Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt »

Looks like Lamb will be a Chook
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Matt wrote:Looks like Lamb will be a Chook
Why do these idiots go to strong clubs where they never get more than a fleeting shot at first grade.

For every Josh Mccrone and Blake Austin who get to play a host of NRL games we have promising players who go to Roosters, Storm, Broncos etc and their career fades away.

Player managers should be guiding their players to smarter decisions.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

BJ wrote:
Why do these idiots go to strong clubs where they never get more than a fleeting shot at first grade.

For every Josh Mccrone and Blake Austin who get to play a host of NRL games we have promising players who go to Roosters, Storm, Broncos etc and their career fades away.

Cronk has a season left in him at most, if the Roosters win the comp he may very well retire this year.

Keary seems to pick up a few injuries and is also every chance of playing Origin next year.

It is a first class organisation with first class coaching and has countless rep players to learn off.

Plus you don’t just get peanut butter sandwiches in your brown paper lunch bags!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: August 19, 2018, 10:32 am

No clue
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

No clue?

Let me help you out, the reason begins with "P" and ends in "layers want to play for good, well run clubs with good coaching, and a history of sustained success"
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 7:56 pm No clue?

Let me help you out, the reason begins with "P" and ends in "layers want to play for good, well run clubs with good coaching, and a history of sustained success"
Even if they are forever stuck in reserve grade?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Apparently so, because they consistently do it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 8:39 pm Apparently so, because they consistently do it.
Surely u wanna play FG and win, not just be at a successful club.

Though, i suppose if u figure u r a reserve grader, then the best club u can player for, the better it is
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 19, 2018, 8:40 pm
Pigman wrote: August 19, 2018, 8:39 pm Apparently so, because they consistently do it.
Surely u wanna play FG and win, not just be at a successful club.

Though, i suppose if u figure u r a reserve grader, then the best club u can player for, the better it is
I would think so too, but apparently its just not the case. But yeah, if you're accepting that your a reserve grader, then might as well do it at a club where you can have some success and get quality coaching.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This instalment of the Raiders scouting thread will look at Fullback. Thus far we have looked at
Winger, Centre, Hooker, Backrow, Lock, Halves and Prop. I’ll look to do a write up for each position as I get time. I’ll be looking at those players off contract in the NRL in both 2018 and 2019 for options. However, I might add the odd ‘surplus’ or ‘disgruntled’ player I think might be worth a shot. I am not across the ESL, so I won’t be looking there.

Fullback

Let’s have a look at what the Raiders are currently working with:
Fullback: Jack Wighton
Backup: Brad Abbey
Off Contract: None

* Contract with option in clubs favour.
# May have signed elsewhere
^ Recently re-signed

So, according to the simplistic depth formula, we need:
Fullback: None
Bench: Four

Due to the nature of contracts, and the apparent worthlessness of the paper they are written on, we will look at the next two seasons of options. The reason for this is, the term ‘early release’ is becoming more and more of a common occurrence.

Fullback players off contract in 2018:
Tom Carr, Mason Cerruto, Lachlan Coote, Jarryd Hayne, Nick Meaney, Tyrone Phillips, Zac Santo, Billy Slater, Dylan Smith, Young Tonumaipea, Dylan Phythian,

Fullback players off contract in 2019:
Brad Abbey, Jesse Arthars, Matthew Dufty, Jai Field, Bevan French, Clinton Gutherson, Josh Hoffman, Valentine Holmes, Kurt Mann, Gideon Mosby-Gela, Tristan Sailor, Murray Taulagi, Ben Hampton, Michael Gordon, Corey Thompson, Steven Marsters

I’m not going to have a list of players ‘we could never get’ as this is a terrible mentality to recruitment to start with. However, I think we have to be realistic about our options, and I also think we need to be serious about our needs. Therefore, here is my ‘no fly zone’ and a brief reason why.

No Fly Zone 2018
Mason Cerruto – Only 22 years old, and plays for the Bulldogs. He has 6 games for Italy at the most recent World Cup. Apparently he can any of the outside backs or fullback.
Lachlan Coote – A couple of years ago, I would have been looking more seriously at this. However, in recent years Coote has go the ‘yips’ and really fallen away. He was one of the first players to be dropped this year in a poor Cowboys side. Strong pass.
Jarryd Hayne – He is super talented, no doubt. Hayne is unlikely to play anywhere but where the offer is too good to refuse. I do think he is more likely to stay at Eels though. However, should the opportunity be a reality, do you want the circus that follows him? I don’t.
Nick Meaney – I have been impressed with how Meaney has filled in for superstar Kalyn Ponga this year. He is off to the Bulldogs next year though.
Billy Slater – He is retiring at the end of the season.
Young Tonumaipea – He has gone on a Mormon mission I believe. Which would mean he is going to be a bit of a gamble for whomever picks him up afterwards, as it seems you need at least 12 months to get back into the swing of things.
Dylan Phythian – He has had a serious knee injury last season. Had his contract torn up after a second positive test for recreational drugs this season. That’s a 12 month suspension.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now: None

Players I have no information on: Tom Carr and Dylan Smith

Ex-Raiders:
Zac Santo – Ricky let Santo go to get Abbey. He won’t be back.

Options 2018:
Tyrone Phillips – I could have sworn he had already signed somewhere, but can’t find anything. Philips played a handful of games for the Bulldogs, scoring 4 tries in 6 game. He has since moved to Penrith, where he has added another 4 tires in 9 games. He filled in on the wing for Josh Mansour, I believe, for a portion of this season. He also played for Fiji, and has a single try. I believe when he lined up for them, this year, in was in the centres. So, he has a bit of versatility. He is still only 24 years old, and looks a solid backup back option. Having seen the injuries in the backs to end this season, it’s obvious we need at least one more outside back on the roster.

No Fly Zone 2019
Josh Hoffman – He is already at the back end of his career. He has been dropped twice from a terrible Eels side. He now has a season ending shoulder injury.
Bevan French – He wants to play fullback. So, if Ricky is considering moving Wighton, you could gamble on French. I’m not impressed enough with French to warrant that gamble.
Gideon Mosby-Gela – I’m pretty sure I heard he re-signed with the Cowboys, but can’t find it anywhere. He has some off field issues too. I like the look of him though. However, he is also a winger not a fullback, so this one slipped through the cracks a bit.
Tristan Sailor – Yes, this is the son of Wendell. I don’t know much more.
Michael Gordon – Flash Gordon is past his best. Again, I could have sworn he had signed elsewhere for next year, but can’t find it.
Corey Thompson – The Tigers extending his one year deal after just a month. He looks a very solid player, and a better fullback than winger. However, he isn’t a ball player. If you are picking him to start at fullback, I think there are probably better options.

Young players with good reputations, but we need to win now:

Players I have no information on: Jesse Arthars, Murray Taulagi, Steven Marsters

Ex-Raiders:

Options 2019:
Matthew Dufty – This one is a long shot, especially as he looks to be the Dragons long term first choice fullback. He is a bit of a one trick pony, but when that trick is super speed, it’s a very good trick to have. He has been a great strike weapon for the Dragons this year, even if his form has followed that of his team lately.
Ben Hampton – I wasn’t a fan while he was at the Storm, but he has grown on me since being at the Cowboys. His versatility is fantastic. Can play anywhere in the spine, and a more than handy centre, as shown this year. I’d have said he was their best centre this year, so not sure why they dropped him. I think he could well be the Cowboys fulltime fullback next year, so we will get a good look as to whether he is good enough.
Valentine Holmes – He is the hottest property in the NRL right now. Sharks and Cowboys seem to be the two in the running. I still think he is a winger trying to play fullback, but his resume is starting to pad out at the back end of this season. My mind might yet be changed.
Jai Field – This is another kid with speed to burn. Can play fullback or five-eighth. Bust onto the scene at the Auckland Nines last year. Has only had a handful of games for the Dragons. Could be worth a gamble at either position.
Clinton Gutherson – Given he is the Eels current captain, I can’t see him being moved on, but he is another that can play multiple positions, fullback, centre or five-eighth. I was worried about his knees when he left Manly, but he has been good for the Eels. He is an all effort, inspirational type player too.
Kurt Mann – Yet another Dragon outside back who can fill multiple positions. I’ve been a fan of his since his Strom days. I get more impressed every time he plays. He is a bit like Hampton in that respect, another former Melbourne man. However, like Hampton, is it a case of ‘Jack of all trades, master of none’?

Re-Sign existing:
Brad Abbey – I think he is improving. However, he needs to be more consistent, and probably put some more bulk on. He gets pushed around too easily. He will need a big 2019 to be re-signed.

Final Thoughts:
I think that we are really only looking at depth, as I think our fullback will either be Wighton or Cotric. So, unless there is an obvious upgrade then depth is the real need. The options for the end of this year are very minimal, well, basically non-existent, though Philips would be perfectly adequate outside back depth. I haven’t given him a rundown anywhere, but the Ben Barba rumours of a return to the NRL are around, and strong. He is the kind of player we would/ should make room for this year if possible.

2019 is where the options are, and they would all likely command a start in your 17, so you will want to get it right. I suspect Holmes won’t be on the market, as he will have decided this year. This makes the Dragons the first point of call in my opinion. They will be doing well to keep all three of their players. They are all perfectly acceptable options, and like the Panthers pack, they are ripe for the picking. Any of those three would be an upgrade on depth, and potentially an upgrade on the current starter at fullback or five-eighth. Gutherson would be my next choice, because again, it gives us the flexibility to play him at fullback or five-eighth. Hampton is last on the list, but, not necessarily in player preference, as he has more experience than most, and he is more versatile, which I like.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tristan Sailor is more a half. The Dragons won’t be letting him go. Top prospect.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: August 30, 2018, 1:42 pm Tristan Sailor is more a half. The Dragons won’t be letting him go. Top prospect.
Cheers GE. I only added the bit of info I knew, because I thought people might ask.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Matt Dufty sounds like he's got a great attitude
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

Anyone one of Dufty, Field or Mann would be great.

It would also be great to finally take one of theirs for a change considering our history with them...
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Dufty is garbage defensively and he isn't a ball player. If the goal is a running fullback, we've already got Cotric. Why would we want Dufty.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

I think Dylan Smith and Murray Taulagi have both been upgraded for next season (not certain)?

Jesse Arthars would be an option with the Rabbitohs bringing in Corey Allan.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

ALX22 wrote: August 30, 2018, 10:28 pm I think Dylan Smith and Murray Taulagi have both been upgraded for next season (not certain)?

Jesse Arthars would be an option with the Rabbitohs bringing in Corey Allan.
Ive never seen them play, nor was i able to find much more than ages and current clubs.

Are any of these guys likely to come into FG anytime soon?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think career wise, it's almost better for Lamb to go to Easts and be stuck behind Keary and Cronk for a year or two, carve up in NSW Cup, then move elsewhere. You create the perception you'd be playing firsts if not for two origin quality players.

But if you go to the Titans, get smashed every week and put it out on the full because your forwards give you no cover, it doesn't really matter what grade you're in.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Dufty is garbage defensively and he isn't a ball player. If the goal is a running fullback, we've already got Cotric. Why would we want Dufty.
He's been tested recently and found wanting
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I'd take Kurt Mann. He's the kind of no-fuss player that good sides usually have a few of.

It'd take a bit of shuffling to make it work though - probably Croker to wing, Cotric to fullback and Mann to centre, allowing Wighton to play in the 6. If we were going to do that though, we may as well just play Oldfield on the wing and move Cotric and Wighton.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Mann was good for Melbourne in the centres, it was his best position. Then he went to Saints and has been made to play everywhere, and has shown a lot of effort and ability to adapt. He'd be a good signing, but I'd hate to sign him as a utility I think.

I really hope with give Hingano first shot next year, if we don't sign a better option. If he fails we can fall back on Sam (again).
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Mbiec »

Been looking into a few players that could add something to the club on cheap coin. Obviously our cap is in dire straits, so this is a more realistic look at some names we could recruit that can be of value

Lachlan Timm
Position: Prop

This kid is NRL quality without any doubt in my mind. He’s still only young and his best years are ahead of him. He’s been playing above his weight in the Intrust Super Cup with the Sunshine Coast Falcons and is currently contracted to the Storm. I believe that he’s off contract and I’d highly encourage the Raiders recruiters to bring him in

Marmin Barba
Position: Wing

The younger brother of Ben, Marmin is an outstanding finisher for the Ipswich Jets, with incredible pace and freakish skills, similar to his brother. His career never took off after spending time in the Eels 20’s and he’s featured heavily for the Jets in the QLD cup in recent years. I’d be dangling the carrot of an NRL dream in front of him and try to bring him into the squad for cheap. Play him in the Mounties and see how he goes. Could potentially be a great fullback option too.

Will post this in parts, to make it a bit easier to read.
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Mbiec »

Lewis Brown
Position: HK/CTR/SR

Let me make this clear, I would not be offering a rich contract to Lewis. He’s not someone we need to break the bank for, but his utility value is a major reason why I believe we should try and acquire his services.

His preferred position is in the back row, where we are rich in depth, but I’d much rather throw him at centre over Whitehead, to keep the team harmony.

The one detractor from signing him is that we have depth in the hooker role (plus I don’t rate him very highly as a dummy half) and that John Bateman very much covers the centre/second rower position.

Tui Kamikamica

This lad is a beast. In an area that we are sorely lacking, Tui could be a massive coup if we can get him in at the right price. He’s currently playing for the Melbourne Storm and has been seeing plenty of action off the bench.

If the Storm retain Sam Kasiano, then I’d suggest that we chase Tui. Kasiano is someone who I’d love at the Raiders, but we’d never sign him for the right price
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Mbiec »

Justin Olam
Position: CTW

Justin is an incredibly gifted footballer with the ability to play on both sides of the field. The PNG international has played a handful of games for the Storm this season, but going forward I don’t think he will feature as heavily in 2019.

If the Storm are prepared to let him go, I think he’d be the perfect signing to compliment our backline. He can play in the centres or on the wing and can be a massive part of the Mounties premiership tilt in 2019. We aren’t in a position to sign established stars, so it’s time we chanced our arm a little bit.

Siosaia Vave

I’m not 100% sure what his status for 2019 is, but with contracts meaning very little these days, I’d be offering Vave a spot in our 17. If Ricky’s fitness team can get Vave in shape similar to Leilua (and Paulo in 2016), then I believe he can be a huge addition to our pack.

He’s not your traditional sort of prop, but he has that X factor about him that I think our team needs up front. He can score tries, as well as produce a decent offload and with Leilua, Rapana and Wighton sniffing around for second phase play, it could add a massive string to our bow in 2019
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Mbiec »

Nathan Davis
Position: CTW

A big, rangey centre with the ability to play anywhere in the back 5, as well as the halves at a stretch (For Mounties, never for the Raiders)

Nathan strikes me as a real threat in the backline, who with the right guidance could really become something quite special.

However I believe there is risk involved, with him having high chance of being lazy. I’d leave it up to him over a pre season train and trial and see if he has what it takes.

Jack Hetherington
Position: Lock

Sign this kid up! The rampaging forward is following in his fathers footsteps and has already begun to carve out his own legacy in first grade. He’s a hard runner of the football and he’d be of value most definitely. He has a wild side which some people may see as a detractor, but I think if he can get that under wraps, he’ll be a force for years to come.
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Mbiec »

Brock Lamb
Position: Halves

This one is a bit of a stretch, with Lamb sure to look for a pay rise. I’d advise against signing him for anything near the kind of money he’s probably after, but if we could lure him with the 6 jersey, he might just sign on for less than his market jersey.

I’ll take Lamb over Sam Williams and whilst Ata Hingano is a genuine talent, he’ll take some time to come back from his injury and should be given time in reserve grade to find his feet.

Jarome Luai

Another talent that we’d be unlikely to sign but one that we should absolutely go after with the promise of regular first grade in the halves.

This one depends on how the Panthers/Ivan Cleary scenario pans out. The Panthers have Luai in their long term plans and Gus Gould almost always keeps the talents that he wants. But if Ivan Cleary is to jump ship and coach the Panthers, that may mean that Luai’s path to first grade is blocked.

Another factor is that Penrith have supposedly tried to shop James Maloney around to other NRL clubs. Maloney is someone who could guide the Raiders to a premiership, but he’d be too expensive and we don’t have a forward pack worthy of convincing him to sign at the moment.

If Luai isn’t seeing NRL footy in 2019, I’d be making moves to sign him mid season. He’s an unreal talent and whilst he’s young, we have Williams, Hingano and Brendan O’Hagan who can come in and play in the halves
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Mbiec »

Clay Priest

Former Raider Clay Priest won’t be sticking around at the Bulldogs in 2019 and if we can get him for cheap, I’d bring him in to play a starring role for the Mounties. Whether he can come into our best 17 would then be up to his performances.

Luke Yates
Position: Lock

Yates is off contract at Newcastle and may struggle to find another NRL gig. We should try and sign him for cheap and bring him into the Mounties set up.
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Mbiec »

Fullbacks
Will Kennedy
Evander Cummins
Patrick Templeman

Wingers
Charnze Nicoll Klokstad
Jorge Taufua
Justin Carney (lol)
Troy Leo
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

Centres
Braidon Burns
Taane Milne
Blake Ayshford
Joel Moon

Halves
Josh Cleeland
Tom Wright
Jacob Miller
Scott Drinkwater
Guy Hamilton

Hookers
Harry Grant
Kurt Baptise
Blayke Brailey
Manaia Cherrington

Props
Taniela Paseka
Zane Musgrove
Lama Tasi
Mark Nicholls
Sebastian Ikahihifo
Ligi Sao
Kelepi Tanginoa
Nathaniel Neale

Second row
Paul Carter
James Bell
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Chris Lewis

Locks
Joe Boyce
Chris Grevsmuhl
Ray Stone
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Mbiec,

I've moved your posts here, as I have already touched on this sort of thing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Mbiec wrote: September 3, 2018, 3:14 pm Brock Lamb

This one is a bit of a stretch, with Lamb sure to look for a pay rise. I’d advise against signing him for anything near the kind of money he’s probably after, but if we could lure him with the 6 jersey, he might just sign on for less than his market jersey.

I’ll take Lamb over Sam Williams and whilst Ata Hingano is a genuine talent, he’ll take some time to come back from his injury and should be given time in reserve grade to find his feet.

Jarome Luai

Another talent that we’d be unlikely to sign but one that we should absolutely go after with the promise of regular first grade in the halves.

This one depends on how the Panthers/Ivan Cleary scenario pans out. The Panthers have Luai in their long term plans and Gus Gould almost always keeps the talents that he wants. But if Ivan Cleary is to jump ship and coach the Panthers, that may mean that Luai’s path to first grade is blocked.

Another factor is that Penrith have supposedly tried to shop James Maloney around to other NRL clubs. Maloney is someone who could guide the Raiders to a premiership, but he’d be too expensive and we don’t have a forward pack worthy of convincing him to sign at the moment.

If Luai isn’t seeing NRL footy in 2019, I’d be making moves to sign him mid season. He’s an unreal talent and whilst he’s young, we have Williams, Hingano and Brendan O’Hagan who can come in and play in the halves
Lamb has signed with the Chooks.
Gus has stated he isnt losing Luai. Thats why they are shopping Maloney around. Id say Luai will partner Cleary, which means May might be an option instead.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Vave is the best shout out of that lot.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Mbiec wrote: September 3, 2018, 2:40 pm Lachlan Timm

This kid is NRL quality without any doubt in my mind. He’s still only young and his best years are ahead of him. He’s been playing above his weight in the Intrust Super Cup with the Sunshine Coast Falcons and is currently contracted to the Storm. I believe that he’s off contract and I’d highly encourage the Raiders recruiters to bring him in
Yes, apparently not been offered a contract by the Storm. Should leave the Falcons set up. Real workhorse.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

Should be going hard for Drinkwater.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

SeeBee101 wrote: September 3, 2018, 10:33 pm Should be going hard for Drinkwater.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Man he looked good on debut the other night.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m still convinced a solid/strong stop gap at five-eighth could work with the current squad. Good defense, willing to run and play direct and they’re essentially going to be #4 playmaker anyway. And that’s not even touching on the on the roles Whitehead and the right edge can play.

Our best points of attack are Hodgson and Wighton from fullback. Sezer as the main kicker and we can’t pretend Austin ever offered much ball play even at his peak for us.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.