All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: June 19, 2018, 4:30 pm Kalani Going has played a fair bit of second row for Mounties this year. He might scrape into the top 30.
He's got a bit of a young gallen about him without the grubbiness. Seems to get through the middle well despite his size. Defence is an issue out wide though.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:
edwahu wrote: June 19, 2018, 4:30 pm Kalani Going has played a fair bit of second row for Mounties this year. He might scrape into the top 30.
He's got a bit of a young gallen about him without the grubbiness. Seems to get through the middle well despite his size. Defence is an issue out wide though.
I don't rate him, he tries hard but the Alan tongue days are gone

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: June 19, 2018, 4:49 pm Calling Lachy Fitzgibbon Menzies 2.0 is a WILDLY BOLD claim.
Goodness me
Its in reference to his try scoring ability. He has 15 from 35. Longevity is too hard to guess.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

ALX22 wrote: April 23, 2018, 9:13 pm Interesting thread.

What position do you see Corey Horsburgh playing if an NRL debut occurs in the next 2 years? Lock or Prop?
What are your thoughts on Brodie Croft?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote:
zim wrote:
I don't rate him, he tries hard but the Alan tongue days are gone

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah I can't see him making the step up to first grade but he's still only young.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Matt wrote: June 19, 2018, 7:30 pm
ALX22 wrote: April 23, 2018, 9:13 pm Interesting thread.

What position do you see Corey Horsburgh playing if an NRL debut occurs in the next 2 years? Lock or Prop?
What are your thoughts on Brodie Croft?
Pressure got to him. Needs to work on his defence in QCUP. Don't see him leaving the Storm set up anytime soon.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pigman wrote:I'll never understand why Nine/Fox dont have access to this stuff and make it publicly available
That **** drives conversation, drives interest, drives engagement.

This code continues to be the best visual sport that is administered and presented in the worst way.
Compared with the AFL..

ImageImageImage
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This instalment of the Raiders scouting thread will look at Hooker. Thus far we have looked at Backrow, Lock, Halves and Prop. I’ll look to do a write up for each position as I get time. I’ll be looking at those players off contract in the NRL in both 2018 and 2019 for options. However, I might add the odd ‘surplus’ or ‘disgruntled’ player I think might be worth a shot. I am not across the ESL, so I won’t be looking there.

Hooker

Let’s have a look at what the Raiders are currently working with:
Hooker: Josh Hodgson
Backup: None
Off Contract: Siliva Havili, Craig Garvey

* Contract with option in clubs favour.
# May have signed elsewhere
^ Recently re-signed

So, according to the simplistic depth formula, we need:
Hooker: One
Bench: Four

Due to the nature of contracts, and the apparent worthlessness of the paper they are written on, we will look at the next two seasons of options. The reason for this is, the term ‘early release’ is becoming more and more of a common occurrence.

Hooker players off contract in 2018:
Kurt Baptiste, Billy Brittain, Manaia Cherrington, Josh Chudleigh, Robbie Farah, Craig Garvey, Harry Grant, Jake Granville, Siliva Havili, Cameron King, Apisai Koroisau, Issac Luke, Kaysa Pritchard, Mitch Rein, James Segeyaro, Cameron Smith, Tom Starling, Jazz Tevaga, Jake Turpin, Zac Woolford, Peter Wallace, Pita Godinet,

Hooker players off contract in 2019:
Damien Cook, Joshua Cook, Wayde Egan, Sione Katoa, Karl Lawton, Michael Lichaa, Jacob Liddle, Matt McIlwrick, Victor Radley, Reece Robson, Slade Griffin,

I’m not going to have a list of players ‘we could never get’ as this is a terrible mentality to recruitment to start with. However, I think we have to be realistic about our options, and I also think we need to be serious about our needs. Therefore, here is my ‘no fly zone’ and a brief reason why.

No Fly Zone 2018
Manaia Cherrington – Did a great job in his rookie year for the Tigers, and hasn’t been seen since switching to the Warriors.
Robbie Farah – Gone back home to retire.
Jake Granville – A very good player, and a livewire hooker. However, it looks like 80 minutes doesn’t suit him. It’s like he has to conserve energy to go the distance.
Cameron King – A solid option who can play 80 minutes. He has been starting for the Eels, and is therefore probably looking for a starting gig, however, he is a ‘job share’ at best hooker.
Apisai Koroisau – A very good attacking player. Is a little fragile and does miss tackles. Was in initial NSW Blues discussions this year.
Issac Luke – Definitely on the downward swing of his career, but is still a good player when fit.
Kaysa Pritchard – No better or worse than team mate Cameron King, but has pedigree and is more fragile.
Mitch Rein – If we picked him up, he couldn’t score dummy half tries against us. A very solid number 2 option, or job sharing option, as per what the Titans are doing.
James Segeyaro – I think he has gotten worse playing at the Sharks. Their style of play doesn’t fit his. He is a livewire type, and they are a grinding team.
Cameron Smith – Having a referee on our side would help. Will retire in purple, and therefore is a ‘we could never get’.
Peter Wallace – Retired due to injury.
Pita Godinet – A very long servant of the game, been very handy at hooker or half for Warriors, Wakefield, Manly, Tigers and Samoa. At 30 years old, he probably still has a few miles left in him for a depth signing.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: Billy Brittain, Harry Grant, Tom Starling, Jake Turpin

Players I have no information on: None.

Ex-Raiders:
Kurt Baptiste – We know the cap story, and hate that he landed at the Roosters.
Zac Woolford – A Raiders junior, went to the Bulldogs for an opportunity.

Options 2018:
Josh Chudleigh – A young kid born here in Canberra, but it was the Cowboys who gave him a shot, scoring on debut against us (his only NRL appearance). We are in the market for a depth hooker, probably a number three option. Can’t see why we wouldn’t look at a local kid who would command bottom dollar.
Jazz Tevaga – I have been very surprised with Jazz this year. He has turned himself into a very good lock. He has a very similar body type and game style to Havili. In the modern game, versatility is a must have, and Jazz fits the bill. He would also put pressure on fringe guys as I think he would be pushing for a bench spot in the pack. In all likelihood though, we will try to do something similar with Havili, and his first start at lock this week might be the first taste.

No Fly Zone 2019
Damien Cook – The current NSW hooker. Gun. Won’t sit behind Hodgson.
Wayde Egan – Is in a battle with team mate Katoa to win the hooker role for the rest of this year and next. Big wraps on the kid, and what little I’ve seen, he looks very capable.
Sione Katoa – As above, is in a battle with team mate Egan to win the hooker role for the rest of this year and next. Another of the Polynesian bigger body hookers, like Luke, Tevaga and Havili. A very solid option.
Karl Lawton – Actually played a lot of centre as a junior, but found his way to hooker. Was ok for the Titans last year, and has been ok for the Warriors this year. A solid depth option, however, unlike a most of these other guys, I get a real ‘stop gap’, short term fill in, vibe from him.
Michael Lichaa – He carved us up in the preseason game this year. That was his best game all year.
Jacob Liddle – Was the next big thing coming out of the Tigers. They brought Robbie back.
Slade Griffin – I feel for him, a third ACL tear of the left knee, just after debuting for the Kiwi’s in Denver. He was a massive part of the Knights ‘successful’ transition this year. Was very well liked at the Storm too.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: Joshua Cook, Reece Robson

Players I have no information on: None

Ex-Raiders:
Matt McIlwrick – I like McIlwrick, can play backrow, would be fine as depth, but Ricky moved him on.

Options 2019:
Victor Radley – Has converted to backrow or lock, and is killing it. Played in the halves as a junior apparently. He is a future gun (if he isn’t already), I’d have him in a heartbeat. Not a hooker option now, but was supposed to be the heir to Jake Friend’s throne until a move into the backrow, where he has thrived.

Re-Sign existing:
Craig Garvey – Not sure why, as he has been the best hooker in ISP this year, but hasn’t debuted for us this year. I was very keen to hear we signed his as depth last year, and thought he would start this year. I suspect there is something about his personality or off field stuff that has kept him out of favour. I suspect we will let him go, though he would still be a fantastic number three hooker.
Siliva Havili – By all accounts he is going to be re-signed. I love this option, and hope we are looking to make him a handy lock as well as hooker. Versatility is the key with reduced interchange. A start at lock this week has me excited.

Final Thoughts:
We have a world class hooker in Josh Hodgson, who is locked up long term. He is an 80 minute hooker too. We don’t need a starting hooker. In all likelihood, we don’t need a bench hooker either, as I suspect Siliva Havili will be re-signed after a great year for us. So, we only need a depth, and or versatility. Which makes this a very hard selection.

As its depth we are looking for, and its likely a number three role, any of Billy Brittain, Joshua Cook, Harry Grant, Reece Robson, Tom Starling or Jake Turpin could be an option at bottom dollar depth.

However, players like a Jazz Tevaga or Victor Radley, who can play at hooker, but will likely hold a spot elsewhere in the starting 17 might be a better option. Filling the team with versatility rather than positional depth. However, I suspect both these players will be long shots to get.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Another good write up. Thanks for taking the time.

FYI Radley extended with the roosters until the end of 2023.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Good write up, gives me sonething to look at at work!!
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: July 5, 2018, 4:03 pm Another good write up. Thanks for taking the time.

FYI Radley extended with the roosters until the end of 2023.
Makes it an even longer shot to get him then :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

chris83 wrote: July 5, 2018, 4:13 pm Good write up, gives me sonething to look at at work!!
Cheers
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Shame Garvey ran over Ricky's cat, because he is probably the best hooker in the NSW cup and perfect for coverage.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Manaia Cherrington back playing in the local Brisbane A Grade competition.

*Chudleigh has just had his second ACL surgery.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

ALX22 wrote: July 5, 2018, 7:22 pm Manaia Cherrington back playing in the local Brisbane A Grade competition.

*Chudleigh has just had his second ACL surgery.
Poor Chudleigh. ACLs are the devil.

Well, i guess i called it on Cherrington. Goneski
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Great write up.
It'd be a a bit of a punt on Josh Chudleigh after back to back recos. Easier to pick up any other guy looking for a chance at a prem with Mounties.
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

Jarome Luai - off contract.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

raider dos wrote: July 6, 2018, 11:07 pm Jarome Luai - off contract.
Definitely worth a punt.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

Timbo wrote: July 6, 2018, 11:12 pm
raider dos wrote: July 6, 2018, 11:07 pm Jarome Luai - off contract.
Definitely worth a punt.
He looked better in 1 game than Sezer has for 3 seasons
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Get Jarome
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This instalment of the Raiders scouting thread will look at Centres. Thus far we have looked at Hooker, Backrow, Lock, Halves and Prop. I’ll look to do a write up for each position as I get time. I’ll be looking at those players off contract in the NRL in both 2018 and 2019 for options. However, I might add the odd ‘surplus’ or ‘disgruntled’ player I think might be worth a shot. I am not across the ESL, so I won’t be looking there.

Centres

Let’s have a look at what the Raiders are currently working with:
Centres: Jarrod Croker © and Joseph Leilua
Backup: None
Off Contract: Sebastian Kris

* Contract with option in clubs favour.
# May have signed elsewhere
^ Recently re-signed

So, according to the simplistic depth formula, we need:
Centre: Two
Bench: Four

Due to the nature of contracts, and the apparent worthlessness of the paper they are written on, we will look at the next two seasons of options. The reason for this is, the term ‘early release’ is becoming more and more of a common occurrence.

Centre players off contract in 2018:
Sale Finau, Heath Gibbs, Dane Aukafolau, Kirisome Auva'a, Javid Bowen, Cory Denniss, Blake Ferguson, Asipeli Fine, Anthony Gelling, Shaun Hudson, Hymel Hunt, Jamayne Isaako, George Jennings, Robert Jennings, Brian Kelly, Brenko Lee, Ricky Leutele, Kane Linnett, Chanel Mata'utia, Pat Mata'utia, Sione Mata'utia, Josh Morris, Brent Naden, Justin O'Neill, Tom Opacic, Mosese Pangai, Junior Pauga, Jonathan Wright, Nathan Davis, Dale Copley, Esan Marsters,

Centre players off contract in 2019:
Zac Lomax, Waqa Blake, Sosaia Feki, Mahe Fonua, Aaron Gray, Konrad Hurrell, Michael Jennings, Solomone Kata, Taane Milne, Brad Parker, Tyrone Taukamo, Enari Tuala, Dylan Walker, Matthew Wright, Blake Ayshford,

I’m not going to have a list of players ‘we could never get’ as this is a terrible mentality to recruitment to start with. However, I think we have to be realistic about our options, and I also think we need to be serious about our needs. Therefore, here is my ‘no fly zone’ and a brief reason why.

No Fly Zone 2018
Kirisome Auva'a – Has had well publicised off field issues, but has been a solid outside back option for the Bunnies and Eels.
Javid Bowen – I really think Paul Green has missed a few tricks with his young outside backs. Bowen is one of those. He isn’t going to be a superstar, but he should have been a starting centre in North Queensland all year.
Cory Denniss – He is a fringe first grader at the Knights. I don’t see him progressing past that point, so as depth he would be fine.
Asipeli Fine – Has actually transitioned into the pack for the Dogs. Was a centre/ backrower, but is actually playing middle third for them.
Anthony Gelling – Is returning to England. Signed with Widnes for two years.
Jamayne Isaako – Has been a revelation this year for the Bronco’s and is now a Kiwi representative.
Robert Jennings – This year for the Bunnies he has proved he is a prototypical starting winger.
Brian Kelly – He was always a good attacking centre, but he has improved his defence in 2018. He still has work to do, but I can’t see Manly releasing him anytime soon.
Ricky Leutele – I believe Leutele is the second coming of Ben Pomeroy. Do I say more?!?
Kane Linnett – He has been a very serviceable player over the years, but one of the players I believe Paul Green has stuck with for too long.
Chanel Mata'utia – He is the worst of the Mata’atai’s, and I don’t think he is even good depth material.
Pat Mata'utia – Pat would have been a serviceable option in his previous contract period, not this upcoming one.
Sione Mata'utia – I can’t see the Knights moving him on, and I can’t see him signing a depth contract. He is also a HIA risk.
Josh Morris – He is at the end of his career and a marginal starter these days.
Justin O'Neill – He was one of Ferguson’s ‘bunnies’, and I can’t believe he was an Origin player.
Jonathan Wright – His NRL career is well at truly at an end at age 31. He can’t even feature in a heavily depleted Manly side.
Nathan Davis – He has had off field issues with his personal life and took a hiatus. He has also had a couple of horrific injuries. He would be depth only, but it would be a risky option.
Esan Marsters – Has been a revelation since bursting onto the scene last year for the Tigers and is now a Kiwi representative.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: Sale Finau,
Heath Gibbs, Dane Aukafolau, Shaun Hudson, Junior Pauga.

Players I have no information on: None.

Ex-Raiders:
Blake Ferguson – Left in disgrace. Just signed with the Eels.
Brenko Lee – Ricky let him walk a few years ago. I think he is a starting centre.
Brent Naden – Fantastic junior player at Penrith, played for Mounties, but never made the step up.
Mosese Pangai – Forgot to get to training on time the week he got selected to debut for the club. Was shipped out soon after.

Options 2018:
Hymel Hunt – He is a marginal starting centre, and has been a solid outside back option for the Bunnies. He could easily be a first choice outside back reserve.
George Jennings – He is probably the worst of Jennings brothers, even if Michael is all but done in the NRL, but with his older brother Michael, Bevan French, Jarryd Hayne, Brad Takarangi, and now Blake Ferguson, his position at the Eels isn’t certain. He probably more a winger than centre, but he would certainly a quality depth player.
Tom Opacic – He has proved for the Bronco’s that he is capable at NRL level. He hasn’t been as good as the Broncos were hoping he would be, but given he has been their utility on numerous occasions over the past season and a half; I’d say he is perfect depth material.
Dale Copley – He is a bit of a journeyman these days, having been at the Broncos, Roosters and now the Titans. He is an experienced player, who is a marginal starter, and capable at centre or wing.

No Fly Zone 2019
Waqa Blake – Blake is a very good player, and someone I wished we had grabbed when Ferguson left. Penrith aren’t going let he go easily, and if they do, he will want to start
Aaron Gray – He seems to have fallen of the face of the earth this year. He was good a couple of years ago. Has only played one game for the Sharks this year. I would have said he is a great depth option, but this fact worries me.
Konrad Hurrell – He played backrower the other day for the Titans, and looked gassed after 3 tackles. A destructive runner when in the mood, but a defensive liability, error and injury prone.
Michael Jennings – Lots of articles about him being the most expensive reserve grader in history. However, he was also picked for the Blues from reserve grade. It’s still a big pass from me.
Solomone Kata – Warriors hoped he was the better second coming of Hurrell; he isn’t. Still a solid player, but like Hurrell has injury, error, defensive and consistency issues.
Brad Parker – I can’t believe this guy keeps getting picked, even with the injury crisis at Manly. I really don’t see what they see in him. Not even as depth to be honest.
Enari Tuala – Took Paul Green a while to pick him, but he has gone ‘BOOM’. He has looked every bit an NRL player since getting on the field for the Cowboys. I can’t see him coming to play reserve grade now.
Dylan Walker – I once said Ennis would never come to Canberra, I was so very nearly wrong. I won’t be wrong about Walker, he will never play in Lime Green. He hasn’t been the same player since leaving Souths.
Blake Ayshford – This is plodderville. I’m surprised he lasted in the league as long as he did. However, as most of it was spent at a terrible Tigers, it’s easier to understand.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: Zac Lomax, Tyrone Taukamo

Players I have no information on: None

Ex-Raiders:
None

Options 2019:
Mahe Fonua – A year ago I would have said no way. However, until he broke his arm trying to tackle Michael Oldfield, he was great for the Tigers. If he was still playing well next year, Id say he is an experienced depth option.
Taane Milne – This one is a little controversial. Milne has an off field past that saw a promising talent emerge from the World Cup destined for big things at the Tigers, to a guy going through the courts, sacked from his club, and livelihood hanging on by a thread. Now, Penrith, or rather Gus Gould, has put his two cents in, trying to rehabilitate him. Which is a play to get him on their roster, no matter what he says publically. However, Milne has been playing for Mounties this year. I don’t know what his form is like, but he is young and talented, and Gould wants him. To me, that reason enough to seriously consider him. With his past, he will be cheap, looking for a chance to get back into the NRL. As he was sacked, he is actually available now, well, pending NRL approval. Might be worth the risk.
Matthew Wright – Has proved this year that he is a ‘Mr Fix-it’. That’s exactly what we are looking for. He can play fullback, wing, centre and hooker. I’d say that’s a very handy depth option. He isn’t the greatest player running around and isn’t a starter, but that sort of versatility is worth something to a squad.

Re-Sign existing:
Sebastian Kris – He was a very handy player in the under 20s system last year, and by all accounts is doing a solid job this season too. I don’t know enough to make a call either way really, but as its depth we are looking for, as the saying goes, ‘better the devil you know’.

Final Thoughts:
The more I watch Leilua play, the more I love Jordan Rapana. Rapana gets the best out of Leilua more often than not. He is also on a similar wave length, and frankly, I think he saves a few of Leilua errors with silly offloads too. At the crux of it, I see a very talented, but ultimately dumb footballer. Re-signing him was a questionable call in my opinion, especially the way Nick Cotric has come on. I see Cotric as being a force in the centres in the future, with a very similar style of play to Leilua, without as many errors. The right is his preferred side too.

However, with our centres locked down, we are really looking at the depth department. Ill rank the options we have:
1. Taane Milne
2. George Jennings
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Matthew Wright
5. Tom Opacic
6. Dale Copley
7. Mahe Fonua

I think Milne is the most talented of the bunch, and he has youth on his side. I really liked what I saw of him at the Dragons, and thought the Tigers had made an astute purchase. That was all confirmed at the World Cup, playing for Fiji. However, there are off field issues and NRL registration to deal with. The rest all have varying levels of NRL experience, and can play both centre and wing. I think Jennings and Hunt will want regular first grade. The rest are marginal, and therefore are probably known to be depth options.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we sign Bateman the depth chart would Croker, BJ, Cotric, Bateman, which is more than enough coverage before you look elsewhere.

However if we did bring one in I would agree Milne seems like an good option to pick up. I don't have a drama with his off field issues given he has copped his punishment. I think the NRL would register him without any dramas.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:41 am If we sign Bateman the depth chart would Croker, BJ, Cotric, Bateman, which is more than enough coverage before you look elsewhere.

However if we did bring one in I would agree Milne seems like an good option to pick up. I don't have a drama with his off field issues given he has copped his punishment. I think the NRL would register him without any dramas.
The old versatility juggle...

I agree, but at the same time, Bateman, and while we are touching on BRs at centre, Whitehead, aren't centres. I know Bateman has played centre for his country and done a reasonable job, most Poms would say that is/ was a terrible selection. This is the kind of thing you do for a 1-2 wk injury only.

However, if one of our starters went down long term, you would want a more permanent backup option. I realise in this instance it opens the door for Cotric, which is awesome too. As I think this is where he is destined to move to. Then its a case of a better wing option, and as useful as Oldie is, you aren't going to get a player who is better than avg at this level. You really want to find the next Cotric, Holmes, Jennings, or whatever, as depth to replace them - but ill get to the wingers soon :D
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

We should be sticking Seb Kris at mounties centre for the rest of the year to see how he goes.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 11:06 am We should be sticking Seb Kris at mounties centre for the rest of the year to see how he goes.
:thumbsup
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I get the Leilua issues. He makes dumb mistakes in attack and defence. But he is sooo dangerous with the ball. He is also unselfish. He works well with his winger, especially Rapana. He has a good rapour with his team mates, Austin excepted. And he seems like a team player to me. Better for overall team harmony.
Cotric might be better but I think he'll get his chance when the time is right.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:00 amDale Copley – He is a bit of a journeyman these days, having been at the Broncos, Roosters and now the Titans. He is an experienced player, who is a marginal starter, and capable at centre or wing.
Marginal starter. Yet still wins the skin over Croker... ;)
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:55 am
edwahu wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:41 am If we sign Bateman the depth chart would Croker, BJ, Cotric, Bateman, which is more than enough coverage before you look elsewhere.

The old versatility juggle...

I agree, but at the same time, Bateman, and while we are touching on BRs at centre, Whitehead, aren't centres. I know Bateman has played centre for his country and done a reasonable job, most Poms would say that is/ was a terrible selection. This is the kind of thing you do for a 1-2 wk injury only.

However, if one of our starters went down long term, you would want a more permanent backup option. I realise in this instance it opens the door for Cotric, which is awesome too. As I think this is where he is destined to move to. Then its a case of a better wing option, and as useful as Oldie is, you aren't going to get a player who is better than avg at this level. You really want to find the next Cotric, Holmes, Jennings, or whatever, as depth to replace them - but ill get to the wingers soon :D
Someone who watches a bit more esl might be able to comment but from reading the Wigan forums etc apparently Bateman has been really good at centre this year, much better than previous years when he’s played out wide for England etc.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Looking at that list I would happily see us sign Isaako as a fullback or at the very least drive his price up. Also Zac Lomax looked great in the lower grades.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:28 pm Looking at that list I would happily see us sign Isaako as a fullback or at the very least drive his price up. Also Zac Lomax looked great in the lower grades.
Yep, Zac Lomax looks the goods. He is pushing for a spot at Dragons. Lafai better 'watch his back'.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
Well there you go, I missed that.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

woppadingo wrote: July 9, 2018, 11:53 am I get the Leilua issues. He makes dumb mistakes in attack and defence. But he is sooo dangerous with the ball. He is also unselfish. He works well with his winger, especially Rapana. He has a good rapour with his team mates, Austin excepted. And he seems like a team player to me. Better for overall team harmony.
Cotric might be better but I think he'll get his chance when the time is right.
Yes to all of that. But our team cant defend, let alone defend dumb errors. BJ is very easy to love and hate... season long, and in the same game.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Matt wrote:
zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote:
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
TBH, I knew Tigz weren't letting him go. Esp as a Kiwi rep. I didn't look that hard for him.

With you guys all looking so hard, ill have to up my contracts game :P