NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by BJ »

I’ve seen plenty worse than that in Civic go totally unpunished.

I saw some pretty serious fights after a PM11 game and Police just ignored it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I expected that to be much much much worse TBH.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:29 pm
Timbo wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:26 pm
Holy ****. That's worse than I thought it would be.

I am gobsmacked, and appalled, that the Raiders have decided to back him to the hilt. I really don't know if I can follow a club that has been so supportive of this. If my workplace condoned actions like that of its employees, I'd find another employer.

And before anyone calls me a **** fan, tells me to **** off and you don't need me anyway, the thing that I am just the most disgusted about is that they saw this footage, said 'this is our guy', and tried to sweep it under the rug with a Bull six week ban.

I just really don't know about this club anymore.
What did you expect to see? On the spectrum of possible assaults under the charges that's nowhere near as bad as it could be.
Honestly, I don't know.

I'm just beyond furious that these entitled douchebags do this stuff and it's swept under the carpet. You just watch - come February the Raiders will have Danny Weidler come to Canberra and there will be a special report on Nine News about Jack's close call and how he's learned and changed and blah blah **** blah.

Where is the accountability? And more importantly, why did we offer him unconditional support from the get go? He was clearly guilty, and there was an element of severity to it otherwise there wouldn't have been a suspended gaol term.

I said this about ten pages ago. Would we back Murchie like this? Or Hingano? Or Oldfield. No, we'd find the nearest door to shove them out of. But because he's Ricky's mate, this tool gets to keep his huge salary and unchallenged spot in the backline despite the fact he's one of the dumbest footballers, and apparently dumbest people, in the ACT.

The red mist has descended over me at the moment and I'm just illogically angry. I'm sure I'll calm down shortly.

But hey, at least I'm not attacking anyone in 'the heat of the moment'.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:36 pm You can put your flaming torches and pitchforks away now.
Don't tell me what to do!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, put me down for that being a lot tamer than I thought it would be too.

Shame the second half of the video is blurred out mainly and you can't tell what's going on.

Not sure I even saw a "coward punch"?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:34 pm Certainly Jack did not deserve jail time for that incident. It might have got a bit beyond push and shove we see in just about every NRL game, but barely. From here I hope Jack receives the help he needs to get his life on track off field, and comes back fit and ready to go in Round 1 2019.
Yep. Honestly I think a drinking ban would go a long way to getting him there.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Lol! Don’t get me wrong it’s crappy behaviour. But that’s not worth 10 games... definitely not worth sacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Certainly Jack did not deserve jail time for that incident. It might have got a bit beyond push and shove we see in just about every NRL game, but barely. From here I hope Jack receives the help he needs to get his life on track off field, and comes back fit and ready to go in Round 1 2019.
Are you taking the piss?
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Club has lost its way under Furner/Stuart ‘leadership’. Sad day
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:39 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:36 pm You can put your flaming torches and pitchforks away now.
Don't tell me what to do!
OK, carry on...

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

El_Capitano wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:44 pm Lol! Don’t get me wrong it’s crappy behaviour. But that’s not worth 10 games... definitely not worth sacking

Yeah, after watching it you can see how the raiders original proposal of 8 games was bang on, and the nrls addition of 4 games is perfectly in line with their average over reacting
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Surely part of the fine is because of those pants? Surely those pants are a crime against fashion?

The footage is exactly as I thought it would be - actually better picture quality - a drunken knob throwing his weight and fists around at people just minding their own business.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

simo wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:52 pm
El_Capitano wrote: November 14, 2018, 12:44 pm Lol! Don’t get me wrong it’s crappy behaviour. But that’s not worth 10 games... definitely not worth sacking

Yeah, after watching it you can see how the raiders original proposal of 8 games was bang on, and the nrls addition of 4 games is perfectly in line with their average over reacting
I think the 12 games is more on the mark. These are potential fans of the game approaching a player who then decides to get into an altercation with them. Of course we'll never know if there was any verbal provocation - but whether he likes it or not as a high profile NRL player he is an ambassador for the sport.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on November 14, 2018, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Can't wait until we get the whole "Thx every1 for there help over the last 12 months. Has been difficult for the family, but we're now looking forward to 2019. #**thehaters"
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the footage was as it was reported to be, a drunk fool punching a bunch of people with seemingly no provocation.
He was never getting jail time for this, you simply dont get jail time for assault unless it causes significant injury or death.

But im exactly where i was with this and the footage reaffirms my position, which is this:
Coastalraider wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:22 am As for Jack, I was in the 'sacking' camp when this initially came out - not because I thought it was so appalling he should never play again, but because it was smart cap management to be presentd with the opportunity to fix our overspending based on predicted cap in 2017. This latest example has swung me to the point where Im in the sack Jack camp based on the fact I dont want to see him wearing green again.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Who were the people who claimed to have seen the footage full of coward punches and haymakers? Maybe they watched a Jason Bourne clip by mistake.

That was just some slow motion fighting and pushing from a Very drunk individual.

Half a season is a big suspension, so I expected much much worse than what I just saw.

He definitely deserved some solid punishment for fighting innocent people, but it wasn’t like the victims were trying to move away. If they were really scared for their safety they could have walked away pretty easily, not hung around talking.

I’m surprised that people feel more outraged after seeing the footage, than after hearing the initial reports. I’m the opposite myself.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

The violent nature is on display.

The complete lack of common decency for people is on display.

The lack of respect is on display.

The arrogance and narcissism is on display.

The lack of care for other people's wellbeing is on display.

The only thing that saves Jack Wighton, is his inability to throw a punch like a man. The young kid he attacks has a better hit than him, and I for one want to shake the mans hand. It's just a pity Jack didn't hit the pavement.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

He's nothing short of a complete ****wit.

Embarrassing behaviour, especially with a young family at home.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@AndreaLNicolas

Canberra Raiders ⁦@NRL⁩ player Jack Wighton apologises to his victims outside court after receiving a 2 month suspended sentence and $3500 in fines for multiple assaults.
⁦@7NewsSydney⁩

https://twitter.com/AndreaLNicolas/stat ... 7418377216
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yep reading a carefully prepared statement from his lawyer definitely shows remorse
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:12 pm Image

@AndreaLNicolas

Canberra Raiders ⁦@NRL⁩ player Jack Wighton apologises to his victims outside court after receiving a 2 month suspended sentence and $3500 in fines for multiple assaults.
⁦@7NewsSydney⁩

Photo must be doctored af. Theres no way jack can read
Dont delete this GE
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Captain Punish wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:07 pm The violent nature is on display.

The complete lack of common decency for people is on display.

The lack of respect is on display.

The arrogance and narcissism is on display.

The lack of care for other people's wellbeing is on display.

The only thing that saves Jack Wighton, is his inability to throw a punch like a man. The young kid he attacks has a better hit than him, and I for one want to shake the mans hand. It's just a pity Jack didn't hit the pavement.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
yea that was the only half decent punch landed and it was from what looked liked a 14 year old kid on Wighton.
I assume his "mate" was also charged? he threw a lot more serious punches than Wighton did? Although Wighton really does come out looking like an absolute tool and fully deserves his punishment without being able to tell if there was any prior Provacation be it verbal or physical
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I didn’t believe the story that he walked up to people unprovoked and started head butting and punching them.
After watching that it seems even more likely that one or more from that group was being a smart **** or otherwise.
Still deserved the ban, as he’s stupid for not walking away as an NRL player. But I don’t know why the club didn’t run a PR story about poor NRL player like Jack getting constantly egged on while out to change the narrative...

I think the video is right in the middle of being quite tame, and matching earlier descriptions. So I don’t think it will change many opinions, as it’s easy to see what you want to see.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Georgie Rose has lost weight
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Post by thedevilingreen »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah, put me down for that being a lot tamer than I thought it would be too.

Shame the second half of the video is blurred out mainly and you can't tell what's going on.

Coward punch no... walk up and belt someone for no reason yes

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

thedevilingreen wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:16 pm
The Nickman wrote:Yeah, put me down for that being a lot tamer than I thought it would be too.

Coward punch no... walk up and belt someone for no reason yes

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
"Wighton punch"?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

simo wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:15 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 14, 2018, 1:12 pm Image

@AndreaLNicolas

⁦@7NewsSydney⁩

Photo must be doctored af. Theres no way jack can read
There's a reason he appears to be concentrating more intensely than a heart surgeon.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The best thing about that video is the only good punch that lands is from the little fella in the Adidas tracksuit on Wightons melon after being picked on.

Honestly looks like the dumb **** was very lucky not to stir up the wrong bloke. Now I couldn’t fight my way out of a paper bag but if some fella did that to a plethora of blokes I know, and obviously way more that I don’t, it wouldn’t have been a happy ending for him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Guy young bloke being assaulted putting one right on this dopey ****’s face really is the best part of this
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Post by Relax-init »

My issue is that the sentence is so bloody weak. Imagine if any of us, a 'Joe Bloggs' if you will, did this out in town and was charged. At best you would get a minimum two years suspended sentence and probably 8 months in jail for a first offence. Enjoying the luxury of life in a 2x2 concrete cell being pounded by 'Big Red' and crying yourself to sleep. The sentence was a complete joke and an insult to the guys assaulted and for anyone who has been assaulted like this.

Then you have the instagram post this week by his wife showing him wasted and raging about the case and calling names... I mean this guy needs to be off the drink and in rehab if not jail.

#F-Gradecelebs #letoff
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton avoids jail over Canberra city attack

Canberra Raiders player Jack Wighton has avoided time behind bars after pleading guilty to several charges, including assault, during an alcohol-fuelled attack in the city centre earlier this year. He was handed a suspended two-month sentence, a one year good behaviour bond and a $3,500 fine in the ACT Magistrates Court today over the six charges, which also include public urination.

In court, Whighton said his family had paid the price for his actions, saying "it has been difficult on everyone". "You are very fortunate no worse harm came to your victims," Magistrate Boss said.

Read more and vision: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-14/ ... t/10495980

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cctv-footag ... 10109.html

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/11/14/13/ ... cial-9News
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Nothing but soft jabs, and lets find out what his mate got? At no stage tried to stop it only provokednit then joined in.

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yeah put me down with the others saying that is way tamer than I was expecting. He did more damage to Feki in Round 1 of 2017 from memory.

Hopefully all this is the reality check the bloke needs, I doubt it but you'd hope that they've sat him down and explained that he could've gone to jail and then come out to a regular job on a paltry wage. We can only hope. He needs to pull himself together big time and the club needs to tell him he's off the grog and not to go to the city anymore or there are consequences.

Anyway....onward and upwards for the Canberra Raiders then :lol:
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Verbal provocation is no excuse to lay your hands on anybody. Some degenerate **** made a passing comment to me in broad daylight in civic a few weeks ago "how much for your children". I squared up to him then thought better of it, because I'm a responsible adult with a family to provide for.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Matt wrote:I expected that to be much much much worse TBH.
You placed way too much credit on the hyperbolic and shrill shriekings of others.

And do we know Jack earns $750k per season, or is that another anecdote we take as fact?

Jack's behaviour is bad. It's a drunken/ high **** engaged in unnecessary violent behavior. I think the punishment fits the crime.

And yes, the court considers his income, and maybe someone can reveal what the maximum penalty is for common assault.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.