Moderator: GH Moderators

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Shannon Boyd signs with Gold Coast Titans

Post by hrundi89 »

Pigman wrote: May 17, 2018, 1:11 pm
T_R wrote: May 17, 2018, 10:01 am
greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2018, 7:22 am Yes, I was wrong.
No you weren't.

The value of an NRL contract to the club is not just in the performance on the field, it's the image rights of the player. I am stunned that the Titan's little photoshop effort is even vaguely acceptable.

If I were the Raiders, or the sponsors who are actually paying for the guy, I'd go nuts.
This is standard practise across sports though. You sign the player and get a photoshop of him in your kit for the social media ****. I dont think it's remotely a big deal other than it's a **** disgrace an NRL club's best photoshopper is that bad.

Jumping up and down or pursuing any sort of action on the image rights just seems super petty and a giant waste of time and thus money. We've got bigger issues to concern ourselves with than the poor photoshopping abilities of the Titooons
Why didn't they put his massive head on someone else's photo?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

hrundi89 wrote: May 17, 2018, 4:06 pm
No you weren't.

The value of an NRL contract to the club is not just in the performance on the field, it's the image rights of the player. I am stunned that the Titan's little photoshop effort is even vaguely acceptable.

If I were the Raiders, or the sponsors who are actually paying for the guy, I'd go nuts.
This is standard practise across sports though. You sign the player and get a photoshop of him in your kit for the social media ****. I dont think it's remotely a big deal other than it's a **** disgrace an NRL club's best photoshopper is that bad.

Jumping up and down or pursuing any sort of action on the image rights just seems super petty and a giant waste of time and thus money. We've got bigger issues to concern ourselves with than the poor photoshopping abilities of the Titooons
Trying to free roam snip that melon MS Paint was probably harder than just using the fill tool
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pigman wrote:
hrundi89 wrote: May 17, 2018, 4:06 pm
No you weren't.

Trying to free roam snip that melon MS Paint was probably harder than just using the fill tool
VeryImage
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Surely they could have found an old pic of Nate Myles. They do both have extreme foreheads so would have been almost too easy.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd vows to empty the tank for Canberra Raiders

Departing prop Shannon Boyd has vowed to empty the tank before he leaves Canberra, telling his Raiders teammates he will throw his 122 kilogram frame into every contest until the end of the season.

"[Boyd] loves it here, this is home for him. But this is part of our job and this is where he's going," said Raiders winger Jordan Rapana. "He will obviously be missed. But what he said to [the players] was that he's going to give us everything for the remainder of the year, which I know he will.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zfwe.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Tank MK2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thank God Shannon is going to leave nothing in the tank!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Gee, there's a throwback
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

No doubt part of his decision was seeing how well Shillo did at the Titans 😐
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Tanks Image
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Firstly
@TW that is a legitimately better photoshop job than the effort the Titooons put up. How **** embarrassing for them haha.

Secondly,
i.... Im just so glad the "Empty the tank" is back. Ive dearly missed it
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

EMPTY THE TANK BOYDY!!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I want to see GDs image of Shillo filling up the tank
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im going to dine out on this Emptying the Tank fiasco for the rest of 2018. I couldnt be happier about this
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

It really made my day.

Long overdue, I'd say.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I heard on the grapevine that Garth Brennan is furious that he's just bought a new model and has to fill up the tank himself. Lesson learnt in buying off the Raiders I guess.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Look for Tank#2 to start playing like a total EDIT, like the original tank.

#fury

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

So... reading the article it implies the NRL are 'considering' reducing' the interchange, and 'if' it happens then its an astute move by Ricky.

Now that we are losing Boyd and Junior, I'm sure the NRL will be 'convinced' by certain influential sectors that its not a good idea to reduce the interchange.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Reading the tea leaves, it looks like its going to come down, be it next year or in the 1-2 years following.
Most of the influential types are representing teams that have packs that are suited to limited interchange... so the winds are blowing in a certain way. But irrespective, Boyd and Paulo aren't worth the deals they are signing under the CURRENT interchange system based on level of play for us. So even if the interchange doesnt move, i still think it's the right call

What's important now, if Paulo does leave, is that the club get some middle forwards who can do the job at a price they are comfortable paying. If the front row next year is absolutely garbage because we didnt find adequate replacements, that's going to be a problem for the club. Sticking to valuations is fine but if there is no apparent plan in place, questions should and will be asked.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Pigman wrote: May 17, 2018, 7:45 pm Im going to dine out on this Emptying the Tank fiasco for the rest of 2018. I couldnt be happier about this
#PillowTalk
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

I'd love to hear Pillington's thoughts on the Boyd signing
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Pigman wrote:Im going to dine out on this Emptying the Tank fiasco for the rest of 2018. I couldnt be happier about this
He has really set himself up for this every game that there seems to be something left in the tank.

Why Shannon....why?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manchild wrote: May 17, 2018, 9:14 pm
Pigman wrote:Im going to dine out on this Emptying the Tank fiasco for the rest of 2018. I couldnt be happier about this
He has really set himself up for this every game that there seems to be something left in the tank.

Why Shannon....why?
and if experience in this realm has taught me nothing else, it's that there is ALWAYS something left in the tank :lol:

I've set the over/unders on his metres this week at 85.5. The unders might get banged in here
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Can’t wait to see it, the tank has been full for some time

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

I've never been a big fan.... But having had a look at what's available for next year.... If we're not having a red hot go at Klemmer, we're ******* crazy. Now that Boyd's gone, and Paulo in all likelihood... Surely.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Why is everyone saying we should be looking for a prop? You know how this club works:

We use that money to top up the under performing players, easy.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

boydy80 wrote:I've never been a big fan.... But having had a look at what's available for next year.... If we're not having a red hot go at Klemmer, we're ******* crazy. Now that Boyd's gone, and Paulo in all likelihood... Surely.
I don’t think we are, I think we will end up with Bateman and Sutton from England and that is it. Knight, Hunt and Gubb could fill a hole.
Unless we get a stop gap like Tim Grant or JWH who might fall out of flavour with their clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

dubby wrote: May 17, 2018, 7:52 pm Look for Tank#2 to start playing like a total EDIT, like the original tank.

#fury
He already plays like an EDIT more than half the time anyway.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Oh dear..

EMPTY THE TANK
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Empty the tank. Hahaha **** me that's great!

I look forward to the club signing some centres.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki

Post by Zip Zip »

More than happy with how this has played out. Happy for Boydy as he can't knock that back, especially when you're turning your brain to mush each week and happy that the Raiders aren't investing that much money in a position they shouldn't be. I've already given my rough break down of how I value the positions and 600k is too much for the front row IMO.

However, I don't think I totally agree with the people saying that the game is moving away from the big men. There'll always be a role for the good ones. Even when the interchange goes down to 6, the teams with size will continue to roll up the middle. Just gotta manage the interchanges with a few well-timed HIAs.

The Titans and Bulldogs have too much invested in their front row and I'm glad we're not going down that path. Guys like Sia and Lui are the way forward for us. Hard units who have a bit more mobility and can still make metres when needed.

I don't have any faith that we have a back up plan though :lol:
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If 8 carries for 60 metres is "emptying the tank" than bring it.....

Oh plus the 10 tackles..bring it BigBoydy.

If there's a game where Shannon was impressive it was his first stint against Newcastle.

That is the Shannon Boyd that represented the Kangaroos.

Anyway..we'll all know by fulltime if Boydy needs a refill or there's still some left over.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You know, I'm not so convinced we're going to have a huge pile of money lying around after losing these guys.

I have a suspicion that our salary cap position is much worse than we have been told.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Fantastic news about the tank being back. We should use it to make Canberra Stadium a fortress.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

T_R wrote: May 18, 2018, 12:28 pm You know, I'm not so convinced we're going to have a huge pile of money lying around after losing these guys.

I have a suspicion that our salary cap position is much worse than we have been told.
What was the plan if Paulo and Boyd accepted their 500 - 600k offers? Assuming no signings we haven't heard about surely it's safe enough to say that we have at least 1m to play with?
Although that's not a lot in todays $$.
Last edited by zim on May 18, 2018, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.