NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by JezTez1984 »

CJ42 wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:17 pm Also, knowing the characters from the main clip, it was definitely provoked.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yep, no other reason wighton would suddenly go over to them.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

CJ42 wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:17 pm Also, knowing the characters from the main clip, it was definitely provoked.

Tell us more CJ
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

This is the most exciting thing that has happened to me today.

Goss a brother up!
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Enjoy these quotes from Greenberg. He labels Jack's game of push and shove "disgraceful" but has no problem with people like matt lodge 🤣🤣🤣. You are everything that is wrong with the nrl mr Greenberg. Dead set flog that takes every possible opportunity to shoot down the raiders. How about applauding the raiders for all of the exceptional work they do off the field? Oh wait that just goes unnoticed.

"Disgraceful – (there is) no other word for it," Greenberg said when asked his opinion of Wighton’s behaviour that night.

"I saw that vision four or five months ago and that’s why I made the decision I did at the time.

"It’s very rare we come in over the top of a club on a disciplinary matter but we did on this occasion.

"I saw the vision you’ve seen today which is why we did and said what we did at the time."
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There is no physical provocation by anyone Jack Wighton attacked

I don’t really care what someone might have or have not said to him. Firstly we’ll never know what was said and secondly and most importantly, nothing said can justify that
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Begs the question really. Why would you want that footage suppressed?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

gergreg wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:48 pm Begs the question really. Why would you want that footage suppressed?

Well, objectively, he kinda did piss all over himself...and earns more than our CEO.
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Geez I thought the footage was going to be a lot worse than that. Weren't two of these people hospitalized? I was imagining him running around decking blokes and stomping heads based on the NRL's reaction.

Yes Jack is an immature idiot, needs to grow up fast and it deserved 10 weeks, but I feel like this whole thing was blown up to be way more that it really was.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Lol nothing in it...carry on
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Pigman wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:43 pm There is no physical provocation by anyone Jack Wighton attacked

I don’t really care what someone might have or have not said to him. Firstly we’ll never know what was said and secondly and most importantly, nothing said can justify that
Right that's Bull but anyway.. how do you know this bunch of flogs didnt do the same thing to him earlier in the night in a place where there were no cameras/evidence??
Regardless, do you know how many people get into a bit of push and shove every single day in the world? You would literally see worse than this in a **** primary school playground.

Dont have a heart attack next time you see a video clip of someone getting pushed champion.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: CEO Todd Greenberg satisfied with NRL's handling of Jack Wighton incident

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg says he’s comfortable with the game’s punishment handed down to Jack Wighton in July, after the Raiders fullback was given a two-month suspended jail sentence and $3500 fine.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/gre ... f-wighton/

Wighton handed suspended sentence over assault charges: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/jac ... t-charges/
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

gergreg wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:48 pm Begs the question really. Why would you want that footage suppressed?

Gee I dont know maybe because he has a life and a family :? :hmmm
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Probably because he has young kids and it will be on the internet forever.
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

Put me down for footage wasn’t as bad as anticipated

BUT

his recent social media suggests he has no want or desire to rectify his problematic drinking and for that alone I’d cut him. What would be a huge wake up call for most does not seem to have happened for Jack. For what it’s worth I think he is a reasonable fullback but not good enough to justify the potential culture issues.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bigcheese wrote:As most of you have said, it's not as bad as we all thought but I'd still like to see him sacked. I'd rather come last each year with a bunch of good blokes who try their hardest each week and have time for the supporters rather than support a team with bell ends like Jack in it!! We were pretty close to last anyway!!

The guy is just a bully, a bully who would've been belted if he picked on anyone who knew how to throw a punch or kick!!

It's going to be hard cheering the team on this year with him in it..
It's very lucky Jack didn't cross your path, old mate Image

Good to see the BIGCHEESE still around

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No more sanctions for Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton: NRL

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has labelled footage of Canberra player Jack Wighton assaulting random men as "disgraceful".

"He received a fine from the game, which was effectively ten times what he got in the court of law," Greenberg said. "And he didn't play again in the entire 2018 season, so I think his punishment's served. I saw that vision four-to-five months ago, which is why I made the decision that I did at the time. It's very rare that we come in over the top of a club on a disciplinary matter, but we did on this occasion and I'm satisfied we made the right decision there."

Read more: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/no-more-san ... ighton-nrl
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Raymond Der wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:01 pm Put me down for footage wasn’t as bad as anticipated

BUT

his recent social media suggests he has no want or desire to rectify his problematic drinking and for that alone I’d cut him. What would be a huge wake up call for most does not seem to have happened for Jack. For what it’s worth I think he is a reasonable fullback but not good enough to justify the potential culture issues.
What exactly has been on his social media??? Genuinely curious not having a dig. Judging by what someone said the other day sounded like he was just having a few beers and trying to have a good night in a dark time. Hardly a crime. Give the kid a break.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:18 pm
The Nickman wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:58 pm
JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:55 pm Holy **** what a **** circus and huge, huge overreaction this whole " drunken rampage" is. The deadline "drunken rampage" is comical in itself. Some of the so called " Canberra raiders fans" on here are so **** bone headed. The fans of OTHER CLUBS are laughing about how blown out of proportion this whole thing is and I quote " that is not a drunken rampage, I've seen harder slaps at the local pub"

For 90% of that footage jack is doing absolutely nothing besides standing there and occasionally pushing someone, did he even get a punch in at all???

What a **** joke :roflmao no wonder the raiders were blowing up about the extra 4 weeks.
Do you reckon Mitchell Pearce deserved 10 weeks for his "incident"??
Honestly what Pearce did was much more sickening than what wighton has done here. Pushing a few blokes around compared to constantly humping and saying " I'm going to **** your dog" and seeming fully serious about it. The sick ****.
Hahahaha righto, Mrs Wighton.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It's not that bad. There isn't going to be any significant blow back on the NRL.

The footage is embarrassing but you'd have to be pretty precious to maintain the outrage into 2019.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:12 pm
Raymond Der wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:01 pm Put me down for footage wasn’t as bad as anticipated

BUT

What exactly has been on his social media??? Genuinely curious not having a dig. Judging by what someone said the other day sounded like he was just having a few beers and trying to have a good night in a dark time. Hardly a crime. Give the kid a break.
Isn't there an app you can get so you can monitor your son's phone? It shouldn't be up to us to tell you!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:53 pm
Pigman wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:43 pm There is no physical provocation by anyone Jack Wighton attacked

Right that's Bull but anyway.. how do you know this bunch of flogs didnt do the same thing to him earlier in the night in a place where there were no cameras/evidence??
Regardless, do you know how many people get into a bit of push and shove every single day in the world? You would literally see worse than this in a **** primary school playground.

Dont have a heart attack next time you see a video clip of someone getting pushed champion.
Listen “champion”, firstly it’s not Bull, it’s being an adult, if you want to set an example to your kids that **** talking is justification for assault, best of luck to you and yours in your life dealing with the criminal system but that’s not how any responsible parent would raise their children

Secondly, it’s not a push and shove, it’s multiple punches thrown to multiple victims without any physical provocation, if Wighton wasn’t such useless prick he could have serious hurt someone, as it turns out the flog was lucky things calm down with that kid, because big man Jack got **** owned in a fight he started by a dude half his size

Thirdly, I think it speaks volumes of you if you think this kind of behaviour is acceptable for primary school kids much less adults.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Before I comment any further can you please explain what this says/means and then can you translate it EDIT to English for me?? That would be absolutely brilliant if you could do that at your earliest convenience so we can move onto the next major flaws of your response...

"Secondly, it’s not a push and shove, it’s multiple punches thrown to multiple victims without any physical provocation, if Wighton wasn’t such useless prick he could have serious hurt someone, as it turns out the flog was lucky things calm down with that kid, because big man Jack got **** owned in a fight he started by a dude half his size"
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

BUT

He has since deleted it from his Instagram but it still available on Reddit. Certainly indicates a pattern of behaviour greater than “a few beers” on one occasion.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Raymond Der wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:27 pm

BUT

He has since deleted it from his Instagram but it still available on Reddit. Certainly indicates a pattern of behaviour greater than “a few beers” on one occasion.
And yet you can't say what you saw?
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I honestly cannot believe so many of you are endorsing this behaviours what a dead set scumbag.

That type of behaviour makes me sick and is totally unacceptable. I hope pressure from the public builds and he gets a kick on the ass on his way out the door.

The man should be treated like the thug he is and his contract should be terminated.

We should expect better than this as a club. I expect more as a fan
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:

Probably because he has young kids and it will be on the internet forever.
As will the court documents. As many have noted the court documents, accusations and the admission of guilt- if taken in isolation paint a different picture to the footage. Not excusing his behaviour btw.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

BUT

Admin asked me to remove posts in the past with content and I’ll respect that. Are you not near a device where a basic web search is accessible?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

BUT

If you want to find it you can. We won't be putting it up here.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Fair enough :)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

jozzas wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:51 pm Geez I thought the footage was going to be a lot worse than that. Weren't two of these people hospitalized? I was imagining him running around decking blokes and stomping heads based on the NRL's reaction.

Yes Jack is an immature idiot, needs to grow up fast and it deserved 10 weeks, but I feel like this whole thing was blown up to be way more that it really was.
The joke is on us really. Paying top dollar to a bloke who acts like a 4 year old.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

KingDynamite wrote: November 14, 2018, 4:33 pm I honestly cannot believe so many of you are endorsing this behaviours what a dead set scumbag.

That type of behaviour makes me sick and is totally unacceptable. I hope pressure from the public builds and he gets a kick on the ass on his way out the door.

The man should be treated like the thug he is and his contract should be terminated.

We should expect better than this as a club. I expect more as a fan
x2
WorkChoice
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I still can’t believe there are references on here to him as ‘kid’ and ‘boy’.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I don’t condone what Jack did but I also think he has certainly served his punishment. Nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be in my opinion

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Still waiting to see him bash someone as was alluded to by media reports

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Makaveli wrote: November 14, 2018, 5:00 pm Still waiting to see him bash someone as was alluded to by media reports

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Haha yeah, what an absolute beat-up by the media and Lucy.