NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
El_Capitano wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:27 am No, and it’ll be interesting how other off field incidents will be measured against this one. I agree with what the Raiders put forward, 6 matches seemed fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So do you agree that Mitchell Pearce deserved ten weeks when he did essentially nothing wrong?? He certainly didn't break any laws.
Don’t forget Pearce got 8 weeks for the dog issue, ‘plus’ threats against the woman, making unwanted advances on the woman, urinating on her couch and according to reports, he had four other previous alcohol related incidents. I think the bizarre nature of the Dog video means we forget the other parts of his indiscretion.

Summernats has seen far worse and more violent behaviour than Wighton that hasn’t resulted in police charges.

After seeing the video of Wighton as comparatively tame and considering previous NRL suspensions and non suspensions, I thought the 6 week suspension by the Raiders didn’t deserve the NRL Commission imposing additional suspension.

I just ask for consistency from the NRL commission, not whether the 10 weeks was too high or low.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

After watching the footage from the cctv cameras, and remembering there is no sound and no showing what happened before hand the facts as far as i am conncerned is that it was a simple scuffle that happens every night all over the country. It wasn't unprovoked. If he really wanted to hurt the guy , the guy would still be in hospital drinking through a straw.

And he got a large fine and 10 weeks suspension

Right now the NRL have-

Chee Cam- unprovoked attack on a uber driver

Jack Debelin- sexual assault

Hayne- not registered so not included

Walker- DV charges

And that's off the top of my head.

As a female I believe all those cases are worse than what Jack did.

I will happily accept Jack's punishment if the NRL are consistent.

Based on that

Walker should get 12months (past history and if the nrl are serious about white ribbon)

Jack debalin- deregestered

Hayne- stamped never to play again

Chee Cam- 20 weeks and large fine

But I am expecting
Walker- small fine
Debalin 5 weeks
Chee cam - large fine

That's what makes the fans cranky

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The evidence tendered in court by the prosecution, as I recall, was that it was unprovoked. And Jack Wighton did not contest the facts and pleaded guilty.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 2:50 pm The evidence tendered in court by the prosecution, as I recall, was that it was unprovoked. And Jack Wighton did not contest the facts and pleaded guilty.
Louder for those up the back pretending this isnt a fact.
Book on this is written.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Sorry GE, i was going off the video and there seems to be a lot of interaction before the shove happened.

Still stand by my comparison of Jack 's night of "fun" and the current crop of players behaving badly.

Pleading guilty doesn't actually mean Jack doesn't believe he wasn't provoked. Just means he has been advised by his legal team that would be the best call for the lightest sentence.

Based on Jack's punishment GE, Pigman and others what do you believe would be a consistent punishment for those misbehaving this off season to get based on the known facts?

Vaccinated
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

What Wighton did was be a drunken idiot and a thug. No coward punches, not even any real punches. Move on.

From what I've heard, 'Debelin is in BIG trouble, and Hayne should be ok'.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat... as you might recall, I was someone saying that the CCTV footage was consistent with the 10 week suspension, as it was not that bad. But we can't say that there was provocation. The facts have been established in a court of law.

I'm all for those convicted of domestic violence and sexual assault being deregistered permanently... but in some cases it might be appropriate to consider a lengthy suspension instead. It depends on the circumstances. I note the NFL only permanently ban on a second offence. I can't say in the case of Walker, De Belin and Hayne what the punishment should be, as there are legal processes on foot. They might be proven innocent.

I don't know what Michael Chee Kam has done precisely, and again he might be proven innocent. So it sort of depends, but if it an unprovoked attack like Jack's is proven, maybe 10 weeks... more if it is worse.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Wighton didn't deserve ten weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

10 weeks was fair enough. He got hammered and behaved like a twat.

Pearce was hard done by IMO but it occurred as part of a team function and was witnessed by teammates. But it was much more lenient than the trial by media handed to Joel Monaghan.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

cat wrote:Sorry GE, i was going off the video and there seems to be a lot of interaction before the shove happened.

Still stand by my comparison of Jack 's night of "fun" and the current crop of players behaving badly.

Pleading guilty doesn't actually mean Jack doesn't believe he wasn't provoked. Just means he has been advised by his legal team that would be the best call for the lightest sentence.

Based on Jack's punishment GE, Pigman and others what do you believe would be a consistent punishment for those misbehaving this off season to get based on the known facts?

I'd imagine the NRL will wait for the outcome of the individual investigations before making a decision on punishment. It may prove more difficult to convict any of them as, from what I can tell they are all a case of one person's word against another. Jack was on CCTV.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Bolton has pleaded and found guilty today. Will be interesting to see what the nrl do now

Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

gergreg wrote:
cat wrote:Sorry GE, i was going off the video and there seems to be a lot of interaction before the shove happened.

I'd imagine the NRL will wait for the outcome of the individual investigations before making a decision on punishment. It may prove more difficult to convict any of them as, from what I can tell they are all a case of one person's word against another. Jack was on CCTV.

Would expect them to wait till its through court too. Just curious based on what we have all read/seen on tv what would people think should be a consistent punishment for them based on Jack's 10weeks and large fine.

Walker has a lot of witnesses so he will be in trouble, witnesses with chee cam too.

Its the hayne and Debalin cases where its a bit more he says/she says

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No conviction was recorded against Scott Bolton. He's on a 12 month good behaviour bond. Charges of indecent assault were withdrawn, he agreed to the charge sheet facts which alleged "common assualt", which basically meant he agreed he grabbed a woman's upper thigh in a bar: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/07/nor ... ilty-plea/

I somehow doubt the NRL will suspend him given the findings, but if they do I suspect it won't be for long.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If Debelin is guilty the only side he will turn out for is Silverwater.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

If Hayne is guilty you'd think they'd be sharing a cell.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Green eyed Mick wrote:If Hayne is guilty you'd think they'd be sharing a cell.
Sharks might need to relocate , silverwaters stingrays sounds good.....

Or long bay leopards

Vaccinated
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 5:24 pm No conviction was recorded against Scott Bolton. He's on a 12 month good behaviour bond. Charges of indecent assault were withdrawn, he agreed to the charge sheet facts which alleged "common assualt", which basically meant he agreed he grabbed a woman's upper thigh in a bar: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/07/nor ... ilty-plea/

I somehow doubt the NRL will suspend him given the findings, but if they do I suspect it won't be for long.
The NRL had better suspend him. IMO anything less than four weeks would be lenient.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: January 7, 2019, 6:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 5:24 pm No conviction was recorded against Scott Bolton. He's on a 12 month good behaviour bond. Charges of indecent assault were withdrawn, he agreed to the charge sheet facts which alleged "common assualt", which basically meant he agreed he grabbed a woman's upper thigh in a bar: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/07/nor ... ilty-plea/

The NRL had better suspend him. IMO anything less than four weeks would be lenient.
I agree a month is probably warranted, without having gone through all the facts.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

cat wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Would expect them to wait till its through court too. Just curious based on what we have all read/seen on tv what would people think should be a consistent punishment for them based on Jack's 10weeks and large fine.

Walker has a lot of witnesses so he will be in trouble, witnesses with chee cam too.

Its the hayne and Debalin cases where its a bit more he says/she says

I'd love to see some consistency from the NRL but the alleged crimes aren't consistent. I've said before I'd prefer most of these blokes who commit serious crimes (domestic violence/assault) be deregistered and never allowed to return. You watch these types of incidents dry up when that happens. They'll (the incidents) never completely disappear IMO but I don't want these **** tarnishing the game I love anymore.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by The Nickman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:10 weeks was fair enough. He got hammered and behaved like a twat.

Pearce was hard done by IMO but it occurred as part of a team function and was witnessed by teammates. But it was much more lenient than the trial by media handed to Joel Monaghan.
Monaghan’s was MUCH worse than Pearce’s though. People who seem to continually want to compare the two incidents like they are even remotely in the same stratosphere have either a) not watched the Pearce video, or 2) some severe green blinkers on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

A large part of me thinks the nrl should stick to footy and leave the criminal charges to the experts- courts deal with it and that's it.

Otherwise they need to have some kind of guidelines they follow.

At the moment its seems to be what mood the nrl are in what happens

Each tackle/on field offence is different but they manage to be a little more consistent

Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote:A large part of me thinks the nrl should stick to footy and leave the criminal charges to the experts- courts deal with it and that's it.

Otherwise they need to have some kind of guidelines they follow.

At the moment its seems to be what mood the nrl are in what happens

Each tackle/on field offence is different but they manage to be a little more consistent

I understand the concept here, but while you have these blokes running around being paid upwards of seven figures and being role models to kids, you need to be firm in your stance with off field behaviour.

I actually think the NRL needs to be MORE severe in their punishments, not less. Honestly, I’d have no issues with any player who is convicted (and only once they’re convicted, not during the trial or in the lead up) of violent or sexual offences to be rubbed out of the game FOR LIFE.

That sure would clean them up pretty quick. And seriously, if we had those rules in place the last decade, who would we be missing from the game we couldn’t replace? Any big names? Greg Bird perhaps, I can’t think of too many others the game couldn’t replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

In terms of the serious crimes of sexual assault and serious violent crime I agree. But the problem there is most of these cases don't even make it to court. Very interesting that Walker 's missus is withdrawing her statement. Clubs with deep pockets.....

And you need a definition of "violent crime"
Was papa and the hand cream a "violent crime"?

Driving offenses, weeing in public, public nudity etc. Just let the courts decide.
Recently in some cases the nrl punishment was harsher then the court's one.

Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:53 pm I actually think the NRL needs to be MORE severe in their punishments, not less. Honestly, I’d have no issues with any player who is convicted (and only once they’re convicted, not during the trial or in the lead up) of violent or sexual offences to be rubbed out of the game FOR LIFE.
Completely unworkable. It would leave the Daily Telegraph without their pre-season raft of redemption stories.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If you made it a mandatory LIFE ban in NRL for sexual/physical assault on women, you wouldn’t hear of a single incident again. And not because it doesn’t happen
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Beejay wrote:If you made it a mandatory LIFE ban in NRL for sexual/physical assault on women, you wouldn’t hear of a single incident again. And not because it doesn’t happen
Spot on other Beejay. Encourage even more sweeping under the carpet and victim bribing.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

BJ wrote:
Beejay wrote:If you made it a mandatory LIFE ban in NRL for sexual/physical assault on women, you wouldn’t hear of a single incident again. And not because it doesn’t happen
Spot on other Beejay. Encourage even more sweeping under the carpet and victim bribing.
The only way that could possibly work is if there was significant fines/bans/expelling from the nrl for all clubs and officials found to be bribing victims and witnesses

Otherwise even less will come forward.

I find it really hard to believe this is only the 2nd time hayne has crossed the line...

Vaccinated
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Dead set the reaction of some of you to Jacks behaviour is so strange. I can only assume

1). You have never been in that type of situation before

2). You grossly overestimate your ability to deal with a drunk, large, strong professional athlete

3). You’re an idiot

Jack’s actions were disgraceful. 10 weeks is absolutely fair!
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

cat wrote: January 7, 2019, 10:15 pm
BJ wrote:
The only way that could possibly work is if there was significant fines/bans/expelling from the nrl for all clubs and officials found to be bribing victims and witnesses

I find it really hard to believe this is only the 2nd time hayne has crossed the line...

2nd time hes been caught crossing the line Cat
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

cat wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:11 pm In terms of the serious crimes of sexual assault and serious violent crime I agree. But the problem there is most of these cases don't even make it to court. Very interesting that Walker 's missus is withdrawing her statement. Clubs with deep pockets.....

And you need a definition of "violent crime"
Was papa and the hand cream a "violent crime"?

Driving offenses, weeing in public, public nudity etc. Just let the courts decide.
Recently in some cases the nrl punishment was harsher then the court's one.

If your found innocent in a law court, I dont think it means your actually innocent. If you have enough money you will come out looking ok.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In Australia if you're found innocent in a court of law... you're innocent.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Johno wrote:
cat wrote: January 7, 2019, 10:15 pm
BJ wrote:

2nd time hes been caught crossing the line Cat
How many have been paid off up until now? But players/clubs/managers get away with it

Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:In Australia if you're found innocent in a court of law... you're innocent.
In the eyes of the law sure... not in reality necessarily.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:In Australia if you're found innocent in a court of law... you're innocent.
Technically, it means that your guilt could not be proven to a standard required by law.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: January 7, 2019, 4:18 pm Wighton didn't deserve ten weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agreed. He deserved much more. Probably deserved to be sacked.