Junior Paulo to depart Raiders at end of 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Re: Paulo to Parramatta Eels in 2019

Post by scotchberry »

Junior Paulo hasn't told us of his plans: Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker said prop Junior Paulo is a part of the team until the man himself tells him otherwise despite mounting speculation he is bound for the Parramatta Eels for 2019.

"Until Junior makes a decision he'll tell us straight away what's he's going to do," Croker said. "As far as I'm concerned he's a Raider and there's not much else I can do or say until I know any different."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/19/jun ... od-croker/

:roflmao :roflmao
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

*"REM - everybody hurts" plays softly in the background*Image
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2018, 11:40 am
edwahu wrote:Guys, you're forgetting the word on the forum back in 2016. Vaughan was released because he was supposedly actually crap and had the slowest play the ball in the NRL, despite been our best player for 3 years.
Haha that was absolutely ludicrous behaviour by the forum at the time, too
The "forum" doesn't behave in any fashion. Some posters can demonstrate different forms of behaviour, however.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

greeneyed wrote:
edwahu wrote:Guys, you're forgetting the word on the forum back in 2016. Vaughan was released because he was supposedly actually crap and had the slowest play the ball in the NRL, despite been our best player for 3 years.
The "forum" doesn't behave in any fashion. Some posters can demonstrate different forms of behaviour, however.
Was it Lucy?
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Paulo to Parramatta Eels in 2019

Post by El_Capitano »

scotchberry wrote:
El_Capitano wrote: April 19, 2018, 12:21 pm Ok confession time, although it’s the unpopular opinion...
I rate Junior and I wish we weren’t losing him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think everyone is in the same boat as you - no one wants to loose him and hoped he extended.

However rightly so people are happy to let him walk instead of paying the price of what Parra are.
No! You are the one who... oh you agree ok!
Also, I think this price will soon be the going rate for top forwards! I don’t think it’s too much, it might be too much for us, but not for the market

How soon IS now?
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Sossman wrote:
Well turn it up, I love that song!

How soon IS now?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Sossman wrote: April 19, 2018, 2:04 pm
Post of the year nomination :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: April 19, 2018, 1:15 pm Thinking Vaughan was still playing his best footy in his last year with us is just ridiculous. You saw his best footy during his first year at the dragons and it was far better than his last year with us.
His performance and stats were down because he wasnt being played long minutes. He's a 60 minute, dominant SOO contending middle who was being asked to play as a fringe first grader for 20-30 minutes a game here and there between wasting his career away at Mounties... And his output wasnt as strong as when he was given the role and minutes he deserved? IMAGINE FOR ONE **** MOMENT, MY GOD DAMN **** SURPRISE! :lol:
Unbelievable.

The FACT is his per minute output, even in his "down year" (when he was treated like a **** leper by an idiot coach who didnt realise how quickly teams would just adjust and run our 2x 120kg monsters around the park and tire their fat arses out) his per minute production in most games still left both Paulo and Boyd in his wake. And on the rare occasion the coach was forced to play him long minutes, he was a dominant middle who's performances were right in line with what he delivered for us in 2015, and which was trending to what he did in 2017... again, another stunning twist... 23 year old middle forward gets better as he ages into his mid 20's

HOW COULD WE HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN THIS COMING?!?! Haha. **** me rigid boys, guess we just got unlucky! We're so unlucky!

AND lets remember this. NO ONE heard a damn thing about his off the field issues until it was WELL established that Stuart wanted him out and he had already been unceremoniously dumped for two 120kg monsters who cant play together. I would argue STRONGLY that had we evaluated this situation correctly at the time, and made Paul Vaughan (a Gungahlin Bulls junior ****) THE building block of our pack, along with Papalii, there is every chance he doesnt become disillusioned with the club and perhaps never gets the point of NGAF that necessitated his departure.

We had Luke Bateman and Clay Priest playing ahead of him, give me strength.
Imagine that, you're paul vaughan and your coach values those two idiots over you? I'd give up and go Scarface too.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 19, 2018, 10:54 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 19, 2018, 10:19 am The Vaughan incident shows what is wrong with this club. Elite player in his position but is rushed out the backdoor due to off field dramas. Then you get somebody like Wighton, a battler in every sense. Yet, because he is great mates with the Coach, the club stands by him through what are some pretty terrible allegations.
Mark Gasnier talked yesterday about the Jackson Hastings incident, that you're expected to "toe the line" at any club. I think most coaches have shown they will forgive off-field dramas if the player is toeing the line with the "work-related stuff": trainings, culture, off-field contributions etc.

For whatever reason, Stuart must have thought Vaughan wasn't toeing the line in some sense (rumours have been vague and I suspect any off field stuff was pretty minor). But he must see Wighton's stuff as separate, one-off, that he's otherwise disciplined with the "work-related" activities.
Vaughan's departure was just very odd all round. Most consistent prop we'd had since Davico through his first couple of years here, so disappointing to now see him killing it at the Dragons. The lack of rope given to him compared to other under performers was bizarre.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Sossman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Was it Lucy?
Everyone is Lucy
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 19, 2018, 2:51 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 19, 2018, 10:54 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 19, 2018, 10:19 am The Vaughan incident shows what is wrong with this club. Elite player in his position but is rushed out the backdoor due to off field dramas. Then you get somebody like Wighton, a battler in every sense. Yet, because he is great mates with the Coach, the club stands by him through what are some pretty terrible allegations.
Mark Gasnier talked yesterday about the Jackson Hastings incident, that you're expected to "toe the line" at any club. I think most coaches have shown they will forgive off-field dramas if the player is toeing the line with the "work-related stuff": trainings, culture, off-field contributions etc.

For whatever reason, Stuart must have thought Vaughan wasn't toeing the line in some sense (rumours have been vague and I suspect any off field stuff was pretty minor). But he must see Wighton's stuff as separate, one-off, that he's otherwise disciplined with the "work-related" activities.
Vaughan's departure was just very odd all round. Most consistent prop we'd had since Davico through his first couple of years here, so disappointing to now see him killing it at the Dragons. The lack of rope given to him compared to other under performers was bizarre.
And that really is the elephant in the room. The way we treat local juniors - Sam Williams to leave, and resign with us again this season is my tip - it really was baffling that he was just quietly allowed to walk out the back door.

There had to be a serious behind the scenes issue going on that it was a battle adjudged not worth fighting.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Isnt there a 10 day cooling off period on these contracts???

Im sure he will tell the boys closer to that time or even after the game on Saturday
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

reptar wrote:
Sossman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Was it Lucy?
Everyone is Lucy

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PerthRaider86 wrote: April 19, 2018, 3:20 pm Isnt there a 10 day cooling off period on these contracts???

Im sure he will tell the boys closer to that time or even after the game on Saturday
That's gone under the new CBA as I recall.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I'm somewhere in the middle on Vaughan, he wasnt playing his best footy towards the end of his last season here, but was easily better than Mounties quality. And was easily one of our best 3 props on any given day.

When you look back on the situation at the time, we had Boyd (soon to be Aussie rep, and due for a performance related pay rise), Paulo (about to enter the first year of a full salary year, and destined for Origin) and Vaughan (exceptional in general, but 'SLIGHTY' off the boil, obviously had some issues with Sticky, had some off field disciplinary issues, and was being offered a big money deal at the Dragons).

If we had thrown $600k at Vaughan to keep him, that would be at least 1.6 mill a year on 3 Props, which would have been overs for the position at the time.

We also had what at the time was a fairly average wage backline that were absolutely killing it, with 2 potential Aussie rep centres, and Rapana being winger of the year, all would have been justifiably chasing a pay rise.

In hindsight everyone mentioned above played liek a busted **** in 2017, and Vaughan started killing it at the dragons, so its very easy to point the finger at that being a wrong decision.

But at the time, Vaughan and Fenno were the most expendable, and while the change of scenery and a reality check have been great for Vaughan, I can understand why those decisions were made.

In hindsight I would love to have kept Vaughan as well, obviously, but I can see why he was released.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We didn't need to throw 600k at Vaughan to keep him, he was on contract for 300k for another year and probably would've extended for another deal at way less than 600k. In fact we paid 150k for his first year at the Dragons. That was the extra maddening thing about it.

I also agree there are definitely some players who seem to get the absolute minimal chances before getting dropped. I don't know if Ricky picks them on sufferance in the first place but it seems that way. Barnett was another who was dropped forever after missing a tackle in his second game. Hunt is another and it wouldn't suprise me if Knight ends up the same.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, Barnett was another real strange one. I thought he looked ultra-impressive in his couple of games for us and NEL MINUTE... dropped to oblivion for Bateman, who never impressed me half as much.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah, Barnett was another real strange one. I thought he looked ultra-impressive in his couple of games for us and NEL MINUTE... dropped to oblivion for Bateman, who never impressed me half as much.
Yep i am sure it was all based on form nothing to do with anything else lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: April 19, 2018, 2:42 pm
zim wrote: April 19, 2018, 1:15 pm Thinking Vaughan was still playing his best footy in his last year with us is just ridiculous. You saw his best footy during his first year at the dragons and it was far better than his last year with us.
His performance and stats were down because he wasnt being played long minutes. He's a 60 minute, dominant SOO contending middle who was being asked to play as a fringe first grader for 20-30 minutes a game here and there between wasting his career away at Mounties... And his output wasnt as strong as when he was given the role and minutes he deserved? IMAGINE FOR ONE **** MOMENT, MY GOD DAMN **** SURPRISE! :lol:
Unbelievable.

The FACT is his per minute output, even in his "down year" (when he was treated like a **** leper by an idiot coach who didnt realise how quickly teams would just adjust and run our 2x 120kg monsters around the park and tire their fat arses out) his per minute production in most games still left both Paulo and Boyd in his wake. And on the rare occasion the coach was forced to play him long minutes, he was a dominant middle who's performances were right in line with what he delivered for us in 2015, and which was trending to what he did in 2017... again, another stunning twist... 23 year old middle forward gets better as he ages into his mid 20's

HOW COULD WE HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN THIS COMING?!?! Haha. **** me rigid boys, guess we just got unlucky! We're so unlucky!

AND lets remember this. NO ONE heard a damn thing about his off the field issues until it was WELL established that Stuart wanted him out and he had already been unceremoniously dumped for two 120kg monsters who cant play together. I would argue STRONGLY that had we evaluated this situation correctly at the time, and made Paul Vaughan (a Gungahlin Bulls junior ****) THE building block of our pack, along with Papalii, there is every chance he doesnt become disillusioned with the club and perhaps never gets the point of NGAF that necessitated his departure.

Imagine that, you're paul vaughan and your coach values those two idiots over you? I'd give up and go Scarface too.
Guess who's back,
Back again,
Piggy's back,
Tell a friend.

:cmon
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote: April 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
The Nickman wrote:Yeah, Barnett was another real strange one. I thought he looked ultra-impressive in his couple of games for us and NEL MINUTE... dropped to oblivion for Bateman, who never impressed me half as much.
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but i am sure it was all based on form nothing to do with anything else lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Unbelievable.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Still not convinced tbh
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I’m not taking sides in the debate one way or another, I know what happened though and I wasn’t impressed. Same goes for wighton although I’m much less in the know on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Matt wrote: April 19, 2018, 4:21 pm
Unbelievable.

Guess who's back,
Back again,
Piggy's back,
Tell a friend.

:cmon
Spot on Pig, welcome back!
WorkChoice
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

At the end of the day we let Vaughan go 4 Paulo and Barnett 4 Bateman backwards steps from where we stand but no one's accountable like always correct me if I'm wrong.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

BigPapa wrote:At the end of the day we let Vaughan go 4 Paulo and Barnett 4 Bateman backwards steps from where we stand but no one's accountable like always correct me if I'm wrong.
I blame you as you're the messenger
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

reptar wrote: April 19, 2018, 6:23 pm
BigPapa wrote:At the end of the day we let Vaughan go 4 Paulo and Barnett 4 Bateman backwards steps from where we stand but no one's accountable like always correct me if I'm wrong.
I blame you as you're the messenger
I plead the 5th.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

El_Capitano wrote: April 19, 2018, 12:21 pm Ok confession time, although it’s the unpopular opinion...
I rate Junior and I wish we weren’t losing him!

Yeah I rate him as a player. The only thing I would question about him is that apart from his first season at the raiders he seems to have always been part of very mediocre teams. Blokes like Lazarus and even James Maloney seem to find success wherever they land. Paulo seems to be a solid player in poor teams. That said I'm sure someone will now point out the bloke was part of premiership teams from the under 7's through to his first year at parra
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2018, 4:05 pm Yeah, Barnett was another real strange one. I thought he looked ultra-impressive in his couple of games for us and NEL MINUTE... dropped to oblivion for Bateman, who never impressed me half as much.
The word on the street was that Barnett had absolutely no intention under any circumstances on spending a minute longer in Canberra than he had to.

I'm no fan of our management, but I'm not holding that one against him.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If he was playing regular first grade in a semi decent team would the story be different?

I know he's from Taree, but still
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think he only wanted to bolt after he got dropped. He tried to get out of his deal after that so he could go to the Titans.

I don't think he is that great a loss to be honest, he seems to be getting concussed and giving away penalties everytime I watch him. It was still a harsh dropping imo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2018, 4:05 pm Yeah, Barnett was another real strange one. I thought he looked ultra-impressive in his couple of games for us and NEL MINUTE... dropped to oblivion for Bateman, who never impressed me half as much.
the three players i expressed real issues about the way we handled them was PV, TPJ and Barnett.
And now this is where we are. All hideous mis-evuluations by our club

Vaughan was the building block of the pack
TPJ was way better than the dudes being played over him, as was Barnett. It was clear to beer bums like me and others, why did our club whiff??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cause they wanted to dump all our cash into a massive mercenary

Those 3 would be perfectly suited to where the game is headed, with more mobile forwards having more success
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 19, 2018, 8:19 pm
The word on the street was that Barnett had absolutely no intention under any circumstances on spending a minute longer in Canberra than he had to.

I'm no fan of our management, but I'm not holding that one against him.
That's very fair... until you understand context

He was very INTO this club up until the point he debut for the club, performed strongly at the end of Furner's era, and then rolled into the following season under our idiot coach and was persona non grata.
He was one of our best performing players in his firs 2 games and was absolutely ignored, despite being better than the idiots promoted ahead of him, like TPG, like Vaughan
This is a 10 year industry. You cant waste time on a club or coach who doesnt believe in your talent and ability

Like others, WE, THIS COACHING STAFF, fostered that situation. We created it, and now we lie in the bed we **** made.

Enough. Stop it.

Again, like Vaughan, like TPG, NOT revisionist history. Its on this board. People knew their talent and supported their desire for a club who believed in them. Our loss, their gain.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Barnett may have been one of our best few performers with the ball when he played for Canberra Raiders, but he was clearly our worst in the defensive structure.

I think anyone can see he is very good ball runner and a very committed player who puts in a lot of effort. But whilst his defence has improved at the Knights, he still makes some glaring errors in defence. Particularly rushing out of the line to put a good hit on, but getting it wrong too often and allowing a line break for the opposition.

A Knights game I watched last year saw him heavily involved in the two tries Newcastle scored, but also making bad reads or missed tackles in the 4 or 5 tries the Knights let in.

Actually maybe that tells me he’s the perfect Raiders player . Sign him up.