greeneyed
Don Furner

2018 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs
Thursday 5 April 7:50pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 5:20pm Canberra Raiders Cup: Queanbeyan Blues V Yass Magpies: 5:30pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Mostly sunny. Light winds becoming west to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 11 Max 28

Round 4 2018. Manly Sea Eagles 32, Canberra Raiders 16. The score line did not really reflect the extent of the lesson handed out to the Raiders by the Sea Eagles. The Sea Eagles kicked three penalty goals in the match, when tries were probably on offer. The match was over at half time... and Manly really shut up shop in the second half.

Coach Ricky Stuart labelled the performance as "soft". It has left the Raiders 0 and 4 to start the season. That's not happened since 1997. If the Raiders lose to the Bulldogs in Round 5 in Thursday Night Football they will be 0 and 5. That hasn't happened since 1982, the club's inaugural year when the club lost the opening seven matches, the only year that the Raiders have won the wooden spoon.

More on Round 4: As I saw it

2018 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Coach Ricky Stuart has again put his team on notice by dropping representative second rower Josh Papalii to the Raiders NSW Premiership affiliate Mounties... though Papalii has also been included in the squad of 21 on the extended bench. Blake Austin has been named for Mounties for a second week running. Joe Tapine and Elliott Whitehead form the second row partnership, with Luke Bateman named at lock. Liam Knight has been included on the bench in the top 17. Jack Wighton has been named at fullback, despite news breaking on Tuesday of his alleged involvement in a nightclub brawl during the pre season.

Bulldogs forward Aiden Tolman is out due to an ankle injury, with Adam Elliott starting at lock and Kerrod Holland joining the bench.

Late changes: The Canberra Raiders omitted Blake Austin and Josh Papalii from their squad to face the Canterbury Bulldogs on Wednesday night. Meanwhile the Bulldogs omitted Fa’amanu Brown and Francis Tualau.

Matt's Match-ups: Coming soon

History: Canberra does not have a good record against the Canterbury Bulldogs, winning 28 of the 67 games played. The Raiders have won five of the past 10 matches - and two of the past five. At Canberra Stadium, the Raiders have won 13 of 24 matches - but only four of the past 10 at the venue. In 2017, the Raiders lost their only match against the Bulldogs, 16-10, at Sydney Olympic Park. The Bulldogs were struggling - and it was a match which highlighted that the Raiders' 2017 season looked to be in trouble.

2017 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

2016 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

In this week's "History Happens" we go back to the 1994 Grand Final between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs. You know what happens... sit back and enjoy!

1994 Grand Final Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

Form: The Raiders have lost all of their past five matches, including the four opening matches of 2017. The Bulldogs are on a LLWL form line so far this season. They beat the Panthers by two points in Round 3, but lost to the South Sydney Rabbitohs last weekend 20-16.

Betting: Remarkably, the winless Raiders are $1.75 favourites in this match, while the Bulldogs are paying $2.12. The Bulldogs have a 2 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a battle between 14th and 15th on the ladder. The Raiders are averaging 23 points scored per match (fifth in the NRL), the Bulldogs 17 (12th position). Canberra scores almost four tries per match on average, the Bulldogs just under three. The Bulldogs have slightly better defence. They concede an average of 26 points per match, while the Raiders have conceded an average of 28 points.

The Bulldogs have produced more running metres than the Raiders in the first four rounds (Bulldogs 1475 per match, Raiders 1368). They also average more kicking metres (Bulldogs 419 per match, Raiders 373). Offloads are even (10 per match), but the Raiders have an advantage in line breaks (5-3 per match) and tackle breaks (32-28 per match). Canberra makes more errors (10-8) and concedes more penalties (10-8) per game. The Bulldogs have the slightly better completion rate (78-76 per cent).

Our tip: The match pits coach Ricky Stuart against his former assistant coach, and now Bulldogs coach, Dean Pay. Both of their teams are struggling - but the Bulldogs probably have slightly better form than the Raiders. I'd like to think the Raiders will turn things around this week, with their backs now right up against the wall. I'd like to think that the players will be showing the coach that they are not "soft". If they are to win, they will need to address their major defensive issues, and problems with discipline and errors in key periods of the game. But until I see some words put into action on field, I can't be confident that they will. I'm not convinced that the changes Ricky Stuart has made to his side are the ones that were most needed. Bulldogs by six.

What they're saying:

Elliott Whitehead: "It's up to us to get the results and at the moment we haven't been getting them. I still believe in the squad that we've got here and I believe we're still capable of achieving what we want to achieve this year. We just need to put that performance in Thursday night against the Bulldogs and hopefully we get those two points and get on the board."

Sia Soliola: "We're just thinking about this week and the Dogs, they're a tough side and after the way they went down on the weekend, we know what's going to come. All of their forwards will be coming from the car park and they'll be really getting into us. So, we've got a choice to combat them or the other way, so for us this week it's really important for us to give back to our supporters and members and more importantly ourselves."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Sia Soliola
9. Siliva Havili
10. Junior Paulo
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Luke Bateman

14. Ata Hingano
15. Shannon Boyd
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Liam Knight

18. Jack Murchie
19. Michael Oldfield

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Moses Mbye
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Will Hopoate
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Jeremy Marshall-King
7. Kieran Foran
8. Aaron Woods
9. Michael Lichaa
10. David Klemmer
11. Josh Jackson
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Adam Elliott

15. Danny Fualalo
17. Kerrod Holland
19. Greg Eastwood
20. Asipeli Fine
21. John Olive
23. Rhyse Martin

Officials:

Referees: Grant Atkins, Alan Shortall
Touch judges: Jeff Younis, Jon Stone
Video referees: Ashley Klein, Luke Patten

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersBulldogs

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day Preview updated for latest team lists, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32684&p=1576767#p1576767
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day..... Go the Raiders Players!! Go away the Raiders Coach!!!
I’m hoping for any result, win would be good but the sad thing is the coach will still be there, a loss and more pressure on the dumbest coach in the NRL...
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This feels a little weird..

The boys get another chance at home tonight.

This could be the day.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

^^^ It does feel very weird
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day and full of optimism!
Caaarn the Raiders!
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

It certainly is an unusual feeling going into this match. Just 9 teams have made the finals since 1908.after starting the season 0-4. With two making the Grand final and one winning the GF.
I’m prepared to admit that we won’t make the finals this year.

. So what does a win and what does a loss achieve?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

For the club to move forward in the long term, unfortunately we need to lose. By a lot.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: April 5, 2018, 9:20 am It certainly is an unusual feeling going into this match. Just 9 teams have made the finals since 1908.after starting the season 0-4. With two making the Grand final and one winning the GF.
I’m prepared to admit that we won’t make the finals this year.

. So what does a win and what does a loss achieve?
I guess it's about finding which players are worth keeping and getting them experience.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

For sure just feels different today.

Unfortunately regardless of this result we aren't doing anything this season. I never thought I would say this but part of me hopes we get flogged, the only way I can see any future for us is to get rid of Furner and Stuart. This is our most talented squad in 20 years and I can just see it being torn apart through-out this season and beyond.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:For the club to move forward in the long term, unfortunately we need to lose. By a lot.
I actually agree with this, and that sucks

I’ll be watching tonight and I’ll obviously be cheering the boys like I do every week, but seriously in the long term future of the club, we actually would be better off losing the next two weeks and our coach gets bounced off a trampoline into a large pool filled with jelly. He doesn’t injure himself, of course, I would never wish that on anyone
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I hear trampolining is actually quite dangerous...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It’s really soft jelly
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:31 am
Neeeegz wrote:For the club to move forward in the long term, unfortunately we need to lose. By a lot.

I’ll be watching tonight and I’ll obviously be cheering the boys like I do every week, but seriously in the long term future of the club, we actually would be better off losing the next two weeks and our coach gets bounced off a trampoline into a large pool filled with jelly. He doesn’t injure himself, of course, I would never wish that on anyone
If you'd have qualified all of your cannon references with that disclaimer, would they have been edited? :hmmm
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Oh

Oh my gawd that's fully sick, an idiot on an internet forum agrees with me, praise jebus
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:Oh

Oh my gawd that's fully sick, an idiot on an internet forum agrees with me, praise jebus
Idiot?? Well I never! I’ll have you know I was one of the smartest kids in Baffle Creek!!

I was easily in the top fifty percentile of our 20 kid primary school
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

:arrow:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I kind of like the idea of a Thursday game at the moment - it means another Raiders loss wont ruin my weekend!

Unfortunately I feel like we are going to get worse before we get better.
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

I'm not sure I can see anything changing even if we lose by 50. The coach has two more years left on his contract and I doubt the club will pay that out.
Bulldogs by 10. The Dogs aren't good enough to thrash anyone.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we pay him out does it count on our Coaching cap for next year like it would with a player?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

edwahu wrote: April 5, 2018, 1:21 pm If we pay him out does it count on our Coaching cap for next year like it would with a player?
I don't know. I hope this helps.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Feeling oddly optimistic
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I imagine so.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

reptar wrote: April 5, 2018, 1:29 pm
edwahu wrote: April 5, 2018, 1:21 pm If we pay him out does it count on our Coaching cap for next year like it would with a player?
I don't know. I hope this helps.
Always.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Hope and dread - not a good formula for a happy afternoon. I’ll be at the game cheering of course. I hope they axe the Viking clap until we get a few wins. It seems terribly ironic at the moment.
CRR

Post by CRR »

ITS GAME DAY

How can we lose this one people?
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

Feel kind of weird about tonight. On one hand I want us to put a 'W' in the win column, but on the other hand I want more changes to happen to the team. Either way, we won't be making the eight this year....

What happens to Paps and Austin if we happen to win the next 2 games? They stay at the Mounties?
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

CRR wrote: April 5, 2018, 3:22 pm ITS GAME DAY

How can we lose this one people?
Same as every other week, by ****ing the bed
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

SeeBee101 wrote: April 5, 2018, 3:31 pm Feel kind of weird about tonight. On one hand I want us to put a 'W' in the win column, but on the other hand I want more changes to happen to the team. Either way, we won't be making the eight this year....

What happens to Paps and Austin if we happen to win the next 2 games? They stay at the Mounties?
It should depend on how well they perform for Mounties and how well their replacements perform in FG.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Wighton may be a late scratching, totaly unrelated to his night club incident.

Rapana or Cotric to move to fullback and Oldfield to come in.
WorkChoice
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Goobeeful »

Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton set to be late withdrawal

Canberra fullback Jack Wighton is expected to be a last-minute omission for Thursday night’s clash against the Canterbury Bulldogs in the nation’s capital.

The Raiders No.1 welcomed his second child at 3am on Thursday and hasn’t slept in the lead-up to his side’s crucial clash against the Bulldogs.

Michael Oldfield is on standby with Jordan Rapana or Nick Cotric shifting to fullback in his absence as the Raiders search for their first win of the year.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/05/lat ... -bulldogs/

Bloody Oldfield, my hopes are lost, if we kept Austin in the lineup he could have gone to FB for sure
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Cotric at the back

Please Ricky let it happen. Let's see what this kid can do

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
CRR

Post by CRR »

CJR wrote: April 5, 2018, 4:55 pm Cotric at the back

Please Ricky let it happen. Let's see what this kid can do

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Potato head says no
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

so who would people rather see at fullback, cotric or rapana?
rapana would have better ball playing skills?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I'd rather see Abbey at fullback

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk