the ask is reasonable.

I don't think we are far away from where we need to be. We need a stiffer middle 3rd and a strong defensive half who will do his job outside Sezer.
They're not going to keep a guy they won't pick to play.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for latest squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32738&p=1584305#p1584305
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

You know I’m not as stressed as before I’ve accepted that we will no doubt lose this weekend.
There is no way on gods earth that the Raiders will win. Cows by 30+.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

All the negativity is cause for optimism, nah, we will lose.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Cows have been worse than us this year. It won't be a high quality game but it will be close.

I think cows will win because of one J Thurston

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: April 28, 2018, 6:53 am Cows have been worse than us this year. It won't be a high quality game but it will be close.

I think cows will win because of one J Thurston

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Never heard of him...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Game day :(

Cowboys to click in to gear tonight.

Cows 46-12
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I reckon Raiders win this one. Cows coming off a win and Raiders off a loss. They just need to play like they did for the last 20 mins last week. Play expansive, look for offloads. Play like 2016 essentially 🤪

Well that’s what should happen. A coach worrying about what they’re wearing may have other plans.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

For how poor we have started the season, an unlikely win today should see us sitting as high as 9th after 8 rounds.

Why oh why does my optimism come creeping back each week???

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Even a win this week is a baby step. Three games in deficit for breaking even which is roughly the 8 cut off. Need to string multiple wins together
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

Blake Austin
Luke Bateman
Shannon Boyd
Masivesi Dakuwaqa
Craig Garvey
Siliva Havili
Dunamis Lui
Michael Oldfield
Josh Papalii
Junior Paulo
Aidan Sezer
Iosia Soliola

And a coach who knows how to coach at NRL level. Everything else is just window-dressing.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023