Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Is Boyd on the way out?

Post by Botman »

Pigman wrote: May 1, 2018, 8:20 pm Boy it would be quite a situation if Ricky Stuart silo'd Paul Vaughan, a Gungahlin Bulls junior out of the club, to sign and retain Paulo and Boyd, only to see those two leave him high and dry in the same year the local kid got a long overdue Blues jersey..

Quite a situation.

Anyone willing to give me odds on that? Paul Vaughan to play origin, parlayed with both Paulo and Boyd leaving?

Never mind though, the future face of the Players Union v NRL on CTE compensation, Luke Batemen (who i like btw and think is more talented than he's given credit for but is not a lead book end) will be re-signed shortly.
Ho hum
Throw enough darts!
haha
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by julian87 »

Well done on that one.

Look Boyd is a first grader. But he really should have never played for Australia and that gave him a ridiculous asking price.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i like Boyd, think he's a good player, and he has a lot of potential, but yeah, at that price tag... you cant match that **** for a 35-40 minute front rower who's sloppy defensively.

The trouble is not actually letting Paulo and Boyd go, because they both got deals i wouldnt want to match, the problem was putting all our middle forward eggs in a Paulo-Boyd basket and having them both walk 2 years later.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:16 pm he admits he met the opposition coach the night before turning out for the Raiders. In my view, unprofessional,
Maybe in 1986, it's the professional era, he was on his time, he's free to do as he pleases and as a free agent he is free to choose where he decides to play football. Nothing unprofessional about that.
He's got every right to speak to other clubs and coaches in his own time, as our club does to speak to players who are free agents... I've bever seen you once criticise a player for being unprofessional for speaking with us whilst contracted to another club.

Be intellectually honest about what you criticise a player for.
After a game, maybe. Not the night before. Unprofessional in my view. And that's an intellectually honest view.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:00 pm
Pigman wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:16 pm he admits he met the opposition coach the night before turning out for the Raiders. In my view, unprofessional,
Maybe in 1986, it's the professional era, he was on his time, he's free to do as he pleases and as a free agent he is free to choose where he decides to play football. Nothing unprofessional about that.
He's got every right to speak to other clubs and coaches in his own time, as our club does to speak to players who are free agents... I've bever seen you once criticise a player for being unprofessional for speaking with us whilst contracted to another club.

Be intellectually honest about what you criticise a player for.
After a game, maybe. Not the night before. Unprofessional in my view. And that's an intellectually honest view.
So which player/s who have met our club's staff and toured our facilities because they were in town, there was mutual interest and you've called them unprofessional

In fact dont give me players. Just one will do. Name me one player who you've held to that same standard coming INTO this club, rather than leaving it. Just one. I'll wait.
What about Tapine? We signed him and induced him to break a contract... you were cool with that. Way more unprofessional than what Boyd did in his own time as a free agent.

****, if we're being honest, i'd have liked him to meet with the Titans the night before every **** game, that was his best game of the season. A season of that might have been worth 650k
Last edited by Botman on December 14, 2018, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't know of any opposition player who's done that before a game against Canberra, who has then joined the Raiders. You name me one. Just one. I'll wait.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:05 pm I don't know of any opposition player who's done that before a game against Canberra, who has then joined the Raiders. You name me one. Just one. I'll wait.
Haha, no you're right. Its never happened.

This is what drives me crazy about sports fans. Fans who expect the players, who are the ones who actually **** do this, who provide this entertainment, who's talent and skills are the only reason these clubs exist. to make all the sacrifices and to show all the loyalty, and we're totally cool with the clubs doing whatever the **** they like

You, GE, are perfectly OK with the Raiders inducing Tapine to break his contract early because it benefits the laundry you support, but see red because Boyd, a free agent, meets a prospective new HC, in his own time, because the schedule lines up for him to do so.
Ridiculous.

A free agent doing due diligence on what might amount to his ONLY major, long term contract in his own time is more unprofessional than a club inducing a contracted junior to leaving his club early to join the colour laundry you support. Haha. Only in sports.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm still waiting for the report of how Joe Tapine met with the Raiders coach the night before he played with the Knights against Canberra in a NRL match.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im still waiting for why you think this club has ANY right to tell Shannon Boyd, a free agent by the laws of the industry he works in, what he can do and who he can speak to in his own free time.
Last edited by Botman on December 14, 2018, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Still waiting...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Me too.
We didn't own Shannon Boyd, he fulfilled his obligations to us on the day, once he clocks off that's his time, furthermore, unlike Tapine, he wasnt contracted to this club. He's not our slave, he owes us nothing.

Being professional would be fulfilling your obligations to your employer, as per your contract, and meeting a prospective future employer on your own time. Which is what Boyd did.

Being unprofessional would be head hunting a gun employee from an industry rival and then inducing him to break his contract early at a vital stage of their calendar. Which is what we've done.

And you're off with the fairies if you think this club has never met with a free agent who was in town to play us in the lead up to a game. You're better than this. Be better.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Waiting... waiting... waiting...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Aren’t we all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m still waiting...
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Gave up waiting...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh Boydy...

#emptythetank
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I couldn't care less that he met the coach but clearly playing for a contract the next day shows how unprofessional the rest of his last 2 years were.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

At the end of the day he's gone.

And in my opinion that's a positive thing for us.

Thanks again Shannon.

#emptythetank
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I couldn’t care less if he met the coach before the game, unless he was giving away our game plan or something.

I care more about his horrendous metres gained stats, as a front rower who’s only positive attribute is his ability to make metres with the ball.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

There's no doubting the big fellas ability but he's coasted for the last two seasons on a few quality runs a game and having pretty lacklustre support from the rest of the props.

He's a good fit for the Gold Coast. Elite on his day but that day only comes around once or twice a season.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I don’t know if Boyd meeting with Brennan makes much of a difference to his performance the next day (perhaps it actually improved his performance) but the thing I get frustrated about in the inconsistency about mental and physical preparation.

Surely if players can meet prospective coaches the night before the match, it won’t do them any harm if they meet with fans the night before.

However we hear there is no time for this as it might affect their preparation.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I hear whispers that there were medical issues with Boyd that impacted on his ability to deliver on any consistent basis. I believe those issues are not yet resolved.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Cranky Old Man wrote:I hear whispers that there were medical issues with Boyd that impacted on his ability to deliver on any consistent basis. I believe those issues are not yet resolved.
Most of the squad must have medical issues then Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pretty obvious after the titans game that Boyd's biggest issue is himself. The only difference between his performance the week before the titans and during the titans game is how he applies himself on game day.
Not how we used him, not his fitness. If he could get that mental component under control he'd more than make up for his defensive issues. Not 600k make up but it'd still be a big improvement.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

One of the biggest issues was him getting selected to play for Australia when he clearly shouldn't have been. Big reputation on cruise control from that point forward.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 18, 2018, 5:57 am One of the biggest issues was him getting selected to play for Australia when he clearly shouldn't have been. Big reputation on cruise control from that point forward.
Yep, bang on. And you could tell by the way he left it in low gear the following season he thought he would just walk into a Blues jersey.

If Papa's conversion to the front comes of and Sutton adapts well to the NRL I really don't think we're worse off than last season. Two big ifs, but still.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

His next two years will be about the same as his last two years with us.
I dont see his defection coming back to bite us.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

zim wrote:Pretty obvious after the titans game that Boyd's biggest issue is himself. The only difference between his performance the week before the titans and during the titans game is how he applies himself on game day.
Not how we used him, not his fitness. If he could get that mental component under control he'd more than make up for his defensive issues. Not 600k make up but it'd still be a big improvement.
This can’t be true, Sticky said we don’t have any mental problems.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk