NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by Botman »

We've had varying reports on how bad the footage is, so im prepared for a wide range of possibilities. We're going to see once and for all what happened here
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 8, 2018, 2:22 pm NRL has handed down their punishment. Can't change that due to retrospective public outrage.
I wouldnt bet on that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: October 8, 2018, 2:22 pm NRL has handed down their punishment. Can't change that due to retrospective public outrage.
I wouldnt bet on that.
Yeah there's plenty of evidence that the NRL is completely reactionary to public perception and social media pressure.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Our club isn't known for it's backbone in the face of public scrutiny either. I think it's unlikely that any further action would be taken by the NRL or Raiders, as others have said, they've apparently seen the footage and made the call that they did... But there is a limit to how much confidence i can have in that given the reactionary nature of both the Raiders and NRL.

If this video is really bad, it wouldnt shock me at all if further action was taken
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Not with Matt Lodge though
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

nacho wrote: October 8, 2018, 5:58 pm Not with Matt Lodge though
Yeah, that's a pretty fair retort.
Hard to imagine Wighton's video will be worse than his.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

nacho wrote:Not with Matt Lodge though
Matt Lodge was sacked and spent two years out of the game. Yes it was a lot worse an action, but still punishment was harsh. And in my opinion he shouldn't be allowed back. But in saying that, Wighton should be sacked and punished accordingly also.

The act of physical, sexual or domestic violence toward anyone of any level should result in immediate termination of employment. The fact the Raiders stand by EDIT is one of the reasons why I refuse to pay for my memberships this coming season. It may not be much, but I cannot pay to support a club EDIT.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If Wighton cops more than a short stint of Weekend detention, then I think the NRL might add more to the suspension. But if no jail time is involved, I think they will see the ‘almost half a season’ as acceptable Punishment.

But agree with others that the NRL has no consistency in their rulings.

If Wighton just cops a fine and light suspended sentence, then you will have wonder if the NRL did the right thing in disregarding the Raiders 6 game self imposed sentence.

My guess is the entire back half of the season was about appropriate as a punishment. But if the footage includes coward punches and serious assault on unsuspecting victims.......
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The NRL has already handed down a punishment AFTER seeing the footage. They can't double dip him. They'll end up in court themselves if they try. They have a PR out over the large fine and suspension plus the old let the courts handle it. If the sky falls it won't be the NRL that pulled it down, it'll be the court / or the Raiders.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The NRL have seen the footage so they know what to expect. The 24 hour news cycle will suck the life out of the story within a few days and it will be all but forgotten by round 1.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Let's hope not. His victims have to live with it. Jack should too. EDIT.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah in light of the Matt Lodge precedent im leaning that way now too.
The club would be able to apply quite a lot of leverage on the league by saying "You saw the footage, you made your call... if you want to double down, know that we'll be bringing Matt Lodge back into the public forum, and you guys dont want any part of that"
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I just wish the NRL would sack up and sack players with serious offences.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I understand the footage will be released when he's due for sentencing - dunno if that means before, after or during. But it can surely only be footage of things that he's actually being sentenced FOR.

So if he's made any out-of-court settlements - that he therefore can't be sentenced for - footage of those incidents surely can't be released.

So whatever we see may still not be the whole story anyway. Anyone got a legal opinion?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The story says it’ll be released after sentencing.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

EDIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

If Jack gets home detention can we play our home games in his back yard?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johno wrote: October 8, 2018, 10:40 pm If Jack gets home detention can we play our home games in his back yard?
Great idea but it'd never get cleared. Jack's trampoline is almost as dangerous as a night out with him on the gas.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Does anyone else foresee a circumstance when Jack can only play on half the field because the other half is outside of his permitted travel from home and his ankle bracelet will go off?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 9, 2018, 7:12 am Does anyone else foresee a circumstance when Jack can only play on half the field because the other half is outside of his permitted travel from home and his ankle bracelet will go off?
I imagine with our luck the zone will extend right to the try line.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

He can’t make “out of court” settlements. This is a criminal court not a civil action.

Who he is going to make the out of court settlement with?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bay53 wrote: October 9, 2018, 2:50 pm He can’t make “out of court” settlements. This is a criminal court not a civil action.

Who he is going to make the out of court settlement with?
IF he had agreed to pay off anyone he offended against, they may decide not to participate in a prosecution. Therefore not appearing in any criminal action, and therefore not being part of the footage. We'll see (or not, as the case may be).
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

You speak like you've seen the footage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I doubt he's getting sentenced to prison.

Plenty of other NRL players with assault and DV charges (Greg Bird and glassing spring to mind), all played footy.

Russell Packer the only one incarcerated, and he stomped on someone's head.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

dubby wrote: October 9, 2018, 6:50 pm I doubt he's getting sentenced to prison.

Plenty of other NRL players with assault and DV charges (Greg Bird and glassing spring to mind), all played footy.

Russell Packer the only one incarcerated, and he stomped on someone's head.

That Greg Bird story would have to be the worst if its true, absolutely terrible, and he played how many more games!
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

We should be right. There is no ways news limited would try to blow this out of proportion to make Todd Greenberg and the NRL look bad.......
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I'm happy with my opinion of him and from what I have been told, I think it's deserved. I can sleep well at night knowing I will never, ever financially support a club willing to defend EDIT.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Lucy on October 9, 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2018, 7:38 pm The NRL has already handed down a punishment AFTER seeing the footage. They can't double dip him. They'll end up in court themselves if they try. They have a PR out over the large fine and suspension plus the old let the courts handle it. If the sky falls it won't be the NRL that pulled it down, it'll be the court / or the Raiders.
I agree BnM. The Raiders initial proposed penalty was laughed at by the NRL. The subsequent penalty got the NRL nod.
The Court has a guilty plea in front of it.
Five people assaulted. That cannot be waived through. I feel for the victims and his family.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

EDIT should have been sacked months back. This club has sunk to levels I never thought possible
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'm not defending Jack, nor am I going to condemn him.

I think it's prudent to wait until I see the footage before I start making any comments .

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Please remember sentencing is still to take place. And the forum has guidelines about over the top comments and language. You can still make your points without either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: October 10, 2018, 7:35 am I'm not defending Jack, nor am I going to condemn him.

I think it's prudent to wait until I see the footage before I start making any comments .

Why is it prudent to see the footage?
The footage is not going to be good, how bad it is, remains to be seen, but as far as defend vs condemn goes, he's plead guilty and will be sentenced shortly for his crime. There is nothing to defend. He did what the police accused him of. He is guilty, there is nothing to defend him for here, and people are right to condemn him and his actions.

What the **** is wrong with you?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

In the article and several others it states that "police facts, tendered in court in June, said the footage showed Wighton head-butt and punch a man...... shove and then punch (another) man in the face..... attacking 3 men, headbutting and punching them in the head and face"

And that is pretty much what we will see in the footage. How is that so difficult to grasp?

It sounds pretty bad and I'm sure the footage will be pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote: October 10, 2018, 8:19 am
dubby wrote: October 10, 2018, 7:35 am I'm not defending Jack, nor am I going to condemn him.

Why is it prudent to see the footage?
The footage is not going to be good, how bad it is, remains to be seen, but as far as defend vs condemn goes, he's plead guilty and will be sentenced shortly for his crime. There is nothing to defend. He did what the police accused him of. He is guilty, there is nothing to defend him for here, and people are right to condemn him and his actions.

What the **** is wrong with you?
Um, maybe because we will get a clear view of what wighton actually did? The blokes he towelled up may have been up to no good, coloured or even homosexual.
Do people really think the video that wighton has tried to have suppressed is going to make anything better? I know jacks far from the smartest bloke but as a rule of thumb, id say most lawyers would advise him against trying to suppress something that would benefit him.
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd say he wanted it suppressed because he has young kids and unlike most he has a high profile so it will be plastered all over the papers and TV and will always be a Google search away.