NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by Lui_Bon »

Lui_Bon wrote: November 14, 2018, 7:39 pm EDIT

I think maybe that's a bit harsh. If I were to edit your post (I mean moderate, not EDIT) perhaps one could say:

EDIT

Or are you of a more punitive frame of mind?
hahaha fair enough, given the context, sorry. I'm more worried about these people who are somehow scoring ROLLS with their sausage... I mean, what kind of uppercrusty paradise gives those babies out for 2 fifty?
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I have seen three of the "Immortals" do far, far worse assaults and face zero consequences. I know times are different now, and behavioural expectations of players are markedly more stringent, but one of the reporters who so over egged the charges against Wighton was exulting about the abiliyt of one of the "Immortals" to mete out severe punishment against some random victim at an NRL function after party. The "Immortal" was by then in his late 50s or 60s, a fact the reporter was impressed by.

Jack has done his crime, he has been given his time, he now needs to keep his nose clean and we need to move on. That is the way the justice system needs to work, not a perpetual punishment regime.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yeah I’m in the school of ‘you see similar events at a Queanbeyan pub each weekend’ within anyone getting charged.

I do think the police and the courts need to up the ante to deal with inebriated idiots like Wighton, but that’s a separate issue.

I think some of the NRL players who have pleaded guilty to assaulting their partner, have suffered much smaller suspensions from the NRL.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Greenberg was right, the NRL punishment was far heavier than the ACT Justice system.

I have to say, I fail to see how the ACT Justice system penalty could in anyway be considered a deterrent to others. I think the penalty is light, (a Clayton's penalty really) but now the decision is made, it's time to move on. Jacky boi, would be a Happy boi, with that outcome.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I just saw the footage. Disgusting. Is he wearing 3/4 pants? Who wears those?
3/4 pants + Cruisers = Not the kind of guy I want in my club

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 15, 2018, 6:14 am I just saw the footage. Disgusting. Is he wearing 3/4 pants? Who wears those?

Yea I understand Jack has served his punishment for the assaults but he really should serve at least another 10 games suspension for those pants, Its one of the more serious fashion crimes I've seen
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

kiwi raider wrote: November 15, 2018, 7:00 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 15, 2018, 6:14 am I just saw the footage. Disgusting. Is he wearing 3/4 pants? Who wears those?

Yea I understand Jack has served his punishment for the assaults but he really should serve at least another 10 games suspension for those pants, Its one of the more serious fashion crimes I've seen
NRL Integrity Unit releasing a statement today. Its not a good look for the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

kiwi raider wrote:

Exactly, going out rocking exposed ankles and short pant legs are probably the biggest issues not being discussed.
We have to set a higher standard than this. What’s next? Bin Tang singlet?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

His pants are in no man’s land.....too short for pants, too long for shorts.

Maybe the pants are just symbolic of his thinking at the time, he was confused.

If only the CCTV footage was released earlier, I for one wouldn’t have been so hard on him.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 14, 2018, 8:51 pm I have seen three of the "Immortals" do far, far worse assaults and face zero consequences. I know times are different now, and behavioural expectations of players are markedly more stringent, but one of the reporters who so over egged the charges against Wighton was exulting about the abiliyt of one of the "Immortals" to mete out severe punishment against some random victim at an NRL function after party. The "Immortal" was by then in his late 50s or 60s, a fact the reporter was impressed by.

Jack has done his crime, he has been given his time, he now needs to keep his nose clean and we need to move on. That is the way the justice system needs to work, not a perpetual punishment regime.
Bingo COM. He'd do well to stay away from alcohol too.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: November 15, 2018, 10:06 am
Cranky Old Man wrote: November 14, 2018, 8:51 pm I have seen three of the "Immortals" do far, far worse assaults and face zero consequences. I know times are different now, and behavioural expectations of players are markedly more stringent, but one of the reporters who so over egged the charges against Wighton was exulting about the abiliyt of one of the "Immortals" to mete out severe punishment against some random victim at an NRL function after party. The "Immortal" was by then in his late 50s or 60s, a fact the reporter was impressed by.

Hahahahahaha that's one of the greatest play on words I've ever seen on this forum.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Oof

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: November 15, 2018, 10:12 am
Woodgers wrote: November 15, 2018, 10:06 am

Hahahahahaha that's one of the greatest play on words I've ever seen on this forum.
Yes, must pay that the respect it's due. :clap:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What's wrong with 3/4 pants ?

A polo shirt with a woollen pullover draped over the shoulders in tied in front..

Plus yacht shoes..

It's super smoooooooth.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2018, 8:24 pm
Choc Magic wrote: November 14, 2018, 8:23 pm Meh... I'm more concerned about onions being put under the sausage at bunnings. Both top news stories for the day and both media beat ups.
I think you are underestimating how important it is that onions AND sauce go under the sausage.
What's stopping me from turning my snag sanga over and spilling onion in the aisle anyways....

Nothing..
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

G'day Nickman, you are a sharp one! Good to see you back in action.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

nacho wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:50 pm
gergreg wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:48 pm Begs the question really. Why would you want that footage suppressed?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Well, objectively, he kinda did piss all over himself...and earns more than our CEO.
:roflmao

Yeah, that's an excellent observation.

Anyway, the footage wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but he does like to lead with a headbutt does Jack.

Provoked or not, it was pretty dumb behaviour at the end of the day.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

I knew this **** and drunken rampage would blow over within 24 hours, people have moved on to new things to get outraged about... like bunnings sausages 🤣🙃
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 15, 2018, 5:33 pm G'day Nickman, you are a sharp one! Good to see you back in action.
Hi Cranky, good to see you too. Hope you're well, mate.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 16, 2018, 8:42 am I knew this **** and drunken rampage would blow over within 24 hours, people have moved on to new things to get outraged about... like bunnings sausages 🤣🙃
Good thing too. Pretty embarrassing having footage of yourself getting your head smacked in by a 14 year kid in Civic.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Was that it? Christ. I deplore violence, but the histrionics over this is impressive. I'd wager we've all seen far, far worse on a night out in Civic. The NRLs punishment was fair and adequate. It's time to move on.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

So, apparently Knights are interested in Wighton

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... ahgrtu1fp5

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 1, 2018, 10:08 pm So, apparently Knights are interested in Wighton

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... ahgrtu1fp5

No they're not.

https://twitter.com/BarryToohey/status/ ... 9889581056

You can almost always disregard rumours on Sporting News.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

More disappointing than the Johnson rumours being untrue
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

If Jack could clean up the streets of Newcastle that would be great...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Jack’s manager needs to spend more time and effort counselling his client, not spruking new deals to dodgy journalists.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wighton to Knights.
Ponga to Raiders.
Make it happen.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

No way any other club is taking that albatross of a contract off our hands.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by LastRaider »

If only we could unload Wighton that easily. $700k+ to shop for a half is exactly what we need to start, plus Rapana injury exemption funds of $350k, we would finally have the $1m kitty to get a half!!!!

Come on Raiders release Wighton and let Wighton go up the Hume to Newy!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:11 am If only we could unload Wighton that easily. $700k+ to shop for a half is exactly what we need to start, plus Rapana injury exemption funds of $350k, we would finally have the $1m kitty to get a half!!!!

Come on Raiders release Wighton and let Wighton go up the Hume to Newy!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
You do realise any cap relief for Rapana is to sign another winger and it's only for the current season. $350k is the maximum too and based on the injured players salary. Won't get all that for Rapana. Maybe $150k-$200k.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Jack Wighton was arguably our best back last season. Until his off field shenanigans caught up with him that is.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Have we ever seen an incident that resulted in a 10 match nrl ban fizzle out so quickly?
Dont delete this GE
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

No, and it’ll be interesting how other off field incidents will be measured against this one. I agree with what the Raiders put forward, 6 matches seemed fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

El_Capitano wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:27 am No, and it’ll be interesting how other off field incidents will be measured against this one. I agree with what the Raiders put forward, 6 matches seemed fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So do you agree that Mitchell Pearce deserved ten weeks when he did essentially nothing wrong?? He certainly didn't break any laws.