All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by dubby »

Good point Nick. I'd forgotten that.

Dusty sums up Havilii. He's a good solid player. Can play 9, 13 or even 7 in a pinch. Frankly, if you upgrade Bateman you HAVE to upgrade Havilii.

I think Havilii can get better. He's still finding NRL fitness and consistency. Once he gains that he's a very handy player for another 2-3 years
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

El_Capitano wrote:
RTW wrote:
edwahu wrote:Even if Hodgo is an 80 minute player, Havilli is still worth a couple of hundred K as a backup hooker.

Not in a team that manages their salary cap well.
You don’t think 200k for a great hooker with back row coverage, playing 30-40 mins a week isn’t good value? Ok sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I said previously I think we push Hodgson out to an 80min hooker in 2019. If that is the case then you are asking yourself if Havali is good enough for a 20-30 min stint in the middle instead of someone like Batemen, which is a different argument.

Havali is someone I would like to keep but successful clubs spend more on a few top end players and as a result have to have a lot of minimum wage players on their books. Havali would happily fit that role for mine.

I am also happy to roll the dice that Hodgson doesn’t have a season long injury. Which would have hit me in the ass this year but as back up I am sure Garvey is minimum wage and would do for the 3 or 4 games stint throughout the season.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

El_Capitano wrote:
RTW wrote:
edwahu wrote:Even if Hodgo is an 80 minute player, Havilli is still worth a couple of hundred K as a backup hooker.

Not in a team that manages their salary cap well.
You don’t think 200k for a great hooker with back row coverage, playing 30-40 mins a week isn’t good value? Ok sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I said previously I think we push Hodgson out to an 80min hooker in 2019. If that is the case then you are asking yourself if Havali is good enough for a 20-30 min stint in the middle instead of someone like Batemen, which is a different argument.

Havali is someone I would like to keep but successful clubs spend more on a few top end players and as a result have to have a lot of minimum wage players on their books. Havali would happily fit that role for mine.

I am also happy to roll the dice that Hodgson doesn’t have a season long injury. Which would have hit me in the ass this year but as back up I am sure Garvey is minimum wage and would do for the 3 or 4 games stint throughout the season.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Havili should be resignedly on nothing more than close to minimum wage.

I don’t agree at all with how people are thinking he is going to be a 30-40 minute player playing hooker/lock for us ?

If Hodgson responds well after the pre season then Havili is going to be playing the Baptiste role of 2017 where he will be lucky to get onto the field some games.

And like it or not, unless Bateman starts at 13 (which I doubt) then he is on the bench and replacing whoever is in the 13.
dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

-PJ- wrote:No one here has any idea what players are earning..ever.
Or how much of that is on the cap. Then there are bonuses etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I would have Havili ahead of Bateman in my 17 every day of the week.

Havili's level of play is at an NRL standard. Bateman is a fringe first grader at best.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Havili is one of the positives to come out of this season.

I'd be leaving him there with Garvey 14 and Hodgson as half. That way you can punt both Austin Sezer and be seriously in the market for another half.

Lets take the Dogs model as a perfect example of people under rating reserve grade players, I give you Damien Cook.
WorkChoice
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

I think the Warriors this year have looked at their best when Jazz Tevaga comes off the bench and plays in tandem with Luke at a 13/9 role, which I could see Havili doing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We need a bench utility. I see Havili as a good option for that role.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 20, 2018, 7:26 am I would have Havili ahead of Bateman in my 17 every day of the week.

Havili's level of play is at an NRL standard. Bateman is a fringe first grader at best.
No arguement from me on this point - but we can be pretty sure that Ricky ain’t dropping Bateman at all.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

There is no arguement from me that Havili should be resigned and would fit/complement our side perfectly in the number 14.

My issue is what role exactly will he play and make sure we do not overpay for that role.

I can’t see him playing anymore than bit part minutes at hooker next season with Hodgson fully fit. Ricky has shown plenty of times in the past he is more than happy to give his bench hookers less than 10 minutes a match. And nor should he be getting anymore than that at hooker when our number 1 is probably our highest paid payer.

So like I said weeks ago regarding this same subject, we should be waiting until we get a much clearer picture on what exactly our forward pack is going to look like next season before we decide what Havilii’s price tag should be.

Are we keeping Papa and is he playing 13 or 8 ? Is Bateman moving to 13 or Whitehead moving back in to accomodate this rumoured English fella, how many genuine props are on the books and does Ricky decide Bateman is in the prop rotation ?

Even if he beats out Bateman for that bench backrow role, we hopefully will have 3 x 80 minute internationals starting anyway, how many minutes do you actually expect him to get ?

Regardless it’s all needs to be sorted through before we go throwing any sort of money to a bloke who is going to be riding the pine for the majority of the season.
RTW
David Furner

Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by RTW »

scotchberry wrote:There is no arguement from me that Havili should be resigned and would fit/complement our side perfectly in the number 14.

My issue is what role exactly will he play and make sure we do not overpay for that role.

I can’t see him playing anymore than bit part minutes at hooker next season with Hodgson fully fit. Ricky has shown plenty of times in the past he is more than happy to give his bench hookers less than 10 minutes a match. And nor should he be getting anymore than that at hooker when our number 1 is probably our highest paid payer.

So like I said weeks ago regarding this same subject, we should be waiting until we get a much clearer picture on what exactly our forward pack is going to look like next season before we decide what Havilii’s price tag should be.

Are we keeping Papa and is he playing 13 or 8 ? Is Bateman moving to 13 or Whitehead moving back in to accomodate this rumoured English fella, how many genuine props are on the books and does Ricky decide Bateman is in the prop rotation ?

Even if he beats out Bateman for that bench backrow role, we hopefully will have 3 x 80 minute internationals starting anyway, how many minutes do you actually expect him to get ?

Regardless it’s all needs to be sorted through before we go throwing any sort of money to a bloke who is going to be riding the pine for the majority of the season.

Most sensible post I have read in a while and I agree 100%.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We have run with a bench hooker every year Stuart has been at the club. I don't see that changing. Even then, I think we need good depth in spine positons, especially with Hodgson coming back from an ACL and the likelihood we will have relatively untried players at potentially all of 1,6 and 7.
RTW
David Furner

Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by RTW »

Depth in the spine is a myth. If you are to win the comp you need two outstanding, 1 very good and one good spine players.

If you have a spine that is capable of winning a comp your depth is a young kid looking to learn off the player in front of him. They are capable of covering a few games here or there and usually perform okay in those games because the other key players step up.

If you go into the season not knowing who your starting halves are because you hedged your bets and sold it as having depth then you will get what we have got - inconsistency and underperformance!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Why can't Havili be 14 and play minutes at lock? If Hodgson or one of our halves go down then Hodgson to half and Havili to hooker. I would have him playing 20mins or so in the middle most games and have him there as the utility in case of injury. Then you would have two props on the interchange and the last bench player could be a second rower subbing in 20mins for John Bateman if we play him in 2nd row for example. I think Luke Bateman becomes the odd man out in this scenario and his role shifts to an 18th man type forward.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 20, 2018, 4:24 pm Why can't Havili be 14 and play minutes at lock? If Hodgson or one of our halves go down then Hodgson to half and Havili to hooker. I would have him playing 20mins or so in the middle most games and have him there as the utility in case of injury. Then you would have two props on the interchange and the last bench player could be a second rower subbing in 20mins for John Bateman if we play him in 2nd row for example. I think Luke Bateman becomes the odd man out in this scenario and his role shifts to an 18th man type forward.
I don’t think anyone is actually saying to get rid of him and argueing that he couldn’t play lock or their isn’t a need for a utility.

I think he is the perfect 14, like the Slade Griffin, Ryan Hinchliffe, Jamie Buhrer mould only better.

The point of my arguement is how much we pay him for most likely no more than 15-20 minutes a match.

Think about it, Hodgson is going/should be playing 65+ minutes each week.

Then I’m pretty confident that our backrow next season is going to comprise any make up of Papalii, Whitehead, Tapine and English Bateman.

That’s 4 internationals there - how many minutes exactly do you think Havili is going to get off of them at lock ? Most likely no more than that 15-20 minutes a match and that’s if he is lucky.

For the role he is most likely going to play for us next season he is not a priority resigning for us unless it’s extremely cheap.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Boyd is too slow. Sticky really need to open his eyes and get some of these young guys a go!! If Boyd comes off the bench we need energy, not a slower player!!! Now glad too see him go.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

The argument is not what Havili can offer it is what we should be paying him. Successful clubs convince players such as Havili to play for very little money so they can invest in a decent set of halves.

We for what ever reason decided to take the Oprah approach.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Would be very happy if we can offload Boyd prior to June 30. Offering very little other than the matches he came up against potential suitors.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 21, 2018, 11:12 am Would be very happy if we can offload Boyd prior to June 30. Offering very little other than the matches he came up against potential suitors.
Thats dependant on when Paulo is due back I think.

Running with neither of them for a spell would not be great.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Tbh, the way he's playing he should be at Mounties. It's not sour grapes, he's just not doing the work we need him to.

Give Knight or another youngster a crack.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Coastalraider wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 21, 2018, 11:12 am Would be very happy if we can offload Boyd prior to June 30. Offering very little other than the matches he came up against potential suitors.

Got to get used to having the worst forward pack in the NRL sooner rather than later. Still can't believe we haven't been linked to Klemmer or Taupau

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: May 21, 2018, 9:59 am The argument is not what Havili can offer it is what we should be paying him. Successful clubs convince players such as Havili to play for very little money so they can invest in a decent set of halves.

We for what ever reason decided to take the Oprah approach.
Key word been successful clubs. It's chicken and the egg. We have access to players who need competition to perform.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

SeeBee101 wrote: May 21, 2018, 3:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

Got to get used to having the worst forward pack in the NRL sooner rather than later. Still can't believe we haven't been linked to Klemmer or Taupau

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Just cos we're not linked to them doesn't mean it isn't happening. Believe everything you read in the media do you? We never get linked to anyone. Everyone off contract is either going to the roosters or broncos you know how it works.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Timbo wrote: May 21, 2018, 1:51 pm Tbh, the way he's playing he should be at Mounties. It's not sour grapes, he's just not doing the work we need him to.

Give Knight or another youngster a crack.
Gee I think it just might be sour grapes. Right now he's in our best 17 so he plays.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2018, 6:53 pm Shannon Boyd vows to empty the tank for Canberra Raiders

Departing prop Shannon Boyd has vowed to empty the tank before he leaves Canberra, telling his Raiders teammates he will throw his 122 kilogram frame into every contest until the end of the season.

"[Boyd] loves it here, this is home for him. But this is part of our job and this is where he's going," said Raiders winger Jordan Rapana. "He will obviously be missed. But what he said to [the players] was that he's going to give us everything for the remainder of the year, which I know he will.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zfwe.html
So..how many times has the tank been emptied since May17 ?

You're telling porkies Shannon..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

-PJ- wrote: July 1, 2018, 3:35 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2018, 6:53 pm Shannon Boyd vows to empty the tank for Canberra Raiders

Departing prop Shannon Boyd has vowed to empty the tank before he leaves Canberra, telling his Raiders teammates he will throw his 122 kilogram frame into every contest until the end of the season.

"[Boyd] loves it here, this is home for him. But this is part of our job and this is where he's going," said Raiders winger Jordan Rapana. "He will obviously be missed. But what he said to [the players] was that he's going to give us everything for the remainder of the year, which I know he will.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zfwe.html
So..how many times has the tank been emptied since May17 ?

You're telling porkies Shannon..
Every game - except he’s started driving a Prius since signing with the tits.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I think the fuel line that runs from tank to heart is blocked by filthy E10.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think you are too hard on Shannon. He carries a lawnmower fuel tank in his Mac Truck body.

Doesn’t take much to empty his tank and he is keeping up to his word.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd reveals he met Garth Brennan the night before the Canberra Raiders clash with the Gold Coast Titans

Gold Coast recruit Shannon Boyd says he would have stayed at the Canberra Raiders for less money in 2019, but felt he needed a change... and that's why he accepted the offer at the Titans. Boyd also reveals he met with the opposition coach, Garth Brennan, for dinner the night before the Raiders Round 9 clash with the Titans in Canberra this year.

"I was always going to try to be a one-club player and stay at Canberra but I think my football was a little bit stale down there. It wasn’t so much the contract itself, I was happy to stay at Canberra for less money, it was just that I needed to start playing some better footy and I needed a fresh start."

Read more: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sp ... 7b84ca0af8
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: Come on Shannon, no one is going to buy that **** and you shouldnt be selling it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Bless

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He also admits in the interview he was "playing for a contract" in that game against the Titans...

It was one of his few decent games for the year... and to top it off, he admits he met the opposition coach the night before turning out for the Raiders. In my view, unprofessional, and as soon as he signed with the Titans we saw that attitude on field. Very disappointing.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I’m with you GE, phoned it in

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:16 pm he admits he met the opposition coach the night before turning out for the Raiders. In my view, unprofessional,
Maybe in 1986, it's the professional era, he was on his time, he's free to do as he pleases and as a free agent he is free to choose where he decides to play football. Nothing unprofessional about that.
He's got every right to speak to other clubs and coaches in his own time, as our club does to speak to players who are free agents... I've bever seen you once criticise a player for being unprofessional for speaking with us whilst contracted to another club.

Be intellectually honest about what you criticise a player for.