Total votes: 18

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2018 Rd 8 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

Neeeegz wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:28 pm
raiderskater wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:18 pm
Neeeegz wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:08 pm Id love to know how many actually played footy beyond under 16s...and still experts
And you did?
Yes, I did, and was quite handy in my day and have one teammate that played for Australia and new, and a few others with nrl contracts, repped western region as a young fella, but gave it up as per my dying fathers wish to persue my trade. Any more questions ? Like why I follow a team that USED to be tradesman like in their approach to games ? Because with the ******* idiot fans on here, I'm starting to doubt it after 35 years.
I played Rugby Union. Does that allow me to have an opinion on League?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sossman wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:32 pm
Neeeegz wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:08 pm Id love to know how many actually played footy beyond under 16s...and still experts
And you did?
Yes, I did, and was quite handy in my day and have one teammate that played for Australia and new, and a few others with nrl contracts, repped western region as a young fella, but gave it up as per my dying fathers wish to persue my trade. Any more questions ? Like why I follow a team that USED to be tradesman like in their approach to games ? Because with the ******* idiot fans on here, I'm starting to doubt it after 35 years.
Muse is that you?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Not cool.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Sossman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: Yes, I did, and was quite handy in my day and have one teammate that played for Australia and new, and a few others with nrl contracts, repped western region as a young fella, but gave it up as per my dying fathers wish to persue my trade. Any more questions ? Like why I follow a team that USED to be tradesman like in their approach to games ? Because with the ******* idiot fans on here, I'm starting to doubt it after 35 years.
Muse is that you?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
What’s this about, Sods? That’s not ok man.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Yeah someone bring me up to speed because I'm clearly missing something. Why was that poor form but its ok to call every mysterious poster here Lucy?

EDIT: now up to speed. Never made the connection so honest and sincere apologies.

Would have happy to see reference trail removed.
Last edited by Sossman on April 30, 2018, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Neeeegz wrote:
And you did?
I also repped the western region. I am 36 years old. What's your name? we probably played together. I was a centre. What position did you play?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Coastalraider wrote: April 30, 2018, 12:32 pm Im currently reading Kurt Fearnley's book, and it had a great quote in it form his coach. He got asked how he was able to be such a great coach of wheelchair racers when he had never been in a wheelchair. His response was 'as far as Im aware, Bart Cummins has never been a horse, but he's a pretty good trainer.'
Same argument happens in figure skating a lot. "xyz coach can't possibly teach him the quad, they can't do it themselves!" Me: "You do realise that Alexei Mishin, possibly the greatest jump coach in the world who has written whole books on the biomechanics of jump theory, never did anything harder than a double, right?"

I'll agree with the shoutout to Nickman, a 17 hour drive is serious commitment, no doubt whatsoever that you bleed green big time.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote: April 30, 2018, 1:10 pm
Coastalraider wrote: April 30, 2018, 12:32 pm Im currently reading Kurt Fearnley's book, and it had a great quote in it form his coach. He got asked how he was able to be such a great coach of wheelchair racers when he had never been in a wheelchair. His response was 'as far as Im aware, Bart Cummins has never been a horse, but he's a pretty good trainer.'
Same argument happens in figure skating a lot. "xyz coach can't possibly teach him the quad, they can't do it themselves!" Me: "You do realise that Alexei Mishin, possibly the greatest jump coach in the world who has written whole books on the biomechanics of jump theory, never did anything harder than a double, right?"

I'll agree with the shoutout to Nickman, a 17 hour drive is serious commitment, no doubt whatsoever that you bleed green big time.
Haha thanks. I must admit I've never been to a Raiders game feeling less confident (a sentiment shared by almost every other fan I encountered), but was so pleased with the effort.

I just hope they can bottle that spirit and show up every week like that. As I told anyone who would listen after the game, I'd prefer to win like that based on attitude and defence rather than blowing teams away and having little defence.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Hey look, team song! (Most of it anyway!) https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 6912530432

I'm enjoying how pumped up the boys seem to be. Wighton seems to be especially excited. My feelings on his celebration are torn between "that was awesome" and "holy **** Jack that dressing room is tiny please don't hurt yourself or anyone else" :lol:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just a reminder... the footy boards are for footy discussion. Random photos that have nothing to do with the football... that’s what The Lime Lounge is for. We’re applying a wide definition of footy related and being very flexible... but please use a bit of discretion and consider the people who are looking for footy discussion on the footy boards.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the numbers: Raiders v Cowboys: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... v-cowboys/

Round 8 play of the week: Siliva Havili: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... va-havili/

Vote Now: Man of the Match Round 8: http://greenroomdigital.snapforms.com.a ... eek-round8
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Neeeegz wrote: April 29, 2018, 10:28 pm
And you did?
My son played footy against Joey Johns' son in under 7s - Belrose vs Mona Vale. I think that makes me an immortal.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 1:17 pm

Haha thanks. I must admit I've never been to a Raiders game feeling less confident (a sentiment shared by almost every other fan I encountered), but was so pleased with the effort.

I just hope they can bottle that spirit and show up every week like that. As I told anyone who would listen after the game, I'd prefer to win like that based on attitude and defence rather than blowing teams away and having little defence.
Agree 100% Nickman, I want them to bottle that attitude.

Had a great barney with the old boy on Sunday - asking if that shut me up about the #sacksticky thing. I absolutely want our team to play like that every week. I know that performance would not beat every team in the comp, but they played with a great attitude and that would put them in with a shout in most matches. If we had that attitude all season, we would be top 4 easily.

The problem is that apart from a run in 2016, Stick hasn't been able to sustain that type of attitude in the squad. He's had players return from international duty fat, players who have repeatedly phoned in efforts etc, and it has built a culture with limited accountability. Going from a team that lost to Manly 32-16 with a dismal display, to winning against the dogs 26-10 in the space of a week was a little worrying. Last week we got smoked 42-22, this week we come out and win 18-8 in the space of a week..... its this lack of consistent application that is the biggest concern in our squad, because we intermittently see what the squad is capable of, but we cannot display it consistently.

Im getting to the point where I doubt that Sticky is going anywhere regardless of results - so the next best thing for me is squad rotation, and support staff recruitment. If we cant change who is deciding the message, then maybe we can change who is delivering it, and listening. If we make no changes, we get no changes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: April 30, 2018, 2:37 pm Agree 100% Nickman, I want them to bottle that attitude.

Had a great barney with the old boy on Sunday - asking if that shut me up about the #sacksticky thing. I absolutely want our team to play like that every week. I know that performance would not beat every team in the comp, but they played with a great attitude and that would put them in with a shout in most matches. If we had that attitude all season, we would be top 4 easily.

The problem is that apart from a run in 2016, Stick hasn't been able to sustain that type of attitude in the squad. He's had players return from international duty fat, players who have repeatedly phoned in efforts etc, and it has built a culture with limited accountability. Going from a team that lost to Manly 32-16 with a dismal display, to winning against the dogs 26-10 in the space of a week was a little worrying. Last week we got smoked 42-22, this week we come out and win 18-8 in the space of a week..... its this lack of consistent application that is the biggest concern in our squad, because we intermittently see what the squad is capable of, but we cannot display it consistently.

Im getting to the point where I doubt that Sticky is going anywhere regardless of results - so the next best thing for me is squad rotation, and support staff recruitment. If we cant change who is deciding the message, then maybe we can change who is delivering it, and listening. If we make no changes, we get no changes.
Yeah, agreed. It's great that Stuart was somehow able to get the players up for that game, and it really was a game where nobody gave them any chance, so is THAT why they got up? Backs to the wall and all that?

Because the challenge here is to play like that week in, week out. The coach needs to get consistent, good football with a great attitude every week, or we'll continue to be one of the most frustrating teams to support in the NRL. It has to continue into the next two home games against the Titans and Sharks or it'll all be for nought IMO.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: April 30, 2018, 7:57 am I have been suitably rebuked, and will only keep my comments to that which I am qualified - the Cricket Thread, as I was in the same squads as players who represented Australia in test cricket for 7 years and another that top scored for PM XI against the West Indies.

My promise to you will last for approximately 5 seconds.
I add absolutely nothing to this forum of any substance.

You'll find me in the "off topic" thread..

I'm off topic.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 2:42 pm
Coastalraider wrote: April 30, 2018, 2:37 pm Agree 100% Nickman, I want them to bottle that attitude.

Yeah, agreed. It's great that Stuart was somehow able to get the players up for that game, and it really was a game where nobody gave them any chance, so is THAT why they got up? Backs to the wall and all that?

Because the challenge here is to play like that week in, week out. The coach needs to get consistent, good football with a great attitude every week, or we'll continue to be one of the most frustrating teams to support in the NRL. It has to continue into the next two home games against the Titans and Sharks or it'll all be for nought IMO.
Agreed, the fact that we seem to have these great games followed by a pile of tripe is concerning. Like, what the heck? Just play like that every week! How is that so hard?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote: April 30, 2018, 3:23 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 2:42 pm Yeah, agreed. It's great that Stuart was somehow able to get the players up for that game, and it really was a game where nobody gave them any chance, so is THAT why they got up? Backs to the wall and all that?

Agreed, the fact that we seem to have these great games followed by a pile of tripe is concerning. Like, what the heck? Just play like that every week! How is that so hard?
That's right. I don't even mind if we show up with that kind of attitude and lose, at least if they look committed and work for each other in defence its a more satisfying loss than when they just don't look interested or switch off after 70mins.

All three wins this year they have tried out of their skins in defence, and until the final whistle, whereas I don't think you can say that in any of the losses. The first three matches could've been easy wins too with that sort of commitment in defence.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Home sick again so watching the replay again.

**** I can't say enough how good that Wighton trysaver was. And the positioning, not just of Croker on the inside marking the support runner, but also Cotric on the outside, making sure that passing to the outside wasn't an option either.

**** that Sezer trysaver was amazing too. Hess is twice Sezer's size.

And **** Havili is amazing!

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

raiderskater wrote: April 30, 2018, 3:52 pm Home sick again so watching the replay again.

**** I can't say enough how good that Wighton trysaver was. And the positioning, not just of Croker on the inside marking the support runner, but also Cotric on the outside, making sure that passing to the outside wasn't an option either.

**** that Sezer trysaver was amazing too. Hess is twice Sezer's size.

And **** Havili is amazing!

I thought **** Rapana and **** Tapine were pretty ***** good too. I liked ***** Stuart's press conference as well.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: April 28, 2018, 9:55 pm
Pigman wrote: April 28, 2018, 9:44 pm
kiwi raider wrote: April 28, 2018, 9:40 pm Yea that video ref decision had me worried but anyone with any sort of brains knew that was 100% a try. Thankfully the video ref worked it out that it was basically impossible for it to not be grounded and overturned the decision
It was a try. I feel 95% confident in that but to say there was conclusive evidence to over turn.. tough
Right call was made in the end by the spirit, but one of those calls no one ever remembers we get hah
The onfield calls are really for the 50/50 calls. Yes, Havili try was probably 95% certain but the onfield call is not to be supported if there’s 5% doubt. We saw that Perenara got it wrong for both Havili and Croker tries. You can’t go with a ref who’s having a guess on the outcome.
I agree, but the rule is not written or supposed to be interpreted that way. Im glad they do generally take this common sense approach with calls like this... but again, in context, the rule states it should have been disallowed as no conclusive evidence showed a grounding. And had that been a Cowboys try, im certain that's the exact line of posting i'd be reading in this thread.
Pigman, Where do you get this 5% wrong figure from? The overrule was 100% correct as could be clearly seen on the video evidence.

Walters and Tate didn’t blow up about the decision on Fox. The Cowboys coach or players didn’t blow up about the decision. There was no print or radio complaints about the decision and the Cowboys fans I was with conceded it was the correct call and they wished the camera work wasn’t so good to allow the video ref to change the decision.

I don’t understand why you keep pushing this claim that we got lucky and the video ref didn’t follow the rule book on this decision.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pigman wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: April 28, 2018, 9:40 pm Yea that video ref decision had me worried but anyone with any sort of brains knew that was 100% a try. Thankfully the video ref worked it out that it was basically impossible for it to not be grounded and overturned the decision
It was a try. I feel 95% confident in that but to say there was conclusive evidence to over turn.. tough
Right call was made in the end by the spirit, but one of those calls no one ever remembers we get hah
The onfield calls are really for the 50/50 calls. Yes, Havili try was probably 95% certain but the onfield call is not to be supported if there’s 5% doubt. We saw that Perenara got it wrong for both Havili and Croker tries. You can’t go with a ref who’s having a guess on the outcome.
I agree, but the rule is not written or supposed to be interpreted that way. Im glad they do generally take this common sense approach with calls like this... but again, in context, the rule states it should have been disallowed as no conclusive evidence showed a grounding. And had that been a Cowboys try, im certain that's the exact line of posting i'd be reading in this thread.
Pigman, Where do you get this 5% wrong figure from? The overrule was 100% correct as could be clearly seen on the video evidence.

Walters and Tate didn’t blow up about the decision on Fox. The Cowboys coach or players didn’t blow up about the decision. There was no print or radio complaints about the decision and the Cowboys fans I was with conceded it was the correct call and they wished the camera work wasn’t so good to allow the video ref to change the decision.

I don’t understand why you keep pushing this claim that we got lucky and the video ref didn’t follow the rule book on this decision.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

raiderskater wrote: April 30, 2018, 1:32 pm Hey look, team song! (Most of it anyway!) https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 6912530432

I'm enjoying how pumped up the boys seem to be. Wighton seems to be especially excited. My feelings on his celebration are torn between "that was awesome" and "holy **** Jack that dressing room is tiny please don't hurt yourself or anyone else" :lol:
I've been hanging out for that team song!
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
raiderskater wrote: April 30, 2018, 3:23 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 2:42 pm Yeah, agreed. It's great that Stuart was somehow able to get the players up for that game, and it really was a game where nobody gave them any chance, so is THAT why they got up? Backs to the wall and all that?

That's right. I don't even mind if we show up with that kind of attitude and lose, at least if they look committed and work for each other in defence its a more satisfying loss than when they just don't look interested or switch off after 70mins.

All three wins this year they have tried out of their skins in defence, and until the final whistle, whereas I don't think you can say that in any of the losses. The first three matches could've been easy wins too with that sort of commitment in defence.
Until the final whistle is the important part as well. Not only do they need to apply that sort of effort week to week but it needs to be an 80 minute thing even when we find ourselves up and cruising.

If we are up 30-0 at half time the same defensive effort needs to be there for the entire second half or it'll be round 1 all over again.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The only non senior level Rugby League player who has coached FG, I can think of was Alan Jones. Former school teacher and Rugby Union international coach. Given the job by Balmain (One of the clubs which merged to form West Tigers). The results were not impressive. As far as I am aware no other club has tried it since. Having said that, a rugby league background is no guarantee of coaching success. Ask every wooden spoon 'winning' coach. There are lots of factors which go into success/failure and player roster combined with player attitude is right up there. This week we had the 'attitude'. But, now the side has match fitness, our inconsistency between the ears is a factor in our ladder position.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

How DID Jones get that job?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

BJ wrote: April 30, 2018, 4:31 pm
Pigman wrote:

I'm not sure why this has been discussed so much when everyone agrees it was a try.. it was just lucky that it wasn't one of those ones that had 1000 arms, legs and hands in the way in the footage, like most of those sorts of tries/no tries are, given that the call was incorrectly taken up as a no try to begin with.

Has there been anymore mention of Papalii's first try attempt that looked to have come off Taumololo's shoulder and not even sent up? I'd like to see that again.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2018, 11:07 am
Velda wrote: April 29, 2018, 9:46 am Where’s the team song???
Not recorded last night.
greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2018, 11:43 am Round 8 Team Song v Cowboys: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/04 ... v-cowboys/
You tease!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was only telling you what I was told on Sunday.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:49 am How DID Jones get that job?

I think they asked for applicants and he was the only one to nominate that he would do the job for free.
I guess the Tigers learned that you only get what you pay for. But it did take 3 years to sink in. He wanted to go a 4th year but the Tigers said No. I think his best result was 10th place or there abouts.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

RedRaider wrote:

I think they asked for applicants and he was the only one to nominate that he would do the job for free.
I guess the Tigers learned that you only get what you pay for. But it did take 3 years to sink in. He wanted to go a 4th year but the Tigers said No. I think his best result was 10th place or there abouts.
It might have been for free, but what price? Nothing's without a price with that guy.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I thought Neegz' summary was pretty good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 1, 2018, 10:07 pm I thought Neegz' summary was pretty good.
Haha so did I! I just pointed out that technically they weren't "rankings" and he went all poopy-pants'd on me.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:44 pm
RedRaider wrote:

It might have been for free, but what price? Nothing's without a price with that guy.
You might have to phone him up and ask him Reptar. We don't get his feed in Country NSW. Hope this helps :)
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

RedRaider wrote:
reptar wrote: May 1, 2018, 6:44 pm
RedRaider wrote:

You might have to phone him up and ask him Reptar. We don't get his feed in Country NSW. Hope this helps :)
It doesn't help at all!!!!!

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Johno wrote: April 30, 2018, 11:47 am
The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:35 am
dubby wrote: April 30, 2018, 8:05 am Full credit to Nickman for driving 17 hours to watch the raiders. Awesome stuff

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
So glad I did too. When the game kicked off I was sitting there thinking "what the hell am I doing here?"

At fulltime I was SO glad I'd driven up there, would've been FURIOUS with myself if I'd missed that.

Pretty bloody tired at work Monday morning though, I'll give you the tip.
I salute you Nickman
It's one thing to drive 17 hours to watch a Raiders game, but another to do it the round after they dished up absolute pus against the Rabbitohs. Well done to Nickman and the other fans that made the trek!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine