NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by Keghead »

You just keep doing your perms and paying your money Captain that’s all we need from you
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I don't claim to be a world class coach, nor have i seen as much footy as some of you, and im no so called "expert", but...

I understand why Ricky went to Cotric at FB, but he has been an absolute waste of space at FB. Yes he is defensively safe, but in 3 or 4 games at FB he has done far less than Jack did in the same time. He plain an simple doesn't have the skillset in the modern game. He should have filled Crokers shoes.

Now... I could see it before he played FB. Why cant our coaching staff?!?

Rapa is far more suited, though moving him means less BJ combo, and im certain Rapa saves a few errors a game from BJ.

HELL, even play Cotric outside BJ as a straight swap.

Jack was our best player until his suspension. He was leading our try assists, and made that left edge deadlier than any other edge in the comp. We spent 3 yrs converting him. This yr he delivered what we hoped... well sort of. Getting suspended for being a baitable drunk loose cannon was dumb, really dumb.

Which leads me to, I cant believe how badly we miss him at FB. I really hope this off field mess hits some home truths for him. We need him back, and we need him at FB.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Keghead and Captain Punish having a good old barney. Confirms that Keghead is another Lucy alt.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Keghead wrote:You just keep doing your perms and paying your money Captain that’s all we need from you
Hahaha!

He's a regular!! I love him even more now..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Northern Raider wrote:Keghead and Captain Punish having a good old barney. Confirms that Keghead is another Lucy alt.
Everyone wants to be me.. What can I say? I'm just a **** top bloke..

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:26 pm I don't claim to be a world class coach, nor have i seen as much footy as some of you, and im no so called "expert", but...

I understand why Ricky went to Cotric at FB, but he has been an absolute waste of space at FB. Yes he is defensively safe, but in 3 or 4 games at FB he has done far less than Jack did in the same time. He plain an simple doesn't have the skillset in the modern game. He should have filled Crokers shoes.

Rapa is far more suited, though moving him means less BJ combo, and im certain Rapa saves a few errors a game from BJ.

Jack was our best player until his suspension. He was leading our try assists, and made that left edge deadlier than any other edge in the comp. We spent 3 yrs converting him. This yr he delivered what we hoped... well sort of. Getting suspended for being a baitable drunk loose cannon was dumb, really dumb.

Which leads me to, I cant believe how badly we miss him at FB. I really hope this off field mess hits some home truths for him. We need him back, and we need him at FB.
Cotric was outstanding. How did we miss Jack at Fullback today? Because we didnt run a sweep play to the left constantly while we have the most damaging pairing in the game on the right?

Jack is obviously going to be in the side but to say Cotric hasnt been showing anything at fullback is way off the mark.
Last edited by edwahu on August 5, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Captain Punish wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:28 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Keghead and Captain Punish having a good old barney. Confirms that Keghead is another Lucy alt.
Everyone wants to be me.. What can I say? I'm just a **** top bloke.

We're all flesh and blood
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

edwahu wrote:
Matt wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:26 pm I don't claim to be a world class coach, nor have i seen as much footy as some of you, and im no so called "expert", but...

Cotric was outstanding. How did we miss Jack at Fullback today? Because we didnt run a sweep play to the left constantly while we have the most damaging pairing in the game on the right?

Jack is obviously going to be in the side but to say Cotric hasnt been showing anything at fullback is way off the mark.
Spot on Ed. Cotric has held his own and shown more improvement in 3 games at fullback than Jack Wighton has in 5 seasons.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Jack is obviously going to be in the side but to say Cotric hasnt showing anything at fullback is way off the mark.
We must have watched a different game mate. I dont think Cotric wasnt outstanding tonight. Good maybe, outstanding no. Most of what he did was defensive kick return type stuff. Getting back in the field of play was good. He made 1 or 2 big tackles, sure. However, in attack, he had 1 amazingly good run. That one back on the inside running against the grain, then tried to go around Peach i think.

He butchered a sweep play in the first half. 1 off running or dummyhalf runs/ support was good, otherwise he looked lost in attack, and kinda stiffled it by not being a natural link man.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cotric was terrific tonight.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

umm just to note ATTACK ISNT OUR PROBLEM
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:47 pm Cotric was terrific tonight.
And yet his opposite number, a player without position, showed him up in nearly every facit of the game.

Yes, im aware of the howler drop.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

And yeah agree Cotric was outstanding
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Captain Punish wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The new poster is correct. The club is not seeking to suppress the footage. Jack Wighton's legal representatives are seeking to suppress the footage.
Only one poster said that to be the case. And I think he meant Jack/Club/Legal team as a whole due to them all being on "Team Kinghits are Ok"..

So you're saying that we shouldn't let the actual facts of the matter get in the way of old mate having a good yarn?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Agree with Matt, although I do think the defensive aspect of his game did standout more today.

Fullback is one of the easiest positions to look good in. It's also one of the easiest positions to look bad in, too. Unless you make some glaring mistakes, it's easy for people to think you've had a good game when you're catching bombs, sweeping up the ball, getting out of the in goal, etc - fundamental parts of a fullback's role.

In today's game, you must be adept with the ball in hand and be able to run plays. That's something that you can't get around, and especially when you've got weak halves.

Sterling effort from Nicko today and he would be a very safe backup if we need him to play there, but he isn't a starting fullback. Whether Jack is good enough or not is debatable (I still want an upgrade, with him shifting elsewhere), but at this point he's more suited to it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think anyone thinks Nick Cotric is a finished product as an NRL fullback, obviously his ball playing has a long way to go, but lets remember, the guy is 19, he's still not even close to his potential as a footballer.

James Tedesco is a good example of a limited ball player who's improved his game as a fullback to the point where whilst his running game is always the #1 threat of his game, he can still do what you need a fullback to do as a ball player. I dont see any reason why with a commitment to the position and good coaching, that Nic Cotric couldnt make that sort of improvement too
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The new poster is correct. The club is not seeking to suppress the footage. Jack Wighton's legal representatives are seeking to suppress the footage.
Only one poster said that to be the case. And I think he meant Jack/Club/Legal team as a whole due to them all being on "Team Kinghits are Ok"..

So you're saying that we shouldn't let the actual facts of the matter get in the way of old mate having a good yarn?
No, I'm saying we don't want the facts to get in the way of Old Mate Jack Wighton getting shown the door. The sooner the better. He is a nuff.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Im a little concerned afgtnk is supporting of my comments.

I also believe Piggy needs to weed out the 1 concerning flaw in his statement, which may scupper the rest...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You want to sit here and tell me at 19 years of age Teddy was a good ball player?
Good luck with that, Matt
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Captain Punish wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:16 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:

No, I'm saying we don't want the facts to get in the way of Old Mate Jack Wighton getting shown the door. The sooner the better. He is a nuff.

I think you’re confusing Jack with yourself.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:24 pm You want to sit here and tell me at 19 years of age Teddy was a good ball player?
No, i was more concerned about 'the good coaching'
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:26 pm
Pigman wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:24 pm You want to sit here and tell me at 19 years of age Teddy was a good ball player?
Good coaching is something we have complete control over. Cotric might not get it, but **** Teddy didnt either until he got to Robinson. He still developed that part of his game naturally because he's extremely talented.
Id argue he should have developed it much quicker, and id argue under a good coach, Cotric could too, but i don't believe for one second the ability to run a sweep play and pass effectively is beyond Nick Cotric.

He's got one of the highest footy IQ's ive seen. And is supremely talented.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:29 pm
Matt wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:26 pm
Good coaching is something we have complete control over. Cotric might not get it, but **** Teddy didnt either until he got to Robinson. He still developed that part of his game naturally because he's extremely talented.
Id argue he should have developed it much quicker, and id argue under a good coach, Cotric could too, but i don't believe for one second the ability to run a sweep play and pass effectively is beyond Nick Cotric.

He's got one of the highest footy IQ's ive seen. And is supremely talented.
TBH, I thought Teddy got a handle on his ball playing at Tigz. Though he was required to do a lot of individual brilliance in a terrible side.

Not doubting Cotrics talent, i just think he is better suited elsewhere.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah he did, under **** coaching. That's what im saying though
He came on to the scene and couldnt ball play for ****, but even with terrible coaching, he figured it out. No reason Nick Cotric cant.
And if we had the **** good graces to turf this idiot of a coach and get someone who knew what he was doing, we could accelerate that.

Right now Cotric IS better suited elsewhere, but we should be playing the long game with him.
Cotric knows how to pass a football. He can pass.
Playing this fullback role of today is all about being able to read defences and know the right play and make it. There absolutely no reason for me to believe Nick Cotric cant do that. He has the skills, he understands football on a higher level than most, he just needs work on that part of his game... which wont happen if he's pigeonholed as a winger.

Wighton is actually another good example. Dreadful ball player, who has not graduated to pretty good with time and development. All under sub par coaching.
Where do we see Cotric in 2025? Is it fullback? If so, get him there now and let him start developing those skills. Is it centre? Then get him there.

I dont think it should be wing, though i appreciate that he could play wing for 10 years and be one of the best in the world for all 10 of those years
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:15 pm The new poster is correct. The club is not seeking to suppress the footage. Jack Wighton's legal representatives are seeking to suppress the footage.
What is the difference?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

They were saying in the pregame that Ricky sees Cotric as the long term future of the raiders at fullback, allowing Jack to move to the halves.

What bet that’s the plan for next year.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Coastalraider wrote:They were saying in the pregame that Ricky sees Cotric as the long term future of the raiders at fullback, allowing Jack to move to the halves.

What bet that’s the plan for next year.
He'll be number 6 for sure. I'd rather him in 3 or 4
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The things that Cotric does well at fullback that are been considered "basics" and easy to find arent actually basic or commonly done so consistently well. That view reflects the major issue with the squad.

Lets not exagerate most fulbacks ball playing either. It's one sweep play Cotric has to learn to have most covered.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 5, 2018, 8:42 pm Yeah he did, under **** coaching. That's what im saying though
He came on to the scene and couldnt ball play for ****, but even with terrible coaching, he figured it out. No reason Nick Cotric cant.
And if we had the **** good graces to turf this idiot of a coach and get someone who knew what he was doing, we could accelerate that.

Right now Cotric IS better suited elsewhere, but we should be playing the long game with him.
Cotric knows how to pass a football. He can pass.
Playing this fullback role of today is all about being able to read defences and know the right play and make it. There absolutely no reason for me to believe Nick Cotric cant do that. He has the skills, he understands football on a higher level than most, he just needs work on that part of his game... which wont happen if he's pigeonholed as a winger.

Wighton is actually another good example. Dreadful ball player, who has not graduated to pretty good with time and development. All under sub par coaching.
Where do we see Cotric in 2025? Is it fullback? If so, get him there now and let him start developing those skills. Is it centre? Then get him there.

I dont think it should be wing, though i appreciate that he could play wing for 10 years and be one of the best in the world for all 10 of those years
You might be right.
I still believe that he is a centre, now and long term. I also believe that he would be World Class sooner rather than later
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Keghead wrote: August 5, 2018, 6:59 pm
gergreg wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 5, 2018, 4:04 pm
Captain Punish wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Is it usually made public?
It's a normal practice to apply for it to be suppressed as it does go against the person for a very long time, but a lot of the time they get leaked prior to the order being formalised. In this case it will no doubt be leaked after the final hearing.

So why are people outraged that an application was made to have it suppressed?
The club suppressed it, then when the NRL slapped 10 weeks on Wighton the club said it wasn't that bad and then said the courts had suppressed it. Make no mistake, if the footage wasn't that bad then the club wouldn't have suppressed it, but if it's not that bad as the club claim he wouldn't have plead guilty.
The club never suppressed the footage but don’t let the truth spoil your story

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You honestly think the club had no say in Wighton's choice of legal representation? It is in the clubs best interests for the CCTV footage being suppressed as much as Wighton's interests.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

If we gave Cotric the same amount of time (6 seasons) as we gave Nuff Wighton to see if he could become a fullback, Cotric will be a far superior fullback. Jack is naff.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

At 19 I'm pretty sure he was doing rehab on his knee.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

To me Cotric isn’t a FB and that’s more to do with not possessing that electric speed and agility that you see from a Slater, Dufty, Tedesco and Holmes.

The other concern is that he could keep filling out and any extra size would be detrimental.

He is also one of the smartest defensive wingers in the game, he always seems to make the right call to come in off his wing or stay.

By moving him to FB you take this away and is reminiscent of moving Wighton who has some of the best front on defence in the game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 5, 2018, 9:25 pm
At 19 I'm pretty sure he was doing rehab on his knee.
So you agree, **** couldnt ball play at 19!
**** he could barely run!

Thanks NR. Appreciate your support
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Damoni wrote:To me Cotric isn’t a FB and that’s more to do with not possessing that electric speed and agility that you see from a Slater, Dufty, Tedesco and Holmes.

The other concern is that he could keep filling out and any extra size would be detrimental.

He is also one of the smartest defensive wingers in the game, he always seems to make the right call to come in off his wing or stay.

By moving him to FB you take this away and is reminiscent of moving Wighton who has some of the best front on defence in the game.
That amazing speed eh..

Like Schifcofske.. Ahhh... Yes.. That blinding speed..