NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by Lucy »

Wighton has been at fullback for over 5 season and is still far from a decent, consistent fullback. Cotric has had one game.

I would love the club to sack him post sentencing because as far as fullbacks go, he can run out in another jumper next season and be someone else's mental midget and defensive liability.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Pigman wrote:
papabear wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:22 am Am I the only one who thinks we should use this as an opportunity to can a crappy contract and use the salary cap space more productively.

Especially with citric available and abbey as a back up.
Nope. A few of us are in this boat
What he did was worthy of being sacked, and it would certainly help us rectify some other issues in the squad

Cotric with raps and oldfield on the wings is a-ok with me
Exactly.

Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

New signingImage
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yep I would be happy to move Jack on. Plenty of options available to us there at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Should have been sacked. Sadly Raiders moral crusade is no more
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manchild wrote:New signingImage
Anyone seen this guy getting around in the Canberra Raiders Cup? Can he play?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Captain Punish wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:04 am Wighton has been at fullback for over 5 season and is still far from a decent, consistent fullback. Cotric has had one game.

I would love the club to sack him post sentencing because as far as fullbacks go, he can run out in another jumper next season and be someone else's mental midget and defensive liability.

Why are you so consistently a horrible person on this forum?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’ve not seen him but I’ve heard he’s a very willing defender
Doesn’t mind hitting a bloke
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

sprintman wrote:Should have been sacked. Sadly Raiders moral crusade is no more

Players don’t get sacked from an NRL team on moral grounds. They get sacked when they **** up and the club are happy to move them on. A good club will media spin it in their favour.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:I’ve not seen him but I’ve heard he’s a very willing defender
Doesn’t mind hitting a bloke
I've heard that he's big hits lack impact
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:04 am Wighton has been at fullback for over 5 season and is still far from a decent, consistent fullback. Cotric has had one game.

I'll give you the tip, it's not just on this forum!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Worst thread ever

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How quickly everyone forgets classics like the Gay marriage thread...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:How quickly everyone forgets classics like the Gay marriage thread...
That's the worst thread ever and will never be beaten
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

I'll give you the tip, it's not just on this forum!
is 4th season over 5 seasons?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton paying for NRL's handling of Matt Lodge case: Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner

Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner has poured more fuel on the Jack Wighton-suspension fire, claiming they're paying for the NRL's and Brisbane Broncos' mishandling of Matt Lodge.

"The NRL were embarrassed by their and Broncos' handling of the Matt Lodge incident and it appears Jack has paid a higher price for that," he said on Sunday. But the NRL denied Furner's comments and said every incident was judged on a case-by-case basis.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zri9.html
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Someone tell Don to pull his head in. Picking the wrong fight

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd say the NRL's decision has to do with the Raiders changing their approach to dealing with player misbehaviour... not taking the matter seriously enough... and not agreeing an appropriate penalty with the NRL before going out and announcing one. I do not understand why the Raiders are taking this approach. The penalty they proposed was too light, the NRL appropriately reined them in and over-ruled their decision. And, to be honest, we're lucky it wasn't worse.

I don't understand why they are claiming there are inconsistencies either. It was pointed out on the Sunday Footy Show today that Mitchell Pearce got 8 weeks and $125,000 fine for an incident where he was not found guilty of a crime. And they agreed Lodge's crime was far, far, far worse... but he didn't play NRL for two or three years.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Shut up Don
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Yes, Don. Jack is the innocent one here. He is the poor victim in all of this.

What an embarrassment this club has become. On and off the field. An absolute shambles coached by dribbling, out of touch idiots, run by dribbling, out of touch idiots, managed by dribbling, out of touch idiots.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Shut up Lucy
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It's a very strange strategy from the club but a lot of what they do makes no sense
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Manchild wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:50 am New signingImage
I have heard that no matter what happens, he gets paid each week
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Manchild wrote:New signingImage
Didn’t fool me one bit!!!!

I could tell it was Junior Paulo in headgear straight away.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd say the club has lost the plot, but I think it's more likely they are following some bizzare plot they have made up on their own.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I support the club with this. I say good on them. In my opinion the people on here who are calling for the club to sack Jack would be the first to blow up royal when the NRL re registered him with another club following a period of exile and a slew of 'changed man' 'I've learned my lesson' garbage news article in the Tele.
He would then carve up, carve us up, and it would be déjà vu for us whilst we all sit around bemoaning the situation and waxing lyrical about how he shouldn't have been re registered. Once (or several in our case) bitten, twice shy.
Clearly he has screwed up; clearly he is paying a penalty both professionally and legally and clearly he will make some type of approach to his victims (if he hasn't already) through a restorative process.
He is a young bloke, on the drink and he made really poor choices. Happens every weekend across the country. I'll save my judgement for how he responds. If he learns his lesson ala the Punter Ponting's of the world then that's all you can ask. If he doesn't, well he can face further consequences and deservedly so.But good on Dr Hawke et al for once for 1. Putting the club's interest first (they are the board tasked with this after all) 2. Standing up to the inconsistent and canberra-dismissive NRL who have little to no care for the raiders and their supporters and who have treated this club with borderline contempt for as long as I can remember.
6 weeks; 30k; undoubtedly a truckload of comm service and who knows what else from the court sounds more than fair to me.
I feel for the blokes who copped a belting but another four games on the sidelines is doing nothing for them. Let them see justice in the courts like all citizens have to.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Manchild wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:50 am New signingImage
"Win or lose I still get paid....... twice"

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Tim Gavel

@TimGavel
2h2 hours ago
More
Raiders CEO Don Furner re Jack Wighton says Jack has paid the price following the fall out from the Broncos and the NRL’s handling of the Matt Lodge incident . Don Furner says he is happy to go on record with that assertion.
I've defended Don a lot in the past but seriously What on Earth is going on here????

Can we please just STFU and accept the decision? None of this is going to make it better.

Was our PR strategy cooked up at 130 AM after drinks at the QBN leagues club??
Last edited by Schifty on July 15, 2018, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Jesus rothfield dribbles some ****, who cares if wighton is getting paid whilst suspended....hes on a contract...numpty

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Old School Green wrote: July 15, 2018, 9:01 pm I support the club with this. I say good on them. In my opinion the people on here who are calling for the club to sack Jack would be the first to blow up royal when the NRL re registered him with another club following a period of exile and a slew of 'changed man' 'I've learned my lesson' garbage news article in the Tele.
He would then carve up, carve us up, and it would be déjà vu for us whilst we all sit around bemoaning the situation and waxing lyrical about how he shouldn't have been re registered. Once (or several in our case) bitten, twice shy.
Clearly he has screwed up; clearly he is paying a penalty both professionally and legally and clearly he will make some type of approach to his victims (if he hasn't already) through a restorative process.
He is a young bloke, on the drink and he made really poor choices. Happens every weekend across the country. I'll save my judgement for how he responds. If he learns his lesson ala the Punter Ponting's of the world then that's all you can ask. If he doesn't, well he can face further consequences and deservedly so.But good on Dr Hawke et al for once for 1. Putting the club's interest first (they are the board tasked with this after all) 2. Standing up to the inconsistent and canberra-dismissive NRL who have little to no care for the raiders and their supporters and who have treated this club with borderline contempt for as long as I can remember.
6 weeks; 30k; undoubtedly a truckload of comm service and who knows what else from the court sounds more than fair to me.
I feel for the blokes who copped a belting but another four games on the sidelines is doing nothing for them. Let them see justice in the courts like all citizens have to.
I’m certainly not calling for his sacking. The people who are... well they’re entitled to their opinion, but some of them are simply wanting to see him sacked as they either bizarrely dislike the player or dislike what he takes of the salary cap. At least one of them is extremely rude, hateful, and I’d rather walk over hot coals than read what he says on the forum. Sadly I have to as a moderator.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Old School Green wrote:I support the club with this. I say good on them. In my opinion the people on here who are calling for the club to sack Jack would be the first to blow up royal when the NRL re registered him with another club following a period of exile and a slew of 'changed man' 'I've learned my lesson' garbage news article in the Tele.
Nope. I'm 100% in the "Jack can line up for anyone other than us and I'll be over the moon" corner.

Jack is a spud. Both on and off the field. Your assumption that we are all mindless fools who cry about the hardship faced by the club is somewhat naive. Most of us know the strict line taken by the club in the past, and that has always been something of a unicorn in regards to respecting club management, there is not much to respect. But now they have gone and put their eggs in the defend Jack basket and lost all credibility.

Deadset, the sooner this club is relocated, the sooner I can quit following rugby league at all levels (The Raiders are literally the only game I watch now) and put all my attention into amazingly run sports, not some back of bourke, country bumpkin, spud league like the NRL.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Awww.. GE was talking about me up there.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

VictorTheViking wrote: July 15, 2018, 9:33 pm Jesus rothfield dribbles some ****, who cares if wighton is getting paid whilst suspended....hes on a contract...numpty

The guy has no idea, he’s saying wighton will take home 250k while suspended, if he earns 250k every 10 weeks then that makes him the highest paid player in the game. Muppet
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No wonder our cap is **** if we're paying him 1.3mil a season
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: July 15, 2018, 6:52 pm Someone tell Don to pull his head in. Picking the wrong fight
Yep, not going to win this one. Unless there’s some ulterior motive I’m very disappointed the club is making these kinds of noises.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.