NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by LP Raider »

Disgusting behaviour, this just lessens my enjoyment for the Raiders even further.
WorkChoice
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Relax-init wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:25 pm My issue is that the sentence is so bloody weak. Imagine if any of us, a 'Joe Bloggs' if you will, did this out in town and was charged. At best you would get a minimum two years suspended sentence and probably 8 months in jail for a first offence. Enjoying the luxury of life in a 2x2 concrete cell being pounded by 'Big Red' and crying yourself to sleep. The sentence was a complete joke and an insult to the guys assaulted and for anyone who has been assaulted like this.

Then you have the instagram post this week by his wife showing him wasted and raging about the case and calling names... I mean this guy needs to be off the drink and in rehab if not jail.

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff
I don't think that's right at all. Joe Blogs does that every weekend and doesn't even get charged.

Even if he did get charged he isn't going to jail for a first offence, even if the damage was much worse. Only a small percent go to jail for those charges at all and I guarantee they were nearly all repeat offenders
Last edited by edwahu on November 14, 2018, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Interesting to note as well that he's been paying off the $30,000 fine off in installments. The **** earns $28,000 a fortnight, surely it wouldn't be too hard to pay that much quicker?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Relax-init wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:25 pm My issue is that the sentence is so bloody weak. Imagine if any of us, a 'Joe Bloggs' if you will, did this out in town and was charged. At best you would get a minimum two years suspended sentence and probably 8 months in jail for a first offence. Enjoying the luxury of life in a 2x2 concrete cell being pounded by 'Big Red' and crying yourself to sleep. The sentence was a complete joke and an insult to the guys assaulted and for anyone who has been assaulted like this.

Then you have the instagram post this week by his wife showing him wasted and raging about the case and calling names... I mean this guy needs to be off the drink and in rehab if not jail.

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff
Will be interesting to see what his "Joe Bloggs" mate next to him in the footage got.

If I was charged with this as a first offence I'd be expecting a fine and a good behavior bond.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:00 pm Who were the people who claimed to have seen the footage full of coward punches and haymakers? Maybe they watched a Jason Bourne clip by mistake.

That was just some slow motion fighting and pushing from a Very drunk individual.

Half a season is a big suspension, so I expected much much worse than what I just saw.

He definitely deserved some solid punishment for fighting innocent people, but it wasn’t like the victims were trying to move away. If they were really scared for their safety they could have walked away pretty easily, not hung around talking.

I’m surprised that people feel more outraged after seeing the footage, than after hearing the initial reports. I’m the opposite myself.
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about this whole thing, to be perfectly honest. Very, very surprised this went to court, to be perfectly honest.

Just on the 10 weeks suspension though, let's just remember Mitchell Pearce copped 10 weeks for doing genuinely nothing wrong, didn't even got to court for it. If that was 10 weeks, I still ascertain that Jack was very lucky to get only 10.
Last edited by The Nickman on November 14, 2018, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:42 pm

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff
I don't think that's right at all. Joe Blogs does that every weekend and doesn't even get charged.

Even if he did get charged he isn't going to jail for a first offence, even if the damage was much worse. Only a small percent go to jail for those charges at all and I guarantee they were nearly all repeat offenders
The only reason joe blogs wouldn’t be charged for this is because in most cases the police can’t get a positive ID.
If you’re out drunk and do this to random people in civic, who don’t know you, who are the police going to charge?

Even if the police have footage, unless you’re known to them or they get a bite on one of those “do you know this person” social media deals, what can be done?

Hell if the victims don’t know you, what are they going to tell the police in filed complaint?

“Some random guy, I dunno who, but he belted me. He looked tallish-short, wore a shirt and pants. I’d like him charged”

That’s not a problem when the accused is a well known footballer and the victim can say “Jack Wighton, the raiders player, just assaulted me” and then you get positive CCTV footage...

Anyone that can be positively id, with that CCTV footage is getting charged

Anyone committing these acts and

But jail time was never going to be on the cards. Whether it should be is a different discussion, but it’s just not how the courts rule this stuff
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Anyway, this was fun lads. I'll be back when Jack does something stupid next, or we lose to the Titans in Round 1 next year. Catch.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

As most of you have said, it's not as bad as we all thought but I'd still like to see him sacked. I'd rather come last each year with a bunch of good blokes who try their hardest each week and have time for the supporters rather than support a team with bell ends like Jack in it!! We were pretty close to last anyway!!

The guy is just a bully, a bully who would've been belted if he picked on anyone who knew how to throw a punch or kick!!

It's going to be hard cheering the team on this year with him in it..
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's about a 3 on the **** scale.

He's rambling around, sometimes being aggressive, sometimes breaking people up. He has no idea what he's doing (no excuse, just noticed). The other blokes hang round in similar fashion waiting to see if anything is really going to kick off. If they were really afraid or intimidated they'd clear off.

The earlier? Grainier one is more damning.

Actually not as bad as I was expecting. On with the season.

Oldfield to Rapana's wing. Try to pick up Johnson, Johnston or a solid outside back for Mounties.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Looks like the guy is brawling with a bunch of high school kids, well done to the skinny kid who had a crack at him :lol: :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bigcheese wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:02 pm As most of you have said, it's not as bad as we all thought but I'd still like to see him sacked. I'd rather come last each year with a bunch of good blokes who try their hardest each week and have time for the supporters rather than support a team with bell ends like Jack in it!! We were pretty close to last anyway!!

The guy is just a bully, a bully who would've been belted if he picked on anyone who knew how to throw a punch or kick!!

What would you have done if Jack fronted up to you like that?
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

zim wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:47 pm

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff
Will be interesting to see what his "Joe Bloggs" mate next to him in the footage got.

If I was charged with this as a first offence I'd be expecting a fine and a good behavior bond.
The new 'one punch/coward punch' laws are much harder and numerous blokes have been put in jail for 3-8 months for first offences already this year. Hence why Joe Bloggs would get some jail time, probably lose his job whatever it is - if in Canberra probably a govt employee and get a fine at least twice as much as this bloke copped.

JackW was very lucky to keep his job (Joe wouldn't have), not go to jail (Joe would have), have a 2-3 year good behavious bond (Joe would have) rooted a leprechaun, shagged a unicorn of something to get this. That and it seems the courts love to protect sports personalities (even if their personalities are atrocious)

I do hope the victims sue the p!ss out of him now as it has been settled that he is guilty.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Pigman wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:09 pm
Bigcheese wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:02 pm As most of you have said, it's not as bad as we all thought but I'd still like to see him sacked. I'd rather come last each year with a bunch of good blokes who try their hardest each week and have time for the supporters rather than support a team with bell ends like Jack in it!! We were pretty close to last anyway!!

What would you have done if Jack fronted up to you like that?
Depends on who I was with at the time but If he didn't hurt me I'd probably just block him and walk away! My hot head days are over Pig :D . With his arms down low and leading with his head, he was wide open though!
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Also, quote from this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-14/ ... t/10495980

"My partner, she has to look after two little girls … it's been breaking her down a little bit," he said.

"I was in the wrong to a degree that night and I fully accept that."

Two questions:

1 - Jack seemed reallllllllllllllly worried about how broken down his partner has been on instagram.

and
2 - To what degree does Jack think he was not in the wrong?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I already covered this ground pages ago...
Woodgers wrote: October 11, 2018, 12:04 pm You take the good with the bad. Jack can be unhappy that the footage won't be suppressed, or grateful that he didn't bump into BigCheese that night.

It's up to him whether the glass if half full or empty.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Relax-init wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:13 pm

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff

The new 'one punch/coward punch' laws are much harder and numerous blokes have been put in jail for 3-8 months for first offences already this year. Hence why Joe Bloggs would get some jail time, probably lose his job whatever it is - if in Canberra probably a govt employee and get a fine at least twice as much as this bloke copped.

JackW was very lucky to keep his job (Joe wouldn't have), not go to jail (Joe would have), have a 2-3 year good behavious bond (Joe would have) rooted a leprechaun, shagged a unicorn of something to get this. That and it seems the courts love to protect sports personalities (even if their personalities are atrocious)

I do hope the victims sue the p!ss out of him now as it has been settled that he is guilty.
There's not a single "'one punch/coward punch" in the video. Everyone walks away fine. This scenario is very different to your coward punch puts man in hospital problems in the news.
No way I'd be seeing jail time for a first offense like this, and I definitely wouldn't be losing my job.
Last edited by zim on November 14, 2018, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Timbo wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:20 pm Also, quote from this article:

"My partner, she has to look after two little girls … it's been breaking her down a little bit," he said.

Two questions:

1 - Jack seemed reallllllllllllllly worried about how broken down his partner has been on instagram.

and
Yeah, it's stuff like this that makes me angrier than the video itself. What a self-obsessed ****.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You're a very very lucky young man Mr Wighton.

The good judge sees promise in you as a father and husband.

You got off lightly pal..

Don't screw this up...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Holy **** what a **** circus and huge, huge overreaction this whole " drunken rampage" is. The deadline "drunken rampage" is comical in itself. Some of the so called " Canberra raiders fans" on here are so **** bone headed. The fans of OTHER CLUBS are laughing about how blown out of proportion this whole thing is and I quote " that is not a drunken rampage, I've seen harder slaps at the local pub"

For 90% of that footage jack is doing absolutely nothing besides standing there and occasionally pushing someone, did he even get a punch in at all???

What a **** joke :roflmao no wonder the raiders were blowing up about the extra 4 weeks.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff

That's an urban myth mate, my brother got coward punched while at work as a security guard and spent several weeks in hospital and suffered for months after financially and with depression, the guy was known to police as trouble and had been in court before yet only got 3months jail.

the courts would like you to think they were coming down hard but really won't unless the person dies, it's a joke.

this is really not even close to the same thing and shouldn't even be in the conversation really.

Jack is a **** for it but you can see he's not putting much in those punches, hopefully it's a good wake up call for him, he seems like he is usually a nice kid
raider 4 life
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

JezTez1984 wrote:Holy **** what a **** circus and huge, huge overreaction this whole " drunken rampage" is. The deadline "drunken rampage" is comical in itself. Some of the so called " Canberra raiders fans" on here are so **** bone headed. The fans of OTHER CLUBS are laughing about how blown out of proportion this whole thing is and I quote " that is not a drunken rampage, I've seen harder slaps at the local pub"

For 90% of that footage jack is doing absolutely nothing besides standing there and occasionally pushing someone, did he even get a punch in at all???

What a **** joke :roflmao no wonder the raiders were blowing up about the extra 4 weeks.
Calm down Mrs Wighton. Your son got off already.. It's all ok now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:55 pm Holy **** what a **** circus and huge, huge overreaction this whole " drunken rampage" is. The deadline "drunken rampage" is comical in itself. Some of the so called " Canberra raiders fans" on here are so **** bone headed. The fans of OTHER CLUBS are laughing about how blown out of proportion this whole thing is and I quote " that is not a drunken rampage, I've seen harder slaps at the local pub"

Do you reckon Mitchell Pearce deserved 10 weeks for his "incident"??
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Nickman wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Two questions:

and
Yeah, it's stuff like this that makes me angrier than the video itself. What a self-obsessed ****.
Don't be outraged Nickman, he's reading from a script probably drafted by the club's PR people to come out of it as cleanly as possible.

He'll say whatever he has to in order to come out of this smelling of roses without admitting he's wrong. Which I might add is a very effective posting style for football forums :lol:
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@BMcSport on Twitter

The @NRL have confirmed to @abccanberra there will be no further penalty imposed on Raiders fullback Jack Wighton, telling us:

“We believe 10 weeks and $30,000 fine was a strong and appropriate penalty. So that will be the final penalty from the NRL.”
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Is that IT? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing i saw in that footage, i dont see ANY time i go out.
"bashed 5 blokes'? LOL it was a fight, NOT a bashing.
I take it most of the "women" in this thread, namely "wayne", are actually moonlighting as Men.

Sentence was more than fair, as i hope the bloke who threw the first punch, copped the same thing.
Im just, bicking back being bool
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I like this Jizz84 guy...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

manbearpig wrote:Is that IT? Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I take it most of the "women" in this thread, namely "wayne", are actually moonlighting as Men.

Sentence was more than fair, as i hope the bloke who threw the first punch, copped the same thing.
Hahaha. Deluded Keyboard Warriors are the best.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Two questions:

and
He’s got some balls to try and garner sympathy by talking about the impact this has on his partner whilst he’s on IG flaunting about his absentee parenting
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Jesus **** Christ.
He deserved 10 games probably in the way other bans have been, 8 games for Pearce was too much (which was disgusting, he didn’t hurt a dog, he didn’t rape a dog, what he does wasn’t on, he was acting like a toss and said some off stuff)
But that video goes against everything I’ve heard from some on here and elsewhere, about unprovoked coward punches and a rampage, if police saw some random do all that stuff jack did, he’d get a night in lockup and that’s it.
Basically no one would press assault charges for that, his mate throwing a big punch maybe?
A headbutt was about the worst I saw there, the rest was little joking around jabs.

Did he deserve punishment from the nrl and the raiders? Yes.
I
Did this whole thing deserve to be dragged through court and labeled as a rampage? No **** way. But his court punishment was probably fair for what happened.
Did he act like a tool? Yes.
All of those blokes would have been absolutely knocked out if he wanted them to be. With one punch too probably, he can hit.
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Captain Punish wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:04 pm
manbearpig wrote:Is that IT? Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

You raved and raved how you have seen the footage early and was hell bent on telling anyone who'll listen, how horrible the footage was :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are not a man
Im just, bicking back being bool
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

manbearpig wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:04 pm

You raved and raved how you have seen the footage early and was hell bent on telling anyone who'll listen, how horrible the footage was Image Image Image
You are not a man
I never once saw the footage early. I was told he headbutted and hit unwilling participants by a friend who I assumed had seen it. In which Jack did. Please show me where I said I saw it early?

That's a little creative license on your part, pal.

Back to your finger painting, buddy xoxo

JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

manbearpig wrote: November 14, 2018, 3:01 pm Is that IT? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This x 100000.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Also, knowing the characters from the main clip, it was definitely provoked.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff

I don't think they have one punch laws in the ACT.

Check the stats, 25% of cases involving his most serious charge end in prison and most would be repeat offenders and/or did more damage.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

The Nickman wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:58 pm
JezTez1984 wrote: November 14, 2018, 2:55 pm Holy **** what a **** circus and huge, huge overreaction this whole " drunken rampage" is. The deadline "drunken rampage" is comical in itself. Some of the so called " Canberra raiders fans" on here are so **** bone headed. The fans of OTHER CLUBS are laughing about how blown out of proportion this whole thing is and I quote " that is not a drunken rampage, I've seen harder slaps at the local pub"

Do you reckon Mitchell Pearce deserved 10 weeks for his "incident"??
Honestly what Pearce did was much more sickening than what wighton has done here. Pushing a few blokes around compared to constantly humping and saying " I'm going to **** your dog" and seeming fully serious about it. The sick ****.