Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: May 18, 2018, 12:28 pm You know, I'm not so convinced we're going to have a huge pile of money lying around after losing these guys.

I have a suspicion that our salary cap position is much worse than we have been told.
Fun police have raided the building
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

zim wrote: May 18, 2018, 1:23 pm
T_R wrote: May 18, 2018, 12:28 pm You know, I'm not so convinced we're going to have a huge pile of money lying around after losing these guys.

I have a suspicion that our salary cap position is much worse than we have been told.
What was the plan if Paulo and Boyd accepted their 500 - 600k offers? Assuming no signings we haven't heard about surely it's safe enough to say that we have at least 1m to play with?
Although that's not a lot in todays $$.
$700K - $800K for Klemmer and whoever we can get with the rest.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: May 18, 2018, 1:35 pm
zim wrote: May 18, 2018, 1:23 pm

What was the plan if Paulo and Boyd accepted their 500 - 600k offers? Assuming no signings we haven't heard about surely it's safe enough to say that we have at least 1m to play with?
Although that's not a lot in todays $$.
$700K - $800K for Klemmer and whoever we can get with the rest.
Klemmer or RCG should be high on our priorities.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I think you’ve nailed it
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

luke wrote:Fantastic news about the tank being back. We should use it to make Canberra Stadium a fortress.
Haha this made me chuckle first thing in the morning.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's hard to see how that's possible if we lose 4 or 5 of them.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

I am so happy emptying the tank is back.... I could cry :'/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: May 18, 2018, 2:38 pm

It's hard to see how that's possible if we lose 4 or 5 of them.
Agree. If we lose Austin, Paulo and Boyd we should have more than enough to recruit three replacements.

I suspect we could recruit at least 2 Super League forwards and a half for that money.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't see how this is possible.
Didn't we offload Baptiste to become salary cap compliant ?

So it wouldn't matter if Paulo was on $1mil and Bateman was on $10.

I thought we were under and ready to go rnd 1.

The club has stood its ground and not payed Boyd what he wanted.

Same as Paulo, and apparently he's already signed with Parra.

I'm guessing they have offered enough to Papa for him to be happy and we'll have $$$ to nab at least one middle forward with money left over..

Who that will be I have no clue. We could go Sutton who by all reports is average at best or make an offer to a Klemmer etc.

I'd like the club to show some interest in Klemmer at least. And all it takes is an offer. The media grab hold off it and we are off running.

Just get in the mix ****..I'm getting tired of the same old run of the mill crap.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote: May 18, 2018, 4:11 pm

And then immediately replaced him with three other hookers.

Remember, the word on that street was the Canberra was working on the full $10m salary cap, and got caught out.
-PJ- wrote: May 18, 2018, 4:11 pm The club has stood its ground and not payed Boyd what he wanted.

Because they suddenly woke up and decided to stop paying overs, as they apparently have been doing for 20 years, or because there's simply no money in the cap to pay them?

Anyway, I have no idea and it's just a gut feeling, we'll see.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

T_R wrote: May 18, 2018, 4:23 pm

Remember, the word on that street was the Canberra was working on the full $10m salary cap, and got caught out.
-PJ- wrote: May 18, 2018, 4:11 pm The club has stood its ground and not payed Boyd what he wanted.

Because they suddenly woke up and decided to stop paying overs, as they apparently have been doing for 20 years, or because there's simply no money in the cap to pay them?

Yep, let's just chill. It's Friday..have a beer.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote: May 18, 2018, 5:33 pm
T_R wrote: May 18, 2018, 4:23 pm

Yep, let's just chill. It's Friday..have a beer.
Can't. Having dinner here tonight https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Kinki.html The food is great, but the beer list is a scandal.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't see how this is possible.
It would depend on how the other contracts are loaded PJ. I reckon the likes of Havili and Cotric would be in for substantial increases on their 2018 money in 2019. If there were other contracts that were back loaded then that would also have a cap impact.

As for players we should be looking for a mobile prop and a half with a consistent kicking game imo.

Given our fading away at the back end of matches we need to change our training routine imo. We also need a defensive coach who can get more linespeed out of our players (linked to higher fitness levels) and who can teach technical skills such as locking up the football in tackles.
The basics of a straight line on kick chase also needs to be re-learned.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

We offered Boyd and Paulo contracts. We have at least what we offered and they didn't take. Anything that eats into that portion from now is all new spending, not backended.
There's more too with our (550k?) offer to Sezer and reduced (similar?) offer to Austin. While those guys haven't signed those deals that money is there to be used.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Someone in the squad has to be soaking up the cap! Appreciate Wighton is on marquee $ but there must be others as well who are on overs. The risk is we use the cash set aside for paulo and boyd to retain the others. But I honestly can't see that happening. I think the club is approaching this the right way. There are clubs in serious trouble cap wise in manly and the dogs. Para would also be keen to make changes. Who knows who will fall out from that. Look at the knights last year. Couldn't sign anyone and then all of a sudden quality players were falling out of the woodwork
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Someone in the squad has to be soaking up the cap! Appreciate Wighton is on marquee $ but there must be others as well who are on overs. The risk is we use the cash set aside for paulo and boyd to retain the others. But I honestly can't see that happening. I think the club is approaching this the right way. There are clubs in serious trouble cap wise in manly and the dogs. Para would also be keen to make changes. Who knows who will fall out from that. Look at the knights last year. Couldn't sign anyone and then all of a sudden quality players were falling out of the woodwork
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

FROG wrote: May 19, 2018, 4:33 am Someone in the squad has to be soaking up the cap! Appreciate Wighton is on marquee $ but there must be others as well who are on overs. The risk is we use the cash set aside for paulo and boyd to retain the others. But I honestly can't see that happening. I think the club is approaching this the right way. There are clubs in serious trouble cap wise in manly and the dogs. Para would also be keen to make changes. Who knows who will fall out from that. Look at the knights last year. Couldn't sign anyone and then all of a sudden quality players were falling out of the woodwork
We should be prepared for others leaving once their current contracts are up. I mean the certain current players who are getting overpaid. A vast majority of this squad should be looking at reduced offers based on current form.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Empty the tank indeed.

This team cracks me up. Someone send that bloke a video of Brad Clyde.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I dont think anybody understands the inner workings of the cap. The blokes paid to do it at clubs **** it up all the time so your average punter with no access to any actual data has nfi.

But question. Manly were in deep strife with their cap, apparently needing to offload players. Then all of a sudden they sign Hodgkinson mid season. Sure he wouldn't be on huge money but **** me, how does that work?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: May 19, 2018, 8:18 am I dont think anybody understands the inner workings of the cap. The blokes paid to do it at clubs **** it up all the time so your average punter with no access to any actual data has nfi.

But question. Manly were in deep strife with their cap, apparently needing to offload players. Then all of a sudden they sign Hodgkinson mid season. Sure he wouldn't be on huge money but **** me, how does that work?
At a 'guess' they only have to pay the remainder of his salary for this season, so not a full years worth. They have released someone to England (Lussick?) and either retired or received insuarancr payout for another injured forward, so the balance of both of those contracts if available to cover the Hodko payment.

There is also potential for him to be in minimum this year with the balance of contract backended to next year once they release Tapou to Canberra😁
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: May 19, 2018, 8:18 am I dont think anybody understands the inner workings of the cap. The blokes paid to do it at clubs **** it up all the time so your average punter with no access to any actual data has nfi.

At a 'guess' they only have to pay the remainder of his salary for this season, so not a full years worth. They have released someone to England (Lussick?) and either retired or received insuarance payout for another injured forward, so the balance of both of those contracts if available to cover the Hodko payment.

There is also potential for him to be on minimum this year with the balance of contract backended to next year once they release Tapou to Canberra😁
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Plus if you play crap enough you free up the space you left to account for rep bonuses. I assume that’s the Raiders strategy.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The cap is a beast. A fluid, constant changing beast with constant variables.

As Greg said, we've no idea.

I do concur with TR, though. Don budgeted for $10 mill. It came out significantly less.

Now, we don't know what's going to happen with Jack. That affects who we can potentially sign.

Then we have Ned and Havilii who will expect upgrades.

Bateman got upgraded too, I bet. Not much, but it's still more.

Plus we've got what....14 players off contract this year? Each wanting more?

Yeah, good luck Donny.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Ok just had a look, most off contract players are depth.

Sia, Papalii, Sezer, Paulo, Havilii, Lui, Austin off this year. I expect to lose Paulo, unsure about Austin (he's had no real publicised interest from ANYONE), confident about the rest staying.

Gubb has an option in clubs favour for next year.
Hingano an option in his favour for next year

Then there's Oldfield, Garvey, and a bunch of depth players who haven't played NRL.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Curreny Salary estimates on the above?

Havili and Lui $180k each
Paulo $500k
Sezer $550k
Austin $550k
Sia $600k
Papa $750k

I think Lui would stay for $220k 2 years
Havili $250k 3 years
Sezer $600k 3 years
Papalii $800k (just give him 4 years Don)

Austin knocked back $700k, so we know where the club stood, and they won't return that offer. If he stays, it's for less. Maybe $600k?

Yes I'm bored

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

No one here has any idea what players are earning..ever.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: May 19, 2018, 2:35 pm Curreny Salary estimates on the above?

Havili and Lui $180k each
Paulo $500k
Sezer $550k
Austin $550k
Sia $600k
Papa $750k

I think Lui would stay for $220k 2 years
Havili $250k 3 years
Sezer $600k 3 years
Papalii $800k (just give him 4 years Don)

Austin knocked back $700k, so we know where the club stood, and they won't return that offer. If he stays, it's for less. Maybe $600k?

Yes I'm bored
That's high for Sia. I would've thought he was on more like 300k since its his original contract still. He has probably earnt an upgrade.
RTW
David Furner

Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by RTW »

No way do you upgrade Havali, regardless of how good he has been. In 6 weeks he is a back up hooker who is going to give you 20minutes per week off the bench. If another club wants to come in and offer him more then the minimum let him walk. Hodgson once fit is ( in 2019) is an 80 minute player if we need him to be.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I upgrade Havili
He plays 14 as a 9 and 13

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Even if Hodgo is an 80 minute player, Havilli is still worth a couple of hundred K as a backup hooker.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

edwahu wrote:Even if Hodgo is an 80 minute player, Havilli is still worth a couple of hundred K as a backup hooker.

Not in a team that manages their salary cap well.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

edwahu wrote:Even if Hodgo is an 80 minute player, Havilli is still worth a couple of hundred K as a backup hooker.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I thought i remember reading an article around the time the cap figure came in at 9.4 that the club, had projected higher than that, but not as high as some clubs like the Bulldogs who penned in 10m... I have a feeling there was a quoted figure of 9.7m

I cant seem to find it at the moment, but ill try and dig it up.
but this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32333

Furner said were talking about one player to get cap compliant, which ended up being Baptiste. We then signed like other players on probably much lower deals, so it's hard to imagine the club had budgeted for 10 mil and only had to release Baptiste to get under. Unless we had Baptiste on 800k a year (that'd be -800k + $200k for Garvey/Havili if they are Min wage)

9.7ish makes way more sense give the moves we made to be compliant.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

RTW wrote:

You don’t think 200k for a great hooker with back row coverage, playing 30-40 mins a week isn’t good value? Ok sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: May 19, 2018, 5:06 pm

So you want backup hookers on minimum wage only? Who do you have in mind?