Training techniques

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Training techniques

Post by Coastalraider »

I heard a very interesting Podcast with Anthony Seibold this week, talking about personal development and training techniques at the Bunnies.

He spends a lot of time on personal development as a manager of men, even linking up with national squads at the recent Comm Games to look into how those squad coaches were motivating their teams for tournaments.

But the most interesting part was that their standard day was ball work in the morning, and gym/recovery and video in the afternoons.

Sounds simple, but the reason being that for ever single ball session train, they film the entire session with a front on camera, a side on camera, and a drone camera. They can then revisit all of the footage of those sessions form multiple angles that same afternoon for debrief. I initially thought this would be great technology to use for attacking drills, but then thought how useful it could be in our squad for defensive shapes and positioning.

Very interesting use of fairly simple technology, I wonder if we have done anything like this? Has anyone seen drones at training sessions??
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Training Techniques

Post by sprintman »

Reading other teams forums the comment that the Raiders are unfit comes up repeatedly. Some of ours definitely are unfit
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seems like a lot of effort for a training session. Do they actually watch it?
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

All NRL teams film training sessions. Drones will be the norm sooner rather than later. EPL and NFL have used them for a number of years. The level of detail Seibold is using is a personal choice as to the level of detail you want to drill to as a coach. Some coaches will be pro that much info ie younger more tech savvy types other old school coaches like Bennett would not citing “paralysis by analysis” can be harmful to a footy team . Like I said personal preferences for coaches .
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: April 20, 2018, 1:28 pm Seems like a lot of effort for a training session. Do they actually watch it?
It didnt sound like they sit down as a team to watch the entire session - it seemed like they could use it as a highlights package type of thing to review.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Very interesting CR
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I start off slow.
Build momentum during the session.
Reach my maximum intake.
Have a big drink of water.
And..go to bed.
Haven't had a hangover in 20yrs.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Look, I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm quite unfit myself...

However,

Shouldn't fitness be the easiest and most important thing to get right?

When I watch the Raiders it appears to my untrained eye that a lot of our attack is sparked by individual brilliance and opportunistic play.

If we want to foster ad hoc playmaking and really creative attack.. just make sure everyone is fit as **** so we always have players backing up and around the playmaker / break-making player ready to support?
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Our attack burns too much energy and puts our defence under excess load.
Also our big bodies are outweighing the mobility imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

stupid server
Edrick The Entertainer
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Just another former Raider coaching in the NRL...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Training techniques

Post by Ruben Daley »

I don't get the unfit tag that I keep reading. The team has for the last year or more had very slow line speed right from the kick-off. The last two games, a few sporadic games last year and a fair bit of 2016, we had fast line speed for the whole game. The team is fit. Some guys' fitness comes and goes, some depending on injury, others depending on whether they've smashed seven Big Macs a day during the World Cup but I just don't agree with the idea that the club isn't training for fitness adequately and/or the bulk of the team isn't fit.

Secondly, the big bodies thing is a myth. We have two genuinely huge units in Paulo and Boyd (one soon to leave). We had three last year with the Coal Train. Papa isn't in the giant category. He's just heavyish. After that, Whitehead, Tapine, Sia, Bateman, Lui, Gubb, and Knight are all somewhere between small and middle for forwards. Our pack was bigger in 2016 when we had Vaughan in the rotation and Sia at lock instead of Bateman. It's the smallest it's been in years.

This is getting away from the original post about the use of drones etc. but these ideas keep coming up and it feels like guys have just got hold of an idea and repeated it without actually looking at what's going on.

p.s. I would have thought it'd make more sense to do skills late in the session, at least sometimes, so it's under fatigue to replicate game situations.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

The Waratahs film all their on field training sessions with multiple cameras. They actually wanted to start hiring scissor lifts and film from four corners at elevated levels too, but the training ground wouldn't let them due to WHS issues.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I use a drone at my under 11s training Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But that’s not for filming right? That’s just for tactical strikes on those who aren’t performing?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You take out just ONE player from the air in the preseason, and the whole team lifts.

Hang on....isn't that what the Waratahs were doing? What's all this about filming something?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:You take out just ONE player from the air in the preseason, and the whole team lifts.

Hang on....isn't that what the Waratahs were doing? What's all this about filming something?

snipers on all four corners of the field
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I already said, snipers weren't allowed. WHS red tape gone too far.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good post Coastal Raider. I am sure there are a lot of differing techniques tried to bring success to a club. I think watching the game day attacking moves of the upcoming opposition has a lot of merit. The moves can then be replicated in training and a counter defensive plan put in place and practiced. The use of cameras/drones can then be used to identify that the defensive tactics are likely to prove successful on game day.

Sticky tried a new technique which worked a couple of weeks ago. He called the players soft. It has produced the desired change in defensive attitude. Whatever works.