Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by Botman »

Good
I was disappointed to find out I’d been demoted from Captain
Lord help us if they ever let some two bit idiot like you take controls!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Only you can wave the asinine nincompoops that comprise this forum into landing Nick! I'm not worthy.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

edwahu wrote:The funny thing about all this loyalty towards Jack is he almost certainly shopped himself to the Knights at the start of the year.
100% agree, this hasn’t been mentioned a great deal around here but he actually wants to leave.

His form at the start of the year shows he must have felt bad and was trying to repay Ricky, however my concern is that form is his ceiling.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bay53 wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:51 pm
Bay53 wrote:I think Rothfield is exactly right in that article.

I would much prefer massive fines for bad off field behaviour.

BTW Rothfield’s article estimates Wighton is on $750k per year.
Yeah but the issue is he's assuming players get paid for the 30 weeks and that's it..

Their pa is November to October
I think you are focussing on the number rather than the issue. NRL players in general get paid like the rest of us, with a periodic salary of the same amount each time. I am pretty sure the Raiders used to pay every four weeks. Not sure if that is still the case.

But the main point that Rothfield is making is Wighton is still making a significant net profit for this period of time and in his opinion they would be far better off fining players massive amounts.

I totally agree with him.
The principal of the article I agree with entirely, I just don't agree with causing more outrage over a falsity

Set to earn 250k has a better ring to it than 145k
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

edwahu wrote: July 16, 2018, 1:45 pm The funny thing about all this loyalty towards Jack is he almost certainly shopped himself to the Knights at the start of the year.
Why would he shop himself to the Knights, especially when he is not off-contract?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Beejay wrote: July 16, 2018, 3:03 pm
edwahu wrote: July 16, 2018, 1:45 pm The funny thing about all this loyalty towards Jack is he almost certainly shopped himself to the Knights at the start of the year.
Why would he shop himself to the Knights, especially when he is not off-contract?
He wanted to play centre to enhance his chances of rep footy.

Barry Toohey wrote an article on it, and he gets near 100% good oil on Knights stuff.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

There was a rumour at the beginning of the year he didn't want to play fullback anymore because he felt his best shot at playing origin was in the centres.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I'd still have him at centre ahead of Roberts.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on July 16, 2018, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Well, he is a **** house fullback so maybe he should go be the centre at the Knights.

I encourage it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 15, 2018, 6:50 pm Jack Wighton paying for NRL's handling of Matt Lodge case: Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner

Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner has poured more fuel on the Jack Wighton-suspension fire, claiming they're paying for the NRL's and Brisbane Broncos' mishandling of Matt Lodge.

"The NRL were embarrassed by their and Broncos' handling of the Matt Lodge incident and it appears Jack has paid a higher price for that," he said on Sunday. But the NRL denied Furner's comments and said every incident was judged on a case-by-case basis.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zri9.html
Bloody hell Don. If one of the FIVE assaults had resulted in the person on the receiving end falling the wrong way onto the pavement, then he may have been looking at a far more serious charge. Has Sticky's love for Jack smokescreen taken away all your common sense too? Just cop the suspension and point out to every player in green that this was a light penalty because Jacks actions could have had tragic consequences.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: July 16, 2018, 2:26 pm
sprintman wrote: July 16, 2018, 2:14 pm Suggest folk read the Buzz article in full, especially the paragraphs about the NRL needing the Raiders in the finals. He makes a lot of sense u
He gives us a fair wrap. I don't really agree with his argument though, the reason for suspending the players is that it punishes the clubs, who have the responsibility to keep the players in line and maintain a decent culture. If you take that away I guarantee some poorly behaved players will just get bailed out financially by the clubs benefactors every time they get in trouble.
Don't be conned by the Buzzard. It will be anti-Raiders business as usual soon enough from him. I reckon he would be more worried about the 8 being decided so far out from the finals. What on Earth is he going to write about when only half the comp has anything to play for over the next 7 weeks?

I agree with your point Ed. Those Clubs with wealthy benefactors will soon look after fines imposed. Not the Raiders of course as we don't have many/any benefactors.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Seeing the way the Raiders are playing this Wighton game, how long do you think it will be before someone from Raiders HQ reaches out to claim the new cap relief.

I’ll give it a week before they try and suggest his suspension has injured his soul, and it happened while representing the ACT region on a night out

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Timbo wrote:
There was a rumour at the beginning of the year he didn't want to play fullback anymore because he felt his best shot at playing origin was in the centres.
I think it had more to do with the uncertainty regarding his future at the club following his birthday ‘bash’ celebrations.

At that time the Raiders had not made a call on what they were going to do as punishment. Suppose his manager was doing due diligence in case his contract was torn up and making enquiries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Woodgers wrote: July 16, 2018, 1:10 pm Sorry for the repetition but I reckon our best bet going forward based on all the info is putting Jack back to 6 next season. Even though this has been far and away his most consistent season at fullback I think the time is right and it solves one of our biggest deficiencies and that is the right edge defence. Corey Norman won't do that, and by all reports Norman isn't that keen on not being the main chief and Hodgson is already that player in our side. There isn't much else out there worth pursuing.

People will always point out that he wasn't that great there previously, but he's a different player now. He has stood behind the line and will be a much better player in attack and defence because of it. His passing game is infinitely better and he's hard to handle one on one when he runs.

I'm not sure whether you look at Cotric or Abbey to fill the fullback role but we now have the rest of the season to work that out. Cotric's last ditch defence and positioning for those tackles the other night was impressive so he's a strong candidate. He'd need to spend more time working on his passing and the sweep plays but every report we've heard on the kid is he is eager to learn and naturally picks things up so a full offseason training there and learning off Jack would do him wonders.

When you think about the amount of close games we've lost where we've got virtually nothing out of the 6 in attack and what they've cost us in defence, I think we'd be instantly better off with this personnel change. We'd immediately have the best defensive half in the comp for a start.

FTR I don't think Sticky is moving Wighton no matter how much sense it makes.
Hang on a minute !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

After the 10 week suspension for Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton, is it time for the NRL to take control of player sanctions?

Whether you agree with Canberra Raiders chairman Allan Hawke on Jack Wighton's suspension or not, he's right about one thing. It's time for the NRL to take control and take player sanctions for off-field incidents out of the hands of the clubs.

It would save the clubs a lot of time - and face - if the NRL simply did the job themselves. Surely that's what their integrity unit is paid for.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zrlv.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I wish the club would just get over it. This carry on is not doing anything positive for the club. The NRL will just go harsher on any future Raider incident if the club keeps trying to shove it in their face.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the point raised in that is fair... you cant trust the clubs to handle this, they'll do what's best for them
I dont agree with the Raiders proposed punishment and certainly not the way the club has handled this incident, i dont even agree with the NRL's findings but i think its best the NRL handles this. It's just better for all concerned to have the NRL as the 'bad guys' and give the clubs the ability to play 'good cop'
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

You probably need a panel independent of the NRL to hand out punishments.

That said their version of an independent panel would probably be Bill Harrigan, Paul Vautin and Beau Ryan.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Solve 2 problems at once, have the NRL pay the players on behalf of the clubs to hold more control of the salary cap, then they also take player sanctions for off-field incidents out of the hands of clubs
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Sid wrote: July 16, 2018, 9:29 pm Solve 2 problems at once, have the NRL pay the players on behalf of the clubs to hold more control of the salary cap, then they also take player sanctions for off-field incidents out of the hands of clubs
Hmmm I like that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Oh lord Sid. It makes far too much sense for the NRL...
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I have said for a long time that the NRL should pay the players. Then the salary cap becomes very simple, you get paid outside of that, you are cheating the cap.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah there is a lot of sense in that, they should also take over 3rd parties.
Any income going to the players should be given to them directly by the NRL, that way any income outside of that is a cap breach and they can completely control the entire cash flow and make sure everyone is compliant

Also publish the damn salaries already.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

You know your clubs position is untenable when Paul Gallen comes out in support...

Paul Gallen rips NRL for inconsistency following Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton's 10-week ban

Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen has slammed the NRL for its inconsistent penalties and suspensions in the wake of the Jack Wighton ruling.

Speaking on 100% Footy, Gallen suggested that comparing Wighton’s incident to previous misdemeanours showed that he had been hardly done by. “Last year we have the two New Zealand players [Kevin Proctor and Jesse Bromwich] get caught taking cocaine, they get a three-week suspension,” he said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/07/16/22/ ... onsistency
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On 100 per cent Footy last night, Gallen was actually criticising the referees for holding up the game after Jarrod Croker dislocated his knee! They were having a whinge about delaying the match for cramp etc... but the guy is writhing on the ground right in the middle of play... and he wants the game to go on. He’s an absolutely low human being, and an annoying pundit as well. As for Ryan Sims, her “analysis” is even worse.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: July 17, 2018, 9:17 am You know your clubs position is untenable when Paul Gallen comes out in support...

Paul Gallen rips NRL for inconsistency following Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton's 10-week ban

Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen has slammed the NRL for its inconsistent penalties and suspensions in the wake of the Jack Wighton ruling.

Speaking on 100% Footy, Gallen suggested that comparing Wighton’s incident to previous misdemeanours showed that he had been hardly done by. “Last year we have the two New Zealand players [Kevin Proctor and Jesse Bromwich] get caught taking cocaine, they get a three-week suspension,” he said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/07/16/22/ ... onsistency
Or how about a three week suspension for people who admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs after participating in a club coordinated drug cheating program... instead of sitting on the sidelines for four years like other drug cheats?!

I’m starting to see the inconsistencies!

Seriously though, the NRL has learned that they haven’t been tough enough or consistent enough... and that’s why they’re coming in over the top. They should now introduce a proper process and set down a consistent framework for penalties.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Gallen said in that short video that Wighton was approached and attacked by 4 men.

Is that how it went down ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

According to the evidence tendered by police, one man approached to shake his hand... but they say the assaults were unprovoked.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: July 17, 2018, 11:31 am Gallen said in that short video that Wighton was approached and attacked by 4 men.

Thinking that was Gallen's personal interpretation. Considering that none of the guys who "attacked" Jack were charged with assault I'm guessing his interpretation is misguided.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Well Jack didn't plead self defence.

He pled guilty to multiple assaults I'm to believe.

Where is this grub human Gallen getting his info ?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote: July 17, 2018, 11:40 am Well Jack didn't plead self defence.

He pled guilty to multiple assaults I'm to believe.

Where is this grub human Gallen getting his info ?
Gotta be Ricky. They're still mates. This is definitely our club 'white-anting' the NRL.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: July 17, 2018, 11:31 am Gallen said in that short video that Wighton was approached and attacked by 4 men.

I can't imagine why they would be suppressing it if that was the case.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Gallen shouldn't be talking to tv/radio/press on anything he knows nothing about.

Especially cases that are currently pending court.

He gone why over the top here, shooting from the lip.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Imagine listening to anything Paul Gallen has to say

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2018, 10:56 am On 100 per cent Footy last night, Gallen was actually criticising the referees for holding up the game after Jarrod Croker dislocated his knee! They were having a whinge about delaying the match for cramp etc... but the guy is writhing on the ground right in the middle of play... and he wants the game to go on. He’s an absolutely low human being, and an annoying pundit as well. As for Ryan Sims, her “analysis” is even worse.
I'm still trying to work out why you watch that show