Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders resigned to losing Shannon Boyd

Post by Sossman »

CLIVEPALMERBYEBYE.mov

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Got no issue with this. I'd they talbled a decent 3 year deal and he said no then so be it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Gold Coast is a career limiting move for most players. I hope Boyd bucks the trend.

He is never going to be a star out of Canberra because our halves poor game management and rubbish kicking game make size a liability more than an asset.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Who knew country lads like money too.

I hope Mulholland didn't really spend monday trawling the market for props and we have a plan B that will be announced pretty quickly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd had the opportunity to show he could be a consistent starting prop on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately he didn't. And I can see why the club is putting a firm parameter around the value of the contract offer.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I am 100% on board with this as long as we are consistant and dont panic
It is perfectly reasonable and acceptable if our front row isnt as good as it could be because we didnt match outrageous offers. If we suffer because of that, fine, because long term that's how to correctly build the roster.
You evaluate a player, you give him a deal you think fits his level of play, you pay for what you are going to get, not what his manager tells you you're getting... long term, that's the way to do

What wont be acceptable is if we lose Boyd only to get desperate and over pay an average middle to replace him simply because we are desperate and have a need... if we have 600k in cap left over this time next year, so be it, maybe someone shakes free that we like.

Just stick firmly to these principles and im fine with losing guys for outrageous offers
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Pigman wrote:I am 100% on board with this as long as we are consistant and dont panic
It is perfectly reasonable and acceptable if our front row isnt as good as it could be because we didnt match outrageous offers. If we suffer because of that, fine, because long term that's how to correctly build the roster.
You evaluate a player, you give him a deal you think fits his level of play, you pay for what you are going to get, not what his manager tells you you're getting... long term, that's the way to do

What wont be acceptable is if we lose Boyd only to get desperate and over pay an average middle to replace him simply because we are desperate and have a need... if we have 600k in cap left over this time next year, so be it, maybe someone shakes free that we like.

Just stick firmly to these principles and im fine with losing guys for outrageous offers
Pigman for Raiders CEO.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Spot on Pigman. Don’t overpay for props, pay them what you think they are worth and hold firm.

Clubs generally run into cap trouble by investing too much cap outside the spine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's the over side of it, there is a split on the forum about who's worse out of Sezer and Austin, but the reality is neither have lived up to their promise. And upgrades at both positions are probably required if we actually want to win a comp

and as ive said, i dont think there is a half in the league who could play for this coach. He's had near 50 of them and they've all regressed. The priority for me is to ensure we are in a good position cap wise to sink money into the positions that matter. Hooker we're fine at, but any of the other spine positions could be upgraded. We need to position ourselves to be the next Knights, where we plunge into the Pongas/Pearce style recruitment and build around that.

Paying Shannon Boyd 700k a year is a short cut to a pretty ordinary football team. To get that sort of money i'd be wanting to have a front rower of Paul Vaugh... never mind.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I can't believe we lost Paul Vaughan and we ended up with Boyd.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Pigman wrote:I am 100% on board with this as long as we are consistant and dont panic

First time in a long time i agree with you lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I can't believe we lost Paul Vaughan and we ended up with Boyd.
I cant believe we lost Paul Vaughan and DIDN'T end up with Boyd.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:21 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I can't believe we lost Paul Vaughan and we ended up with Boyd.

Better yet, we lost Paul Vaughan to invest in Boyd AND Paulo
and 2 years later wont have ANY of them on the books... haha absolute fiasco.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

ah well at least we have Charlie Gubb!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’ll let Don and Ricky know, they will sleep well tonight knowing they have your approval.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:49 pm

I’ll let Don and Ricky know, they will sleep well tonight knowing they have your approval.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It'd be disingenuous to suggest either of those two have my "approval" at this point. But im sure they'll be buoyed by you having their pieces all up in your grill 24/7. Im sure your unconditional approval is worth at least twice, if not three times my vehement disapproval. Also helps with those awesome thumbs ups selfies
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Um, we don't have them because they've been offered much more elsewhere. All for around $650 -$700k per season.

Which was your point, wasn't it?

Sure, Vaughan was allegedly let go because he was had off field issues, but again he's earning about $650k per year BEFORE he plays SOO.

You just enjoy being polemic.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh dubby. You poor simple fool.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is an absolute debacle.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ivan Cleary was on NRL360 tonight. He was asked about how long it takes to rebuild a club - he left unsaid the obvious point that a new coach is usually brought in to address whatever it was the previous coach hadn't. He said it took at least three years, but there was none of that stuff about how long it takes for a coach to get the roster he wants and therefore owns; instead, he said two more interesting things. The first was that sometimes you might have to let go players who are club favourites, simply because they aren't the blokes who are going to win you the grand final. The second was that you might come in and then sign some new blokes, but they too might not be the blokes who would win you the grand final, they might be really valuable but they are actually just there to put you on the road to winning the grand final.

Does any of that remind you of a few people? To me, I'm thinking Fensom and Croker and Wighton. Then I'm thinking Boyd and Paulo and Austin and Sezar. And Bateman too. Maybe we shouldn't think three years is enough.

Now does anyone think Ricky Stuart subscribes to the same blueprint?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don’t think Ricky has a blueprint from what I can see.

I mean there’s barely a coherent strategy in a given game. Why expect a long term strategy?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I guess it was rhetorical... but thanks for the confirmation
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Paulo and Boyd are getting way too much for their minutes. Let them go cause I'd be pissed if the club paid stupid amounts to keep them.

As for Vaughn... no idea why this keeps coming up. He's a talent for sure and I'd love to see him here again. But he wasn't going to reach the level he is now here. He was the class clown in the team and needed the change in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've never been a big Shannon Boyd fan and I understand there may have been a bit of off field stuff with Vaughan, but it still **** me that's the way it worked out.

We'd be a completely different club right now if our best juniors like Carney, Milford, Dugan and Vaughan were committed to the Raiders and had their heads screwed on.

Oh well.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good on the club for sticking solid on this one.

Made an offer, player turns it down, bye bye player.

Where's Boydy gunna go shooting now ?

Main Street !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 14, 2018, 10:39 pm Ivan Cleary was on NRL360 tonight. He was asked about how long it takes to rebuild a club - he left unsaid the obvious point that a new coach is usually brought in to address whatever it was the previous coach hadn't. He said it took at least three years, but there was none of that stuff about how long it takes for a coach to get the roster he wants and therefore owns; instead, he said two more interesting things. The first was that sometimes you might have to let go players who are club favourites, simply because they aren't the blokes who are going to win you the grand final. The second was that you might come in and then sign some new blokes, but they too might not be the blokes who would win you the grand final, they might be really valuable but they are actually just there to put you on the road to winning the grand final.

Does any of that remind you of a few people? To me, I'm thinking Fensom and Croker and Wighton. Then I'm thinking Boyd and Paulo and Austin and Sezar. And Bateman too. Maybe we shouldn't think three years is enough.

Now does anyone think Ricky Stuart subscribes to the same blueprint?
Doesn't work for Cleary either. He hasn't won a comp.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

A new coach at the Raiders would come in with one of the best back rows in the league, two very capable hookers and probably the best wing pairing in the game.

He would also come in with a side that is poor; defensively, in game management and is mentally fragile.

With the League looking to go to 6 interchanges the likes of Boyd, who currently struggles to turn out 40 minutes of quality football, are numbered. I think with a different training regime he could be playing longer minutes but that isn't going to happen at the Raiders. It doesn't mean the end of the Big Men in League it just means the likes of Fifita who are big and can play longer quality minutes will be in even more demand. If Shannon Boyd can get the Titans to pay him $650K for the current output, I'd tell him to take it.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I agree with pigman and Red Raider above.

Shannon Boyd just gets left on the ground too much in the ruck. He has great post contact metres and it's beautiful to watch, but unless he's making over 10 hitups and 120+metres a game (out of his 40mins) then what is the point?

8 hitups for 81 metres on the weekend... It's just all to common for a bloke that is a liability in defence.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Boydy is great in full flight but in the defensive line he waddles around like me after 10 beers and a gutful of nuggets.

It's not a game for the big boppers anymore.

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote: May 14, 2018, 7:37 pm I am 100% on board with this as long as we are consistant and dont panic

I'll have one of those as well.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sossman wrote: May 15, 2018, 11:04 am Boydy is great in full flight but in the defensive line he waddles around like me after 10 beers and a gutful of nuggets.

See I disagree. There's room for big guys. People can't see the forest for the trees.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Teams have a game plan to run us around, lots of offloads and 2nd phase.. and it works

A pack of big units is outdated, and will only get worse if interchanges are cut
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

gangrenous wrote: May 14, 2018, 10:41 pm I don’t think Ricky has a blueprint from what I can see.

I mean there’s barely a coherent strategy in a given game. Why expect a long term strategy?
In 5 years I’ve seen 5 strategies/plans on game day that Stuart has implemented.

They are:

1: Kick it to Inglis and let Allwood tackle him out of the game :clap:
2: Stick our biggest prop at 5/8 :shock:
3: Stick our best half at hooker for the majority of the match :nooo
4: Play 15/16 men up against 17 :hmmm
5: Let the inmates run the asylum and hope for the best :thumbsup
Last edited by scotchberry on May 15, 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: May 15, 2018, 1:24 pm
Sossman wrote: May 15, 2018, 11:04 am Boydy is great in full flight but in the defensive line he waddles around like me after 10 beers and a gutful of nuggets.

See I disagree. There's room for big guys. People can't see the forest for the trees.
As I heard recently on a podcast, the forest is made up of the trees! There wouldn’t be a forest if it wasn’t for the trees. A forest is in fact just a collection of trees
So sometimes it’s worth looking at the damn trees!

Of course there is room for big men in RL. It’s not different to people years ago bemoaning the loss of the little man
They just have to have the athletic abilities and skill set that are required for today’s game

You can be as big as you like, as long as you have natural and efficient gait, as long as you are extremely mobile and agile, and have some balls skills

There is no room for Mark Tookey/Martin Lang in this league. Slow, lumbering, one dimensional players aren’t useful, and so they aren’t a part of the game anymore
And it’s better for it.